Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well, the community has spoken...

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365469/I-give-up-Pick-my-future-MMORPG-on-September-25th.html

Despite hoping to involve myself in a sandbox MMORPG, I'm forced to go back to a themepark. I flipped the coin between two themeparks.... and WOW came up.

Will I get milked by Blizzard? Sure I will. At least Blizzard was innovative back in 2004 and brought the themepark to a whole new level. I'm sure the majority of this community who voted GW2 would've been playing WOW still or return to it eventually cuz sure both MMORPG's are meaningless as any other themepark, at least WOW has better endgame imo. 

GW2 endgame is what? I don't remember seeing quality raiding close to what WOW offers. Raiding is engaging, and most important people come together and socialize to overcome a challenges.

PvP is also there, just like in GW2, but PvP has always been a sidekick to themepark designed MMORPG's. I sure had some fun playing DCUO for free, another themepark fully voiced MMORPG with PvP and raiding, but the raids were not even close to the raids WOW has. DCUO raids were very short with far less bosses and lacked complexity.

So let the poll show "Would u be playing WOW: MOP if $ was not issue or still stick to GW2?" If so your welcome to share to the community what edge at endgame GW2 has over WOW.

I hope the community will be honest ;)

Comments

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Kopogero

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365469/I-give-up-Pick-my-future-MMORPG-on-September-25th.html

Despite hoping to involve myself in a sandbox MMORPG, I'm forced to go back to a themepark. I flipped the coin between two themeparks.... and WOW came up.

Will I get milked by Blizzard? Sure I will. At least Blizzard was innovative back in 2004 and brought the themepark to a whole new level. I'm sure the majority of this community who voted GW2 would've been playing WOW still or return to it eventually cuz sure both MMORPG's are meaningless as any other themepark, at least WOW has better endgame imo. 

GW2 endgame is what? I don't remember seeing quality raiding close to what WOW offers. Raiding is engaging, and most important people come together and socialize to overcome a challenges.

PvP is also there, just like in GW2, but PvP has always been a sidekick to themepark designed MMORPG's. I sure had some fun playing DCUO for free, another themepark fully voiced MMORPG with PvP and raiding, but the raids were not even close to the raids WOW has. DCUO raids were very short with far less bosses and lacked complexity.

So let the poll show "Would u be playing WOW: MOP if $ was not issue or still stick to GW2?" If so your welcome to share to the community what edge at endgame GW2 has over WOW.

Did you look at your own poll incorrectly? WoW is like 16% and GW2 is like 40%, or are you ignoring GW2?

Also, allowing someone else choose your next game is rediculous. What 50,000 people like you most likely won't. I'm bouncing around games at (DAOC, EQ, FPS games) while I wait for a half decent game to come out.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Why don't you go play Darkfall or Mortal Online or EVE? Those are all sandboxes and were built around PVP supposedly.

I don't understand. I see people complaining about not having a "sandbox" to play in when there are several, some actually kind of good(EVE is not for me but whatever).

I mean, if you hate "themeparks" so much but don't have a "sandbox" to play, then go read an effin book and stop with the woe-is-me...

This is aimed at the "sanbox" crowd in general, of which I am one also. I just happen to not let my enjoyment of that type of game blind me to other types of games and what I find fun.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    No one's surprised that you picked WoW or that you're bashing GW2.  I saw this coming the moment that thread went up.

And I'm not surprised you replayed without any valid argument or statement regarding my post. GW2 and WOW were top 2 choices and you had a chance to post a reasonable explanation why I could be wrong about GW2 endgame, but you completely ignored it and accusing me of bashing GW2 insteed.

You had people vote and then chose WoW anyway, after months of bashing GW2.  I highly doubt your story about flipping a coin is even true.  You just wanted people to waste their time, like you want them to do here by explaining why you should play GW2 when you have NO intention of doing so.  I'm just trying to save them that time.

I don't even know what you mean by "replaying".  

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I think MoP and GW2 are both fine games honestly. I've not picked either up because I don't see anything particularly exciting about either game. I gave WoW a good solid year of play and 2 years of idle play. I've not seen anything worth spending the cash I'd need to to catch up in that game. (I mean even if the other xpac was 9.99, 50-60 bucks getting back into the game for a month or two of play time until cap doesn't seem appealing).

Guild Wars 2 I'll eventually buy I'm sure. 

For now I'm still having fun in my usual MMOs. I'm just waiting for  a real sandbox to come along, or maybe something different?

League of Legends, LotRO, and Battlefield pretty much are my multiplayer online games of choice at the moment. Just because there isn't a game out there that has great character progression, plenty of room and content to explore, and something different to offer from the previous decade of gaming.

a yo ho ho

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    If you like traditional endgame, then WoW's your game, no doubt about it.

What GW2 offers is differently, in that when you reach L80, all other zones you haven't done yet are still relevant and fun (automated level scaling), additionally you'll have multipath dungeons, World vs World PvP, L80 zone dynamic events and structured PvP arenas. It's a different beast, it depends what your thing is.

