Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I would play this game if....

RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature.

The only thing I didnt like or understand about the game was FFA looting....

Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in a heartbeat...

Comments

• king0fmarsking0fmars Member Posts: 43
    How would looting work on your desired server? This would potentially be a game breaking change if not balanced properly. Honestly it seems like you really haven't thought this thru at all.
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Yup, FFA PVP has killed this game.  I can't speak for Unholy Wars, but the original Darkfall didn't even resemble much of an MMO.  It was just a massive slaughterfest where often times I couldn't play for over an hour without having someone gank me. Couldn't do close to half the things you could do in UO that didn't involve PvP combat.

Most of the time I would get rezzed then the PKer would explain how he was RPing a mass murderer as if that makes everything ok.  I just sighed and logged back into WoW.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by king0fmars
    How would looting work on your desired server? This would potentially be a game breaking change if not balanced properly. Honestly it seems like you really haven't thought this thru at all.

haha....I leave that up to the devs man.  My only suggestion would be is to code it so that created characters cannot be looted...Im sure the fix could be pretty minimal:

If char = created

then (object) "Lock Loot"

End

Im not saying it would be that easy to write, but im sure it couldn't be too much harder....of course they'd have to create the object as well.  Don't know gaming code though...only VB and Excel Macros...

• king0fmarsking0fmars Member Posts: 43
    I wasn't even sure what you were complaining about but now I understand. The entire game is based off of the concept of full loot for dead players. If that is your "only" complaint for the game you have a serious lack of understanding what the game is about. If you cannot get past all your posessions being lootable then Darkfall just is not for you.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by king0fmars
    I wasn't even sure what you were complaining about but now I understand. The entire game is based off of the concept of full loot for dead players. If that is your "only" complaint for the game you have a serious lack of understanding what the game is about. If you cannot get past all your posessions being lootable then Darkfall just is not for you.

The OP is a bit confusing.   At first I thought he didn't like that anyone could loot your corpse, but it appears he doesn't like the concept of full loot.   I don't think the problem is full loot, but that AV really needs to take a hard look at setting up " safe " areas similar to EVE.   

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    There's plenty of games for people like you. Let us have one.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

Yup, FFA PVP has killed this game.  I can't speak for Unholy Wars, but the original Darkfall didn't even resemble much of an MMO.  It was just a massive slaughterfest where often times I couldn't play for over an hour without having someone gank me. Couldn't do close to half the things you could do in UO that didn't involve PvP combat.

Most of the time I would get rezzed then the PKer would explain how he was RPing a mass murderer as if that makes everything ok.  I just sighed and logged back into WoW.

I have played Darkfall for years long and i can tell that many people have given up on the game to quickly.

Ofcourse at launch no one really had anything special. people didnt yet figure out all the possibilities and some didnt like the game as a sandbox and killed some time pvping.

After that the economy, clans started to settle and ofcourse theres pvp and you got ganked (If you dont like that part stay away from the game)  but the slaughterfest was gone. There were not many players that would just pk everyone because that would lead to them having a bad name.

The same thing will happen in unholy wars.  it will be a kill everything you see for the first month.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Randayn

there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature.

Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in

Someone could make a game called "FFA Full loot 24/7" and advertise as being just that, yet there would be someone asking for  another Trammel.  Darkfall has clearly stated what type of game it is. Now run along....

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Full loot is part of the charm. In EVE Online there's a saying that somewhat applies to this game - "Don't fly what you can't afford to lose".

If you want to walk around in the super badass armor or with tons of coin on your person, then you better be ready to deal with the aftermath of losing it. That risk vs reward plays a HUGE part in any good sandbox.

Having said that, the next major part of any good sandbox is the community and aligning yourself with others. That FFA Full Loot has a lot more purpose behind it when you're looting a sworn enemy.

