Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - a single player game...

Comments

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Karteli

Woo thanks for the honorable mention :-)

But I think you'll get a lot of flack for creating a new thread with this.  You should add your own opinions too, or restate what was already said in your own words and use my post as a backup source :-)

All the same, I stand by what I say, so the OP post is 100% correct, to me LOL.

Actually, one of the things I'm impressed with is how ANet has broken with the typical MMORPG wisdom of a zero-sum game. You get xp for rezz'ing other players. You can't 'steal' a harvesting node. You don't have to race to 'tag' a mob to get the loot. People share locations of 'rare' spawns (DE's) because you need more people to down the champions. While the game doesn't have a dungeon finder, if you party with someone, only a single person has to enter the instance and it ports everyone in. When you're done, it ports you back to precisely where you were standing before you went in.

If you want to make a case that the game lacks social tools for you and your friends to game together, I'll concede there seems to be a lack. Certainly in the guild interface.

But I don't think you can make the case for it being a 'solo' game. The ONLY place I experience the "people walk 5 steps away and disappear" is in WvWvW and occassionally in SOME cities. But out in the world, I regularly run into other people and find the gaming experince generally FAR more cooperative and socially interactive than WoW or SWTOR.

• GreenKnight1776GreenKnight1776 Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    So socializing is dependent on game classes and ability to see some random guy's equipment? You learn something new every day...

Okay so I'm not the only one who thought the whining was getting a bit loud in here...

GW2 is NOT a gear based, raid based, holy trinity dependent game. That is the POINT. If you feel like you aren't important because the universe can't inspect your e-peen Uber Legendary Gear Of Ultimate Doom, GW2 is not for you and they made it clear several years ago that it wasn't going to be like other games.

And yet the reponse is, this game doesn't do the same thing as all the other MMOs over the past 5 years and I don't like it! Then the very next post by someone else: this game is just like all the other MMOs out there!

It is perfectly easy to group in this game and socialize. Almost EVERY MMO or even online co-op makes it almost too easy. But you have to take advantage of the tools. Chat, anyone?

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I can get to level 80 faster by grouping up and going for 100% map completion than I can solo.
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    And I don't have to wait for hours to have the perfect trinity group to play.

What do I do? Well I just... play.

Ok I can play more efficiently in an organized group. But even without one, I can play with others and live epic battles ! That's awesome.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Soloing basically sucks, it's boring and dull, I did too much of it back in SWTOR and Aion. In GW2 I had such a blast with my guildmates and random people I ran into, things get done much faster, I got a couple levels at a much faster pace.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626
    So socializing is dependent on game classes and ability to see some random guy's equipment? You learn something new every day...

Not per se, but inspecting others gear does lend to social aspects.  In WoW players would want to inspect for some sort of quality guantee that the recipient of the inspect wouldn't suck (At least in early WoW, nowadays anyone who breathes gets epics, so inspect in WoW is meaningless),

Inspecting in GW2 would be cool because you could see someones "awesome" legendaries and how they upgraded them.  Inspecting is touted as a non-feature in GW2, which is disappointing.  The spin to non-inspection is that it invades another players privacy.  This makes GW2 anti-social yes, to everyones claims?

so..Do you poke around your friends phone ? emails ? mailbox ? text message ?without asking ?

How hard is it to message a player and said "hey, what is that piece of armor you have on ? " 

If the only way you can social with people is by inspecting , I feel for your friends.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by GreenKnight1776

Okay so I'm not the only one who thought the whining was getting a bit loud in here...

GW2 is NOT a gear based, raid based, holy trinity dependent game. That is the POINT. If you feel like you aren't important because the universe can't inspect your e-peen Uber Legendary Gear Of Ultimate Doom, GW2 is not for you and they made it clear several years ago that it wasn't going to be like other games.

And yet the reponse is, this game doesn't do the same thing as all the other MMOs over the past 5 years and I don't like it! Then the very next post by someone else: this game is just like all the other MMOs out there!

It is perfectly easy to group in this game and socialize. Almost EVERY MMO or even online co-op makes it almost too easy. But you have to take advantage of the tools. Chat, anyone?

Why bother getting any legendary items then .. who cares?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by zakiyawow

Not per se, but inspecting others gear does lend to social aspects.  In WoW players would want to inspect for some sort of quality guantee that the recipient of the inspect wouldn't suck (At least in early WoW, nowadays anyone who breathes gets epics, so inspect in WoW is meaningless),

Inspecting in GW2 would be cool because you could see someones "awesome" legendaries and how they upgraded them.  Inspecting is touted as a non-feature in GW2, which is disappointing.  The spin to non-inspection is that it invades another players privacy.  This makes GW2 anti-social yes, to everyones claims?

so..Do you poke around your friends phone ? emails ? mailbox ? text message ?without asking ?

How hard is it to message a player and said "hey, what is that piece of armor you have on ? " 

If the only way you can social with people is by inspecting , I feel for your friends.

With all due respect, this is the mentallity that is going to make this game drop off the charts.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

It's not a solo game at all. In-fact alot of game's out there are not "meant" to be soloed. BUT (yea theres a big but)most of the current player base in just about any major mmo plays solo, Its a fact of life in mmos. And to be totally honest I cant say I blame people for not wanting to play with others. lets take a look

Pro: you get to be social and hang with friends and guildmates.....

