Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus for MoP... or not?

Comments

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    This thread is about 200 posts past being on topic.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Stx11
    Originally posted by bcbully

I still don't know where you are pulling that "160 Abilities across 3 Specs" from since most all Warlock abilities are shared across Specs and you were counting all the Passives and Pet Passives while not counting any of the Major or Minor GW2 Traits in your comparison.

I counted yesterday, My bad there are 139 for a warlock across all 3 specs.

http://www.wowhead.com/class=9#abilities

So once again playing your way, counting all Passives and Talents let's compare (and we'll just choose Necromancer because Warrior just wouldn't be fair to you):

Weapon Skills: 21 Main/Off-Hand (not counting Underwater)

Heals: 3 (won't count the Human Racial)

Utilities: 20 (once again not counting Racials)

Elites: 3 (not including racials again)

Minor Traits: 15

Major Traits: 60(!!!!)

So 21+3+20+15+60= 119 "Abilitites" (as you define them - I won't even pick on you for Corruption and Rain of Fire being doubled in the lists)... yeah 139 is more than 119 for sure. It's the difference between "omgzmazing depthz!!!" and "shallow" without a doubt...

Well, at least it does if you don't have an agenda or heavy bias >.>

I think I've said this before, but having a shitload of abilties doesn't automatically make something deeper.

This is especially the case when you take into consideration that many abilties in WoW tend to overlap in terms of what they do. Take the spells Wrath, Starfire, and Starsurge. These are the most common spells I remember using on my Balance Druid (Pre MoP, I don't know what's changed since I'm not playing WoW anymore). They all have different cast times and cooldowns, but when it comes down to it, they all only do one thing: flat damage.

I would say a lot more than this, but I've lost my train of thought, so I'll be back to finish this post when I remember what it is I was going to say.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    This thread is about 200 posts past being on topic.

That's because the OP has been confirmed - there was no "mass exodus" of players to MoP.

The GW2 Servers are well-populated and GW2 is back to #2 and #7 on Amazon's Bestsellers List (#2 only to EVE for $5) while MoP has already fallen to #6 and is trending down.

X-Fire isn't going to pick up many of the new people who just got the game but even there while hours are down there was no huge drop in players when MoP came out.

So instead Bully and I are having a fun discussion on Abilities... enjoy or skip as you prefer!

Originally posted by Enigmatus

I think I've said this before, but having a shitload of abilties doesn't automatically make something deeper.

This is especially the case when you take into consideration that many abilties in WoW tend to overlap in terms of what they do. Take the spells Wrath, Starfire, and Starsurge. These are the most common spells I remember using on my Balance Druid (Pre MoP, I don't know what's changed since I'm not playing WoW anymore). They all have different cast times and cooldowns, but when it comes down to it, they all only do one thing: flat damage.

I would say a lot more than this, but I've lost my train of thought, so I'll be back to finish this post when I remember what it is I was going to say.

I'll chip in!

The Abilities and Builds in GW2 offer a lot of depth and diversity in strategy and how they impact playstyle. Each Weapon and Utility Skill tends to have a unique and situational purpose beyond "direct damage" - they can spread or clear Conditions, Boon allies, grant Protection and they often synergize with each other in a good Build enhancing your play experience with skilled play.

Most GW2 Abilities do "double or triple duty" compared to WoW abilities - damage+condition+boon for example, and the best Builds for PvP or Dungeons require a lot more utility than WoW DPS specs.

People who have only spent their time following Zergs in Open World PvE or WvW without diving into all that Builds have to offer are missing out on a lot of depth. It is definitely there for the people who want it.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Just as an update -

imageimage

Wonder how we'll look in a week; seems to have weathered MoP very well.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    They actually lowered the player requirement for server readouts btw... you can check yourself, some servers are legitimately full, others list full when they are ghost towns at 3am in the morning.

I imagine they did this to show the game is holding strong.
    Originally posted by caetftl
    They actually lowered the player requirement for server readouts btw... you can check yourself, some servers are legitimately full, others list full when they are ghost towns at 3am in the morning. I imagine they did this to show the game is holding strong.

WHO PLAYS AT 3 AM IN THE MORNING!?

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    They actually lowered the player requirement for server readouts btw... you can check yourself, some servers are legitimately full, others list full when they are ghost towns at 3am in the morning. I imagine they did this to show the game is holding strong.

I just did. But I am a teen and have no school on weekends ;)

Originally posted by KingJiggly

Well I think you understand the base point I'm making: Who exactly would be playing at a time when most people are either asleep or about to go to sleep?

Well I think you understand the base point I'm making: Who exactly would be playing at a time when most people are either asleep or about to go to sleep?

You know there are other time zones, right? So it is completely possible the population are that high. I mean look at the people complaining about night capping in wvw. Obviously there have to be a lot of people to nightcap to take the entire world. Come on people! Think! Even I a 16 year old can figure this out.

Edit: contrary to popular belief, the world is not flat.

You know there are other time zones, right? So it is completely possible the population are that high. I mean look at the people complaining about night capping in wvw. Obviously there have to be a lot of people to nightcap to take the entire world. Come on people! Think! Even I a 16 year old can figure this out.

Point taken. I'm drowsy, it's 1:30 AM here.

Point taken. I'm drowsy, it's 1:30 AM here.

4:34 AM here

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    They raised not lowered sir. Follow the news.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Right now at 2:40 am MST, the NA WoW servers have 20 at either full or high.  The Oceanic servers, Australia and New Zealand mostly, all servers are either locked, full or high.  Not sure how it compares to previous ones but it seems like a lot of people are playing the new expansion.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    My horde server is always locked at night. EST.
  • krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122

new stats for saturday. gw2 at 38.5k, wow at 63.5k.  

comparing to last saturday (50.5k) it's a drop of 24%. last week the drop was from 65k to 50.5k (22.3%).