In themeparks you send your fallen foe to the grave, he incurs a minor silver penalty in repairs at best, but he's really no worse for the wear other than maybe a bruised ego. In sandbox games with looting it's that much more exciting and brings a whole new meaning to guilds/corps and the alliances/enemies that develop as a result.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Easy... Make it so that when X player kills Y player, X player gets a duped copy of whatever Y player is wearing plus all in his/her inventory, with Y player allowed to keep everything that's equipped. Only things that wouldn't get duped would be things that are not equipped and in the inventory.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Randayn

Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in a heartbeat...

What you need for Unholy Wars is a real clan. 

A lot of people never knew that the most dangerous places in the game were near the NPC cities, when you were alone.  When based out of a player city with a good clan, if you were killed the pvpers would immediately gather and give chase to the PKs, and then hunter became the hunted.  There is nothing quite so satisfying as getting killed, losing everything, then listening in voice comms as your buddies hunt down and butcher the PKs, and then ask you to meet up at the bank to give your things back.

So yes, real clans who actively defend their player city and surrounding areas will be (and always were) absolutely critical to your in-game experience.  Solo, it will always hurt.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by Randayn there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature. The only thing I didnt like or understand about the game was FFA looting.... Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in a heartbeat...

FFA Full loot is one of the aspects about DFO that makes it decent. It didn't kill the game, its the reason why it had an audiance at all. Its what made death matter (no armor damage/decay/destruction doesn't do the same thing). Its what made random encounter PvP intresting. Its how zergs got destroyed. Without full loot, the game wouldn't be worth playing TBH. 

Besides, why would you want to trun off this aspect. All gear in the game is easily and always will be easily replaceable. Its not like you die it takes 100s of hrs to replace a gear set.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Talemire
    Easy... Make it so that when X player kills Y player, X player gets a duped copy of whatever Y player is wearing plus all in his/her inventory, with Y player allowed to keep everything that's equipped. Only things that wouldn't get duped would be things that are not equipped and in the inventory.

Yes, becuase this isn't exploitable. Nope not at all. Oh and this does nothing to harm the economy of the game. nope 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• sindursindur Member UncommonPosts: 12

The full loot is the main reasone i started playing this game. I remember i was in my brothers room watching him play this Darkfall Game, and when he said it was Full loot, i was like omg i can kill people and steal there stuff, that is so awsome. If it havent been Full loot this game would have been dead one month after realse.

Darkfall is based around the concept of Full loot, if they changed that which they would never do this game would have sucked monkey balls, if you dont want Full loot you should go play some cearbear games like Guild wars 2 or WoW, Beacuse if you become a known Cearbear in darkfall everyone will hate you and kill you just because you are a cearbear

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    FFA loot its not for everybody. I believe it is the best element of DF. The feeling of losing really something when you die its unique. Fear doesnt exists in nodays games only the need to gear up fast, lvl up fast. Embrace  FFA loot and u'll see what i mean, maybe not fast though.
  • chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I think its commendable that they have gone FFA looting. However, the issue is, they wipe a massive chunk of subscribing players off their books.  I am not saying don't make it FFA but maybe everything in the inventory only and maybe 1 random drop from what you are wearing.

I tried playing this game but two things killed it off immediately.

1 - FFA looting. Not against it but I can't deal with that when I only have a limited amount of game time in my RL.

2 - Inventory and interface. It felt like a bad day job.  I felt depressed every time I had to drag and drop 1000 items from inventory to whatever.  This also highlighted the issue with FFA looting.  The concept of having to drag and drop so many times in an MMO, just kills the enjoyment.

In saying that I want to try unholy wars and hope they have a trial.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Problem is not full loot but because this game is just one big fps deatchmatch it more resemble Planetside with swords, magic and bows than it resemble an mmorpg. 

Remember most of UO players was NOT pk reds or even devoted anti-reds.  Most were people that did all other things - exploring world, pve, crafting, housing, trading, role-playing, etc and some of them were occasionally PvP-ing.

