Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Fail?

Comments

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I wrote a lot, no need though ;) Ty for the reply.

I'll asume that is to me, so your welcome! Wish I knew what you wrote :P

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    Said this before, say it now, and will still say it in the future GW2 is not a ESPORT and will never qualify (in my mind) as one. Laters.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I like GW2. I don't love it as the be all end all of gaming. 

I started playing FTL, Torchlight and DOA5 because they fill gaming needs not filled by gw2. 

GW2 has pretty good starting content for the moment. It has a few reasonably long term goals but not all the cracks are filled with gooey gw2 goodness. There are many features that they announced but are not in the game YET.

While I have finished a reasonable chunk of GW2 - maybe 50-65% of all the content in the game. I am really waiting for content.

GW1 boasted more fun/challenging pvp modes. 

Random arena, team arena, HoH/HA

While W v W is fun the spvp does not really feel as competitive as it should. (I have done a free tournament and that was pretty good, I am speaking mainly about the hot join pvp) The hot swapping players on teams make it feel a lot less....structured than it should be. Random Arena would group you up with 3 other people and send you to battle 4 other people. You would fight until the other team died or quit.  The spvp in GW2 feels...less epic when you win.

And challenging endgame PVE.

FoW - Fissure of Woe, UW - Underworld

I completely expected something outside the dungeons. I absolutely thought there would be at least one of those places on release. While not 'release day content' I couldn't help but feel like it was a big loss for GW2.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by rexzshadow
    Said this before, say it now, and will still say it in the future GW2 is not a ESPORT and will never qualify (in my mind) as one. Laters.

Yes it will. Just once an observer function is installed it will be export. Right now, the lack of the ability to view things on the entire map is hindering it from its potential. It has everything else though respective ness, individuality, tactics, styles, builds, teamwork, and guilds/ organized groups. All it needs are some of the minor functions similar to sc2 and lol. 

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by halflife25

If you mean failed on personal level i can not comment on that. But it is not a financial failure. However, as far as long term success goes too soon to comment on that. Player retention si the key, yes even for B2P model because you need to keep your players interested so that they spend money on cash shop and also buy future expansions.

So if they fail to retain players means low population which would lead to server merges. GW2 is designed in a way that you need decent populaiton to get things done especially once you enter lvl 70 to 80 zones.

it is pvp game after all .so of course the game will collapse if population get low 

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

I played since release almost solely instant lvl 80 pvp, doing almost no pve just up to almost lvl 30.

I have to say Iam really disappointed about class balance and here especially about balance between dmg and defensive builds. There is so much broken in this game when it comes to pvp.

Condition dmg scales utterly bad for certain classes, burst dmg is over the top, the correlation between defense and burst is out of hand except you run certain classes like a guardian. The combat log is only half done, you dont see dmg mitigation, you dont see all of your own done dmg to the opponent, you dont see when you block attacks.....

Just some examples out of many:

You cant get out of individual spells like Moa, which changes you for 10 seconds into a bird...its a free kill, no pvp signet to get out of it. Mist form from elementalist, which morphs you into an invulnerable form doesnt help you against condition dmg. Condition dmg does not get mignated by higher defensive stats, burst classes like the thief or warrior can kill you in a finger snip doesnt matter if you have higher toughness or not..some classes can kill in seconds with just 2 buttons, wheras other classes have to invest a lot of time and effort.

Honestly, I almost dont want to say it but SWTOR pvp was better than GW2, except the smuggler madness. And Swtor was already not that great. GW2  feels like it was rushed and released too early.

If this game would be based on subscribtions it would get a nose dive.

Originally posted by spizz

I played since release almost solely instant lvl 80 pvp, doing almost no pve just up to almost lvl 30.

I have to say Iam really disappointed about class balance and here especially about balance between dmg and defensive builds. There is so much broken in this game when it comes to pvp.

