Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling rapid decay of enthusiasm

Comments

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Im not sure why anyone is surprised that a game with this much unfounded hype is now comming back down to earth.

Yeah because a game with no endgame was going to be game of the century or whatever...right?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by smh_alot

Elikal, you have a serious problem. It seems that no matter what MMO you play, you're left unsatisfied very soon. I have no solutions for that for you, alas.
    I can relate with the skills, although the elite ones are kinda expensive. As for people talking, well, no matter what MMO, guilds are often the best way to help with that, and dungeons require more group coordination than adhoc groups in open world zones.
    Someone was talking about the Personal Story, I also had parts where I had to redo a scene 5-10 times, like the circus encounter with a mesmer was particularly hard. I also found a bug at around L60ish where the Personal Story never went to the next stage where you could leave the cave. Looking it up, seems to be a real bug that happens under certain conditions. Still have to retry that one again, felt kinda discouraged after having played 1-2 hours only to be stuck and have to do it all over again.

His problem is he's looking for SWG, and no modern MMO will likely ever be built like that again so no title will ever truly satisfy. I have the same issue due to DAOC.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I really don't know if I buy the whole "you're just playing too much and are burnt out" thing.

I see that argument come up a lot in defense of a game when people start saying they're growing bored or uninterested with it. Thing is, in most every example I can think of, those very games started to decline notably in population not long after. Most recent example being TOR. People said exactly the same thing about TOR when someone would mention being bored with it. "Oh, you're just playing too much. Take a break". Lo and behold, TOR's population began a significant loss in population a short time later.

It just seems like an overtly apologetic response to me. "It's not the game. It's you."

When I was playing FFXI full time, I played for months on end, non-stop. I played pretty much daily. I'd take a break from the game for maybe a week out of the year, and that was usually only 'cause I was fed up with some of the people playing it. The game itself gave me plenty to do, it didn't spoon-feed me and it didn't throw stuff at me like candy. Boredom was never an issue.

Lineage 2 kept me hooked for almost 2 years straight before I took my first break from it, which lasted a few months. Again, plenty to do, lots going on with its dynamic player politics, sieges and other activities. Again, boredom was never an issue.

EQ2 kept me hooked for several months before I started to lose interest, and that was more because I wasn't happy with the changes SOE was making in response to WoW's success.

And so on.

The difference is those games were designed for long-term adventure, which is one of the core elements of MMORPGs that made them stand out as their own genre early on. It's that long-term adventure that's been mostly lost in newer MMOs.

The problem as I see it isn't that people are simply "playing too much". It's that MMOs aren't designed for that long-term enjoyment anymore. They're designed for short-term consumption. Modern MMO devs have all but abandoned so much of what made MMOs what they were, all in the name of making them "more accessible" (which is just a euphemism for "dumbed down and streamlined for mass appeal").

The cynical (or those speaking from ignorance) will say "oh they were just artificially dragged out to make you play longer". No, they weren't. My time in L2, FFXI, EQ2, Anarchy Online and even AC2 while it was around was never "artificially extended". It was full time. I was always doing something. Questing,leveling, doing missions, unlocking new jobs, exploring, and so on.  Those games provided far more to do than just "level grinding". If someone chose to do nothing but level, then yes, it would be nothing but an "endless level grind" for them. That would also be their own doing, not the game's.

Two things happened with the MMORPG genre that has diminished it...

1. A new population of console-minded gamers flooded the MMO genre and swiftly began demanding the games be changed to suit their console gameplay habits. Instead of recognizing the differences between standard console RPGs and a MMORPG and adapting,t hey demanded the MMO's be made more like their console RPGs.

2. Seeing the big money WoW was making by popularizing the genre, a flood of new MMO developers cropped up, few of which seemed to have any clue of what the differences between MMORPGs and standard console RPGs were either. They were just trying to get a piece of the Blizzard pie.

