Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling rapid decay of enthusiasm

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Despite what you may think, overall I did have a lot of fun in the first weeks. But now, in the last week or so, I suddenly feel a rapid decay of fun and enthusiasm. Like I log in less and feel less inclined to continue to play ANY of my chars.

My main is Warrior lv 66, (where on top, my story is bug-stuck with level 50), and I just could not bring myself to play today, despite being bored. I can't even say exactly why.

I just feel "oh my, another heart gather some phooey something". And what DEFINITELY starts to bug me: I didn't learn ANY new abilities for ages. Besides some extras, my chars have the same skills as they had with level 5. Looking forward to new abilities always was a major drive in MMOs for me. And this heart thing... hm. I enjoyed it at first, but now it feels kinda boring. I sort of miss the more directed, guided, dense approach of real questlines, which deliver a story more clear and coherent. Lack of trinity and real teamwork also starts to feel more lacking now that I play a longer time, and I feel like everyone is a soloer and jack of all trades and rarely anyone ever groups or talks.

Sigh.

Not sure. Just a sort of feeling.

EDIT: I never thought I'd say that, but I liked the quests and classes from SWTOR better. Sue me...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I suppose it depends on the circle you hang with.  A bunch of people in my guild blitzed to 80 and complained about begin bored.  The rest of us laughed and ate a cookie in their honor.  It's amazing how people think that GW2 is simply a vertical progression game.  It's much more than that, as was Guild Wars 1.  I guess some get it, and some don't.

By the way, if you do ANYTHING without taking a break, it gets a bit old.  I've taken a couple breaks and played other games on certain days.  Then I start thinking, "I have so many zones to complete!" and log right back into Guild Wars 2.  Just me, but that's my thought.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Kinda in the same boat. I do like the GW2 mechanics, but something is holding me back the last week. Yes I do logon for an hour a day or so, give my main character (53 at the moment) a go in her personal story, and that's about it. Though the story is not bugged, for a personal story it's getting pretty hard to complete from stage to stage. The last couple of parts I've done in about 5 tries each, which is probably the thing that pisses me off the most >:(

Perhaps we should lay GW2 aside for a week or 2, play something else and check back later on..?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You mean since level 30 (if you had grinded plenty of skillpoints), right?

But yeah, the game could really use 3 times as many utility and elite skills. And a few of them could require that you put a certain number in the right trait to use.

I have a feeling something like that will happen eventually though.

As for questlines I dont miss them at all. Just skip the hearts and do more exploration and DEs while you explore instead. The hearts are often what took over after the more boring quests many MMOs have plenty off but here you dont have to do them to get further, you really only need them to get 100% completion.

Just try to play the stuff you enjoy most.

Then again, maybe you just played it too much lately. A week off watching up on series on the telly or something also do wonders. 

As foir teamwork it is there, but mostly in the dungeons and PvP. Teamwork is still good to have anywhere in the world but far from a must. And it is rather different than trinty teamwork, or to be precise, just like in trinity you need to know what the other players are doing, but in trinity you already know that. Here you have to keep an eye on them all the time and that can be a bit overwealming until you get used to it.

Of course you might be burnt out already, there is always that possibility but only you can answer that.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

I suppose it depends on the circle you hang with.  A bunch of people in my guild blitzed to 80 and complained about begin bored.  The rest of us laughed and ate a cookie in their honor.  It's amazing how people think that GW2 is simply a vertical progression game.  It's much more than that, as was Guild Wars 1.  I guess some get it, and some don't.

By the way, if you do ANYTHING without taking a break, it gets a bit old.  I've taken a couple breaks and played other games on certain days.  Then I start thinking, "I have so many zones to complete!" and log right back into Guild Wars 2.  Just me, but that's my thought.

This ^.

Everytime I start to get bored in GW2 I either go do something else, or jump into TL2, borderlands 2, or planetside 2. Before long I end up logging into GW2 again, and the fun starts all over again. GW2 isn't a game where you need to play it 24/7. There's no sub fee, and the amount of vertical progression in this game is so simple that it doesn't take long to complete it (basically getting to lvl 80). If you're getting burnt out, take a break. There are tons of other great games that have come out this month. Nothing states you need to play MMOs exclusively.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Loke666

But yeah, the game could really use 3 times as many utility and elite skills. And a few of them could require that you put a certain number in the right trait to use.

As for questlines I dont miss them at all. Just skip the hearts and do more exploration and DEs while you explore instead. The hearts are often what took over after the more boring quests many MMOs have plenty off but here you dont have to do them to get further, you really only need them to get 100% completion.

Then again, maybe you just played it too much lately. A week off watching up on series on the telly or something also do wonders. 

