Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Any other games with Harvesters?

bartillobartillo Columbus, GAPosts: 190Member

Well we know how SWG had wind power plants and you used that to power harvesters to get mass amounts of resources.

Is their any other games with a similar system besies Fallen Earth ?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,654Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bartillo

Well we know how SWG had wind power plants and you used that to power harvesters to get mass amounts of resources.

Is their any other games with a similar system besies Fallen Earth ?

EVE Online

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member

The game linked in my signature is as close spiritually that any game is going to come to SWG, and will have player structures, turrets and harvesters last I read.  The developers have even noted that the game is very influenced by it as well as other great sandbox games.  It's not out yet, but you can follow development.  Some of us who backed it on Kickstarter will be getting in for early closed beta hopefully by the end of the year (not known yet).

This game has already been in development for years, and the feature list is insane.... check it out.  They have great monthly developer notes outlining line-by-line what was added or changed.  They blow my mind every month.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KazaraKazara merritt island, FLPosts: 1,075Member Uncommon
    My concerns with the Repopulation is it sounds like it will be forced PvP and it will have a cash shop which seems like it would be a serious conflict of interest in a true sandbox game. I am keeping my eye on it, but I still have serious doubts.

Originally posted by Kazara
    My concerns with the Repopulation is it sounds like it will be forced PvP and it will have a cash shop which seems like it would be a serious conflict of interest in a true sandbox game. I am keeping my eye on it, but I still have serious doubts.

The devs are not making the cash shop play to win.  They are gamers and they are completely against that.  I have no problem at all with cosmetic cash shops, or things like mounts, or even minor boosters like GW2 has. 

I think I read also that there are safe areas from PvP, but this isn't a hand-holding MMO either.  We have enough of those. I'd be perfectly happy with an SWG style flagging system, myself.  What better way to have basically opt-in world PvP?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KazaraKazara merritt island, FLPosts: 1,075Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

The devs are not making the cash shop play to win.  They are gamers and they are completely against that.  I have no problem at all with cosmetic cash shops, or things like mounts, or even minor boosters like GW2 has. 

I think I read also that there are safe areas from PvP, but this isn't a hand-holding MMO either.  We have enough of those. I'd be perfectly happy with an SWG style flagging system, myself.  What better way to have basically opt-in world PvP?

Sorry, but those "cometic" items and mounts should be craftable/looted/rewarded in a sandbox game. Sadly, in order to make those non pay-to-win items sell, they will have to be more desirable/superior than anything that can be crafted, looted or rewarded in game. I have no issues with account services being for sale, such as extra character slots, cosmetic character changes, name changes, emotes, extra inventory, race/class changes, etc. No matter how "harmless' a cash shop might begin as, the greed factor always seems to take over.

I also would rather see the SWG flagging system, which I believe would appeal to a larger playerbase. Forced PvP will turn-off many potential players (including myself), as observed in other failed sandbox MMO's. Consensual PvP really is the way to go. Those who want to PvP can do so without griefing those who have no interest in it. I support choice, which will allow players to truly play the way they want to.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes LabinPosts: 421Member Uncommon

Sorry, but those "cometic" items and mounts should be craftable/looted/rewarded in a sandbox game. Sadly, in order to make those non pay-to-win items sell, they will have to be more desirable/superior than anything that can be crafted, looted or rewarded in game. I have no issues with account services being for sale, such as extra character slots, cosmetic character changes, name changes, emotes, extra inventory, race/class changes, etc. No matter how "harmless' a cash shop might begin as, the greed factor always seems to take over.

note that greed factor isn' there because of corporation's agenda. it's inherent in standard accumulation-based economy model. in other words, as long as there is something that can be collected and gives in-game power, there will be players willing to pay real money for it, without having to "work" for it.

it's players that are greedy, and corp can't fix that. i think proper cash shop can reduce effect of that. now, whether cost of it is worth it, it's up to player to decide. imo, i'd rather corp gets the money, instead of some random gold-farmer.

Originally posted by spinner_vis

note that greed factor isn' there because of corporation's agenda. it's inherent in standard accumulation-based economy model. in other words, as long as there is something that can be collected and gives in-game power, there will be players willing to pay real money for it, without having to "work" for it.

it's players that are greedy, and corp can't fix that. i think proper cash shop can reduce effect of that. now, whether cost of it is worth it, it's up to player to decide. imo, i'd rather corp gets the money, instead of some random gold-farmer.

The fact is, the model du jour for MMO's is free to play.  Especially for an indy sandbox game, that's the only way they are going to get people to try and play the game.  The cash shop is their income, and I have no problem with any of it as long as pay to win is kept out.  I do tend to agree that the cash shop should not be the only avenue to get cool cosmetic stuff, but I have no problem what that stuff being super-rare in the game world other than cash shop purchases.

These companies do not want or need to make a game where you get unlimited play for free.  Sure you can play some of them for free, but you don't get to also believe you should have access to all the things that would be in a cash shop for free as well.  I'm not really sure I understand the mentality of people who think they are entitled to completely free gameplay.  They don't want ads in the game, don't want subscriptions, don't want cash shop, etc, but they want full access to the game for free.  Interesting to say the least.