Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And I'm a fanboi...

Yes ladies and gentleman. It is time to come out of the proverbial closet and say "I'm a fanboi". I genuinely and thoroughly enjoy a game and plan to play it for years to come. But I have to ask, what is the problem with this. What is so wrong about being a fan of something?

There are plenty of people who adore certain musicians, but are never reffered to as fanbois. Instead they are just called fans; a light, positive term. Yet if you like a game "too much" and are far too upbeat and not cynical or skeptical enough about its content then you are nothing more than a bloated fanboi who is 'blind' due to his over zealous love for the game. Are we blind or do we just see from a different perspective than you do. Is what either of us says the absolute truth?

What bothers me more than the whole word "fanboi" is the fact that no one claims themselves as one, but merely points the fingers at others. There are apparently millions of fanbois and no fanbois all at the same time. Just like there are millions of haters and concurrently none.

Is liking a game so evil; whether it be Guild Wars 2, Rift, or laws of physics help you if you like World of Warcraft(More recently reffered to World of Kung Fu Pokemon Craft). Or are people so afraid of having the great finger of the community pointed at them that they just stand on the fence and point at both sides all the while thinking "I should be safe up here".

What's worse is most people put themselves above most fanbois (and haters), and for what? Because you are indecisive and are searching for the "perfect true MMO" that clearly does not and never will exist. Nothing is perfect and not everything will suit your taste, but find something close enough and stick with it. I've seen people disown a game simply because this one tiny feature in this great big game doesn't suit their taste. Despite the fact that they enjoyed the rest of the game. All its great features, engaging combat, and interesting story be damned!

So yes, I am a fanboi. A big raging, blind, never know what im talking about, baseless, factless, tactless, over zealous, flaming fanboi. And just what are you gonna do about it? Post a long winded reply in which you quote parts of my post and beat my words senselessly about the head...or atleast that's what I'd expect.

Perhaps I'll be surprised.

Comments

• pmreeb23pmreeb23 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Its World of Chinpokecraft

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    people think fans of the game can't see things objectionally.. they feel because fans come and dispute points they make about not liking the game the fans have no rational reasoning and are "blind followers"..  happens with all games though...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion

Nothing is perfect and not everything will suit your taste, but find something close enough and stick with it. 

So romantic I'm going to use this as part of my wedding vows.   Thank you!

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

people think fans of the game can't see things objectionally.. they feel because fans come and dispute points they make about not liking the game the fans have no rational reasoning and are "blind followers"..  happens with all games though...

Aerowyn,I want u to list one flaw of the game right now :)
  • CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49

+1

As a side note, I found the definitions of fanboi to be very amusing: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboi.  I especially found #4 funny, considering several signatures found on this site.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Fanboy and fan is not the same thing. Fanboys are basically delusional people, so emotionally invested in their object of admiration that they cannot see things objectively and will attack any and all criticism of said object.
    Originally posted by tank017

could write a book:P where you want me to start pvp or PVE? either way game is still amazing..

first that sticks out for me is wish there was more options for weapon skills..  also BIG one for me is they really need an option to save multiple spec's so i don't have to respec everytime I want to run a dungeon.. anyway if anyone beleives i don't think this game has lots of flaws is delusional but who has time to talk about the real issues with all the crazy posts around here.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Fans? No. Fans are fine, they enjoy the game as much as anyone. And can readily accept and agree with other's negative opinions and still appreciate their game. But when you filter out information that doesn't fit the way you want it to and thus it becomes wrong or irrelevant, When the ONLY possibilities are those that work favorably for your game, When you find yourself saying, Sure there are things wrong, but then each and every time someone challenges your game, you are compelled to White Knight the topic, If you see an opinion you don't like and can't accept it without the need to correct, ridicule or silence the other's opinions, then you are a fanboi.

Holy Shit, I feel like this is a Jeff Foxworthy skit. Could even spin off a whole new thread

"You might be a fanboi"

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Yes ladies and gentleman. It is time to come out of the proverbial closet and say "I'm a fanboi". I genuinely and thoroughly enjoy a game and plan to play it for years to come. But I have to ask, what is the problem with this. What is so wrong about being a fan of something?

There are plenty of people who adore certain musicians, but are never reffered to as fanbois. Instead they are just called fans; a light, positive term. Yet if you like a game "too much" and are far too upbeat and not cynical or skeptical enough about its content then you are nothing more than a bloated fanboi who is 'blind' due to his over zealous love for the game. Are we blind or do we just see from a different perspective than you do. Is what either of us says the absolute truth?