Originally posted by krakra70

comparing to last saturday (50.5k) it's a drop of 24%. last week the drop was from 65k to 50.5k (22.3%).

Stats aren't for Saturday... Sept 28 was Friday. Also you are looking at hours played not Players.

Looking at those figures WoW is at 9700 while GW2 is at 8700. I think WoW was at 9600 the day before while GW2 was at ~9000. Hardly the large population shift you seem to be hoping for.

On the other hand, GW2 is #3 and #9 on Amazon's Bestsellers (only being beaten by $5 EVE and 40% off Sleeping Dogs) while WoW MoP fell to #6.

Stats aren't for Saturday... Sept 28 was Friday. Also you are looking at hours played not Players.

Looking at those figures WoW is at 9700 while GW2 is at 8700. I think WoW was at 9600 the day before while GW2 was at ~9000. Hardly the large population shift you seem to be hoping for.

On the other hand, GW2 is #3 and #9 on Amazon's Bestsellers (only being beaten by $5 EVE and 40% off Sleeping Dogs) while WoW MoP fell to #6.

The stats I posted are for saturday the 29th. the amazon bestesellers became irrelevant since digital sales became popular.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I cant say that I particfularly noticed MOPs release date.

A friend and guildie do have said he will buy it some day (but havnt yet), otherwise I dont think anyone in my guild have bought it, or if they have they at least seems to play as much as before it came out and havnt mentioned it.

If there are less or more people in the world, I dunno. Now I play in lvl 70+ areas mostly and I am not sure if they had more players before or not.

So I dont see any exodus, but it might had some impact. Less than 20% is really hard to see and I only know what is happening on my EU server, it might be different in the US. But my guild is so far totally unaffected (unless Mikko bought it yesterday, I assumed he wasnt logged on because he was at the pub or something).

The stats I posted are for saturday the 29th. the amazon bestesellers became irrelevant since digital sales became popular.

My mistake on the dates X-Fire just updated for me...

[mod edit]

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I love the arrogance in the thread that assumes gw2 players will "go back to wow". I haven't played wow for 7 years and have no intention of playing it ever again.

Could it be, like me gw2 players now they are settled in are combining it with single player games. I'm alternating my game play between gw2 one night, Torchlight 2 the next, I'm sure others are doing this with borderlands 2, ftl, sleeping dogs etc..

Because gw2 let's you do this. There is no worry about getting behind on the fast curve and getting 1 shotted in pvp or not being able to do the latest content because you're not wearing the latest and greatest tiered item set. There is no nagging concern to get your moneys worth that month.

Gw2 is different to progression based wow clones. It doesn't demand you play it like a second bloody job if you want to get the most out of it.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Right now at 2:40 am MST, the NA WoW servers have 20 at either full or high.  The Oceanic servers, Australia and New Zealand mostly, all servers are either locked, full or high.  Not sure how it compares to previous ones but it seems like a lot of people are playing the new expansion.

Of course there is, or to be more precisly, the players play at least more time now. If there is actually a huge increase in players or if people who just logg in once in a while play more is impossible to prove without official numbers from Blizzard.

People play a lot when a new expansion hits and the regular bungee players often gets in for a month as well to get their characters through the new zones.

But what really matters is if they stay or not and it will take a while before we know that. Wows numbers have gone up a lot with every expansion but after TBC it went down again to about the same numbers as before and after CATA it actually went down. That might change now up or down but it is way too early to tell right now.

Xfire numbers might give us a unreliable hint a month or 2 from now, but we really needs official numbers to be sure. Maybe the players love the new expanion or hates it after a few weeks, still hard to say.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Amazon would only be relevant if we knew what percentage of total WoW/GW2 sales came from amazon, or the exact total sales (and tracked them to find out the weekly changes). A simple ranking system without further info is worthless.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Amazon would only be relevant if we knew what percentage of total WoW/GW2 sales came from amazon, or the exact total sales (and tracked them to find out the weekly changes). A simple ranking system without further info is worthless.

And what about the very small change in Player Numbers?

Or simply the fact that X-Fire numbers are only valid for X-Fire Users and we know from the X-Fire list that it isn't representative of the "general gaming population" at all?

I'm sure both MoP and GW2 are picking up lots of new players, virtually none of which are reflected in X-Fire.

I don't know why you have such a burning pathalogical hatred of GW2 but this idea that there was any kind of "mass exodus" from the game to MoP is both silly and wrong.

Some people have stopped playing and some are playing fewer hours than launch, but then that is true of pretty much any and every game, and from the way things have been trending will be true of MoP very soon as well.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

And what about the very small change in Player Numbers?

if you are comparing the numbers from thursday to friday you are doing it wrong.

Or simply the fact that X-Fire numbers are only valid for X-Fire Users and we know from the X-Fire list that it isn't representative of the "general gaming population" at all?

xfire users are a random selection which is statistically relevant if you can "read the numbers".

I'm sure both MoP and GW2 are picking up lots of new players, virtually none of which are reflected in X-Fire.

why not? are xfire users not allowed to buy games after they release?

I don't know why you have such a burning pathalogical hatred of GW2 but this idea that there was any kind of "mass exodus" from the game to MoP is both silly and wrong.

I don't. I just think it's a bad MMO and doesn't deserve the hype at all. Its place should be among swtor and tera and it's getting there.

Some people have stopped playing and some are playing fewer hours than launch, but then that is true of pretty much any and every game, and from the way things have been trending will be true of MoP very soon as well.

Except WoW peaked 5 years after its release, not 8 days.

This discussion has been closed.