Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EVE Online: Winter Expansion 'Retribution' Unveiled

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We recently attended a press conference with CCP Games’ Ned  ‘CCP Manifest’ Coker to learn all about EVE Online’s upcoming winter expansion – Retribution. Today, we’re bringing you all the details, so be sure to read on!

Retribution, the upcoming winter expansion to EVE Online, is the game’s 18th free expansion. Each of EVE’s expansion tends to feature a theme and in Retribution the theme is consequences. EVE is known for all sorts of emergent gameplay, both bad and good, and Retribution is all about the consequences of players’ actions. In order to accomplish this goal, CCP Games intends to make some major changes to a number of game systems with Retribution, and we’ve got all the details below.

Read more of Michael Bitton's EVE Online: Winter Expansion 'Retribution' Unveiled.

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

So I guess we can safely say that "Walking in Stations" can qualified as utter failure and nothing will be done anymore.

They can then just as well remove it from the game. As right now it's just an utterly useless resource hog. /facepalm

A real shame. As I have always been looking forward to the avatar implementation and fully functional space stations and meet other players. /shrug

• PiraalPiraal Member Posts: 4
    Very few of the actual playerbase want to walk in station, but CCP still has some dev.'s working on it, it was also the framework for world of darkness.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Piraal
    Very few of the actual playerbase want to walk in station, but CCP still has some dev.'s working on it, it was also the framework for world of darkness.

You are wrong, it was very few, but EXTREMELY VOCAL hardcore segment of the playerbase that did not want it!

There were plenty of people that want Walking in Stations.

But like in so many MMO's. Devs always seem to crave in for the Vocal minority. /sigh

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by JeroKane

You are wrong, it was very few, but EXTREMELY VOCAL hardcore segment of the playerbase that did not want it!

But like in so many MMO's. Devs always seem to crave in for the Vocal minority. /sigh

I think the people who chose to play EVE all those years, didn't choose to do so because they thought eventually they could walk around.  I think they chose to play EVE for what the game actually IS.

If I want to walk around, I'll either get up off my chair and do it in real life, or play any other lesser MMO.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

People wanted them to focus on what many perceived to be the the core concept, as opposed to what many perceived to be fluff.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45

It's probably true, because I for one have been waiting YEARS to be able to get out of my ship, and if that ever actually happens, I would be a full-time Eve player. I do agree though, that probably a SMALL very vocal part of the playerbase were the only ones against out of ship gameplay. 

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

So I guess we can safely say that "Walking in Stations" can qualified as utter failure and nothing will be done anymore.

They can then just as well remove it from the game. As right now it's just an utterly useless resource hog. /facepalm

A real shame. As I have always been looking forward to the avatar implementation and fully functional space stations and meet other players. /shrug

You can always have the old ship view when docked if WIS is too much of a resource hog. Like an above poster said, they've got a small team devoted to WIS entirely. There was some hints from dev posts that they're working on randomly generated stations for players to walk around in, and are working on actual gameplay elements that aren't just shoehorned in but rather benefit the game.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Not to offend EVE players, but an MMO company cannot think *only* about their current subscribers. They have to look at how they can reach out to other potential players as well. Just don't do it in a way that really destroys the game experience that your core fanbase is used to (like NGE in SWG).

Walking in stations is just a logical step for EVE... Because, as likely as it is that the current subscriber base isn't too interested in it, there are surely a lot of players who never give EVE a chance just on grounds that you don't have a human avatar but "are a spaceship". :) 

So, maybe putting too many resources on it in a way that takes away from improvement / tuning of the game in its core components was a bad move, but keeping development on it would certainly be smart.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Walking around on stations would be cool, completely un needed though. If it was implemented, I would probably never use it, just like how i never use the captains quaters.  

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Let's stay on topic, guys. This is about Retribution, not Walking in Stations.
  • BraavosiBraavosi Member Posts: 149
    Can someone explain the difference between combat and attack?

is attack speed?
  • JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

That bounty changes seem very good.  If the payouts are less than the hull popped I don't see how anyone could "game" the system.  Actually going to go over to the site and read up a bit more on it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Unified inventory, that has potential to really impact game play. Not sure how much and if it will be better or worse.

I mean, what if they let you buy a bunch of stuff on an empire based alt, contract it to your main, would the stuff show up in your 0.0 station? Maybe i'm misunderstanding.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Unified inventory, that has potential to really impact game play. Not sure how much and if it will be better or worse.