Personally I like GW2's mix of gameplay elements better, but it's different for everybody. When it's about dungeons though, I found AoC's later dungeons and TSW's dungeons more fun and exciting than WoW's dungeons though.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Slampig

Why don't you go play Darkfall or Mortal Online or EVE? Those are all sandboxes and were built around PVP supposedly.

I don't understand. I see people complaining about not having a "sandbox" to play in when there are several, some actually kind of good(EVE is not for me but whatever).

I mean, if you hate "themeparks" so much but don't have a "sandbox" to play, then go read an effin book and stop with the woe-is-me...

This is aimed at the "sanbox" crowd in general, of which I am one also. I just happen to not let my enjoyment of that type of game blind me to other types of games and what I find fun.

yea I never got this there are some decent sandbox games out there yet people who say they are burnt out on themeparks keep "forcing" themselves to play themeparks then come ot the forums and cry about how much they dislike themepark games.. just makes no sense to me. As for the OP you seem dead set on raiding so in this case stick with wow if you need to pick but overall it's still a basic fantasy themepark which you have said you are burnt out on so why even waiste the money?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

A lot of people are happy that Guild Wars 2 doesn't have raids for endgame. I know I am. I'm sick of every MMOs endgame consisting of ginding raids for endgame gear. How is that fun at all? Especially after playing tons of theme parks with the same exact endgame concept...It's not fun. 

I hope ArenaNet keeps it that way too. The whole point of Guild Wars 2 is to not have a ton of grind. Raids would completely ruin that.

Smile

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I am playing MoP but I am still very happy with my GW2 purchase.

GW2 was everything I expected it to be, and my expectation was not as high as the fanboi zealots were. It's my best "2nd" MMO.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I dont see why I would be playing MoP since it's still the same game I grew bored of back then. Adding a few new spell effects and pokemon wont change anything. It's not a bad game, it's just that it's pretty much exactly the same game + everything automated and more bad decision made (like x-realm everything now, it's like one of those games that everyone spits on because of sharded open world).

Give me one server without x-realm pvp, x-realm instances, x-realm zones, and I might check MoP out. Ofcourse if checking it out didnt cost so damn much.

Those are my honest feelings about it.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Slampig

yea I never got this there are some decent sandbox games out there yet people who say they are burnt out on themeparks keep "forcing" themselves to play themeparks then come ot the forums and cry about how much they dislike themepark games.. just makes no sense to me. As for the OP you seem dead set on raiding so in this case stick with wow if you need to pick but overall it's still a basic fantasy themepark which you have said you are burnt out on so why even waiste the money?

"Decent" sandbox is a bit over exaggerating. The quality of current sandbox MMORPG's is not even close to the quality of current themepark MMORPG's. The fact is both demand monthly sub and the majority do not play these sandboxes. That being said I also know how far these sandboxes will last and for how long, given their state, budget and playerbase.

My advantage as a true hardcore MMORPG player is that I can see the light and joy of both genres. Sure I'm not going to enjoy these themeparks as much as I would enjoy quality sandboxes, but that doesn't exist right now. Bottom line is I like the MMORPG I invest my time to be around for years ahead with healthy content and playerbase.

I'm just thankful I was yet again able to find some meaning in playing a MMORPG.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    Im playing GW2. raiding holds no interest for me.. i cant stand the raider mentality. That doesnt mean I might not pick up MoP and try the monk class at some point. why limit your enjoyment? it is possible and completely easonable to like more than 1 mmo... theyre games not religions.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

"Decent" sandbox is a bit over exaggerating. The quality of current sandbox MMORPG's is not even close to the quality of current themepark MMORPG's. The fact is both demand monthly sub and the majority do not play these sandboxes. That being said I also know how far these sandboxes will last and for how long, given their state, budget and playerbase.

My advantage as a true hardcore MMORPG player is that I can see the light and joy of both genres. Sure I'm not going to enjoy these themeparks as much as I would enjoy quality sandboxes, but that doesn't exist right now. Bottom line is I like the MMORPG I invest my time to be around for years ahead with healthy content and playerbase.

I'm just thankful I was yet again able to find some meaning in playing a MMORPG.

I used to feel that way but with the amount of games that come out now I just can't see myself commiting to any game for years and years.. I'm lucky to get a few months from a game nowadays but as long as I enjoyed my time I feel it's well worth the time I spent.. I can see the need to want a community you can grow and play with for years but honestly after what turned out of swtor I completely gave up in that mindset for themeparks.. i enjoy them for what they are but would not expect to play any themepark for years and years.. for me GW2 is the kind of game i can easily come back to anytime I want and see what's new and enjoy the content as they add it with no sub fee to worry about.... in the end it's really about what you value in a game imho gw2 is the best themepark on the market today and has no sub fee but obviously not everyone feels this way.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Is spending $60 really that big of a deal for a lot of people? o_O

I spend that in an hour or two into a night out with friends.

