Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion spoiled me with its patching and up keep of Rift.

halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

When it comes to support i think Trion still reigns supreme. I remember the speed at which they were rolling out patches (those patch notes seemed never ending once you start reading)  at launch which made Rift a very good and smooth playing experince.

Anet has released total of 5 patches since launch. And one was just a small hotfix. So all in all 4 patches when game is still suffering from many bugs. 

I am leveling my second character now in GW2 and i have encountered more bugs on second play through than i did on the first one.

The reason why i stopped playing my lvl 80 was because horrible state ORR is in. Surprisingly now i am coming across more broken events, SP, hearts in low and mid zones than i did at launch.

I never used to give Trion much credit for their support for game but now i understand the difference. I had similar feeling while playing SWTOR but never thought i would ever be able to confirm it. I thought that maybe it is just Bioware who are slow.

There are over 200 pages on BUG SECTION forums about various bugs.Manye bugs still exist that were present during release.  I think Anet needs to learn a thing or two from Trion about squashing bugs and patching.

Comments

• nycdannycdan Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I joined Rift about 9 months ago as a bridge to the new stuff that was coming out (TSW, GW2).  I'm still on the bridge and the view is pretty darned good.  I absolutely never expected to go past the 6-month mark.  Definite kudos to Trion.
  • MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    I don't think we will ever see a company that burns the midnight oil like Trion. I personally think Rift is number 2 behind GW and wow is third.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

Rift had excellent launch and has excellent support.  i never had any problems in Rift and yet it's pop is low? i wonder why peepz didn't stick with it?

sz

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68

I think part of this can be laid upong general gameplay similarities to it's predecessor. Despite mechanical differences in leveling, and classes... the combat and such itself is basically WoW. People already have WoW, so in the end they'd rather stick with what they're used to.

Rift is a great game, and Trion is a fantastic company but at the end of the day the similarities to WoW are too glaring for many people. Personally I'm excited for Defiance, that I fully plan on playing the crap out of.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Eh, I played a bit of the rift trial and got the worst "game on rails" feeling than any other mmo.  Not to mention the guest hubs, uck. To each there own though. 
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by SaunZ

Rift had excellent launch and has excellent support.  i never had any problems in Rift and yet it's pop is low? i wonder why peepz didn't stick with it?

sz

I played Rift for 9 months and enjoyed my time there especially the soul/role system.. for me the reason I left is at the end it's to similar to all the themeparks before.. basic endgame raiding or grinding out dailys.. warfront tier based gear grind PVP.. just nothing for me to set it apart from others like wow I had played for years before. Storm Legion has some nice ideas though and should bring back lots fo new people.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Anet really need to step it up, they have been focusing on pvp balancing but the DEs are often broken in certain zones, and there is still a lot of polishing needs doing. I may be tempted to wait before lvling my first alt as coming across broken DEs really ruins the mood, they tie everything together so well when working, and there needs to be some changes to crafting fast.
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

sz

I had two problems.  First, once you got past the Random Monster Generators (the Rifts), it was yet-another-WoW-clone.   

Second, the Rifts kept interfering with your other quests all the time.   The rift monsters would zerg out and kill the 10 Womprats or what ever you were supposed to kill and you'd be standing there thinking...   "I really just want to do my quest..."

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

There have been way more than 5 patches. Some were small hotfixes, some were major patches that fixed multiple broken De's and other features. They released several small patches when the trading post was having a fit with the server loads. They released patches to increase server capacity as well as WvW capacity. More than 5 patches i can assure you.

At release I think every time i logged in there was some small patch to download.

Just sayin'...

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Eh, I played a bit of the rift trial and got the worst "game on rails" feeling than any other mmo.  Not to mention the guest hubs, uck. To each there own though. 

I went there after SWTOR.   After SWTOR, a Railroad Simulator MMO would feel flexible.    So, I didn't feel quite as constrained as you seem to have felt.   But I do agree, like most themeparks, there were a lot of rails...

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

its a good mmo ..im still sub to it while playing gw2..and yah trion is by far the best atm..im getting rly burnt out on gw2 cuz of not playing a role and truly doing a real quest ..so i will probly just flip flop back in forth..imho gw2 isnt much of a real mmo sry to say its not like the 1st gw but still just like it in ways its like a single player mmo like the 1st gw ..if that made sence lol + rly getting annoyed with bots everywhere...like another game i once loved before they revamped it was linage2 this game also killed it for me when the bots rolled in ..it was unbearable

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by MosesZD

sz

I had two problems.  First, once you got past the Random Monster Generators (the Rifts), it was yet-another-WoW-clone.   

Second, the Rifts kept interfering with your other quests all the time.   The rift monsters would zerg out and kill the 10 Womprats or what ever you were supposed to kill and you'd be standing there thinking...   "I really just want to do my quest..."

at first the Rifts (DE) were so much fun! (with big groups of people).  but, they weren't any fun after a couple of months when everybody stopped joining in to do them.  i found ways to just get around them if nobody was there to help, and just come back to that area later.

so, as the DE's died is that what made Rift start going down hill?  is that the same thing that will happen to GW2?

