Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - a single player game...

Comments

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by halflife25
    I can play any MMO as a single player game but that is my choice. However, GW2 like any other MMO encourages players to team up. In the end it is upto the players.

Encourages? Really?

Eq1, DAoC... Those games encouraged players to team up. 

GW2 encourages players to Zerg or solo. Dungeons are doable in groups as small as 3 players now (explore mode).

there is very little encouragement to team up - the core gameplay is solo and Zerg friendly.

Forced grouping might be encouragement  for you. it is a matter  of prespective. In EQ1 there was no choice. Either get a group or deal with roadbloacks in content progression.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    ...um every event that happens when I quest..there is a least 10 or so doing it, and we all do it together. And no, I am not grouped with them, I just group with my wife but, the game actually encourages you to group when a event hits where you are questing
    Originally posted by Hrica
    ...um every event that happens when I quest..there is a least 10 or so doing it, and we all do it together. And no, I am not grouped with them, I just group with my wife but, the game actually encourages you to group when a event hits where you are questing

You don't have to join the party that is the best part. You are in group by default. Experince, loot etc everything is shared with other players.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Originally posted by Hrica

You don't have to join the party that is the best part. You are in group by default. Experince, loot etc everything is shared with other players.

+1

• gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84
    yay, so many whiners in this game. Dont play it if you dont like it we wont miss you and your negativity. have a nice day back to GW2 =D
    I can play any MMO as a single player game but that is my choice. However, GW2 like any other MMO encourages players to team up. In the end it is upto the players.

Encourages? Really?

GW2 encourages players to Zerg or solo. Dungeons are doable in groups as small as 3 players now (explore mode).

there is very little encouragement to team up - the core gameplay is solo and Zerg friendly.

Forced grouping might be encouragement  for you. it is a matter  of prespective. In EQ1 there was no choice. Either get a group or deal with roadbloacks in content progression.

Wait - let's back up a bit - you said that GW2 encourages grouping. Where? Wouldn't that mean that the majority of the playerbase would be grouped if what your claim was true?

look around you for most of any players time from 1-80 how much of that time are they grouped. You could do a poll and ask - the vast majority of the playerbase is NOT grouped. Why?

because there is no incentive to do so, outside of dungeons and sPvp.

GW2 does not encourage group play, it is designed around solo and Zerg group play for most of the content it offers.

Only because you actively don't joina  group or don't see a raid window on your screen doesn't mean you are not grouping. So it encourages players to group even when you are not in group. How many times in MMOS i have not bothered with getting a group together because i just don't want to bother with sending invites.

In GW2, ANET did a clever thing and put everyone in group by default. Only time i need to form a party is when i want to go into dungeon.

So yes for me that is encouragign players to work together who other wise can't be bothered with party invitations.

Encourages? Really?

Wait - let's back up a bit - you said that GW2 encourages grouping. Where? Wouldn't that mean that the majority of the playerbase would be grouped if what your claim was true?

look around you for most of any players time from 1-80 how much of that time are they grouped. You could do a poll and ask - the vast majority of the playerbase is NOT grouped. Why?

GW2 does not encourage group play, it is designed around solo and Zerg group play for most of the content it offers.

Only because you actively don't joina  group or don't see a raid window on your screen doesn't mean you are not grouping. So it encourages players to group even when you are not in group. How many times in MMOS i have not bothered with getting a group together because i just don't want to bother with sending invites.

In GW2, ANET did a clever thing and put everyone in group by default. Only time i need to form a party is when i want to go into dungeon.

So yes for me that is encouragign players to work together who other wise can't be bothered with party invitations.

That's not grouping - do you remember any of the people the game automatically groups you with - no -it is because its not the same.

it is a bunch of individual players Zerging together, nobody meets anybody, you don't form any relationships, the Zerg is over as soon as the dynamic event ends.

and you are back alone as before with no group.

this is not grouping - it's a bunch of solo players who solo in a Zerg.

at least Rift put players in an actual group.

To be fair i don't care or remember even the players who are in actual group with me. We participate in an event together, co operate and help each other out and say our good byes. 

