Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Fail?

Comments

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I like that gw2 is casual friendly. I'm older now, I like a game I can dip in and out of, I don't want a second job.

It's not the game for everyone though, its not designed for the people who like grinding stuff for 8 hours + a day.

what worries me the most, now instead of WoWclones which were at least challenging to some degree we will see guildwars2ified WoWclones, further dumbed down ultracasual consoly jump in jump out Theme Park MMOs with even more stripped down game mechanics. Anet lowered the bars for the sake of "accessibilty", which to me means a totally pointless and stale game experience.

Hope that at the same time we will see some AAA ultra hardcore permadeath complicated, group dependent, beginner hating MMOs so I can spill down the lukewarm aftertaste from Gw2 which is still in my mouth.  

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    I like that gw2 is casual friendly. I'm older now, I like a game I can dip in and out of, I don't want a second job.

It's not the game for everyone though, its not designed for the people who like grinding stuff for 8 hours + a day.

what worries me the most, now instead of WoWclones which were at least challenging to some degree we will see guildwars2ified WoWclones, further dumbed down ultracasual consoly jump in jump out Theme Park MMOs with even more stripped down game mechanics. Anet lowered the bars for the sake of "accessibilty", which to me means a totally pointless and stale game experience.

Hope that at the same time we will see some AAA ultra hardcore permadeath complicated, group dependent, beginner hating MMOs so I can spill down the lukewarm aftertaste from Gw2 which is still in my mouth.  

Are you delusional? one thing is to ask for a AAA sandbox game, another is to ask for the mother of all small niches to be made with AAA quality. Its never  gona happen.

Also i loled at WoW being challenging. maybe back in 2005 or so, now......

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by austriacus

Are you delusional? one thing is to ask for a AAA sandbox game, another is to ask for the mother of all small niches to be made with AAA quality. Its never  gona happen.

Also i loled at WoW being challenging. maybe back in 2005 or so, now......

WOW has never been challenging. Talk about carebear casual friendly crap. I love that GW2 doesn't reward people for not having a life outside gaming. You shouldn't have an easier time in PVP just because you play 10 hours a day.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Finally an mmo for those of us who don't wanna just get to the "end game" real quick. Reminds me of the old days when building was just as important.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    GW2 is a game for casuals and those who want to play their game rather than live it. In just a month I have had a rediculous amount of fun and am only lvl 47.  There is fun everywhere, especially for those who take the time to play the game as it was designed. In short the OP should go grind away his existence in a game that requires 8 hour per day devotion. 
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

I know what I expected out of the game, and that is no traditional endgame that makes me feel like everything else beforehand is obsolete content. That's what I got, so I'm content.

So no, GW2 isn't fail to me.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by david361107

I've posted a few things here about GW2, nothing bad and nothing great, which is pretty much how i feel about this game. [mod edit] GW2 is too easy to level, way to setup for the casual players, will not hold population do to this. The PVP is kind of funny because it doesn't mean anything really, can't wear what gear i want when i want to? what is this? I just hate games that force you to do things, like oh you want to pvp? here your level 80 now, oh you want to wear your pvp gear in the world? are you crazy? you can't do that, you have to wear your pve gear there, it's just silly.

I'm going to say no GW2 is not Fail, but it's not the epic great game fans say it is either. I just hope that over time they make some changes, then it might be something i go back and look at.

Peace,

Lascer

Obviously to the FANS it IS the great game they say it is.  That's why they're fans.  We're all entitled to our opinions and recognizing that is simply part of maturity. 

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Haters are hitting a new low.  They are actually trying to argue that GW2 is F2P instead of B2P.  I guess they need something to hate on since their other arguments fail.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Even F2P titles like GW2 can fail, if no one is playing them anymore and no one purchases stuff in their cash shop.

There is a bunch of F2P MMOs which got shut down at some point

Please swap your F and B buttons on your keyboard.

Why? I´m not getting framed by a marketing heist and someone replacing "F" with "B" and call it a new model. GW2 is F2P with a cash shop, end of story.

Umm what is a game that is actually free to play then? Like all these ones (probably with a cash shop) you just download without paying for and go for it? D2P - Download to Play? F2P for me have always been no cost downloads...

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    I don't get what all the hate is for. Every game has it's nitch play what makes you happy. No need to try and drag down a game because it doesnt suit you.
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    If I were you I'd cancel my sub immediately and show ANET who's the boss!  image

Lolz...