When I get into a new MMO, I *want* it to keep me hooked for months, even years on end. I'm looking for a long-term hobby, not a short-term "finish it and move on" deal. When it doesn't, and I find I'm growing bored with it after a few weeks, I'm disappointed.

To bring MMOs closer to what made them great and engaging to begin with, back to what got the folks at Blizzard excited about making one of their own in the first place, it's going to require many players to open their minds and stop trying to force their console gaming habits into a very non console-like gaming genre. I'd like to see it happen, but I'm not holding my breath. Too many people seem perfectly content to power-game their way through everything, get bored, move on to the next game and do exactly the same thing.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Elikal

EDIT: I never thought I'd say that, but I liked the quests and classes from SWTOR better. Sue me...

got to agree here, as much kill X and collect X SWTOR had, at least it wrapped a compelling and motivating story around it.

Questing fun and overall variety: TSW > SWTOR>...long break > GW2

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    Elikal, you have a serious problem. It seems that no matter what MMO you play, you're left unsatisfied very soon. I have no solutions for that for you, alas.

I can relate with the skills, although the elite ones are kinda expensive. As for people talking, well, no matter what MMO, guilds are often the best way to help with that, and dungeons require more group coordination than adhoc groups in open world zones.

Someone was talking about the Personal Story, I also had parts where I had to redo a scene 5-10 times, like the circus encounter with a mesmer was particularly hard. I also found a bug at around L60ish where the Personal Story never went to the next stage where you could leave the cave. Looking it up, seems to be a real bug that happens under certain conditions. Still have to retry that one again, felt kinda discouraged after having played 1-2 hours only to be stuck and have to do it all over again.

His problem is he's looking for SWG, and no modern MMO will likely ever be built like that again so no title will ever truly satisfy. I have the same issue due to DAOC.

Mine would be UO, though I am sure I would like pre-NGE SWG as well. Actually I propably would like it more than UO since it seemed more fit for my tastes and more interesting features wise.

I just had long years break in playing mmorpg's so when I started to look again for serious it was already post-NGE so I did not even bother after reading in details what was changed.

Bitter vets huh? :p

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    All good things come to an end OP. But you did have fun didn't you? that is how long majority of themepark last anyways. A month or two and then you need something new.
  • caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by halflife25
    All good things come to an end OP. But you did have fun didn't you? that is how long majority of themepark last anyways. A month or two and then you need something new.

Yea it's a sad state that all these new mmorpgs last about a month or two... unlike the quality ones from back in the day that lasted years and some over a decade...

Really gives you some perspective when people try to label gw2 as some sorta shatterer of the mold. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

That "fact" is usually used as proof that a game is a failure - it didn't have legs, or hold a player's interest long-term, which has been the common standard in evaluating MMOs.  An MMO that doesn't draw a player in for the long-haul is a bad game.

I lost interest in this game very rapidly.  It's gameplay is just as vapid, meaningless, and repetitive as any other themepark's.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I too feel there is missing something to work towards. I wish we didn't unlock all weapon skills at level 10 (or whatever)

The only thing to look forward now is... eh I don't know actually.

Ohyeah gold to buy armor and dyes and stuff.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I said it many times before -the idea that youunlock all possible skills in first hour of the game is just opposite from what MMOplayers are looking for. Usually when i unlock all abilities, i lose interest in MMO. In GW2 you had to hunt for new skills, often had tu hunt and farm champion encounters in dangerous missions. Why they descided to drop this genial system was beyondme,and one of things i always feared to be potential downfall of the game. Which now it proves to be the fact. I still much lovethe game anddont feel boredom, but i hope they realise their mistake and start addingnew unlockable skills. (in form of new special weapon skills)

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

My first toon (elementalist) reached level 80 last week. Tons of fun and haven't finished explored all of the human lands. Visited the Norn and SIlvari areas for some of the storyline quests, which I finished. Since then, I have been participating in W v W for about an hour every other day. I have no intention to roll a new toon yet. I want to take a break from questing and exploring.

