Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The boring truth and the hype trainwreck that is GW2

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Louaki
    Either that or he's on the wrong server, like that one with all the 4chan lot on it.

What server you play on makes a huge difference. When I first bought the game I joined blacktide and thought huh why is no one talking, then I found out it was mostly Polish server with a few Russians, so of course no one understood me. Now on the mixed UK / Greek / dutch server underworld and much happier.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    To add to that. Arenanet really really should have launched with named Russian, Spanish, Italian and polish servers. I know they added the Spanish one later. I really don't get why just about all mmo games launch with only English, French & German clients. Especially with Russian,there's probably more Russian speaking gamers than French or German, its a bigger country, and lots of other former members of the ussr also speak Russian as second language.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time. 

Hard to look at things objectively when you go in with a negative mindset.

sorry, but no, not true.  Recently, very recently, I've given honest opinions about the game in other topics, and I've honestly kept it rather mild.  There's no reaspon why my review would look any better.

I played for almost a month with my mouth shut. 

Do you know your post count is (as the moment i reply to you) : 1337

( 1337 = LEET in "leet talk" ;) )

Anyway.

Cool , you played the game for a month. Enjoyed it a bit. got bored. Moved on.

What else can you ask from one time 50$ game ?

Would you say the game was not worth it ? Compared to let say any other game for 50$ and no subscription.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    wrong  - best game ever. flawless.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Psychow

Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time. 

Couldn't you say the same thing about a review from a rabid fanboi? And it doesn't look like he's being a hater, just making personal observations and opinions.

Read the title of the thread.

Then read the OP.

Was there anything constructive or that suggested a better alternative? Was the tone critical, yet respectful?

When you go into a game's forum and lead with a title that says "boring" and "hype trainwreck"...I think you are a hater.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• laxika91laxika91 Member Posts: 50

Congrats, you made me login after like 2 month of incativity.

WvW is one of the best aspects of GW2, I really love it. You CAN siege a fortress even with a small group, if you have rams. Playing it with a guild is fun. And customization is absolutely good, I never ever saw a simillar character like me (Saw only one Asura who had the armor I use, but I was red/white and he was full black with red edges.). And well, you just can't buy the best dye after 2 days? Thats a serious problem /sarcasm.

Also you can create super glass cannons, just pick a ranger, and go for lvl 80, get a precision/power gear, thats it. Or do this with a warrior.

Ohh well, I see your point anyways. Some people like this game, and someone like other ones. I bought D3, played like 3 hours and I was like "WTF is this shi...", while I was an absolute fan of D2. (Even playing it sometimes on BNet nowadays.) I waited 8 years for D3, bought it, and found out its a crap. I was devastated too. So, it would be better if you just go back and play D3, and let others play GW2.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Haha read on the first page that you played for almost a month, must of been pretty good then :D

Game Will officially be out a month tomorrow.

He really didn't understand the mechanics or anything ab out the lore of the game. This review was written by a person who sees WoW as his holy grail of gaming. Very short-sighted review.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Haha read on the first page that you played for almost a month, must of been pretty good then :D

Game Will officially be out a month tomorrow.

He really didn't understand the mechanics or anything ab out the lore of the game. This review was written by a person who sees WoW as his holy grail of gaming. Very short-sighted review.

Yup, I agree. WOW should never be used as a measurement of the quality of any game. It was made for a very young audience. WOW makes League of legends look realistic.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by Connmacart Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time.  Hard to look at things objectively when you go in with a negative mindset.

And it doesn't look like he's being a hater, just making personal observations and opinions.

Personal observations and opinions?

He's passing off his opinion as a fact.

Where?!?!?When?!?!?! What in a game review implies he is pushing his opinion as a fact?!?!?!?

A review by definition is ones opinion of a game and I thought he did a decent job of being fair about it he doesn't seem to take an all or nothing stance on anything and ironically one of the lowest scores is for the community some of the same people here reaching with comments like yours to debunk anything that suggests this game is anything other than good for the person posting about it.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Update:  Community: 2

Just look at how quickly and without provocation the replies become personal.  I'm a tool, I'm playing it wrong, etc.  Good stuff.  Also forgot to note how unsociable the game is, though there's so many topics about this in this forum and in the General one, that it pretty much goes without saying.