Bandit 

Asbo

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by evolver1972

I personally think GW2 is an epic game.  But then again, I'm a mostly PvE player.  I dabble some in WvWvW (I see that as something long term later after I finish the story line).  I think the problem for some people is that they rush through the game to get to 80.  Then they think, "now what?  I don't want to go back to the lower areas.  I don't get to wear my super awesome PvP gear in PvE.  So, now what do I do?"  It is a dillema for sure.

I prefer the slower approach.  See the game.  Live the game.  Enjoy it in the PvE area.  I've been exploring like crazy and following my story.  Trying to build a life for my character.  That's what makes it epic for me.

I agree with you as well, maybe because I am older is why I like the start of mmos years and years ago you took your time...now with the ADD generation t hey want it all now now now and when they get it they are then bored.

I never understood why folks rushed t hrough to get to 80 blow past content and then are burnt out and feel a bit lackluster about the game.   Take your time there isnt a rush and as you do that by the time you do hit 80 more content will already be on it's way if not already out by then.  

Plus there are so many paths for each class/race combo you really can have many long epic adventures if you just take the time to enjoy them and HAVE FUN abover anything.  At least for me i do not enjoy rushing it takes the fun out of it and becomes more like a job then entertainment.

just my two cents. and ive been playing mmos for about 17 years now.

• beerwigbeerwig Member Posts: 22
      GW2 is a fail for me.I stopped playing a while ago.The pvp is just terrible.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    What was the point of this? Can anyone seriously answer me? Please?
  • Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Well put OP. The "you pvprs go play over here in this little area." really bothers me. 

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/suggestions/GW2-and-Swtor-1st-moth-comparison-graphs/first#post297043

Quit making yourself look stupid in both the official forums and others. Please.

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Finally an mmo for those of us who don't wanna just get to the "end game" real quick. Reminds me of the old days when building was just as important.

nice excuse for having no endgame at all. Well played

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Serin101
    Well put OP. The "you pvprs go play over here in this little area." really bothers me. 

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/suggestions/GW2-and-Swtor-1st-moth-comparison-graphs/first#post297043

Quit making yourself look stupid in both the official forums and others. Please.

trolling all over lol.... someone's on a mission it seems.

Spvp puts pvprs off in a little area called the mist, that's cut off from the rest of the game world.. This is true. You still attack me personally.

Swtor 1st month

GW2 !st month

This is what is linked to, which is true. Yet and still, you attack me personally. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by observer
    Haters are hitting a new low.  They are actually trying to argue that GW2 is F2P instead of B2P.  I guess they need something to hate on since their other arguments fail.

B2P is another marketing invention by Arenanet, like calling glorified yellow circles "dynamic events".

You either got the cheapest lifetime sub on the market with GW2, or it's a F2P title with upfront box cost and cash shop.

That is the reality. B2P is nothing new, just a shiny new name for old business models others invented long, long ago.

LOTRO+lifetime sub = buy to play

TSW + lifetime sub = buy to play

Any other MMO + lifetime sub = buy to play

Spvp puts pvprs off in a little area called the mist, that's cut off from the rest of the game world.. This is true. You still attack me personally.

Swtor 1st month

GW2 !st month

This is what is linked to, which is true. Yet and still, you attack me personally. 

He is right... However there are huge differences between swtor and guild wars 2 that could easily explain this and the bright you're for gw2. I would list them here, but I am on my iPad.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by observer

B2P is another marketing invention by Arenanet, like calling glorified yellow circles "dynamic events".

You either got the cheapest lifetime sub on the market with GW2, or it's a F2P title with upfront box cost and cash shop.

That is the reality. B2P is nothing new, just a shiny new name for old business models others invented long, long ago.

LOTRO+lifetime sub = buy to play

TSW + lifetime sub = buy to play

Any other MMO + lifetime sub = buy to play

Youre right. LOTRO, TSW, etc invented it.... several years after GW1 was already using it.

Originally posted by KingJiggly

Swtor 1st month

GW2 !st month

He is right... However there are huge differences between swtor and guild wars 2 that could easily explain this and the bright you're for gw2. I would list them here, but I am on my iPad.

What are the reasons? Give me two if you have time. I've heard one. This poster said that there is no prep time in GW2 so people play less. It's the best answer I've heard because it's the only one I've heard.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

What are the reasons? Give me two if you have time. I've heard one. This poster said that there is no prep time in GW2 so people play less. It's the best answer I've heard because it's the only one I've heard.

I'll give ya two...