As foir teamwork it is there, but mostly in the dungeons and PvP. Teamwork is still good to have anywhere in the world but far from a must. And it is rather different than trinty teamwork, or to be precise, just like in trinity you need to know what the other players are doing, but in trinity you already know that. Here you have to keep an eye on them all the time and that can be a bit overwealming until you get used to it.

Of course you might be burnt out already, there is always that possibility but only you can answer that.

The skills on the right side are mainly passives (buff this, buff that), or 1-2 extra skills. The MAIN skills you use 90% of the time are those on the left side and you unlock them within the first few levels.

So, I do not have much to look forward to. When I played games like EQ2, LOTRO or WOW, looking for cool new skills was a major driving motivation for me.

I TRIED to make breaks. I watched the entire Warehouse 13 and Nero Wolfe series in the last 4-5 days, only logging into GW2 very brief; now after this semi-break I feel like I described.

Shrug, not sure what to say...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Reizla

Kinda in the same boat. I do like the GW2 mechanics, but something is holding me back the last week. Yes I do logon for an hour a day or so, give my main character (53 at the moment) a go in her personal story, and that's about it. Though the story is not bugged, for a personal story it's getting pretty hard to complete from stage to stage. The last couple of parts I've done in about 5 tries each, which is probably the thing that pisses me off the most >:(

Perhaps we should lay GW2 aside for a week or 2, play something else and check back later on..?

A tip: The old gameshow trick; Call a friend helps a lot if you get stuck in the personal story. Another player really helps a lot (I have helped out some guildies with it and it lowers the difficulty from hard to normal compared to many other games). 

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Most MMOs anymore for pve content players solo and there is little interaction in groups. With GW2 there is no need to be in an offical party because everyone can help each other out without the parties. What I feel is missing is some animated emotes to respond to people in open world. I have had many people chat in "say" or "whisper" chat when interacting and helping them with an event. The other thing that makes a  difference is to get into an active guild that can work with you towards different goals. Just like most MMOs "You will only get out of the game what you put into it". Anet has not taken or made features unavailable to the player to NOT be social. You have the tools..... USE THEM!

As far as being bored, maybe GW2 is just not the game for you. Every time I log in I can find much to do. The pvp world alone is vast and much to learn for me (especially WvWvW). You have much lore you can learn by just exploring regions and interacting with the events and even listening to the npc conversations. The crafting system is more satisfying than many MMOs out there and you get experience towards your character level which breaks up the grind from just killing. You have a personal storyline that you progress in as you level through each zone. You also have Vistas to discover which is like a nice sight seeing trek. But if you are use to looking for (!) and (?) littered through out the zones then I can see where you may lose focus as to what to do next. This game does not hold your hand through randomly placed quest hubs used to fill in each zone. Anet leaves it more to the adventurer to decide how he/she would like to advance and explore.

BUT to be completely bored in this game?! I just can not see how someone could be. Yes you don't get a multitude of new skills as you level. In other MMOs you have so many skills most players refine them down to a few bars worth anyways. What Anet gives you is better AI and combat where you learn to use the skills you have to fight affectively.  You have a nice set of Trait points where you can refine your skills and even make them work differently for you. What a lot of other MMOs give you is a massive amount of bells and whistles to get you excited for short periods of time. Think of it like little treats for getting to that level, kinda like what you give your dog for doing something good. Anet gives it's players rewards in other ways.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

A tip: The old gameshow trick; Call a friend helps a lot if you get stuck in the personal story. Another player really helps a lot (I have helped out some guildies with it and it lowers the difficulty from hard to normal compared to many other games). 

But, why make the difficulty of the personal story so hard???  That makes no sense at all, especially since the open world DE's aren't that tough at all.  It's seems ass-backward and non-sensical.  I think I will make it my goal in life to prove that Karl Marx made this game, because just like his philosophy in politics, ANet's philosophy in game makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all.

Definitely agree on the skills. I'm sure they are planning on adding more at some point, especially now that they have a whole team working on skill balancing as opposed to 1 guy. For some of the classes it feels a bit more diverse (because most of their skills are fairly versatile), where as with others they have too many skills that are really only useful in niche situations, so you don't really use them for the most part. Definitely hope they expand upon this in the future.

As for the hearts, I know some people aren't willing to do this, but I found that if you play with the map completion markers turned off on your map, it actually helps a lot. Instead of focusing on arbitrary icons it frees you up to just pay attention to the world around you, and gives you more of an incentive to explore.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Just hit level 44 yesterday.  Still having fun and part of it for me is finding the skill points and new pets.  Every once in awhile I find something that surprises me, like the hidden pirate ship in a cave.  Wow.  

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Elikal

Despite what you may think, overall I did have a lot of fun in the first weeks. But now, in the last week or so, I suddenly feel a rapid decay of fun and enthusiasm. Like I log in less and feel less inclined to continue to play ANY of my chars.

My main is Warrior lv 66, (where on top, my story is bug-stuck with level 50), and I just could not bring myself to play today, despite being bored. I can't even say exactly why.