I don't play MMOS to form relationships though. So like i said earlier it is matter of prespective.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Encourages? Really?

here is what I think GW2 discourages players from grouping because in the Zerg all players get the credit, there is zero reason for players to group up. This has the opposite effect as you feel alone in the group and never meet and chat with other players - this is what most players experience - it is NOT the same as forming a group and getting to know folks.

With this post you almost sound like some kind of "Party UI Frames Elitest" - just because I don't join a Party doesn't mean I'm not grouping. What you call "zerging" I call "playing with others" and I greatly prefer it to the "forced grouping" approach of EQ or FFXI.

I understand the "rose-tinted glasses" through which you are viewing your "MMO Glory Days" and hopefully ArcheAge or EQNext will be the game you are looking for, but as others have pointed out GW2 is very "group friendly" and being forced to form a party in games like EQ or FFXI isn't "encouragement" it is a requirement.

Creslin actually hit it on the head in another post when he said the key to the games you prefer being social was the ridiculous amount of downtime. I played FFXI and it was the time it took to rest and recover MP or for the puller to bring back the next mob that allowed socialization - and even then it wasn't all perfect and beautiful like you remember as more experienced groups ran with 2 pullers and regen food and buffs and I just stood there in my camp spot for 4 hours spamming my rotation without saying a word.

WoW requires groups for all its dungeons and unless I was doing a Guild Run in Vent there was no communication either.

For the gameplay you seem to prefer I suggest you try Puzzle Pirates - it offers tremendous opportunities for people to socialize while playing.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by papardelios

-This is a comment i found here on forums and it describes exactly how me and the majority of my friends/guildies feel about the game-

<

It just lacks the social elements of other games .. /who command? inspect upgrade choices? .. for instance.

lol.   I've been playing MMOs since my 16-year-old was a toddler.   The /who command and the inspect functions do not make an MMO social.   People with social skills make an MMO social.

Or do you confuse forced groupings. leetism (and all the put downs that entails) and pugs with being 'social?'

It's OK just to log into once in a while because it's B2P (and P2P would have been the death of this game).  But everything is focused around the individual player, and not other players.  Why would I care if I get a legendary armor set?  Who would notice?

Why would you play MMOs with that attitude?    Seriously, it's seems as the market has gotten bigger and bigger, more and more people have forgotten that MMOs are social games with a wide variety of things to do for a wide audience.   Not every thing in an MMO is for everyone.

ACHIEVERS LIKE TO ACHIEVE.   Legendary armor shows ACHIEVEMENT.

As for the removal of the trinity, that might be OK for a light casual game, but not for an RPG.  Everyone has the same cookie cutter class .. everyone can tank, heal, and dps .. yay?  There is no importance to any role any longer .. nobody feels important in the end, they are just "another" player.

Oh, BS.   I've played RPGs since the DnD original boxex set having come to that through Chainmail (miniatures).   

Honestly, the trinity is not the pinnacle of game design.  Rather, it's a symptom of game design limitations inherent from the older, poorer computers we had to play games on.   Just like Pong, PacMan and the other arcarde-like video games of the 1980s.  

Then you have teh gall to make the charge of 'cookie cutter?'   Oh, please, trinty-games like WoW, the King of Cookie Cutter, are far more cookie cutter.   LOTRO is cookie cutter.  SWTOR is cookie cutter.   DDO is cookie cutter.  Game after game after game is full of cookie cutter builds.  

I feel for you too, because I also see GW2 as having an amazing graphics engine with core ideas that are simply the best.  I only wish I felt more a part of the GW2 world whenever I log in.  As it is, nobody knows I exist, and it's a lonely experience, even if I'm in a guild.  Do they even notice when I log on?  Since everything outside of dungeons is soloable it's just bland (with dungeons why care since you can get equal gear via solo) ... It's just such an empty empty game world ..>>

original owner

Concern troll is concerned and making the same bogus claims as the vitrol trolls.   Whatever.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

^ none of that has to do with what I am asking here - which is that GW2 encourages grouping.

my likes and dislikes are irrelevant, 

you say in your own post that GW2 is group friendly, but wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it is solo friendly?

that is my point.

No. This combined with the post you just made highlight the "communication breakdown" as it were.

Games like EQ and FFXI forced grouping. It wasn't optional if you wanted to make any kind of decent progress in the game.

