Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers should be divided by language not country.

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

We should have English server, Japanese server, Spanish server, French server, Russian server, Mandarin-Chinese server, etc, etc.  Not US, UK, Russia, China, etc.  I don't like being separated from the British and Australian gamers when I play.  Or even separated West Coast from East Coast, USA.   I'm not focused on one single game just every and all mmorpgs.  All mmorpgs should have world wide access.  Not serve just one country.  Exceptions Beta / beginning / under budget.  Why strive to serve only one continent / region?

Mostly, I'm tired of being separated from other English speaking persons.

Comments

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Latency due to geographical location, and time zones play a big role, heck somtimes even bigger than language barriers.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Location is kind of important when talking about servers.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    If a game is sensitive to latency, then having US, Britain, and Australia players on the same servers is going to work very badly for at least one of those groups.  That only applies to some games, though.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Pretty much, one of my biggest issues with MMO is that I live in Europe and people do not conform to a standard language. I usually end up playing on a US server.

I realise some people want to speak their own language but I do not speak German or Spanish on a server in the presence of others if I know they don't understand me, blabbering in a different language in a group where people don't understand you is so annoying, I don't think you know how annoying it is when you speak to someone and 6 other people have to listen to your drivel, sorry, but it is just basic respect to pick a language everyone understands.

And if you have time to play a game you have time to learn English too, it's not a hard language to master at all, there is no excuse as to why you can't use a language that most people understand.

Originally posted by DOGMA1138
    Latency due to geographical location, and time zones play a big role, heck somtimes even bigger than language barriers.

Maybe my connection is great or maybe I'm just lucky but I never have latency issues, I can get sub 100ms ping to a US or Japanese server.

Time zone can cause some issues though, but usually if there are enough Australian and European players on the server you tend to have a server that is full 24/7, which is actually kind of a benefit.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

I agree. The latency would suck though.

Here in Europe, that is how the servers are usually sepreated.  It doesn't change anything though.

It is aboslutely completely infuriating when I see dutch, german or french all over the english speaking servers when I play, but I guess that is because there aren't enought brits on that server.

It's come to the point where I would rather suffer huge latency and play with Americans than have to constantly read annoying European languages.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Biggest problem is the players who don't speak english. You can't make them do anything right. They just spew their gibberish and walk into their deaths with a stupid grin on their face (I imagine). Ignorance is bliss, I guess: They are completely ignorant of the feedback people give 'em.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

How does EVE online server work?  It's just one server with people playing from all over the world, I've never heeard anyone complain about lag and I've never experienced lag at all.  What system do they use and can it be used in other games?

Originally posted by Quirhid
    Biggest problem is the players who don't speak english. You can't make them do anything right. They just spew their gibberish and walk into their deaths with a stupid grin on their face (I imagine). Ignorance is bliss, I guess: They are completely ignorant of the feedback people give 'em.

Yes, there's no bad players, there's only players who won't listen.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

No problem just place all English servers in Europe.       I have at least 3-4x times higher latency to US servers than to EU ones and it is normal considering distance.

Biggest diffrence in  In FPS games it is normal that I have 6 x times higher to USA than to most EU (~120-160 ms+  vs 20-35 ms). 

Of course that is when servers are on great uplink on east coast.  If they are anywhere else like Texas or west coast it can be 200-400 ms (like to Aion US servers when I checked out of curiosity).

So thanks but no thanks.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

no,

We need one single server for all world...regional or lenguage separated servers should to be history

Originally posted by CalmOceans

Maybe my connection is great or maybe I'm just lucky but I never have latency issues, I can get sub 100ms ping to a US or Japanese server.

Time zone can cause some issues though, but usually if there are enough Australian and European players on the server you tend to have a server that is full 24/7, which is actually kind of a benefit.

sub 100 ms to Japan from Europe?  I call that bullshit as it is not physicaly possible.

To USA?  Maybe having a great connection from western outskirst of Europe like UK.  Try to achieve that ping from Germany or further east or south.

Besides no idea where you get all this games when people speak all those languages.  I play on english servers in EU and on most of them (unless specfic server got unofficial Italy server of something but that's easily check able and mostly in gig games like GW2) 90-100% of chat is in english.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by JosephJR

no,

We need one single server for all world...regional or lenguage separated servers should to be history

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by fenistil

sub 100 ms to Japan from Europe?  I call that bullshit as it is not physicaly possible.

To USA?  Maybe having a great connection from western outskirst of Europe like UK.  Try to achieve that ping from Germany or further east or south.

It's pretty easy, my connection is simple cable and I can do it to the US, to Japan I can do 150ms, I could do 100ms if I really wanted with a good server.

This is to a random US server, the first one I picked was sub 100, and my connection isn't the best, on our school network which is fully fibreglass Level 3 you can easily do sub 60ms to the US.