#1:  Based on what games are popular on X-Fire I'd say the site trends a bit more "hardcore" and the people most likely to still be putting longer marathon sessions into the game are "casuals" or more accurately "non-raiders" who are happily working on their Crafting or Legendaries or World Completion or just wandering the world or helping lower level guildies.

I'm guessing (impossible to tell) that the X-Fire players that are still playing hop in for a few matches of sPvP or maybe some WvW if they don't get caught in queues. We might see X-Fire numbers trend upwards after ANet implements a solution for WvW Queues and introduces GvG, Sponsored Tournaments, and Spectator Mode which are the kind of features that cater to the (IMO) "X-Fire crowd."

Previous MMOs have inflated numbers merely because people are running the same Raids over and over again every week for months. They will farm mats to raid, log in early to prepare for their raid, talk after their raid, and deal with any "gear adjustments" they need to make as well.

That playstyle kept "X-Fire Users" in-game for quite some time. It didn't work well in SWTOR because TBH the "gear grind" wasn't "grindy" enough and people blew through it with nothing left to do. These same people have also largely left GW2 as well as it doesn't have that kind of an "endgame" at all.

#2:  Following on to that last point, X-Fire isn't going to be good at tracking how many new people come into the game unless they are "X-Fire Users" and I expect that kind of gamer to be more of an "early adopter" than a "follower" when it comes to games. GW2 is still #2 and #7 on Amazon which means there are new players... but I'll bet hardly any of them are X-Fire Users.

Like I said all theory and speculation, but the GW2 Servers are still well-populated in all the zones I play in. You don't see anybody making "ghost town" posts like we saw with SWTOR nor "problem getting groups/need LFG" threads. To me that's a pretty clear sign that the Server Populations are still healthy regardless of X-Fire numbers.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

nice excuse for having no endgame at all. Well played

As if people like you would stick around even if it had traditional endgame.

Originally posted by KingJiggly

Swtor 1st month

GW2 !st month

Ok, here I go ( I am back at a normal computer now :D)

Guild Wars 2 vs Swtor success (or not so much :P)

1. The Company. While both Anet and BW were very good and well thought of companies, the EA company suffered a huge letdown by being voted worst company. While the definantly hampered Swtor, NCsoft has yet (if ever) to recieve such negative publicity. This lack of bad publicity will aid for the success of future games, along with the care of their games. This will help Anet, along with GW2, to be successful.

2. The game has recieved positive reviews acroos the board, both by people and notable reviewers. Gw2 has rcieved huge positive publicity, with many major youtube channels (CynicBrit, Yogscast and other who use such) giving it thumbs up reviews. Youtube holds a HUGE affect over the heads of any company,  especially video games. If you see widespread hate on any game on youtube, expect it to fail soon. Or if good, expect it t be a smash hit. Minecraft is a great example. This will hopefully keep GW2 on top, should you see any change in that, expect gw2 to fail. But so far, it isnt.

*This also goes with any other pop culture ideals (tv shows, webisties, memes... look at the constant mention of WoW on Big Bang Theory)

3. B2P. The lack of a cost monthly promotes the player to "Play on the go". This lack of "needing to play" is great for both people and the company. People dont have to play it for it to be a success. Not only thate, but a prevents people from saying "OMG THIS GAME FAILED NO SUBS LOLZ". This will aid in the success of gw2.

4. The growing of major guilds in Esports. While GW2 has yet to hit mainstream with its Esports, already PvP Guilds are growing. Hopefully, as the spread of Gw2 Esport grows, it will grow the game as well. Examples : SC2 and LoL.

5. Time of release. I have school, so I can't play 24/7 as I would like. It is also very nice out, so why would I stay inside and paly? It is not like I have to pay a sub. Swtor was released in the Winter Months. It is cold. No one wants to go outside. So those numbers you see I bet are artificially increased thanks to the simple fact people dont want to go outside. Look at major movie releases. Avatar, released in the Winter months, so people went to see it multiple times, aiding in its hype along with growing in the box office. It also had very little competetion.

6. Competition. Swtor hardly had any major competition at its release. This increased numbers. GW2, however, had MOP, TSW, and others, quite frankly, it is doing very well with these releases.

That is all I can think of atm, but if you require more, I am sure I will think up some more.

Edit: I did not include the trustworthiness of Xfire simply because I will know I will be attacked doing so. However, I will say that GW2 brought in MANY non MMO players who have never heard of Xfire. I myself never heard of it until GW2. So, It is possible that most players do not use Xfire. I don't.

I wrote a lot, no need though ;) Ty for the reply.