Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monthly updates are smaller and smaller

July update: 6 quests (7 if you count the one removed during beta)

August update month late: 4 quests

September update on time: 2 quests

Not to sound alarmist but anyone notice a trend?

Im thinking two quests a month is going to be the norm. It is sad as 2 quests literally takes a max of one hour to do. Im a lifetimer (thankfully?) so I dont have to worry about a sub, but if I did pay a sub Id have unsubbbed on the lack of developed content per month. Is is too much to expect them to make one quest a week for  a total of 4 every month?

Comments

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69

Im thinking two quests a month is going to be the norm. It is sad as 2 quests literally takes a max of one hour to do. Im a lifetimer (thankfully?) so I dont have to worry about a sub, but if I did pay a sub Id have unsubbbed on the lack of developed content per month. Is is too much to expect them to make one quest a week for  a total of 4 every month?

Well, first of all -  Update 1.3: 'The Cat God' contains a lot more than just two quests.  For a more accurate list of what this update contains, here's the actual link to it:  http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/update_notes_issue_3_the_cat_god_game_update_1_3

Secondly, as a 'lifetimer', it's true you really don't have anything to worry about... which doesn't match your posting history.  Hmmm... anyway, it's also been revealed that additional content from update 1.3 is already in place but not 'turned on' yet... apparently they have something big building up toward Halloween... but then, as a 'lifetimer' you'd know that already, right?

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by GR3NDEL

Well, first of all -  Update 1.3: 'The Cat God' contains a lot more than just two quests.  For a more accurate list of what this update contains, here's the actual link to it:  http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/update_notes_issue_3_the_cat_god_game_update_1_3

Secondly, as a 'lifetimer', it's true you really don't have anything to worry about... which doesn't match your posting history.  Hmmm... anyway, it's also been revealed that additional content from update 1.3 is already in place but not 'turned on' yet... apparently they have something big building up toward Halloween... but then, as a 'lifetimer' you'd know that already, right?

A halloween event that lasts only two weeks to possibly never be seen again is not new content sorry to break those rose tinted lenses.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

A halloween event that lasts only two weeks to possibly never be seen again is not new content sorry to break those rose tinted lenses.

Oh don't worry your 'lifetimer' head about that... my rose-tinted lenses have taken far worse abuse than you and they're just fine.... and having a grand time playing TSW.

Way to ignore what I posted to directly attack me. A halloween event is not content in the typical sense. Will new players be able to run it in december? Nope. So its not content. So we got 2 quests for a monthly update.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Way to ignore what I posted to directly attack me. A halloween event is not content in the typical sense. Will new players be able to run it in december? Nope. So its not content. So we got 2 quests for a monthly update.

I guess it didn't take any resources to create then, since it's not content?

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Well, the guy has a point, somewhat. Your account is barely a day old and all your posts are about TSW and like over 95% negative about TSW and trying to bash the game. That does give an impression that reminds of other posters who created an alias account, merely to troll bash a game they despised under a different name than their main. Not saying that this is the case now, just that it had that vibe.

As for the monthly updates. Well, the 2nd update launched barely a week earlier. My guess is that a number of the changes that were finished in the 3 weeks delay were included in that 2nd monthly update. But I guess we'll see next month how big the monthly update will be.
  • CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

The games been out 3 months and had 3 updates.  The 2nd was the largest, so no , you're wrong.  Patches aren't just measured y quests added.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

Was'nt there a lot of layoff's at Funcom lately, and an update to AoC too, might explain the slight decline.

And how long does it take to complete these quests? 6 quests dont sound like much in an MMO.

I only tried the starter area quests in the beta, and those did not take very long.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by smh_alot

Well, the guy has a point, somewhat. Your account is barely a day old and all your posts are about TSW and like over 95% negative about TSW and trying to bash the game. That does give an impression that reminds of other posters who created an alias account, merely to troll bash a game they despised under a different name than their main. Not saying that this is the case now, just that it had that vibe.

As for the monthly updates. Well, the 2nd update launched barely a week earlier. My guess is that a number of the changes that were finished in the 3 weeks delay were included in that 2nd monthly update. But I guess we'll see next month how big the monthly update will be.

Some people....

The games been out 3 months, pretty dam awesome game it is too.  Funcom delivered 3 updates in a hard situation, contentready togo for Halloween aswell - and some people are STILL moaning.  F Me.

TSW is solid.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I find this interesting, first the OP says monthly updates are smaller and smaller, but then only consentrates on one aspect of the update; Quests. Nice cherry picking!

Obvously this update was about the holiday event. TSW has many horror aspects, so having a halloween event is important.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I disagree that the updates are getting smaller.

If you count by mission, they are smaller... but you have to take into account that missions was basically all the first update added, while the second one added lots of other stuff. The second update not only added the missions, it also added the barber shop, plastic surgeon, an extra weapon with corresponding active and passive abilities (and mission to get it), and the third one, while it does feel smaller, we won't be able to say for sure until we see the scope of the halloween event (that, IMHO does count as content).

Plus we do know that for a future update (planned for october) there'll be a new raid added, plus another one(s) planned for early next year that will add complete new zones.

I'm sure that we'll see some bigger and some smaller updates... but so far I don't agree that they're getting smaller at all.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

You seem to jump to the defence of this game, but often utilise that opportunity to cast aspirations on people's intent and character.  From what I can gather OP is stating they don't view the monthly content as being sufficient.  I can see the point.   An event is not content, an event is an event.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

I think anyone with any common sense kinda know's that issue 3 was more a filler to get themselves back on schedule than a full blown content release.