Condition dmg scales utterly bad for certain classes, burst dmg is over the top, the correlation between defense and burst is out of hand except you run certain classes like a guardian. The combat log is only half done, you dont see dmg mitigation, you dont see all of your own done dmg to the opponent, you dont see when you block attacks.....

Just some examples out of many:

You cant get out of individual spells like Moa, which changes you for 10 seconds into a bird...its a free kill, no pvp signet to get out of it. Mist form from elementalist, which morphs you into an invulnerable form doesnt help you against condition dmg. Condition dmg does not get mignated by higher defensive stats, burst classes like the thief or warrior can kill you in a finger snip doesnt matter if you have higher toughness or not..some classes can kill in seconds with just 2 buttons, wheras other classes have to invest a lot of time and effort.

Honestly, I almost dont want to say it but SWTOR pvp was better than GW2, except the smuggler madness. And Swtor was already not that great. GW2  feels like it was rushed and released too early.

If this game would be based on subscribtions it would get a nose dive.

Atleast it can be fixed. Gw1 probably had some of the most balanced pvp out there. It has been rough so far, but in reality I do not see one class just completely owning all the other like in swtor. They are also making active changes, unlike swtor which wired for an embarrassingly long amount of time. I can beat any other class with my engineer. things are not hard to counter. Moa is an incredbly annoying skill, but I have yet to die from being moad. I even got a kill while I was Moa. Just run away, mesmers do not have any good cripple/ freeze/ pull skills. So just run from them. Warrior suck IMO. I don't see how people consider them op. 

Originally posted by lotaparty
    Originally posted by halflife25

If you mean failed on personal level i can not comment on that. But it is not a financial failure. However, as far as long term success goes too soon to comment on that. Player retention si the key, yes even for B2P model because you need to keep your players interested so that they spend money on cash shop and also buy future expansions.

So if they fail to retain players means low population which would lead to server merges. GW2 is designed in a way that you need decent populaiton to get things done especially once you enter lvl 70 to 80 zones.

it is pvp game after all .so of course the game will collapse if population get low 

Not exactly. But I get where your coming from. Pvp will probably take the biggest hit should pop get low. However, pve should still do decent thanks to guilds and the natural teamwork that happens in this game. People will simply be more concentrated in the pve world, which would be interesting to see.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by eAzydaman

WOW has never been challenging. Talk about carebear casual friendly crap. I love that GW2 doesn't reward people for not having a life outside gaming. You shouldn't have an easier time in PVP just because you play 10 hours a day.

But my lvl  80 fully geared warrior decimates any lower levels in wvw artificially boosted toons - so think what you will, gear and levels do play a huge part in gw2

Lol yeah maybe low levels but getting to max level in this game is fairly easy and I have a hard time seeing that you would kill someone who is above you in terms of skill even if he has green lvl 80 gear and you have full exotics.

In WOW the combat itself requires no skill so gear and builds determines EVERYTHING. In GW2 the combat allows for a huge learning curve and people who master the game better than others in terms of reflexes, planning etc will win fights against lesser skilled players, that's just fact.

Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Finally an mmo for those of us who don't wanna just get to the "end game" real quick. Reminds me of the old days when building was just as important.

nice excuse for having no endgame at all. Well played

What kind of endgame do you want? Some of us are content with WvWvW and sPVP ya know. Raiding and gear treadmilling is useless and a waste of time IMO.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Finally an mmo for those of us who don't wanna just get to the "end game" real quick. Reminds me of the old days when building was just as important.

What kind of endgame do you want? Some of us are content with WvWvW and sPVP ya know. Raiding and gear treadmilling is useless and a waste of time IMO.

What about the dress-up barbie treadmill? 

GW2 lacks an endgame because it gives you nothing that demands a high level of skill, to consistently work towards.  The sPvP is shallow, because the number of skills are shallow, and the conquest mode is boring. 

WvWvW is shallow, because in the end it doesn't really matter, and having a zerg will always matter the most.