I just feel "oh my, another heart gather some phooey something". And what DEFINITELY starts to bug me: I didn't learn ANY new abilities for ages. Besides some extras, my chars have the same skills as they had with level 5. Looking forward to new abilities always was a major drive in MMOs for me. And this heart thing... hm. I enjoyed it at first, but now it feels kinda boring. I sort of miss the more directed, guided, dense approach of real questlines, which deliver a story more clear and coherent. Lack of trinity and real teamwork also starts to feel more lacking now that I play a longer time, and I feel like everyone is a soloer and jack of all trades and rarely anyone ever groups or talks.

Sigh.

EDIT: I never thought I'd say that, but I liked the quests and classes from SWTOR better. Sue me...

I thought you were unable to play due to tech issues that Anet refused to help you with?

The skills on the right side are mainly passives (buff this, buff that), or 1-2 extra skills. The MAIN skills you use 90% of the time are those on the left side and you unlock them within the first few levels.

So, I do not have much to look forward to. When I played games like EQ2, LOTRO or WOW, looking for cool new skills was a major driving motivation for me.

I TRIED to make breaks. I watched the entire Warehouse 13 and Nero Wolfe series in the last 4-5 days, only logging into GW2 very brief; now after this semi-break I feel like I described.

Really? I use them a lot except the shadowsignet I just use when I have to and otherwise have to get the run buff....

But I get what you mean. We all have different drives when we game. But a few days just aint enough off, it is not like you pay monthly fees.

Try playing something different a week or 2 (played Cavemen2 cosmos?, it is great, Loke recommends). Otherwise just take a break as long as you need to, if that is until the first expansion hits (probably this spring) that is fine. That should give your warrior some new weapons to play with.

Playing when it isnt fun is a waste of time. But even in worst scenario when you never feels for playing again you still got your 60 bucks worth out of it at least. :)

Originally posted by Randayn

But, why make the difficulty of the personal story so hard???  That makes no sense at all, especially since the open world DE's aren't that tough at all.  It's seems ass-backward and non-sensical.  I think I will make it my goal in life to prove that Karl Marx made this game, because just like his philosophy in politics, ANet's philosophy in game makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all.

Most of the personal story quests aren't that hard either. So far I've really only encountered 1 story quest that I had trouble soloing, and that was because they force you to use a crappy single-target toolkit to fend off a horde of undead. (which seems like really bad quest design imho). However other than that they have all been fairly easy. I've done necro through 80, warrior through 60, and ele / mesmer through 40.

Mostly it comes down to guaging whether you'll need more single-target skills, more AoE, and whether or not you can kite decently.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Sigh.

I thought you were unable to play due to tech issues that Anet refused to help you with?

Yeah I was really feeling my "surprised/shocked face" coming on that he's not having a good time with a game he doesn't like :O

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by aesperus

Most of the personal story quests aren't that hard either. So far I've really only encountered 1 story quest that I had trouble soloing, and that was because they force you to use a crappy single-target toolkit to fend off a horde of undead. (which seems like really bad quest design imho). However other than that they have all been fairly easy. I've done necro through 80, warrior through 60, and ele / mesmer through 40.

Mostly it comes down to guaging whether you'll need more single-target skills, more AoE, and whether or not you can kite decently.

I did the personal story for the Nord Warrior up to level 30, I think....something like that.  I pretty much had to kite the boss mobs each time or I'd die before killing them.  It was very easy to kite them, but why should I be forced to do that?  I like melee...not ranged....don't force me into things.  This is where I see just a glimmer of the lazy development put into this game.

Sorry if I didnt level further though....Ive clocked over 100 hours on this game but can't find it in myself to get past level 30 on any toon...as a matter of fact, most of the toons I've made (10 including deleted ones) haven't gotten past level 15 without me saying "this is it???"

Just curious, but what class are you playing mostly?

In my experience the right skills function how you want them to. Some classes are more signet heavy (which are your passive buffs), but learning when to activate them is pretty important as well. I've played all the classes in this game (some more than others), and so far the only class I've never activated my signets on is thief. That's mostly because he's only lvl 17, though.

That said, if you play MMOs mostly for progression (and more specifically vertical progression), then there's not much GW2 can do for you. It's simply not that type of game, and I don't think it ever will be. Unfortunately that means lots of similar games / clones in your future. However, try some buildcrafting. While I would like it if the game had more skills, a huge draw of this game is in character customization. It's not just about unlocking skills, but rather in finding new & interesting ways to combine them w/ your traits & weapons. On most of my characters I tend to come up w/ at least 3 main builds, on which I've discovered a lot of variations I can use by switchign utilities & major traits a little.  I also find it fun when you go through a dungeon, WvW, or PvP and experiment with a new build to see how it'll do.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Sigh.