Why not play both? Why limit yourself to one game? I don't get it. :(

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    No one's surprised that you picked WoW or that you're bashing GW2.  I saw this coming the moment that thread went up.

And I'm not surprised you replayed without any valid argument or statement regarding my post. GW2 and WOW were top 2 choices and you had a chance to post a reasonable explanation why I could be wrong about GW2 endgame, but you completely ignored it and accusing me of bashing GW2 insteed.

You had people vote and then chose WoW anyway, after months of bashing GW2.  I highly doubt your story about flipping a coin is even true.  You just wanted people to waste their time, like you want them to do here by explaining why you should play GW2 when you have NO intention of doing so.  I'm just trying to save them that time.

I don't even know what you mean by "replaying".  

The sad fact is your twisting the truth into a completly different thing. Your also trolling this thread, which is not helping anyone. Fact is if you ever cared to read or even comprehend what I said in that topic you wouldn't be saying any of this. I clearly stated that based on my experience with the community here I would predict what kind of outcome the polls would've had. That being said I also stated clearly I would be flipping a coin for the 2nd most voted MMORPG to make it more interesting and give it a chance to other MMORPG's to come to light. I also clearly explained myself the reason for making that decision and making the thread.

The fact you're imagining I am bashing GW2, which is in fact the completely opposite of what I've been trying to do toward that game shows further evidence that you are delusional. You also believe that I'm trying to waste other people time by wasting mine, it just shows the level of IQ you are using to base your opinions.

GW2 is one of the top MMORPG's one could play right now despite all the negative things its been plagued with since launch. So coming here to troll my topic and twist it into a completely different thing will only continue to make you look bad.

You do realize your post history is easily accessed by anyone right? You've gone on and on about how GW2 is going to fail for this reason or that, how it was all hype and etc. Trying to say you haven't or aren't bashing GW2 is a bit out there man. Doesn't take much searching to find out your lying lol. Secondly, whats this about twisting your words? You made a poll letting people pick your next game, taking into account your post history you were expecting or hoping that MoP would beat out GW2, when it didn't you backed out and found some reason to go with WoW then tried bashing GW2 again lol. You didn't add the flipping coin part until the edit after you saw how many voted for GW2. Sorry you didn't achieve what you were looking to achieve, reality and all that jazz lol.

Wanted to clarrify I truly don't care, I simply wanted to point out that which was asinine because as it turns out I enjoy pointing out that which is asinine lol.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

GW2 is one of the top MMORPG's one could play right now despite all the negative things its been plagued with since launch.

Such as?  You're implying there's a lot of things wrong with it, yet I haven't noticed anything game-breaking or even irritating in the game. Admittedly there's sections of the game I have yet to play in depth, such as PvP and dungeons, so maybe the flaws you percieve are in those areas.  Your own poll shows that people would prefer to play GW2 instead of WoW: MoP, so I am genuinely curious about your list of "all the negartive things" that "plague" GW2.

• nine56nine56 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Voted GW2 because it is more fun from level 1 through max level. Sure raiding is fun, but so is GW2 dungeon crawling, WvW, sPvP, and meta events.
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

And i'm not suppried you are the first to answer this thread,how do you find the time to play your bestest game.

Anyway OP,i voted the third option.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Well,the community has spoken...

+50% prefers GW2

20% WoW

so far...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Zzad

Well,the community has spoken...

+50% prefers GW2

20% WoW

This ^

The poll pretty much sums it up. Kind of ironic, as the OP clearly created the thread to try and bash GW2. The game has problems, sure, but the reason most people were excited about GW2 in the first place was because it promised to be different from WoW. And it is.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Playing / waiting for something else.  Although actually I'm writing it. No desire to play MoP, will play GW2 eventually.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

OP: I see what you did there...

Using GW2 "replay with your reason" is just lame.

You´ll spend more time "replaying" MoP´s dungeons & raids than you´ll ever do in GW2 anyway.

Try better...

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    playing TSW & EvE ,waiting for Darkfall UW
  • punkrock2punkrock2 Member UncommonPosts: 78

On your other poll i picked FFxiv or some other asian style game lol.  On this poll i picked other.

I will be playing FFXIV when it comes out on the PS3.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Well, the community has spoken...and they said GW2. 

Backfired, eh?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

GW2 still have some issues (as anyone completed the Iron marches can tell you) but those are getting fixed.

Wow on the other hand is old and we all played it or copies of it for years now.

I will not say that one of the games is better than the other, Wow was an excellent game in 2004 (even if it never really worked for me) but I would still pay sub money for GW2. I havnt had that much fun in a MMO since Meridian 59 came out.

I would easily pay 15 bucks a month for GW2 but I prefer to not pay of course. I payed that price for many less fun games for many years.

How long it will be my main game is anybodys guess though, I know 100% that I will play it as main the next month but after that, who knows? I however have a feeling that it will take Class 4, WoDO or a similar new game to make me change main game.

This discussion has been closed.