Gameplay and Combat: 6.0

Let's rewind to a few months before release.  I didn't have access to BWE.  I could watch videos, which don't really tell you much about certain aspects of an mmo, character creation, customization, skill choices, etc.  No one was really talking about how combat worked outside of wild claims of how much skill it took to move your character away from attacks and hit the dodge button.

I was honestly a little intimidated.  I look back at those feelings now and laugh.  Having come from DC Universe, I can tell you that game's movement and attacks are both more varied and involve ten times as much skill as that of GW2.  I know because I never mastered it in DCUO, but I was good enough that I could see how others were able to counter all my common block breaking and stunlock tricks.  Truly impressive gameplay there, but too high level for a casual non-tekkenish player like myself. 

Guild wars 2 on the other hand took all of an hour or so, and only because when you first start out you don't have access to all the skills available on the weapon you equip.  But afterwards, you learn a flow, and moving is easy, dodging even easier (especially for me, who set it to the spacebar.)

Outside of endurance for dodge (you get 2 dodges per full bar whooopeee), there's no resource management.  There's no mana, no rage, no energy, etc.  Necromancers almost get what would be considered a resource to gather and spend, but I didn't spend enough time with them to say much about it, except it was very simplistic.  Instead, I was a ranger.   Considered by many a powerful choice, I do not disagree.   Oddly though, my pet was more powerful than me.  I didn't test much without trait points allocated, but with 20 into pet attributes, it consistently outdamaged me, and could take more punishment, and regened life faster.    I was hoping to have a powerful sniper, but instead I was a beastmaster. 

That's the thing, there's no real glass cannons, there's no powerful snipers, there's no stealth class.   There's no tanks, there's no healers.  The classes are very similar in functionality, and the differences are mostly skin deep aesthetics.  DPS, dodge, use your heal skill, etc  You'll hear a lot about these magical things called combo fields.  Mostly impractically and usually ineffective, they can sometimes help your group.  I have yet to see the miracle in person though.  As if combo fields and dodging can replace resource management, healing, and agro management.  Pure hubris on the part of the devs.

Character development and customization: 6.0

You can dye your armor.  Just saying that makes me excited.  Unfortunately, GW2 seems to suck the life right out of it by restricting dyes and making any good ones cost prohibitive until you get up in levels.  Even at 43 I cannot afford a black dye, let alone the truly black abyss dye.    There's also not that many different styles of armor, and if you want to keep one style you need to use a rare consumable to transfer the look.   Strange to bring it up again, but in DCUO you colored pieces how you wanted and once you unlocked a certain style you could use it freely.   Perhaps that system is too lax, but somewhere in between these two systems surely there's perfection. 

On the development front, 50% of what your character can do is a simple matter of equiping a weapon.  Honestly the system is borderline bizarre.  No choices at all, really?  Then the other half of your skillbar are skills you can unlock, there's a lot of choice here, but as a ranger, most the abilities were so lackluster that it hardly mattered.  The heal was of obvious importance, but the utilities were crap.  I went with the passives after trying most of them. 

Then there's traits.  Magical in the same way combo fields are, I believe that they do change how your character performs in various areas, but there's no active abilities gleaned from traits.  Instead, you spend points wherever it will most increase your damage, as most consider toughness/healing power/vit pointless to up with trait points.  

Overall, as someone who came from Diablo 3 very recently, I was already tired of the lack of stat points, skill trees, etc, and GW2 was even more restrictive. 

Crafting: 4.0

In the beginning of the game I may have given this a 9, but as I continued to craft, but came up short on ingredients I needed, having to buy them off the trading post for more than I could really afford, I don't like it.  Not only do you already devote time to the endeavor, and despite what anyone says, it doesn't award that much xp/hour, you then lose money instead of gaining it, and outside of early levels, it's unlikely you'll keep up enough to provide yourself upgrades or make any sort of profit.  Isn't that the point of crafting?  What do mmo devs not understand about this?

WvW:  3.0

I'd like to hear from some old school DAoC (original frontiers, not new frontiers) players who liked it's RvR and how they feel WvW compares.  To me it's pretty crappy.  It's simplistic, and at the same time requires several players to get even the smallest task complete, and usually you need siege if you don't want it to take an hour.  It's a bad cumbersome unfun system.  Before the game was released, people made wild claims about WvW.  They said that everyone was on equal footing in terms of character power, no matter what their level, and they said it was the fastest way to level.  Neither claim is even in the ballpark of reality. 