PvE is shallow because of combat rezzing, low number of skills, no roles.  They didn't implement the abilities and movement in a way that makes you think you are mixing in up and are heavily engaged in a fight, they didn't design fights with a lot of creativity.  It becomes another rotation spamming game, but with less spells on the rotation. 

Originally posted by caetftl

GW2 lacks an endgame because it gives you nothing that demands a high level of skill, to consistently work towards.  The sPvP is shallow, because the number of skills are shallow, and the conquest mode is boring. 

WvWvW is shallow, because in the end it doesn't really matter, and having a zerg will always matter the most.

PvE is shallow because of combat rezzing, low number of skills, no roles.  They didn't implement the abilities and movement in a way that makes you think you are mixing in up and are heavily engaged in a fight, they didn't design fights with a lot of creativity.  It becomes another rotation spamming game, but with less spells on the rotation. 

Cool that's your opinion, i'll respect that. But if you think the combat is shallow and just another rotation spam your simply wrong. To be really good at this game you have to know every class skill in the game and every animation etc. So if I stick to my rotation and don't play reactionary I will loose fights. For example, if a warrior bull charges me I quickly have to either dodge or use an interrupt skill. In normal hotkey MMO's you just stand infront of eachother and spam skills.

And WvWvW is not just a zerg lol, few people can do alot, take out smaller zergs, take camps etc etc.  Like this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2teQTIs64

The combo system makes combat even more advanced.

Lastly name one AAA MMO that has more depth to combat and the same quality of gameplay as GW2. And don't say TERA because even though the combat system is pretty good the rest of the game is a joke.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

Guild Wars 2 turned out to be a really great game, and in term of quality, you can hardly find any title in the mmo-industry that can even compete to it. It pleased the fans and showed for the world, that there´s a game that can catch up to the hype surronding it.

It is not a WoW killer, nor is it the '' perfect '' game, however, it is, without a doubt an evolution in the industry in terms of quality and philosphy. It not a long-term game, but something, that was created to offer an enjoyable experience for some weeks/months, later on, you can only play it casually, loggin-in, just to meet old friends and play some pvp, and then off you go.

Guild Wars 2 is already is a sucsess, selling 2 million copies, and making a huge fan-base. Guild Wars 2 have basically turned it´s title, to a legendary one, sitting on the top of the mmo-industry. It is what Anet wanted, and this is what is happening right now.

I know, some people, will say ... this will end up like SWTOR, it is a fail, only WoW is the king. However, if these people have ever missed something, it is reality.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    If I were you I'd cancel my sub immediately and show ANET who's the boss!  image

I don't come to this site for the childish comments, immature threads, dumb fighting, nope.  What I come for is the laughs like this one.  lol   Thanks mate.   imageimage

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

It´s really funny how on every other MMOs people complain about "need moar endgame content" and "nothing new to do at level cap" but for GW2 it´s different, here they go like "Finally an MMO with no endgame!! Finally I can do the same thing at level cap I did as level 1! Whoah hand them over the innovation of the decade award - Oh Arenanet you so clever! And thanks for removing the need for group dependent play! Who needed that in an MMO anyway".. /facepalm

I wonder what the next "innovative" MMO developer will remove and substitute with.. nothing

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

It´s really funny how on every other MMOs people complain about "need moar endgame content" and "nothing new to do at level cap" but for GW2 it´s different, here they go like "Finally an MMO with no endgame!! Finally I can do the same thing at level cap I did as level 1! Whoah hand them over the innovation of the decade award - Oh Arenanet you so clever! And thanks for removing the need for group dependent play! Who needed that in an MMO anyway".. /facepalm

I wonder what the next "innovative" MMO developer will remove and substitute with.. nothing

People begin to realize that games aren´t job, and there´s no point in grinding nights and days, just to get that great sword, when the next month will include a sword even greater to '' GRIND '' for. If you like end-game, WoW is still there, and to be honest, I don´t think there´s a better company to give you enough content to keep you busy than Blizzard.