Games like WoW and (to a much lesser extent) RIFT were almost "group adverse" while leveling - competing for nodes, mob-tapping, the incredibly "zergy" pace of gameplay in Open World content if doing it while grouped - it encouraged a lot of people to seek areas where other people weren't around.

GW2 encourages playing with others - XP for Reviving, shared nodes, scaling content, cross-class combos. It is the first MMO I've ever played where when I see other people in the world I smile and rush towards them.

It is very possible for a person to feel "isolated and alone" when surrounded by other people... but in psychological terms it is viewed as a symptom of the individual.

I go back to what I said before - if the "only way" you can "feel" you are "in a group" is because of a Party UI Frame, the issue is you and not the game.

Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by Kenze

if youre playing GW2 solo then you are doing so by choice. NO GAME can FORCE you to /invite or /join

L2Play L2Bsocial

Actually it is forcing you to solo by making solo exping faster than grouping. I tried grouping with my friends a few times and it was painful. Just move a few meters away from a group member and they disappear from the screen and map. Then we always have to wait for the slowest member to finish their heart to move on. And of course there is always someone who sucks at jumping puzzles, or forgot a poi and has to run back to get it. 

I call BS.    I'm in a guild.  We do things together.  Since we get the full XP and can burn through things four and five times faster with our mini-zerg we can really power-level we have a mind to power-level.

And, no, they don't dissappear a 'few meters away.'    With clearly wrong details on the current state of the game I have to question if you even play the game.

Originally posted by Stx11
    With this post you almost sound like some kind of "Party UI Frames Elitest" - just because I don't join a Party doesn't mean I'm not grouping. What you call "zerging" I call "playing with others" and I greatly prefer it to the "forced grouping" approach of EQ or FFXI.

I understand the "rose-tinted glasses" through which you are viewing your "MMO Glory Days" and hopefully ArcheAge or EQNext will be the game you are looking for, but as others have pointed out GW2 is very "group friendly" and being forced to form a party in games like EQ or FFXI isn't "encouragement" it is a requirement.

Creslin actually hit it on the head in another post when he said the key to the games you prefer being social was the ridiculous amount of downtime. I played FFXI and it was the time it took to rest and recover MP or for the puller to bring back the next mob that allowed socialization - and even then it wasn't all perfect and beautiful like you remember as more experienced groups ran with 2 pullers and regen food and buffs and I just stood there in my camp spot for 4 hours spamming my rotation without saying a word.

WoW requires groups for all its dungeons and unless I was doing a Guild Run in Vent there was no communication either.

For the gameplay you seem to prefer I suggest you try Puzzle Pirates - it offers tremendous opportunities for people to socialize while playing.

Pretty much.   And 'open world PvP'...   There's the romanticized 'open world' PvP and the actual  open-world PvP which, in every game, has been more brawl and zerg than any sort of 'beauty.'   And I'm including Fallen Earth and Eve Online, two of the most PvP centric and PvP evolved games I've played.    Groups have always been dominated by the mob-zerg fest and rarely have you seen anything but the most rudimentary tactics.  

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

Yesterday we made a guild event. We dropped a banquet in Claypool so that people new to the game could participate, and we had a party. After that, a large guild group went... to do jumping puzzles, for fun. We had a blast, and ended at 2am exhausted but with a smile on our faces.

But yeah, the game has no community and is a single player game. If you make it so.

Community is not something included in the game box, it's something the players create. Of course, if you spend your time whining on forums that there's no community, you can't indeed participate to the community... ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

yah i agree..plays alot like a single player game..no1 even bothers to joke / talk / kid around or be social ..at times its so mind numbing i rage and log out to play older mmo's that are more social

dont get me wronge  gw2 is a good game..but as a community its not social at all..what ever happened to groups / roles / quests / being social and working as a team ...yah gw2 is diff and good in spurts..but i also find myself logging just because of the points i listed

its good that gw2 stands out to be diff cuz its what the genra could use as its in the decline..but i WOULD NOT want every company / dev. under the sun moveing in the direction to be like them

as a core mmorpgs are about some questing /adventures /races /factions/ wars/ conflict / crafting and yes even grinding gear..with gw2 its just zerg zerg zerg with none or very little of the above but this is IMO

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

GW2 is no more of a single player  game than WoW or any other MMO to come out since 2004. All of them can be solo'd to the level cap. Nobody has to group up in any current MMO to level.

