Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay As Far Away From ArenaNet As Possible

RadakillRadakill Member UncommonPosts: 29

In case In case you havent been following their forums, ArenaNet is experiencing problems of biblical proportions. And not only are they buried in issues they find daunting, its the customer, the person that paid $60 for a game they were excited about playing, that really gets it "in the end".

Let me explain.

I bought this game over a week ago, lets say 10 days. For the first few days things were going pretty well, I made a few characters, explored some and overall, was enjoying the experience. The game itself is pretty good for the money, although I personally think that even with the "dynamic" events (which really, are nothing more then just quests that spawn on a timer) the game might be more of a bubble than a long term enjoyment.

The first mistake I made, was reading an article by Mike O'Brien regarding password issues and account security. Mike suggested that everyone that had not made a unique password, and a password that is 4 word generated, should do so and change theirs immediately, due to a high volume of hacks to existing accounts using password from previous games. OK, so that sounded like wisdom to me, so I did just that, I went to my account options on their website, and changed my password to one I felt was unique and very hard to hack. Then all hell broke loose...

Right away when I attempted to log back into the game, my NEW password didnt work. Tried and retried, including variations of the password, resulted in the same thing, an error. Attempted to reset THAT password by clicking on the "Forgot your Password" link on their logon page, that brings me to another page that simply says "Not Available".

Great.. so I look around for communications options with ArenaNet to get this problem fixed. No phone numbers for support....?? WOW. Yep its true they don’t take calls. Cant get to the forums with no PW now can I? The only thing I could do was Email their support team and hope for the best.

Eight hours later and still no reply from "support", I get desperate and start looking around again for options. Going through my initial emails when I purchased the game, I came accross a link to verify my email and setup the account. I was actually able to use this to reset my password and get the game started again... this time... for good!!

NOPE.

Two days later, someone from "support" sends me an email stating they had reset my password. Guess they didn’t check to see if my account was active. OK, no problem, Ill just reset it again using the link they provided and all will be well.. YAY.

NOPE.

After resetting my password for the FOURTH time, the next day I cant logon again. Checked my email to see if something had happened, and nothing. Sent in another email to "support" and this time, no replies at all. Nothing for 3 days. Finally, I get an email from "support" on the end of the 3rd day, Im thinking this will be another reset link so I can get going again and play the game I paid for.

NOPE.

What I get instead, is a form letter about "Duplicate Ticket Notifications". Apparently, my 2 emails had resulted in several tickets about the same issue. Well excuse me, if my attempts to communicate using the ONLY options available to me resulted in duplicate tickets. For one thing, I had assumed that the first ticket had been closed after I had reset my password using the email link. But even if so, why the hell dont they have someone checking accounts when emails go through before they open up a new ticket? Either way, I still didnt have a staff member response to my dilemma, only a mass form letter.

(Oh, on the instructions included with the form letter, I should be using their "support" page to update my tickets. Kinda hard to do that when I have no password for that either. All attempts to have a password reset for that particular area result in nothing as well, no emails.)

So I go to the forums and start reading. I was amazed at how many people had similar issues. The forums are FILLED with them. The forum admin, Gaile, stated on an offical page that support issues should be handled within 3 to 5 days...

3 to 5 days huh? Ive been waiting A WEEK now JUST to get a response from a living person. On a problem that was NO fault of my own, other then I felt I should reset my password to one more secure according to this companies articles. I can sympathize with the poor bastards on the forums (which I still cant post in) that have been waiting just as long, with absolutely NO communications or concerns from ArenaNet for their customer base, that have paid good money for this service.

Today I found out that my GW1 account had been "linked" to my GW2 account, which, oh goodie, means I cant play that game either.

To sum this all up, my advise would be to stay the hell away from this company. The game itself isnt all the hype, especially when you cant even play it.....

Comments

• blkwltz19blkwltz19 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    TL;DR
  • nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272

You pasted the same message twice.

Customer support is slow? Not surprising seeing as how successful the game is. 

But oh well, lack of customer support isn't enough of an issue to keep me away from Guild Wars 1/2. 

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

You're probably some WoW nut just making stuff up /*sorry couldn't resist*

Looks to me like shoddy website design/programming. The fact they don't have enough support staff stems from the fact the game is B2P - you should've expected that, they weren't really hiding it (I believe they stated they're keeping support minimal).

What you pay for is what you get, I guess, as with everything in life. Can't wait til B2P takes over, yay ...