What bothers me more than the whole word "fanboi" is the fact that no one claims themselves as one, but merely points the fingers at others. There are apparently millions of fanbois and no fanbois all at the same time. Just like there are millions of haters and concurrently none.

Is liking a game so evil; whether it be Guild Wars 2, Rift, or laws of physics help you if you like World of Warcraft(More recently reffered to World of Kung Fu Pokemon Craft). Or are people so afraid of having the great finger of the community pointed at them that they just stand on the fence and point at both sides all the while thinking "I should be safe up here".

What's worse is most people put themselves above most fanbois (and haters), and for what? Because you are indecisive and are searching for the "perfect true MMO" that clearly does not and never will exist. Nothing is perfect and not everything will suit your taste, but find something close enough and stick with it. I've seen people disown a game simply because this one tiny feature in this great big game doesn't suit their taste. Despite the fact that they enjoyed the rest of the game. All its great features, engaging combat, and interesting story be damned!

So yes, I am a fanboi. A big raging, blind, never know what im talking about, baseless, factless, tactless, over zealous, flaming fanboi. And just what are you gonna do about it? Post a long winded reply in which you quote parts of my post and beat my words senselessly about the head...or atleast that's what I'd expect.

Perhaps I'll be surprised.

Good for you, enjoy a game and don't hide your love for it, it what gaming is all about, the excitement that only games and young childern at christmas have :)

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

That's nice and all...

...As long as you aren't one of those players who run around oblivious to their surroundings and always dropping their aggros on somebody else already in combat. See someone else fighting vets and multiple mobs near a commune skillpoint, sneak in, grab the skillpoint, and bolt. Never help folks back on their feet, but will freaking call out when they go down. Stand in enemy aoes as if they don't exist, and then run away from your combo fields. Pretty sure you get the point by now :)

More concerned about how you play in whatever game you're playing.

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

Being a fan of anything is a sign of weakness in my eyes.  It's one of those vaginal ways of thinking which is formenting around our  society.  The term fan comes from fanatic.  Being a fan or having that fan mind set, you'll (in most cases) never look critically at what you like, you back yourself into a certain corner and usually then fall into that type of human thought that has plagued our species forever; us against them.  Disliking or liking someone because they agree or disagree with your opinion on something. 

However,  what is really really annoying is how the terms hater and fanboi are thrown around so lightly.  People become reluctant to voice their opinions because people are going to say "ah mah gad fanboi".  They're cop-out words. They're the MMORPG equivalent of racist, hippy, right wing looney, left wing commie.  All these words which make people contrite.  They  really shouldn't have a place on these forums where the average age seems to be around 35.  These forums have shocked me how people much older than me can be so immature.

Liking something is not the same as being a fan.

^ this :)

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

What's interesting is there are fanboi's of entire MMO styles. For instance, I'm sure most of you have seen the blind, unwavering sandbox fanbois post on this site. No matter what game comes out and how many fun and interesting features are added, it's not good enough...because it isn't SWG or EVE...

There is no discussion or reasoning with them. It's very cut and dry. If your game is a themepark type game, then it's crap. Period.

Originally posted by Psychow

What's interesting is there are fanboi's of entire MMO styles. For instance, I'm sure most of you have seen the blind, unwavering sandbox fanbois post on this site. No matter what game comes out and how many fun and interesting features are added, it's not good enough...because it isn't SWG or EVE...

There is no discussion or reasoning with them. It's very cut and dry. If your game is a themepark type game, then it's crap. Period.

see this more than anything else on this website...

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Sadly, I get the feeling they would just claim that only Themepark players do that, and go on and on about how utterly superior they are in every way.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

If you ask me they have every right to feel that way. Obviously arguing with them will go nowhere and will yield little to no meaningful outcome. At that point I say go find someone else to argue with and hope to science that they will bring meaningful conversation.

Additionally, it's fine to dislike the fanbois, but what happens when you become one or when you come close to being one. When you're in a situation where you are valliantly defending a game because you think it has viable merits to stand on? Will you be upset when someone comes to try and shoot you down saying that you are blindly following game X simply because they do not agree with what you say. I will say that satisfaction with a product despite its few or many shortcomings and being blind are two different things. Even most Apple fanbois aren't blind, though some are a bit too loyal and will shove their beliefs in your face more than bible thumpers.

Thing is we are all, to some degree, fanbois. We like game X or game Y and if someone attacks it we will more than likely be there to defend it. Whether we see things objectively is totally up to us. Thoug some "haters" will always say that you are blind and that nothing you say is objective...

could write a book:P where you want me to start pvp or PVE? either way game is still amazing..

first that sticks out for me is wish there was more options for weapon skills..  also BIG one for me is they really need an option to save multiple spec's so i don't have to respec everytime I want to run a dungeon.. anyway if anyone beleives i don't think this game has lots of flaws is delusional but who has time to talk about the real issues with all the crazy posts around here.