Where GW2 differs is the ease with which you can participate in group events, simply by being there with other players. I don't see this as a bad thing. I certainly think it's an improvement on endless gear grinds in the same raid zones week after week, locked instances until reset stopping you going again with other friends etc.

I notice that the OP makes no mention of the Dungeons. Certainly not solo content, there. Sorry, but I find that statements like this usually come from people with an agenda, or those that haven't played past the starter zones.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by odinsrath

yah i agree..plays alot like a single player game..no1 even bothers to joke / talk / kid around or be social ..at times its so mind numbing i rage and log out to play older mmo's that are more social

<snip>

Gotta reply to this. How is this any different from, say WoW? Because you have an LFD tool and run 5 mans that you've done 6 million times already? Because you get into a group where NOBODY speaks at all unless it's to insult others. Noob Tank, Noob Healer, Noob! That's all you ever see in LFD groups.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    Originally posted by odinsrath

Gotta reply to this. How is this any different from, say WoW? Because you have an LFD tool and run 5 mans that you've done 6 million times already? Because you get into a group where NOBODY speaks at all unless it's to insult others. Noob Tank, Noob Healer, Noob! That's all you ever see in LFD groups.

i dont play wow so..couldnt tell ya

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by papardelios

-This is a comment i found here on forums and it describes exactly how me and the majority of my friends/guildies feel about the game-

<

It's OK just to log into once in a while because it's B2P (and P2P would have been the death of this game).  But everything is focused around the individual player, and not other players.  Why would I care if I get a legendary armor set?  Who would notice?

Uhm actually everything in this game aside from the personal story is focused around groups. DE's are all grouping DE's notably in Orr. Your argument is nonsense.

Even grouping is enhanced. When in a group if you switch a toon out you're still in group when you log back in....one of the many little enhancements made.

As for the removal of the trinity, that might be OK for a light casual game, but not for an RPG.  Everyone has the same cookie cutter class .. everyone can tank, heal, and dps .. yay?  There is no importance to any role any longer .. nobody feels important in the end, they are just "another" player.

The more mature players don't need a special role to feel important and btw, no one can tank, try tanking anything in Orr you'll see what I mean very quickly LOL and healing isn't really that powerful, there are no dedicated healers, the healing zones actually do damage or conditions and players much stay within them.

I feel for you too, because I also see GW2 as having an amazing graphics engine with core ideas that are simply the best.  I only wish I felt more a part of the GW2 world whenever I log in.  As it is, nobody knows I exist, and it's a lonely experience, even if I'm in a guild.  Do they even notice when I log on?  Since everything outside of dungeons is soloable it's just bland (with dungeons why care since you can get equal gear via solo) ... It's just such an empty empty game world ..>>

Now this is an issue, I've written them posts about it apparently there's ui enhancement team working but they haven't given specific details about working on what yet. I hope they add a tiny window to give notifications just above the chat window so it doesn't clog up everything to see when people log.

original owner

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I've been feeling this way since the first 20 minutes of playing the beta and all the way up to now playing the full game since the head start. It's hilarious that it's taking a lot of you so long to notice this is another single player MMO. A uniqure MMO? Maybe. But still very single player. You're surrounded by a community of zombies who only stop to ask a question or get a Obama and Romney debate in the map chat

I've been yelled at and even warned about my pointing out what guild wars 2 is, yet here are all these threads *finally* pointing out these things and in a way backing up what I've been saying forever. I understand though. There aren't many MMO players on here that have played a ridiculous amount of MMOs for more than 3/4th's of their lives like have on these forums. Most of you playing GW2 seem to be the people that only got into MMOs after WoW made MMO mainstream which diluted MMO communities to what it is today. GW2 pretty sums up what casual MMO communities are because it 100% panders to casual solo play with zero reward for interacting and playing with others.