I play sPVP for the same reason someone would play counterstrike or LOL. I dont need progression, I wan't the challenge of fighting other players. Coming from 2 years of playing only starcraft 2 I'm happily awaiting the ladder system for sPVP, that will be enough in terms of progression for me.

I don't care about PVE,  If I could just get my exotics for free and start WvWvWing and sPVPing full time I WOULD. And for ppl who have similar feelings about MMO's will play this game for a very long time.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"We have made the first ever completely balanced mmo! We got rid of all those useless abilities! MMONext will have 1 dynamic button! That button will "revolutionize (tm)" combat! We feel having so many buttons is not ok. All you attacks will be be dynamically activated for any situation by our dynamic button!"

Put enough money behind it and it will sell 2 million.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Cool that's your opinion, i'll respect that. But if you think the combat is shallow and just another rotation spam your simply wrong. To be really good at this game you have to know every class skill in the game and every animation etc. So if I stick to my rotation and don't play reactionary I will loose fights. For example, if a warrior bull charges me I quickly have to either dodge or use an interrupt skill. In normal hotkey MMO's you just stand infront of eachother and spam skills.

And WvWvW is not just a zerg lol, few people can do alot, take out smaller zergs, take camps etc etc.  Like this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2teQTIs64

Lastly name one AAA MMO that has more depth to combat and the same quality of gameplay as GW2. And don't say TERA because even though the combat system is pretty good the rest of the game is a joke.

PvE is a rotation spam, PvP is just shallow because there are so few skills... compared to wow, where each opponent you fought had at least 20-40 useful pvp skills that had to be used at the right time to give them small advantages or big ones.

WvW is a zerg, you can not accomplish the most important objectives in wvw without a zerg. 

I think almost every big budget mmo to date, has more depth in combat than gw2.  As for quality of gameplay, that is obviously subjective, and we know which side of the fence you fall on for that, but regardless of what you believe, there are MANY others that seem to be sharing the sentiment that the game has little substance and got boring fast. 

In the business world when you want to grow, you figure out how to attract and create new loyal customers, you don't worry about retaining the ones that think you can do no wrong. 

Unfortunately there are only a few decent looking MMOs coming up within the next couple of years, and the success rate of mmos is not high for all these hyped up games...

I've been told by friends at blizzard that Titan is Team Fortress meets WoW... who knows exactly how that will work. 

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by eGumball

People begin to realize that games aren´t job, and there´s no point in grinding nights and days, just to get that great sword, when the next month will include a sword even greater to '' GRIND '' for. If you like end-game, WoW is still there, and to be honest, I don´t think there´s a better company to give you enough content to keep you busy than Blizzard.

Sorry, but I never played any MMO like a job, and I hate everything about WoW, especially the whole setting and the pointless grind.  In fact I played SWTOR for story and character progression, it was fun and motivating until 50, even shortly after but as I said I don´t grind. 

Right now I only play EvE and Secret World, and I am waiting for World of Darkness, so you see I am not the GW2 audience, because Gw2 seems like a kind of "action multiplayer online something". I can´t play it for story (weak), it´s not a real RPG, I can´t play it for character progression, I don´t like PvP in any MMO (pointless because  real PvP is twitch based IMHO). What the heck is Gw2 anyway? It should release on Xbox as a casual.. something.. "MOG" maybe. But MMORPG, it is not

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Sorry, but I never played any MMO like a job, and I hate everything about WoW, especially the whole setting and the pointless grind.  In fact I played SWTOR for story and character progression, it was fun and motivating until 50, even shortly after but as I said I don´t grind. Right now I only play EvE and Secret World, and I am waiting for World of Darkness, so you see I am not the GW2 audience, because Gw2 seems like a kind of "action multiplayer online something". I can´t play it for story (weak), it´s not a real RPG, I can´t play it for character progression, I don´t like PvP in any MMO (pointless because  real PvP is twitch based IMHO). What the heck is Gw2 anyway? It should release on Xbox as a casual.. something.. "MOG" maybe. But MMORPG, it is not