I'm sure the OP would have complained if they had released nothing at all :p

Overall game content, apart from cosmetic fluff, is measured in gameplay hours.  Somebody should be able to put a figure to the average amount of gameplay that has been added each month.  You could have less quests but overall that same amount of gameplay content each month.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Agreed, claims to be a lifeer and yet all comments are troll comments LOL

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I'm a Grand Master owner myself, and I've played TSW every day for since it went live.

The game is actually quiet solid overall, but has lot's of issues that need to be fixed first, before they pour in new content, just to keep true to their announced monthly content-packages.

The nightmare-dungeons introduced with 1.1 and 1.2 are only a re-hash of the former existing elite-dungeons, so I wouldn't call these new content actually.
    And the few quests they're offering with their updates are most of the time doable only once, so they offer very llittle actually.

The updated lairs are interesting aslong as you've killed every one of the 9 lair-bosses and the three area-bosses.
    The quests there are only interesting for those who'Ve not allready finished 100% of the skillwheel, just as any other repeatable quests.

Currently there's nothing to do besides farming bullions in nightmares until you've got your 1870 bullions needed for a full set of 10.4/10.4, and then you grind your way through either lairs or elite-areas to get your epic glyphs.

Funcom needs to focus more on fixing their game instead of releasing new quests and updated dungeons.

Currently 3 out of 7 nightmare-dungeons are broken, and one of them got disabled completely. The gear-manager is still not working as intended, and they still haven't managed to fix it. Funnily enough a user created an AddOn month ago allready to fix it ^^

What Funcom need to do is to release more endgame-content, and we're waiting for the first raid, that's supposed to come by the end of October. But I doubt that this'll be enough to keep the players entertained for longer then a month and I don't see them releasing new dungeons or raids within this year.
    There needs aswell to be way more PvP-content, as the warzones are a real letdown. A ranked arena-system sould be very welcome by alot of players.

Funcom should've gone the more traditional route of larger content-patches every few month and fixing the game inbetween instead of making these little addons every month that break the game constantly.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

This game has a "life-support" developmen team at this point.  I LOVE TSW, and I shake my head everytime I see the icon on my desktop because it should have been so much more than just another themepark.  Had they taken this game more in the direction of a hybrid with emergent gameplay, better crafting and better social features, they could have killed it even as a medium sized niche game.

The world is beautiful, and the content that is there is fun, but once that is gone and you get tired of chasing gear by grinding, you will probably move on.

What a shame.  Their only real course of action is F2P, but that's only going to add a little life.  They don't have a team to make big changes or large updates.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by fallenlords

You seem to jump to the defence of this game, but often utilise that opportunity to cast aspirations on people's intent and character.  From what I can gather OP is stating they don't view the monthly content as being sufficient.  I can see the point.   An event is not content, an event is an event.

Well then, according to your logic, GW2 doesn't have very much content because it has a bunch of events.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by fallenlords

Secondly, as a 'lifetimer', it's true you really don't have anything to worry about... which doesn't match your posting history. Hmmm... anyway, it's also been revealed that additional content from update 1.3 is already in place but not 'turned on' yet... apparently they have something big building up toward Halloween... but then, as a 'lifetimer' you'd know that already, right?

You seem to jump to the defence of this game, but often utilise that opportunity to cast aspirations on people's intent and character. From what I can gather OP is stating they don't view the monthly content as being sufficient. I can see the point. An event is not content, an event is an event.

Heh. Well, since you already openly and honestly admitted (for which my respect btw) that nothing would make you happier than see Funcom cease to exist and that all your posts and actions would be in the line of supporting that goal, I can't say that I'm really surprised that that's what you thought. :-)

However, my post was both a reply on the OP's reply where he questioned why another poster responded upon his post(s) like that as well as a comment on the issues in the OP, as the quoted posts show.

Don't really see anything wrong with that.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    This issue was small so Funcom could save face and stay on schedule.
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

[mod edit]

Game is really good...the story is great.  I feel for those that got to endgame and are only doing nightmares for bullions, but I'd remind them that the game is only a few months old and a new MMO typically does not have endless amounts of end-game content.  Give it time, the game will grow, especially now that the lead guy is the same person that lead the development on Rise of the Godslayer.  Don't worry, the sky is NOT falling.  TSW will live on...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

They laid off tons of employees.  The first thing to get cut is the amount of content per update. Pretty soon you should expect longer delays between each update.  Something has to give when you let go of so many people.

Falling back on their promises can be tolerated if the company at least states why they are doing so, in this case low sales/subscribers and mass layoffs.  companies like Turbine chose to just fall back on promises and have NO comments on why.  That's the worst way to handle it as the players can't trust you anymore..

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    How would mmo devs put out monthly content? Maybe plan ahead, people seem to forget 7 years worth of content has already been planned, 10 years worth of research is going into the game as well. Why do people disreguard that fact, a monthly content schedule is something that can't be achieved on the fly.
    Originally posted by MagikrorriM
    How would mmo devs put out monthly content? Maybe plan ahead, people seem to forget 7 years worth of content has already been planned, 10 years worth of research is going into the game as well. Why do people disreguard that fact, a monthly content schedule is something that can't be achieved on the fly.

Because its what was sold to us. Funcom should be held  to its promses even if it causes  them to fold

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Well then, according to your logic, GW2 doesn't have very much content because it has a bunch of events.

Events aren't content and it wouldn't surprise me if GW2 hasn't got that much actual content.  Events are based about voluntary participation and when an event is over it's done/gone.   Content is part of the game and is there forever.   But in the case of Funcom they very rarely run events of any nature, so the infrequency of the actual events disconnects them from the game as a whole.   They make very little effort to engage users in their own game, unlike Guild Wars 2 and other MMO's which make a habit of hosting events in order to foster interest and participation in the game itself.