Unified inventory is already in eve since may and it is total crap ,i dont get what they mean with  that.CCP pulled an NGE with that unified inventory altought it had been warned how crap it is.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=117617&find=unread

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=112481&find=unread

Originally posted by pimpdizzle
    Can someone explain the difference between combat and attack?

is attack speed?

Combat is more of the DPS ship, where attack is more of the faster agile ship used more as tackle,  or heavy tackle in the crusiers case.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Okay, someone help me out.

What exacly is unified inventory?

I know what I think it means. But I want to know what it really means.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567
    As said, walking in stations is fluff. I do enjoy the concept, and Jita would be interesting to see everyone walking around and sitting near hubs. It is fluff though, someday it'll happen! 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

Originally posted by Hokie

When your in station you can see everything you own in one window in that station(personal hanger, ship hanger, corp hangers), and you can drag, and drop things from say your personal hanger to any of the ships in the hanger cargo, without  opening up any other windows.  It's just much less clicking, much less screen cluter, and its much easier to see everything you own in that station in one window.  But like someone else already said it was released months ago,  and it was alittle buggy when it first came out, and people in general don't like change, so there were many forum tears.

• WolfHaartWolfHaart Member UncommonPosts: 216

If I'm not mistaken, I read once that CCP's real dream with EVE was never for it to only be a spaceship game. CCP wanted from the beginning that people would be able to walk around with their avatars. CCP's vision of EVE Online was that of a living galaxy, with stations, planets, spaceships.

Originally posted by PrinceDamien

If I'm not mistaken, I read once that CCP's real dream with EVE was never for it to only be a spaceship game. CCP wanted from the beginning that people would be able to walk around with their avatars. CCP's vision of EVE Online was that of a living galaxy, with stations, planets, spaceships.

That maybe true, I really have no idea what their vision is.  But CCP is after all a business, and when Incana (the captains quarters update) was release, it wasn't just the out cry from the playerbase to stick with "flying in space" development, it was the subscriber numbers they lost in the months after the "walking in station" update came out which gave them pause.  People were not happy, and they were telling CCP with their wallet, shortly after CCP said in Dev. blogs they would focus on what people wanted, and released Crucible, subscriber numbers shot back up to pre- incana numbers.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

I care nothing for walking in stations. Never thought that was what this game was about.

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

I hope they do more with walking in stations - I resubbed because they had added it, and then unsubbed in disappointment at how much talking they had done for no real improvement in the game.  Blowing up SBUs was still as much fun as eating chalk, there were essentially the same old powerblocs and everyone else were simply pawns to those blocs, and pretty ships becomming prettier didn't make ice any less boring to mine.

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181

Well as a newish player that recently went back, i must say the whole avatar/character create in EvE is pretty amazing. I'm comparing this specifically to recent MMOs like The Secret World, which was built alot around customizing your character . So in terms of customizing your face, clothing, character looks, EvE has done an awesome job , the actual "use" of that whole engine is unfortunately not realised, seems to boil down to taking a screenshot of your awesome avatar , but still scary to think that this is better than alot of MMOs out there where you stare at your avatar all the time.

Maybe they should license it or something, since i can think of alot of MMOs where everyone complain about the customization options and the devs can't seem to get it right ;-)

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    But how will performance be with that customization and a bunch of avatars on the screen?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Hokie

When your in station you can see everything you own in one window in that station(personal hanger, ship hanger, corp hangers), and you can drag, and drop things from say your personal hanger to any of the ships in the hanger cargo, without  opening up any other windows.  It's just much less clicking, much less screen cluter, and its much easier to see everything you own in that station in one window.  But like someone else already said it was released months ago,  and it was alittle buggy when it first came out, and people in general don't like change, so there were many forum tears.

actually there is much more clicking involved, especially if you have several ships at a station, which most do, its necessary to shift+click to open a new window for the destination you want to take an item to, and then do the same for wherever the item is located, and drag and drop between these two, it can be easier to use the hangar view, and right click on a ship and select cargo, then shift click on the cargo hold, and then do the same again for another ship to transfer items from one ship to another, this is because unless you do this, each time you open a cargo view, it will overwrite the previous cargo view, meaning you cannot drag items between the two without shift+clicking open another cargo view seperate from the main item view. it does become a bit of a click fest at times, especially if you want to grab a few drones from a carrier to dump into another ship. Its a system that takes a bit of work to get used to. as it is anything but a simplified system.