Darkfall is feel like game made by  pk'ers / reds from UO to another pk'er / reds.  Aside from PvP and sieges - it is empty shell - there is nothing else.  + macro-heavy twitch combat resembling Quake more than it resemble most mmoprpg combat also scare significant part of potential playerbase. 

I mean it is good that people that like this game will have an expansion and will have good time for a while.  Kudos to you.

This game does not have any chance to bring significant playerbase for above reasons. Also it is not possible to change it, changes would drive big part of existing playerbase and I don't believe that developer have resources to make huge wide array of changes to it.  Besides I don't even want it to change.  Iam FAR from changing anyone's so much that it start to be diffrent kind of a game.

So when I think "I would play this game if..... nothing realistical can be put here" .  

I was waiting for this game years ago as it was said to be next UO.  Sorry but apart of seamless world and medieval themeI really don't see much similarities between those games.

Also this will be considered blasphemy by some - total FFA PVP everywhere for mmorpg will NOT WORK.   This is why UO got more players when they introduced Trammel. Of course it was clusterfuck because it was band aid that did not make anyone happy.

EvE Online did it much better.  There is huge part of game that is practially almost PVP free and that is only way sandboxes with open world pvp can thrive.  Total unresticted pvp wont work of course unless you plan to have more than 1-2k players.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    In a word, no.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by fenistil

Problem is not full loot but because this game is just one big fps deatchmatch it more resemble Planetside with swords, magic and bows than it resemble an mmorpg. 

Remember most of UO players was NOT pk reds or even devoted anti-reds.  Most were people that did all other things - exploring world, pve, crafting, housing, trading, role-playing, etc and some of them were occasionally PvP-ing.

Darkfall is feel like game made by  pk'ers / reds from UO to another pk'er / reds.  Aside from PvP and sieges - it is empty shell - there is nothing else.  + macro-heavy twitch combat resembling Quake more than it resemble most mmoprpg combat also scare significant part of potential playerbase. 

I mean it is good that people that like this game will have an expansion and will have good time for a while.  Kudos to you.

This game does not have any chance to bring significant playerbase for above reasons. Also it is not possible to change it, changes would drive big part of existing playerbase and I don't believe that developer have resources to make huge wide array of changes to it.  Besides I don't even want it to change.  Iam FAR from changing anyone's so much that it start to be diffrent kind of a game.

So when I think "I would play this game if..... nothing realistical can be put here" .  

I was waiting for this game years ago as it was said to be next UO.  Sorry but apart of seamless world and medieval themeI really don't see much similarities between those games.

Also this will be considered blasphemy by some - total FFA PVP everywhere for mmorpg will NOT WORK.   This is why UO got more players when they introduced Trammel. Of course it was clusterfuck because it was band aid that did not make anyone happy.

EvE Online did it much better.  There is huge part of game that is practially almost PVP free and that is only way sandboxes with open world pvp can thrive.  Total unresticted pvp wont work of course unless you plan to have more than 1-2k players.

they have abigger dev team this time around so i actlly think they have more resources this time around and have learned from there mistakes

• WulfynWulfyn Member UncommonPosts: 19

FFA looting is not only the best thing for the PvP players but also for crafters. Added with equipment attrition the game determines that you will never have your equipment for very long (as even if you keep your gear until it breaks it will still at some point break). This means that players are in a constant need of resupply, which requires that resource gatherers and crafters get involved.