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Rift never got me immersed, I started tons of characters there and never made it past 25. The assassin played exactly, like spot-on like my wow rogue, The dps-mage-souls played like the WoW mage...

The whole feel of the game was hand-holding with random events... *trumpet* it's [random demi-god] happy hour, come get your share...

At least to me

M

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Rift held my attention less than 2 weeks. Very boring, linear game design, only one starter area, only one way to max level, no choice, small cramped world, and the ugly , annoying and generic rifts and invasions.

GW2 is still holding my attention after over a month. GW2 wins, easily, without breaking a sweat.

Hell, even SW:TOR held my attention for approx. 5 months and beats Rift. At least SW:TOR had a story, something to experience. Rift has nothing, it's bland, dead, boring as hell.

But to each his own... I just wish the Rift players would post on the Rift forums though.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I applaud their dedication to ther userbase and the frequency with which they come out with patches, but to me it's like changing the pattern on the toilet paper... it can be as pretty as a picture, but I'm only going to wipe my ass on it.

(IE: I didn't like the game much)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

sz

It is not that low judgind from what my colleagues playing it say.  They say that there was time that popualtion dipped very low but that it regained and now it is not bad.  They said of course that there is diffent situation on diffrent servers, but that there are definately servers with healthy popuation.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by fenistil

sz

It is not that low judgind from what my colleagues playing it say.  They say that there was time that popualtion dipped very low but that it regained and now it is not bad.  They said of course that there is diffent situation on diffrent servers, but that there are definately servers with healthy popuation.

+ alot of ppl dont relize when you make a new char. that its wise to pick a populated server..not picking a populated server is kinda silly..never understood why someone wouldnt unless you welcome the challenge of finding groups and like soloing all the time anyways and then in the long run your like..dam!..this game is dead!..but in many cases its the shotty server yur on lol

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by MosesZD

sz

at first the Rifts (DE) were so much fun! (with big groups of people).  but, they weren't any fun after a couple of months when everybody stopped joining in to do them.  i found ways to just get around them if nobody was there to help, and just come back to that area later.

so, as the DE's died is that what made Rift start going down hill?  is that the same thing that will happen to GW2?

Ah you see the problem with rifts in....rift was that they were something secondary that detracted from the rest of the activities of the game. The difference with GW2 is that its DE are integreated in almost every single aspect of the game, even structured pvp. Its not really something you can get around.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I don't know, man. ANet has been pretty zealous with its patching. Every other day something fixed or updated. That's not to say they're nearly done or anything, but I can name a lot of other developers working a lot slower than that.

That said, +1 to Trion (And to ANet). Show the rest how it's done.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Rift held my attention less than 2 weeks. Very boring, linear game design, only one starter area, only one way to max level, no choice, small cramped world, and the ugly , annoying and generic rifts and invasions.

GW2 is still holding my attention after over a month. GW2 wins, easily, without breaking a sweat.

Hell, even SW:TOR held my attention for approx. 5 months and beats Rift. At least SW:TOR had a story, something to experience. Rift has nothing, it's bland, dead, boring as hell.

But to each his own... I just wish the Rift players would post on the Rift forums though.

I am not a RIFT PLAYER. I am just a MMO player sharing my experince with Trion's amazing support for its game, especially when it was just a rookie company and Anet have had experince with GW and its expansions. I just expected more on hands approach by Anet instead of one patch a week.

My topic was never about which game is better but which company is better in regards of updates and fixes. And since it is hard to refute that fact, why not just derail the original point and turn it into which MMO is better. Clever.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I really respect TRION and hold them as the standard that most other mmo devs do not meet, I just wish Rift itself was a more interesting game. A major problem is that is has both standard quest hubs and Dynamic Events, and both come of as watered down compared to WoW which focuses on hubs and GW2 which is mostly DEs.

However it's GW2's combat that won me over, even more than the more varied and story based DEs, after TERA I can't go back to passive hotkey rotations. If RIft changed to a more action combat system and added some more interesting races I would return.

Still there is both Defiance and End of Nations, the later I know for a fact is a great game IMO, and I look forward to playing more of Trion's games in the future.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion

There have been way more than 5 patches. Some were small hotfixes, some were major patches that fixed multiple broken De's and other features. They released several small patches when the trading post was having a fit with the server loads. They released patches to increase server capacity as well as WvW capacity. More than 5 patches i can assure you.

At release I think every time i logged in there was some small patch to download.

Just sayin'...

agree - can see all the GW2 patch builds here

http://gw2status.com/version_history

both Trion and ANET do decent patching

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

Why would we bother posting on here? We are too busy playing and enjoying Rift.

You're right, each to his own. The fact you didn't enjoy Rift and think SWToR was better tells me everything I need to know about you as a player.

I'm intrigued as to why you'd even bother posting on a forum for a game you only played for two weeks? Seems very odd.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

You're right, each to his own. The fact you didn't enjoy Rift and think SWToR was better tells me everything I need to know about you as a player.

I'm intrigued as to why you'd even bother posting on a forum for a game you only played for two weeks? Seems very odd.

this thread wasn't originally in the Rift forums believe it got moved here.. :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

this post wasn't originally in the Rift forums believe it got moved here.. :)

That's even odder. lol.