My level 50 story quest always crashes. I am unable to continue it from there. The game outside of that works fine.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

For anyone complaining about people not creaming their pants over GW2 and making a post about it on the forums: be happy.

Once people stop making posts about it and simply quit the game without saying as much as a word...is when you should start complaining and asking "Where did everybody go?"

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

My motivation has been to see and complete content.

Only level 33 now on my new main, just did my first dungeon last night - so fun. Now I can't wait to see the rest.

I just want to get to 80 so I can have the whole game open to me. I love that feeling - knowing I have no content that I cannot complete if I put forth the effort and have the skill.

I'm still excited to play.

I do have a lot of IRL commitments that keep me from playing 24/7 though.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Elikal, you have a serious problem. It seems that no matter what MMO you play, you're left unsatisfied very soon. I have no solutions for that for you, alas.

I can relate with the skills, although the elite ones are kinda expensive. As for people talking, well, no matter what MMO, guilds are often the best way to help with that, and dungeons require more group coordination than adhoc groups in open world zones.

Someone was talking about the Personal Story, I also had parts where I had to redo a scene 5-10 times, like the circus encounter with a mesmer was particularly hard. I also found a bug at around L60ish where the Personal Story never went to the next stage where you could leave the cave. Looking it up, seems to be a real bug that happens under certain conditions. Still have to retry that one again, felt kinda discouraged after having played 1-2 hours only to be stuck and have to do it all over again.

I did the personal story for the Nord Warrior up to level 30, I think....something like that.  I pretty much had to kite the boss mobs each time or I'd die before killing them.  It was very easy to kite them, but why should I be forced to do that?  I like melee...not ranged....don't force me into things.  This is where I see just a glimmer of the lazy development put into this game.

Sorry if I didnt level further though....Ive clocked over 100 hours on this game but can't find it in myself to get past level 30 on any toon...as a matter of fact, most of the toons I've made (10 including deleted ones) haven't gotten past level 15 without me saying "this is it???"

That's really just a factor when playing melee. You really can't just stand there and take hits like in most games. At the very least you need to learn when to dodge out of the way, and then re-engage later when you have the advantage again. If you want to play more tank & spank, though, you can spec for it. As a warrior, Mace + shield is the weapon set for that. You won't do as much damage, but you'll be unkillable if you use your skills efficiently.

The game doesn't force you to kite, but if you want to be a damage heavy spec, then you need to do such things to stay alive. It's part of balancing. There's no reason a class should have high damage output, and be able to go toe to toe with a tough monster while taking hits the entire time. If you want that, you need to trade damage for survivability.

Personally I play my warrior as Greatsword & either rifle or sword/axe. I don't have to kite that much, but I also don't hesitate to use skills like whirlwind, rush, or rifle butt to evade deadly attacks or gain a few seconds of breathing room to wait for my heal to come off cooldown. I also found that having 15 points into the defense trait line helps A TON for survivability. For a while I did that and put the rest into arms for the precision bonus.

15 points into defense gives you a passive regen that scales with your adrenaline, and when combine with the heal 'Healing Surge' you can get close to a full heal every 30secs, and are always regenerating health. Furthermore the first major trait can be used to give you +200 toughness whenever crippled or CCed which further increases your survivability. 10+ points into arms gives you a ton of crit, as you can equip a bunch of signets and use the trait 'Deep Strike' to give you +40 precision for each unused signet. This'll give you all the damage you need, as you'll have between a 50%-90% crit chance during fights. You can then use mostly power / vit gear to give you the rest of your damage. Works great until later lvls (60+) since the precision bonus doesn't scale.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Sounds like you're done.  A lot of people have expressed similar sentiments.  My only suggestion? Find another game/MMO to play.

Edit: As a side question, did you get caught up in the pre-launch hype?

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

What's the point of this thread? You are making a statement. You aren't asking for help or trying to start a debate.

Do you think people are really interested in how you are feeling at any given moment? (that's what facebook is for)

Maybe you are looking for advice in some round about way, so I would say go do something else that interests you.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

You realized that you don't like this game enough to play it anymore.  There is not really anything to say.

This can be either because you're generally burned on mmorpg's.

or

because this is not your mmorpg kind.  

You may try to remember last mmorpg you played for long time and then think what make you want to play it for long. 

Then try to find game with that kind of design.

You cannot?   No game with that design / features and quality on the market?  Welcome to the club :p

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

What's the point of this thread? You are making a statement. You aren't asking for help or trying to start a debate.

Do you think people are really interested in how you are feeling at any given moment? (that's what facebook is for)

Maybe you are looking for advice in some round about way, so I would say go do something else that interests you.

I normally wouldn't respond to this, but, if you can't find a point to his thread, then don't bother reading it or replying to it.  There is no point in complaining about it.   Is it against the rules of conduct to say you are bored with a game?

This discussion has been closed.