This is one area that the game broke down imo - because all skills, even crafting ones, had to be grinded it meant that the people that became the best crafters were the ones that were rich enough to subsidise their crafting. They paid you to be allowed to make their stuff because being allowed to use your mats to increase their skill was worth more to them than anything else. Then of course people only wanted to use those guys to make their stuff as it had the best stats and durability. That meant that a game that should have been a massive attraction to crafters eliminated 95% of them within a few months, and there was no point for new crafters to join the game at all.

www.ygworlds.net

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    "oh no my imaginary pixels are gone what shall do" /slitwrist
  • Ork-n-BeanzOrk-n-Beanz Member Posts: 20

See, I played Darkfall for about 2 years, off and on, and as a player who thinks PvP combat is fucking retarded, I did have a good time of it. Provided I had body guards, I could spend hours out in the world PvE'ing and gathering up crafting materials to arm my clan with the best I could provide. I liked that I could plan logistics around stockpiling weapons for a massive invasion of another clan's territory and I liked that it took time and effort to do that type of stuff.

That said, when I didn't have some 10 dudes watching my ass while I stared at a rock for a few minutes and moved to another rock the game was hardly more than an irritation. Half the time, I was just running from one arms deal to the next, and a journey that should have taken just an hour or so would take several, and I'd get killed for the grand total of fuck-all I was carrying, just on the off chance I was carrying something. What they need to do is set up some kind of "This guy's obviously carrying something/nothing of value" appearance modifier, like some kind of backpack inventory modifier (you need a bag to carry even coins, which shows on character skins, and backpacks and bags of varying size to carry much of anything else).

Personally, that one modifier would likely make the game FAR more worth my time to play. If nothing else, most of the time I got killed, hence interrupting what I was doing at the moment (which I cared about FAR more than losing inventory, because of grind), it was because "You never know what someone's carrying so kill them all and see." Fix that, and I'd probably join back up. Or at least make it obvious in terms of "coin purse, small bag, small pack, large pack" for carry weight and an obvious appearance modifier. It'd add a bit of realism (ohes noes!!11!) and mark obvious non-targets or obvious targets. Noone's gonna chase a naked dude with no backpack for the stuff they might swipe cause he might be a hidden crafter. They'd do it just for the kill, and it wouldn't even be an actual fight, so there'd be no point in it half the time anyway.

Second thing that would absolutely draw me to Unholy Wars is a fix to the fuckawful grind. The reason I got killed for "what I might be carrying" was that crafting materials were worth their weight in platinum-plated unicorn virgins born under full moons. Why? Grind. I made more money busting out my gathering skills to max, gathering up materials, and just selling them. Crafters would go ape shit when I'd post a bulk order of just about any crafting material. Crafted gear that wasn't 100 wisdon, maxed durability, and at least r60? Fuck-all. Nada. Nothing. Enchanted gear of just about any level was a slightly different story, just because noone could be arsed save for me and a handfull of others. Shit was irritating and difficult to do, but results were spectactular.

Anyway, they need to do something to make the crafting skills player-skill based, like they did combat, not "I've put together enough chain pants to equip everyone on the server 20 times so now I can work with plate metals." and more of some kind of minigame that got harder and harder as the integrity of the crafted item went up. Skill in the crafting type should modify the game somehow. My thought on the matter anyway. Would eliminate a LOT of the tedium for us crafters and make a skilled crafter more than someone who just had a lot of time/money to blow with a macro system.

Honestly, that's all they'd need to do to make the game attractive to me again, other than that, loved the fuck out of it and still point to Darkfall anytime someone goes "Oh, I'm so good at this hardcore PvP shit e-peen e-peen" on any other game. Cause if it's not Darkfall, it's not Hardcore PvP.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Sicc1

Exactly FFA PvP isnt for me, but I wouldnt want to change it, because this niche group needs a game that caters to that group. I know what its like to be starved for a game and it sucks. I am still waiting for another hardcore PVE ONLY game like FFXI. 

Archage maybe closer to what the OP wants, which I am also looking foward to.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Stick to your shitty games and please dont post threads on how to ruin my games. Thanks.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by toddze
    Originally posted by Sicc1

Exactly FFA PvP isnt for me, but I wouldnt want to change it, because this niche group needs a game that caters to that group. I know what its like to be starved for a game and it sucks.

Archage maybe closer to what the OP wants, which I am also looking foward to.

+1