The W v W in the server I play (Henge of Denravi) happens to be the top server and have been good times. Last week Stormbluff Isle server was winning by a large margin. We were worried because by Tuesday they were still winning and then by Thursday we catched up and won again. For this week, we got paired with Jade Quarry, they are pushing it hard but we are winning so far. And also got paired again with Stormbluff Isle, which is in third place at the moment. Previously paired with Eredon Terrace, but they weren't paired this time. Our server is most of the time full and WvW queue can take an hour or more depending at what time I join. I think the sieging makes W v W interesting, otherwise it would be zerg fest all the time.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443
    I've been playing but that starting buzz died very quickly, found that I have been missing Wow and Even ToR so heading back to them to see whats going on with them, great thing about games is they dont get pissed if you dump one to get back togther with and old one, might be back to GW2 in 6 months or so.
  • OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

I enjoyed the game alot and played a bit every day untill one day i didnt feel like playing and from that day on i never logged back in.

I think its a good game but it cannot hold my attention and have actually unistalled it today after cleaning up my pc. I also wont be comming back to try it again when they release a xpack or whatever.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This game did not even last 1 week for me. There are just better games out there to play. The only thing that will save this genre is a polished Sandbox game or a game that takes the best of sandbox and themepark and brings it all together. Dumbed down themepark games like this will never be more then just games you play for a month.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

I really don't know if I buy the whole "you're just playing too much and are burnt out" thing.I see that argument come up a lot in defense of a game when people start saying they're growing bored or uninterested with it. Thing is, in most every example I can think of, those very games started to decline notably in population not long after. Most recent example being TOR. People said exactly the same thing about TOR when someone would mention being bored with it. "Oh, you're just playing too much. Take a break". Lo and behold, TOR's population began a significant loss in population a short time later.It just seems like an overtly apologetic response to me. "It's not the game. It's you."When I was playing FFXI full time, I played for months on end, non-stop. I played pretty much daily. I'd take a break from the game for maybe a week out of the year, and that was usually only 'cause I was fed up with some of the people playing it. The game itself gave me plenty to do, it didn't spoon-feed me and it didn't throw stuff at me like candy. Boredom was never an issue.Lineage 2 kept me hooked for almost 2 years straight before I took my first break from it, which lasted a few months. Again, plenty to do, lots going on with its dynamic player politics, sieges and other activities. Again, boredom was never an issue.EQ2 kept me hooked for several months before I started to lose interest, and that was more because I wasn't happy with the changes SOE was making in response to WoW's success.And so on.The difference is those games were designed for long-term adventure, which is one of the core elements of MMORPGs that made them stand out as their own genre early on. It's that long-term adventure that's been mostly lost in newer MMOs.The problem as I see it isn't that people are simply "playing too much". It's that MMOs aren't designed for that long-term enjoyment anymore. They're designed for short-term consumption. Modern MMO devs have all but abandoned so much of what made MMOs what they were, all in the name of making them "more accessible" (which is just a euphemism for "dumbed down and streamlined for mass appeal").The cynical (or those speaking from ignorance) will say "oh they were just artificially dragged out to make you play longer". No, they weren't. My time in L2, FFXI, EQ2, Anarchy Online and even AC2 while it was around was never "artificially extended". It was full time. I was always doing something. Questing,leveling, doing missions, unlocking new jobs, exploring, and so on.  Those games provided far more to do than just "level grinding". If someone chose to do nothing but level, then yes, it would be nothing but an "endless level grind" for them. That would also be their own doing, not the game's.Two things happened with the MMORPG genre that has diminished it...1. A new population of console-minded gamers flooded the MMO genre and swiftly began demanding the games be changed to suit their console gameplay habits. Instead of recognizing the differences between standard console RPGs and a MMORPG and adapting,t hey demanded the MMO's be made more like their console RPGs.2. Seeing the big money WoW was making by popularizing the genre, a flood of new MMO developers cropped up, few of which seemed to have any clue of what the differences between MMORPGs and standard console RPGs were either. They were just trying to get a piece of the Blizzard pie.When I get into a new MMO, I *want* it to keep me hooked for months, even years on end. I'm looking for a long-term hobby, not a short-term "finish it and move on" deal. When it doesn't, and I find I'm growing bored with it after a few weeks, I'm disappointed.To bring MMOs closer to what made them great and engaging to begin with, back to what got the folks at Blizzard excited about making one of their own in the first place, it's going to require many players to open their minds and stop trying to force their console gaming habits into a very non console-like gaming genre. I'd like to see it happen, but I'm not holding my breath. Too many people seem perfectly content to power-game their way through everything, get bored, move on to the next game and do exactly the same thing.  