I can only hope that GW2 is not a smash hit. Because then we'll have clones of it by these goofy mmo devs. And MMO game reviewers will constantly praise them because they barely understand MMOs and are just getting into the concept. They aren't MMO players, they're just jumping on board because it's the popular thing to do and when comparing the first few MMOs you play to the regular games you've been playing, the MMO you're playing is going to seem better than it is because it's a new experience. Go look at MMO reviews by well known game reviewers. What do they all do? Compare it the most generic and mainstream MMO of all, World of Warcraft. "This game isn't like WoW" or "This game is pretty much like WoW" is something 99% of them will always say because they're unaware of everquest, ultima, hell, even runescape or tibia. WoW is NOT the frame work for which a game should made. Otherwise you get GW2, big single player game.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

As everyone else has said, this doesnt need another thread since this was the exact post from another.

Here is what pretty much everyone else said on there:

1) Legendary gear is noticable, it looks awesome.

2) Gearscore and inspecting achievements / traits is not social. Asking someone how they specced or what they have achieved would be social. Inspecting them to decide whether to take them on the group with you is anti-social.

3) The game is better without the trinity. Good players of any class can shine. It isnt the Tank, Healer and friends show. In pretty much any other MMO I have played a good healer and tank can duo most stuff. The other classes are pretty much anonymous bystanders. In GW2 success depends on the whole group.

So yeah, we get it, you want a WoW trinity grindfest with pseudo-elitism (you know, crap players in good gear who feel awesome about themselves because of said gear). Well, good news! The game that caters to that has just released an expansion! Have fun, dont let the door hit your ass on the way out.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    FFS how many negative threads can one person start?  We get it....you hate the game.  Almost everything about the game bothers you.  Solution:  Quit writing about it and go play something else that you enjoy.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by jinxxed0

I've been feeling this way since the first 20 minutes of playing the beta and all the way up to now playing the full game since the head start. It's hilarious that it's taking a lot of you so long to notice this is another single player MMO. A uniqure MMO? Maybe. But still very single player. You're surrounded by a community of zombies who only stop to ask a question or get a Obama and Romney debate in the map chat

I've been yelled at and even warned about my pointing out what guild wars 2 is, yet here are all these threads *finally* pointing out these things and in a way backing up what I've been saying forever. I understand though. There aren't many MMO players on here that have played a ridiculous amount of MMOs for more than 3/4th's of their lives like have on these forums. Most of you playing GW2 seem to be the people that only got into MMOs after WoW made MMO mainstream which diluted MMO communities to what it is today. GW2 pretty sums up what casual MMO communities are because it 100% panders to casual solo play with zero reward for interacting and playing with others.

I can only hope that GW2 is not a smash hit. Because then we'll have clones of it by these goofy mmo devs. And MMO game reviewers will constantly praise them because they barely understand MMOs and are just getting into the concept. They aren't MMO players, they're just jumping on board because it's the popular thing to do and when comparing the first few MMOs you play to the regular games you've been playing, the MMO you're playing is going to seem better than it is because it's a new experience. Go look at MMO reviews by well known game reviewers. What do they all do? Compare it the most generic and mainstream MMO of all, World of Warcraft. "This game isn't like WoW" or "This game is pretty much like WoW" is something 99% of them will always say because they're unaware of everquest, ultima, hell, even runescape or tibia. WoW is NOT the frame work for which a game should made. Otherwise you get GW2, big single player game.

SPOT ON SIR AND WELL PLAYED ! and lets hope not :c

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

If a person needs a game to force people to group up so they can be in a group, then the problem lies with the person not the game.

GW2 is what YOU make it.  Do you want to have people to group with and talk to? Go make some in-game friends.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    FFS how many negative threads can one person start?  We get it....you hate the game.  Almost everything about the game bothers you.  Solution:  Quit writing about it and go play something else that you enjoy.

No one forces you to read these threads,are you ArenaNets appointed champion defender.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Really? The fanboi's are still trying to eat anyone with a negative review of this game?? This is the most antisocial MMO I have ever played.

Yes it's up to the player as well but there is almost no reason to so much as message a single person for any reason.....ever. It's worth the $60 for solo play but hardly a lasting MMO. In a month or two it will get the SWTOR treatment due to it's non existent endgame and the overall pointless feel it has.

Unfotunatly MoP is awful as well, as it brings nothing new to the table in a 8 year old game. The dungeons are the easiest they've ever been in 4 expansions and the quests had me nodding off by the 10th one.

Get ready for the MMO drought, the only thing MoP and GW 2 will manage to do in the near future is up the sales of Xbox 360's and PS3's.