Oh damn, I'm taking a pic of this...haha, I'm just messin with ya

What's interesting is there are fanboi's of entire MMO styles. For instance, I'm sure most of you have seen the blind, unwavering sandbox fanbois post on this site. No matter what game comes out and how many fun and interesting features are added, it's not good enough...because it isn't SWG or EVE... There is no discussion or reasoning with them. It's very cut and dry. If your game is a themepark type game, then it's crap. Period.

I can't blame them for being jaded on the subject.How many quality sandboxes are there to quality themeparks? Some people want something different already.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

see this more than anything else on this website...

Interesting because I have never seen it. All posts from us promoting the sandbox style has always been with reasons for its superiority over themeparks. Never seen someone say ThemeParks are bad just because.

Oh damn, I'm taking a pic of this...haha, I'm just messin with ya

ha! :P

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You have every right to be OP. It's not ok flame and dismiss those who don't feel the same though. This is were some "fanbois" cross the line.

I've never called anyone a fanboy/girl before btw. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

I openly admit to being a TSW and Funcom Fanboi...you won't stop me either.  Ill dispute everything someone says :P

You can do the same with GW2...nothing wrong with that at all...it's your life...not me or anyone else can tell you it's wrong...

But, when I come on here and try to point out a few things I see wrong with GW2 and you dispute it as being ridiculous....don't be surprised if I label you a fanboi....you can do the same with me on TSW forums...I won't take any offense, because I know it's true and because Im the most insensitve person on Earth....don't care what anyone says about me.

In the end, the forums are for gamers who want to talk to other games but never can...whether it be in agreement, for advice or in disagreement, we should always love the fact that forums exhist to allow us to do this.

I feel for the sandbox crowd....they get the shaft pretty hardcore, but I think the sandbox crowd has to realize that there isn't a market for sandbox games (big market) or else a AAA company would put the effort in to make one....it would be stupid of them not too...

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Fanboy and fan is not the same thing. Fanboys are basically delusional people, so emotionally invested in their object of admiration that they cannot see things objectively and will attack any and all criticism of said object.

Pretty much this

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I have no issues with fans of a game.  I do have issues with fanbois who cannot accept that others may not like the game they love and then attack them for it, as if you don't have the right to even have an opinion unless it's glowingly possitive.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Randayn

I openly admit to being a TSW and Funcom Fanboi...you won't stop me either.  Ill dispute everything someone says :P

You can do the same with GW2...nothing wrong with that at all...it's your life...not me or anyone else can tell you it's wrong...

But, when I come on here and try to point out a few things I see wrong with GW2 and you dispute it as being ridiculous....don't be surprised if I label you a fanboi....you can do the same with me on TSW forums...I won't take any offense, because I know it's true and because Im the most insensitve person on Earth....don't care what anyone says about me.

In the end, the forums are for gamers who want to talk to other games but never can...whether it be in agreement, for advice or in disagreement, we should always love the fact that forums exhist to allow us to do this.

I feel for the sandbox crowd....they get the shaft pretty hardcore, but I think the sandbox crowd has to realize that there isn't a market for sandbox games (big market) or else a AAA company would put the effort in to make one....it would be stupid of them not too...

I guess you're content with forums being a cesspool of childish discussion?

Also I don't know why people say there isn't a big market for sanboxes.  Runescape which is sandboxy has over 100 million accounts created,10 million peak players, EVE has 500,000 subs, hardly small.  You think Mortal Online or Darkfall, or any extremely low budget MMO would have even 100 players if they were themeparks, the whole polava with them  revolved around them being sandboxes.  You think Minecraft would have been successful if you couldn't change or build anything and you played a pre-determined level made by Notch?

You're right. it is stupid for them not to.  Companies are stupid.  The moutains of unsuccessful WoW esque games are evidence of that.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

MMO fanbois never can admit the bad paarts of a game...

I like GW2 a lot, but it do still have bad parts. I run the Iron marches this morning, plemty of bugs there. To get completion I was forced to murder loggers in Hellion forrest by kiting spiders on them until I finally found the only one that would be attacked by the undeads when he was up. That was the only bugged HQ there but I saw several bugged DEs in the few hours it took to clear the zone.

The game was not really released when it was ready and while the lower half of the game is fixed up there is still plenty to do in the upper part.

Still, last time I had so fun in a MMO was in Meridian 59 16 years ago...

Great game but it have its faults and anyone saying it is perfect is lying through their teeths.

This discussion has been closed.