Yeah, I question this. My question of everyone stating it like this, is 'if those oldschool MMO's were brought back exactly as they were, would you play them?' Maybe many'll say yes, but in reality I think it'll be only a very small group despite the fuzzy feelings many have for them. EQ got a few classic servers opened up that were EXACTLY like how EQ was back in those early years. Yet after a few months, a fragment of the population remained.

The old MMO's stretched the playing time by introducting their own repetitive, grind elements. It was only that people had a higher tolerance for it back then: less choice of MMO's, it was all still new and wonderful. However, I'm pretty sure that after years of MMO gaming, that when MMO's with those same mechanics get introduced, that many of even those first generation MMO gamers (myself included) won't have the tolerance to accept it anymore. It had been fun back in those days when it was all new, but things have changed. After many years of MMO gaming and having played like that and life in general, I have changed too.

I call it the law of diminishing returns. After years of experiencing them, some mechanics and gameplay aspects simply won't deliver the same level of fun as they did when you first experienced them. For one person, that may be after a thousand hours, for another after ten thousand hours, but it will happen. So no, I very much doubt that certain old mechanics that were commonly used in older MMO's will be that succesful and a holy grail of fun deliverance as some here may hope for. There was a reason why some mechanics stayed and others got replaced. Some of those simply weren't as fun anymore, even among the first generation MMO gamers.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Ryowulf What's the point of this thread? You are making a statement. You aren't asking for help or trying to start a debate. Do you think people are really interested in how you are feeling at any given moment? (that's what facebook is for) Maybe you are looking for advice in some round about way, so I would say go do something else that interests you.
    I normally wouldn't respond to this, but, if you can't find a point to his thread, then don't bother reading it or replying to it.  There is no point in complaining about it.   Is it against the rules of conduct to say you are bored with a game?

LOL, Yeah, What's the point of posting a pointless post in a thread you find pointless?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    I feel your pain about skills and abilities.  It is my biggest complaint of the game and I feel that there should be 10 times as many elites and utilities at a minimum but I would also like to see different weapon skill set ups.  If there is going to be skills tied to weapons (my other major complaint) then there should be different skill choices at specific levels.  I think there should be 3 tiers of weapon skils that open up at level 50 and then 70.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Ryowulf What's the point of this thread? You are making a statement. You aren't asking for help or trying to start a debate. Do you think people are really interested in how you are feeling at any given moment? (that's what facebook is for) Maybe you are looking for advice in some round about way, so I would say go do something else that interests you.
    I normally wouldn't respond to this, but, if you can't find a point to his thread, then don't bother reading it or replying to it.  There is no point in complaining about it.   Is it against the rules of conduct to say you are bored with a game?

LOL, Yeah, What's the point of posting a pointless post in a thread you find pointless?

I think its pointless to post in a pointless thread and to reply is aslo pointless, I think we should just kill our selves as its all so pointless!

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    People may hate me for saying this but there's no end game. At all. I find zero enjoyment in WvW because it usually involves either ripping someone's face off or getting your face ripped off cause only one server dominates WvW. Very rarely have I seen 3 servers controlling WvW equally and having a battle where anyone can win. That's the stuff I used to see in AB... Welp I leveled one char all the way to 80 and haven't been able to log back in. Waiting on the other damn half of the game. 
  • prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

I suppose it depends on the circle you hang with.  A bunch of people in my guild blitzed to 80 and complained about begin bored.  The rest of us laughed and ate a cookie in their honor.  It's amazing how people think that GW2 is simply a vertical progression game.  It's much more than that, as was Guild Wars 1.  I guess some get it, and some don't.