Leveling is slow, you'll die a lot, you'll spend a lot on repair costs, and you'll spend a lot of time just running hoping to find a fight you can get some xp out of before you die again.  And level 80s have many more trait points and much better gear that directly effects the damage they can give and take, and they will beat you up and take your lunchmoney, and if they don't then they suck and have bad gear, probably from leveling all the way up in WvW.   It's not fair at all to lower level players, who don't get their own zones.  Instead of having 4 different WvW zones where one is busy and 3 are not, all at level 80, they could have had Eternal at 80, and one at 30 for a cap, 50, and 65 or 70. 

I didn't do sPvP, I don't care about capture the flag or whatever it is they do in there.  I like war, like in WoW early days at tarren mill/southshore, or DAoC old frontiers, or even in warhammer online. 

In truth there's no war here.  No factions, no world pvp.  Just a cumbersome war game outside the reality of the rest of the game.  It's just another immersion breaker, and makes you wonder, what's the point?

PvE:  7.0

It's actually not bad at first.  Just running out and doing some stuff without collecting a novel full of quests.  I always thought the way oldschool WoW did it was a bit obnoxious.  I prefer a handful of quests that chain together to make a story or drama, of which I am not the star, but an important player.  GW2 doesn't offer that.   And after a while, DE's seem all the same, boss encounters seem all the same.  spam spam spam that attack, done.   Hearts and collecting vistas and POIs and waypoints is not a replacement for questing.  It just doesn't fill the gap that's left from not having any sort of meaningful quest system.  And it gets old fast.   Not only that, but DEs are so dumbed down and simplistic, and you are never awarded loot.  In general loot is very boring even when you find an upgrade.

I only played one dungeon.  It was a chaotic yet boring spamfest, with cutscenes that only I actually watched while the rest of my group left me behind.    In general it wasn't fun.

Aesthetics: 9.0

I don't care for the style, especially of mobiles, but the scenery is nice and the graphics quality is clearly impressive.

Overall,:not good.  You can do the math yourself.

I spent 300 bucks upgrading to an i5 to play this game at better than a slideshow.  I'm not just some guy who plopped the game in and played for 5 minutes without anything invested into it.  What irks me the most is how hyped up the game was by people making wild claims that were simply untrue after playing BWEs.  Claims about world vs world, and how awesome combat was seem so out of this world.

I only now review it, as I think I'm ready to move on.  For the past week I've been trying very hard to log in and have fun, and it's just too boring.  With borderlands 2, TL2, and D3 1.05 looming, I don't see why I should waste anymore time.  Otherwise I would have gotten to 80 before writing a review. 

On a final note, doing things differently does not warrant the title revolutionary if the change is bad, and most of the divergence of GW2's systems from the mold are downgrades.   Kudos to the devs for trying, but whoever came up with the replacement systems for the trinity, dungeons, questing, and pvp simply did a bad job.

Yea, I very much agree...no bs, for me that game was the worst gave i've played years.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92

in 2hrs of WvW I went from lvl 48-55, with a team of 3 and not going near any zergs.

I died once during the time, we took supply bas's did all the DE on the map for getting npc to help and such.

We did flags, we did everything but take a fort.

So I know you must suck in WvW if that was your experence of it.

The rest of what you said was more of a personal opinion.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I can't take your review as a non bias review simply because the whole thing reads like a rant.

You claim to have given the game a fair shot but outside of the aesthetics there are so few positive points offered. No one would take this as less than a broken up bullet point rant where the bullet points are replaced with scores.

I enjoy the game a great deal. I can find fault in some aspects of the game but I can live with those issues for now.

GW2 is not the greatest game ever created, but it certainly is not the worst either.

Love it or leave it; I don't care, but please stop doing reviews if you are unable to avoid making it into a rant.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by raistlinm
    Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by Connmacart Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time.  Hard to look at things objectively when you go in with a negative mindset.

And it doesn't look like he's being a hater, just making personal observations and opinions.

Personal observations and opinions?

He's passing off his opinion as a fact.

Where?!?!?When?!?!?! What in a game review implies he is pushing his opinion as a fact?!?!?!?

A review by definition is ones opinion of a game and I thought he did a decent job of being fair about it he doesn't seem to take an all or nothing stance on anything and ironically one of the lowest scores is for the community some of the same people here reaching with comments like yours to debunk anything that suggests this game is anything other than good for the person posting about it.

Well since you asked... these are some examples of the things he tried to pass of as fact even though they were completely wrong lol... 

