Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

X-com is back guys!

bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

New X-com is back (XCOM: Enemy Unknown), I think I will pre order it not sure, but launch is Oct. 9th. Anyone going to play it? X-com UFO Defense still has me wanting more after playing it back in 1998, hope this one turns out nice.

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Already ordered it.

Even though the Demo is pretty limited (As in: It holds your hand in every mission), the gameplay videos prove that there's a lot more to come.

I can't wait.

• It certainly looks very promising. You can download the demo which contains the tutorial missions on the easiest difficulty from Steam. If you preorder on Steam you can also get Civilization 5 at no extra cost.

Preordered a while back from my retailer before it came on Steam (also got Civ5 already anyhow).

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Is it still turn-based? If so then no, time for turn-based games is over.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

The demo is on Steam. Check it out. It is very much still a base building turn based squad combat game but it has been "Modernized" in more ways than just flashier graphics. The biggest thing is the individual squaddie inventory has been replaced with a class based skill system. Every squad member has a class now and skills that are associated with it that are unlocked through research. Some people love it and some people hate it. I for one will miss the inventory as it allowed you a very minute level of control over how your squad was equiped and their capabilities. The differences between the old X-Com and the new system are kinda like the difference between Pre-CU SWG and Post-NGE SWG. It's the best comparison I can think of.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• On the other hand it seems pretty cool they've added a lot of depth to character progression and combat through classes/perks and through a cover/flanking system. The question is if the added depth makes up for the streamlining. We'll know in a few weeks :)
  • And yeah it's still turn-based.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Yamota

What? I never got that memo! When was this declared?

• Originally posted by Psychow

Someone should definitely inform Firaxis so they can stop having incessant commercial successes with their titles.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Psychow

If anything, we need more Turn-based.

That is all.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Yeah also making another XCOM that looks like its a first person shooter; takes places what looks like its in the 1950's

http://www.1up.com/previews/e3-xcom-preview

• Originally posted by Matticus75

Yeah also making another XCOM that looks like its a first person shooter; takes places what looks like its in the 1950's

Ugh. Don't remind me.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Matticus75

I heard the time for FPS games was over.... image

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

I was so happy back when I heard that they would make a turn-based reboot, instead of all the other horrible FPS ideas.

Watched the gameplay video taking place at the gas station a while back, but didn't know when they planned to release it, so it kinda drifted outta my mind again.

So thanks for bringing it up! :) Had no idea there was a demo out, and even tho it is pretty short ( 1 fully assisted mission and 1 free-form mission ), I'm pretty sure I'll spend a lot of time with it when it is released.

Can't justify 50 euros for it right now, alltho the free copy of Civ V could tempt me in a weak moment... probably they day before release. I can't wait to play now :D

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

I dont agree, i still like turn-based games.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

It looks good. Strayed a bit from the originals as far as mechanics go, but that might not necessarily be a bad thing.

I'll wait a week just to make sure it sounds like people are enjoying it, if so, i'll definently get it.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Matticus75

doesnt look promising (the fps one)

i know them both from here

http://www.2kgames.com/#/games/

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Originally posted by Axxar

It certainly looks very promising. You can download the demo which contains the tutorial missions on the easiest difficulty from Steam. If you preorder on Steam you can also get Civilization 5 at no extra cost.

Preordered a while back from my retailer before it came on Steam (also got Civ5 already anyhow).

If you go to where the demo is installed and find the EngineConfig directory, look for the file "BaseGame.ini." Open it and change "GameDifficulty=+0.0" to +1.0 (Normal), +2.0 (Classic) or +3.0 (Impossible).

I'm been having a few run throughs on Classic. Impossible kicked my ass first time through, though. I did beat it on second try ^^

In case you decide to do this (at least if you go to Classic or above), word of caution: The last group of aliens in the demo are immensely accurate. Don't try to trade shots with them and expect to live. You best flank those bastards.

And on an additional note, people have been modding the shit out of the demo. There's even been a full fledged demo editor created on the 2k forums. They've also found a few hidden options in the ini files, though not sure if they'll truly have any affect in retail.

If Firaxis keeps the structure as is for release, the game is going to be pretty moddable through ini altering. Which is most definitely great news =)

• No way man. I'm not going to tease myself further :)
  • JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

not likely. turn based is simply one way to play games, and that is not going to change. ever.

• SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Looks like there is no Research feature in this one which was my fav thing with the Xcom serie image
  • Originally posted by Sirca
    Looks like there is no Research feature in this one which was my fav thing with the Xcom serie image

There's a research tree just like in the original. You can research alien artifacts, perform alien autopsies and interrogate aliens if you capture them alive.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

Did you play the demo? There is research.

According to the info out there, all research matters, as opposed to the original were only armor, weapons and psi mattered. The rest was fluff ( except for Martian Solution ).

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    For more turn based goodness be sure to check into the new Jagged Alliance Back in Action. They've also got another newer instance but I don't know its name.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Played the demo on steam and really liked it although I haven't played any of the other games in the series. I think I'm gonna get this one.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Huh, go figure, I actually agree with you for once.  Maybe the game is still fun though...