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

this story made me LOL so hard that my sides hurt  :)

it was even funnier the 2nd time through... since it was copied twice in the OP.

i feel sorry for the OP, but this was hilarious!

i hope he gets it worked out... i will pray 4 him.

<3

sz

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Give the cut and paste job, i wonder how many forums this was plastered on...  lol...

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Something is wrong because I've never had an account stolen and one month in someone hacked me.  I think it's stupid to have your account name be your email.  That is one known quantity, making the second much easier to obtain.  But I'm no cryptographer.  All I know is I have never had an account hacked before until now.  Luckily I got it back though, but my ingamame bank and gold was gone.  I made it back though...

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Im 25km away from anet, is it enough?

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• RadakillRadakill Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by thanoskkk
    Im 25km away from anet, is it enough?

No

• RadakillRadakill Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by nsignific

You're probably some WoW nut just making stuff up /*sorry couldn't resist*

Looks to me like shoddy website design/programming. The fact they don't have enough support staff stems from the fact the game is B2P - you should've expected that, they weren't really hiding it (I believe they stated they're keeping support minimal).

What you pay for is what you get, I guess, as with everything in life. Can't wait til B2P takes over, yay ...

The forum admin, Gaile, stated on an offical page that support issues should be handled within 3 to 5 days...

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

The game itself isnt all the hype, especially when you cant even play it.....

I agree on that, so much hype for a mediocre game, with just a different quest system. "Dynamic" Events are a bad joke and also repeatable, at all the areas of the game.

The PvP is another story... sPvP has only 1 fast game mode(capture bases) that makes it boring really fast.

WvW huge queues suck.

The only thing i enjoy is the music and the environments and i give them 5/5.

I can't believe the hype got me again... The same thing happend to me with Aion,Rift,WAR and  so on :(

Originally posted by Terranah

Something is wrong because I've never had an account stolen and one month in someone hacked me.  I think it's stupid to have your account name be your email.  That is one known quantity, making the second much easier to obtain.  But I'm no cryptographer.  All I know is I have never had an account hacked before until now.  Luckily I got it back though, but my ingamame bank and gold was gone.  I made it back though...

I would 100% agree with this!  Why the hell are companies doing this?  Half of the puzzle is figured out with this system!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Terranah

Players complained about email being account name is stupid even during hey days of GW1. But Anet is stubborn and doesn't care.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

I agree on that, so much hype for a mediocre game, with just a different quest system. "Dynamic" Events are a bad joke and also repeatable, at all the areas of the game.

The PvP is another story... sPvP has only 1 fast game mode(capture bases) that makes it boring really fast.

WvW huge queues suck.

I can't believe the hype got me again... The same thing happend to me with Aion,Rift,WAR and  so on :(

add SWTOR and we are on the same path :)

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by papardelios

WvW huge queues suck.

I'm downloading SWTOR now for the free trial. I guess after that, my final hope for the mmos will be the Sandbox types only!

WvW huge queues suck.

I'm downloading SWTOR now for the free trial. I guess after that, my final hope for the mmos will be the Sandbox types only!

I hate to say, i dont think SWTOR will help you much..

George Washington

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

In other news, countless others are playing without incident and loving it.

Reign it in a bit next time, it'll help sell the mudslinging in  future trolling attempts.

• GerrigGerrig Member Posts: 30

Can only say this about ArenaNet and their support. Bought the game pre-launch, but experienced problems with my computer, couldnt run it (beta weekend tests), and couldnt afford a new computer. Digital copy was also non refundable. So toke a chanse, wrote them, 2-3 days before game launch and asked for a refund anyway, since it was 75 euro or something like that. Before the game was launched my money was back on my account and I got an email about the game key being disabled.

So as far as I am concerned, ArenaNet is the best in the world at handling customers.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Valkaern

Reign it in a bit next time, it'll help sell the mudslinging in  future trolling attempts.

Yep. Pre-purchased, been playing since 1st beta weekend, havent had a single account issue or half of the other issues people talk about having including extensive WvW queues. Same for my brother and a RL friend.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Valkaern

Yup, this.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I wish I caught this when it was pasted twice. Would have provided some additional laughs, not that reading it once wasn't lacking them!  image

Originally posted by adderVXI

WvW huge queues suck.

I hate to say, i dont think SWTOR will help you much..

Haha so true :)

• xLionxLion Member UncommonPosts: 4
    And only to remember: there aren't "perfect games"!
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This is more a vent thread than impressions/review. This forum is meant for game reviews and impressions after playing. Locking it.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.