By the way, if you do ANYTHING without taking a break, it gets a bit old.  I've taken a couple breaks and played other games on certain days.  Then I start thinking, "I have so many zones to complete!" and log right back into Guild Wars 2.  Just me, but that's my thought.

This game is nothing like GW1. The game would start off when you hit level cap.  GW2 kinda ends with level cap which is sad.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by prpshrt
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

I suppose it depends on the circle you hang with.  A bunch of people in my guild blitzed to 80 and complained about begin bored.  The rest of us laughed and ate a cookie in their honor.  It's amazing how people think that GW2 is simply a vertical progression game.  It's much more than that, as was Guild Wars 1.  I guess some get it, and some don't.

By the way, if you do ANYTHING without taking a break, it gets a bit old.  I've taken a couple breaks and played other games on certain days.  Then I start thinking, "I have so many zones to complete!" and log right back into Guild Wars 2.  Just me, but that's my thought.

This game is nothing like GW1. The game would start off when you hit level cap.  GW2 kinda ends with level cap which is sad.

I was thinking about it too. GW1 was a better game then this. All they needed to do was make it not instanced and open world.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by prpshrt
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr I suppose it depends on the circle you hang with.  A bunch of people in my guild blitzed to 80 and complained about begin bored.  The rest of us laughed and ate a cookie in their honor.  It's amazing how people think that GW2 is simply a vertical progression game.  It's much more than that, as was Guild Wars 1.  I guess some get it, and some don't. By the way, if you do ANYTHING without taking a break, it gets a bit old.  I've taken a couple breaks and played other games on certain days.  Then I start thinking, "I have so many zones to complete!" and log right back into Guild Wars 2.  Just me, but that's my thought.

It does? Why do I still have things to do at level cap then? I felt like there was nothing left to do when I hit level cap in other games, why is there a need to reach level cap to start playing the game.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by caetftl

Yea it's a sad state that all these new mmorpgs last about a month or two... unlike the quality ones from back in the day that lasted years and some over a decade...

Really gives you some perspective when people try to label gw2 as some sorta shatterer of the mold. 

Honestly if any of the oldschool mmo's would be brought back with updated state of the graphics and engine, but everything else just like it were, I doubt they would get that big audience after the initial rush. The games felt better simply because they were new and exciting, the genre isnt new and exciting anymore. AO was ultra exciting to me since I had no idea of the scope of the game, of what I can do, achieve, everything was huge and exciting for a long time, with no questions like "how big is the game world?"

I still had much of that feeling left in WoW. But at some point it vanished and I started to look more closely about the development and features of the games, and all of a sudden mmorpgs became "just games" when they used to be a lot more. The oldschool games were "just games" too, many people just didnt feel like it back then when it was new and exciting.

That being said, I dont see anything new and exciting on the horizon when it comes to this genre. Right now you either accept the situation and pick up a game that has most of the features and gameplay that you like, or just be done with the genre untill something really new comes along. Propably not much chances for that, since pretty much everything in gaming has been done already what is possible with todays hardware, and no company will make a game "just for you" in mind, oh boy would it be fun to get a mmorpg where you decided on all of the features and mechanics!

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

I don't get the whole "take a break" argument in any game to be perfectly honest. If you have to take breaks, that probably means you don't like the game as much as you think you do.

You were caught up in "new and shiny" for two weeks and thats when it starts getting to you.

If I like the game I will probably play it as musch as I can because I enjoy it so much.

If you get "burnt out" that just means you were bored from the very beginning and this was just the breaking point.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Kalmarth

Originally posted by GeezerGamer  

I think its pointless to post in a pointless thread and to reply is aslo pointless, I think we should just kill our selves as its all so pointless!
    So what's your point? lol
This discussion has been closed.