Outside of endurance for dodge (you get 2 dodges per full bar whooopeee), there's no resource management. Incorrect yet he tried to claim it as fact. 

That's the thing, there's no real glass cannons, there's no powerful snipers, there's no stealth class. Incorrect yet he tried to pass it off as fact.

There's also not that many different styles of armor. Incorrect yet he tried to pass it off as fact. 

He gives a review and uses these incorrect "facts" to back up why he feels the way he does. This "review" isn't close to being a review lol, it's an attempt to spread misinformation about the game and pass it off as a review. 

Then you have things like "I put all my trait points in my pet line and can't figure out why my pet does more damage than me" . 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Some of the criticism is valid but both the title of the thread and the overly harsh numerical scores (as compared to what? Numbers are meaningless anyway unless you tell us what you consider a 9 and a 1) the OP chose to give each category are just attention getting devices.

... and I was there at the very beginning of DAoC and RvRed like crazy (Guinevere, Albion.) The mechanics, gameplay and diversity provided in GW2 WvW are much, much better than what DAoC provided. But that's both a good and a bad thing. It's good because of the many choices we have, but...

In DAoC we all participated in well organized massive events because the RvR choices were limited. Here, so far, there's a scattered feeling to WvW simply because there are 4 massive zones each containing a huge amount of content. Large, epic open field battles with some ebb and flow are very rare. The design caters more to a "hit them where they ain't" type of guerilla warfare. Or so it seems at the moment.

But it has only been a month and WvW is stll poluted by a lot of tourists who just want to see what the fuss is all about before they return to the scoreboards that comfort them in SPVP. I'm willing to give it time until it's mostly those who prefer real persistent PvP there, queues are normalized and we get better grouping tools for communication and chains of command, and so forth. 

But still, compared to DAoC early days I'd give a definite nod to GW2 WVW. The 3 the OP gives it is assinine but understandable since he sounds very much like a tourist to me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PanossianPanossian Member Posts: 94
    While I don't agree on all the points, GW2 WvW (whichi s the only reason my guild purchased the game) is very boring after the first week or so ruuning around.  All three areas are just a copy and paste of each other and there is no drive or purpose to even fight over anything. Keeps just flip flop and the zones are small. All WvW is are four Alterac Valleys. Swing and a miss.

Current Game FFXIV (Cactuar)
    Looking for 1 healer for 8 mans.

• TralaneTralane Member UncommonPosts: 2

Hi Everyone.

First, I want to say I've been reading this site for many years and fully respect everyones opinions.I can understand the orginal posters feelings regarding the game design.

I myself love the way the game is setup, It's not perfect by a long shot and theres plenty of room for improvements here and there. but overall the game is a Ton of fun so far.I think the orginal poster is looking for something more hardcore with a lot more detailed controls and many more playstyle options like in most of the games that have come befor it.

I don't kid myself about the game's setup. to me it's designed the be a Super Theampark with some eliments of harder type games put into it.I know for myself some of the personal story line quests are hard as nails to fight tru unless you use a lot of tatical stragity to figure out how best to beat the foes that sometimes seem almost impossible to overcome.

To be honest people don't talk to each other in near combat fights. I see lots of people talking and asking questions in general openworld chat, But all i ever see are "Thanks " after downed players are rezed and the like.I often try to start conversatioins going during and after fights by typing cheers and yells and telling everyone they did a great job during the battle but all I ever get at best in responce in "ya, good fight" and thats it??

I realy wish that social part of the game would change some how.I realy miss that part of playing these games.I've been a hardcore online game player ever since the very first diablo and Asheron's Call games came out and there was always a lot of talking going on between players. The last time I encountered near this type of non- talking in games were within the past 2 years when I was playing (Age of Conan =Almost no ingame talking,) , ( Lineage 2= Almost Total no talking to anyone even in world chat), and lastly (Aion= Also almost no talking to anyone even in world chat).

Aside form the soical part, I realy like the game , it looks great I love the tons of places to explore . I can get used to not having lots of different armor styles and even tho theres no talking I do enjoy how everyone does join together and help help each other during all the combat and event fighting. It does make me feel like I'm fighting alongside a real faction of players even tho theres no talking whatsoever, this is a very strange combination of feeling as tho ones part of a commuity of players that cannot speak or hear almost.