GW2 is an MMORPG, only maybe not one that you enjoy with the things you're looking for in your MMO gaming time. I play both GW2 and TSW, and have fun in both, only for different reasons. To me they're clearly and obviously MMORPG's, next to other MMORPG's that I don't play and that I dislike - but my disliking those other MMORPG's doesn't make them any less MMORPG even if they don't have the things that I enjoy in an MMORPG in them.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow has "no endgame"

It has a whole bunch of boring raids I have no intention of ever playing

It doesn't have WvW or anything even halfway as good.

PvE is a rotation spam, PvP is just shallow because there are so few skills... compared to wow, where each opponent you fought had at least 20-40 useful pvp skills that had to be used at the right time to give them small advantages or big ones.

WvW is a zerg, you can not accomplish the most important objectives in wvw without a zerg. 

I think almost every big budget mmo to date, has more depth in combat than gw2.  As for quality of gameplay, that is obviously subjective, and we know which side of the fence you fall on for that, but regardless of what you believe, there are MANY others that seem to be sharing the sentiment that the game has little substance and got boring fast. 

In the business world when you want to grow, you figure out how to attract and create new loyal customers, you don't worry about retaining the ones that think you can do no wrong. 

Unfortunately there are only a few decent looking MMOs coming up within the next couple of years, and the success rate of mmos is not high for all these hyped up games...

I've been told by friends at blizzard that Titan is Team Fortress meets WoW... who knows exactly how that will work. 

That's ALL your opinion. Hotkey based MMO's is just slamming your face on the keyboard. When I played WOW I could chat with friends and drink coffea and eat food while playing, the game is so damn easy it's not even fun. You can't dodge, can't do combos you just stand there looking silly and trade punches. Doesn't matter how many skills you have on your hotbar, far from everyone of them are useful. And how hard is it to push through a set rotation of skills. You don't even have to move.

Sure you could make combat even more skill based but GW2 is a really good start. AoC had a pretty nice system too before they made the combos easymode. Active shielding is really nice too.

Alot of WOW's success is due to how easy it is and the short learning curve. Why do you think alot of people play that game with their wife's and kids?

That's ALL your opinion. Hotkey based MMO's is just slamming your face on the keyboard. When I played WOW I could chat with friends and drink coffea and eat food while playing, the game is so damn easy it's not even fun. You can't dodge, can't do combos you just stand there looking silly and trade punches. Doesn't matter how many skills you have on your hotbar, far from everyone of them are useful. And how hard is it to push through a set rotation of skills. You don't even have to move.

Sure you could make combat even more skill based but GW2 is a really good start. AoC had a pretty nice system too before they made the combos easymode. Active shielding is really nice too.

Alot of WOW's success is due to how easy it is and the short learning curve. Why do you think alot of people play that game with their wife's and kids?

Don't worry if you were in a top progression guild or on a top rated arena team, you couldn't do that while playing WoW.

Also WoW had combos, but they were called "playing efficiently", just because something is labeled a combo and something isn't labeled a combo doesn't mean the dynamic isn't the same. 

As for the dodge... it's just another button to mash, it's no different than mashing a short cooldown mitigation spell that is called something else. 

Look past the fluff...

Don't worry if you were in a top progression guild or on a top rated arena team, you couldn't do that while playing WoW.

Also WoW had combos, but they were called "playing efficiently", just because something is labeled a combo and something isn't labeled a combo doesn't mean the dynamic isn't the same. 

As for the dodge... it's just another button to mash, it's no different than mashing a short cooldown mitigation spell that is called something else. 

Look past the fluff...

If that's really your opinion about the combat you must be one of the worst sPVP tourny players in the game. Dodge can be used in so many ways. Those who spam dodge are going to suck. The timing of a dodge is really narrow is some cases, it's twitch based.

There's a reason why WOW failed as an e-sport lmfao.