It's pretty easy, my connection is simple cable and I can do it to the US, to Japan I can do 150ms, I could do 100ms if I really wanted with a good server.

This is to a random US server, the first one I picked was sub 100, and my connection isn't the best, on our school network which is fully fibreglass Level 3 you can easily do sub 60ms to the US.

That is so depressing.  I have pretty decent internet here in the UK, and connecting to east coast US servers I get about 150-200ms.  Shiiieeeet I even get around 50-60 for UK servers.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Try living in Australia or NZ which have horrid connections due to physical limitations, and even in the UK if you do not live in London or a major city you most likely will have an below avertage connection, i get about 70-80MS to Mainland EU/UK and about 100MS to both coasts in the continetal US, but that does not mean every one else does. I've played with people in the EU that have worse latency than i have, and i dont live in the EU, i've played with people from the US when WoW first came out that were still using dial-up just because they were living some where in the middle of montana and even today the situation did not change drastically in some of the more rural places in the US, there are towns that provide DSL over ISDN even today just because there is not a single fiberoptic cable any where near by.

The US is a huge place, with really bad infrastructure across many areas due to allmost non existant population density and the fact that the form of goverment in the US does not really enforce any standards and minimal requirements like the EU or other country have, since the 90's every new city has to be build here with an fiber optic infrastructre, since 2002 ever new apartment building has to be build with its own coax-cable/dsl infrastructure to be FTTH/FTTP ready, there is nothing like that in the US not nation wide atleast.

I would really want to see that 150 ms to Japan. 

Also it is constant in game and you have no packet lost?

Also if your schol is technical school practically sitting on barebone then this is something that almost noone will be able to get.

Anyway when I will have constant under 60 ms without packet lost from home then sever can be anywhere.

For now anyone can play everywhere they want but If game server is in USA there is big chance I won't play it.  I am really past paying for being second grade consumer.

Of course not to mention that servers ARE divided by language.  In EU usually servers are English, French and German language.   They are divided by language not country, there are more than 1 countries in Europe that speak each of those language.

Also when you will be in school please show this under 60 ms to USA.

Sometimes it's constant yeah, it really depends on the game and what servers they have.

Fiberglass can do 200,000 kilometers per second +/-, according to "distancefromto.net" , our school is 3800 km away from the US. If you could avoid any lag the best connection possible would be 38ms, so getting 60ms to the US isn't such a big deal.

edit: it's round trip

Also when you will be in school please show this under 60 ms to USA.

Sometimes it's constant yeah, it really depends on the game and what servers they have.

Fiberglass can do 200,000 kilometers per second +/-, according to "distancefromto.net" , our school is 3800 km away from the US. If you could avoid any lag the best connection possible would be 19ms, so getting 60ms to the US isn't such a big deal.

That's it if it is straight psysical cable from one machine to another without any hoops practially from one end of backbone to another.  This is not something that regular person can achieve.  Maybe in future.

Usually pepple that don't live very close to backbone and / or that are not from western outskirst of Europe - have 15-30 or more hops to get by. And that retraction speed is only avabile if there are no hops and in certain conditions. Practically labolatory consictions.

Still would like to see that 150 ms to Japan though. There are servers on speedtest.net in Japan also you were speaking about your home connection.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Often the split is because of distribution deals, customer services and other legal crap. And also because of server locations etc.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

There are servers on speedtest.net in Japan also you were speaking about your home connection.

speedtest to japan just for you

There are servers on speedtest.net in Japan also you were speaking about your home connection.

speedtest to japan just for you

Thanks, that's twice what you originally stated and 50 ms more than you stated second time.

Also maybe you don't experience anything like that, but ping latency usually coresspond to lowest experienced latency in game.  In example - if I have ping to mmorpg server at 30 ms - my latency in game while playing in 30-50 ms on average and that value rise further away server is.

Also on vert long connections (over continent) packet losts start to occur while  I don't have them in Europe.

Of course even though we both live in Europe we are propably quite far away from each other and also location in same country can influence it alot - so our experience can be diffrent.

Anyway - I can play in USA in most games (though not in all) and have relative comfort , thiugh it is noiticeably worse than when I play in EU in my geographical location.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    cracks me up when people give faster than light ping times. XD

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    How does EVE online server work?  It's just one server with people playing from all over the world, I've never heeard anyone complain about lag and I've never experienced lag at all.  What system do they use and can it be used in other games?

One massive pile of extremely kickass machines in London. Here's an old but still relevant article on it.

Regarding languages, players can create their own channels, and there are active channels for many of the common languages spoken in EVE.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Velocinox
    cracks me up when people give faster than light ping times. XD

yah, no one did

light takes 130ms to travel around the world, since you only need to go halfway, the furthest 2 points on Earth are ever apart is 65ms

with the right servers, lag should become non-existant, fibreglass operates at speeds just below the speed of light, enabling you to play anywhere in the world, the only thing holding those ping times back is internet infrastructure