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79

[mod edit]

It's a well designed game with very high production values. I'd place it right after WoW as far as disruptive MMORPGs go from an innovation perspective. There are plently of MMORPG's that could be called a trainwreck, but GW2 is the complete opposite. Even games like SWtOR or TSW aren't trainwrecks, though they greatly underachieved.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    [mod edit]

I'd add to that and say that it's even harder to look at things objectively when you go in with an overly positive mindset.

This is the real issue...people are defending a game that is EXTREMELY cookie cutter and easy, while at the same time developed with perfect laziness.  FFXIV got HORRID reviews because of their copy and past mentality with landscape, but GW2 doesnt get any negative feedback on their copy and paste zone objective scheme?  

If mindless is the direction MMO's are headed in, I think I'll just jump ship

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    For the life of me i can't understand why they didn't create a vast Darkness Falls type dungeon at release.This would of made WvWvW and PVE alot more exciting.It would also compensate for the lack of open world PvP.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    *snip*

I really do like the way the OP claimed to be telling us the truth in the title of thread, when truth be told, all they provide is an opinion, it really made me laugh.

Nothing said in the OP is the truth for anyone but the OP, there is no evidence given to support anything as a fact, it is all just opinion.

Sure, the OP is entitled to an opinion, and sure, they are entitled to voice it on this forum, but at least have the decency to admit that it is only an opinion.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by Kost

This, and don't try to deny it, your posting history tells the true tale.

I'd add to that and say that it's even harder to look at things objectively when you go in with an overly positive mindset.

This is the real issue...people are defending a game that is EXTREMELY cookie cutter and easy, while at the same time developed with perfect laziness.  FFXIV got HORRID reviews because of their copy and past mentality with landscape, but GW2 doesnt get any negative feedback on their copy and paste zone objective scheme?  

If mindless is the direction MMO's are headed in, I think I'll just jump ship

I think at this point, everyone is crossing their fingers hoping ANet will keep to their word. I've heard from multiple people in and out of game (I don't have a link) that ANet said each server will get their own borderlands. Whether this is true or not I don't know. Also whether this means they creat so many maps, and randomly pick each map at the start of each new match-up, I also don't know.

What I do know, is i'm hoping something gets done soon. Because playing carbon copies of maps is booooooring.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259
    Originally posted by Byrhofen
    *snip*

I really do like the way the OP claimed to be telling us the truth in the title of thread, when truth be told, all they provide is an opinion, it really made me laugh.

Nothing said in the OP is the truth for anyone but the OP, there is no evidence given to support anything as a fact, it is all just opinion.

Sure, the OP is entitled to an opinion, and sure, they are entitled to voice it on this forum, but at least have the decency to admit that it is only an opinion.

Yes, it's very misleading.

He should've started every sentence  with "In my opinion..."

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by RexNebular
    Originally posted by Byrhofen
    *snip*

Yes, it's very misleading.

He should've started every sentence  with "In my opinion..."

Or the word boring, since that implies opinion.  Although there's plenty in my review that's factual, whether you want others to know, or want to disbelieve it.  It's okay if what you believe is more aligned with your desires than empirical evidence, I think everyone has the right to live in their own world.  But those of you that are posting that this is ALL opinion, biased, or untrue, are imposing your fictional world on others, and that's something you shouldn't do. 

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am sure I am in the minority, but I played for like an hour during head start and I have not played since then.  I played some in beta also, and I just don't like the characters or feel of the game or something...

I plan on giving it another go sometime, but I  usually play something else when that time comes.....I can't really nail down what it is I dislike, the no trinity, the skills, the swapping weapons stuff....Not sure.

I am sure I will give it another go sometime though.

• AshenTechAshenTech Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Xthos

I am sure I am in the minority, but I played for like an hour during head start and I have not played since then.  I played some in beta also, and I just don't like the characters or feel of the game or something...

I plan on giving it another go sometime, but I  usually play something else when that time comes.....I can't really nail down what it is I dislike, the no trinity, the skills, the swapping weapons stuff....Not sure.

I am sure I will give it another go sometime though.

could also be what made a friend of mine dislike the game without really being able to peg why, the FOV and camara by default SUCK, you either need to use downsampling to play the game at a higher res, or play in a window(squish the game vertically to get more fov) OR use the gw2 camara tool (google it) to get the game to not feel so....wrong.....(or like my buddy, gave him an uneasy feeling and after a while a headake and sick feeling)

that said, once i got the fov worked out, my head stopped hurting and the game became alot more fun....(i didnt get the uneasy feeling or sickness just headake)