Con:Pugs (need i really say more), You have to share loot tables with people, Always get that noob tank that wipes the group

get people who just now saw you can draw on the map all night, have to read chat to see why the healer stopped healing, Wait on Disconnects........etc most poeple can go on all night about why they dont like groups

Not many can say why they like being social other then just being social.

I enjoy a good group to play with or active guild just as much as the next but with "Kiddie" fun time in the lvling areas most people are to freaked out to risk a group or just dont see the need. Personally if i could find a group to hang with that wasnt so "PVPVPVPVPVPVPVP!!!!" all the time or "Roleplayers" i might find a happy middle of the road but seeing as just about every mmo i play (number is at about 15 mmos) has endless amounts of bitter vets and trolls who would want to group? or god forbid ask a question or even utter a word in local/map chat.

years ago we didnt have this issue poeple were helpfull in pve and played pvp with not really honor but less "tea baggin" and "smack" talk as far as i can see until that kinda stuff slows down most will play solo and group when they have too.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

With all due respect, this is the mentallity that is going to make this game drop off the charts.

Well That's weird because the name of equipment and stats and such can be different from what it was originally.  Heck there will be more than likely a level 35 item that has the stats of a level 80.  So the whole see what someone has for others to go after is a little convoluted.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by GreenKnight1776

Why bother getting any legendary items then .. who cares?

Because you can actually SEE the legendary item.  I don't need to inspect someone to know their sword is awesome when I can jus look at them and see a bad ass flaming sword.

Anyway, I really think all of the complaints about lack of socialization in GW2 and other modern MMORPGs stem from one thing...lack of downtime.

See, in the old EQ days, we would chit chat all the time simply because you had to wait a few minutes between fights and there was NOTHING ELSE TO DO.  But in modern MMORPGs there is typically very low or no downtime.  It's much harder to constantly chit chat when you are trying not to die.  So don't be shocked if a player who is fighting has the gall to not respond to your tell.

Despite this though, many folks still do chat in the map channel between fights or when they are traveling...it is not like no one ever talks.  In the end, I really would not want to go back to the type of game that essentially forced me to socialize out of sheer boredom.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

I disagree. The mentality that only forced grouping can make people social is the downfall of social aspect in games. It is NOT hard to make friends in any game.  A game should never force player to be other's friend or force others on the player

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    I have had offers to join a guild followed by, you don't have to represent. I thought that was just so odd.
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by TalulaRose
    I have had offers to join a guild followed by, you don't have to represent. I thought that was just so odd.

Pretty sure they were letting you know they were not the kind of guild that would kick you for being in multiple guilds.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Because you can actually SEE the legendary item.  I don't need to inspect someone to know their sword is awesome when I can jus look at them and see a bad ass flaming sword.

Anyway, I really think all of the complaints about lack of socialization in GW2 and other modern MMORPGs stem from one thing...lack of downtime.

See, in the old EQ days, we would chit chat all the time simply because you had to wait a few minutes between fights and there was NOTHING ELSE TO DO.  But in modern MMORPGs there is typically very low or no downtime.  It's much harder to constantly chit chat when you are trying not to die.  So don't be shocked if a player who is fighting has the gall to not respond to your tell.

Despite this though, many folks still do chat in the map channel between fights or when they are traveling...it is not like no one ever talks.  In the end, I really would not want to go back to the type of game that essentially forced me to socialize out of sheer boredom.

I'm not sure why people can't understand people will strive for cosmetic gear...  millions had no issue with this in GW1.. anyway I agree lack of downtime is a huge factor.. nowadays way less downtime waiting for spawns, way less downtime for health/mana regen... In SWG we used to wait in line for buffs I used to wait 30+ min for them sometimes so people had nothing else to do but talk... but overall I would rather more gametime less downtime so in this aspect I'm glad MMOs have gone this route.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by Kenze

if youre playing GW2 solo then you are doing so by choice. NO GAME can FORCE you to /invite or /join

L2Play L2Bsocial

Actually it is forcing you to solo by making solo exping faster than grouping. I tried grouping with my friends a few times and it was painful. Just move a few meters away from a group member and they disappear from the screen and map. Then we always have to wait for the slowest member to finish their heart to move on. And of course there is always someone who sucks at jumping puzzles, or forgot a poi and has to run back to get it. 

An amazing post, but not for the reason you were hoping.  All you said was that "the game is better solo because my friends suck.".  None of what you said has anything to do with the game's design.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I'm not sure why people can't understand people will strive for cosmetic gear...  millions had no issue with this in GW1... 

To me "Cosmetic Progression/Collection" is like Full Loot PvP - it's a gameplay style that many of the people who don't like or "get" it simply can't conceive of anybody liking it...

The big difference being that Cosmetic Gear is a lot more popular and important to more people as seen by the (in)famous "Cosmetic Thread" in SWTOR or Blizzard implementing Transmog ^.-

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

Originally posted by TheIronLegion

That pic is epic lol

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Ultimately, I think that the ones who find it hard to make friends IRL will find it hard in GW2, too. It doesn't force other people to "like" you, just because you've got a role they need for their group. They're not forced to stop and talk with you, if they'd rather play the game. If social means "people are forced to be social", then yes, GW2 is anti-social. However, I don't think that's quite right. I know I've chatted in GW2 as much as I've chatted in other MMOs.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by observer
    What do players want then?  Forced socialization?  How would you go about it?  Group requirement to enter a zone?  Should all mobs be Veterans?  All Skill Points need 5 members minimum?  Should Vistas require us to be grouped?  What about Dynamic Events?  Should we wait for a full group to even start them?  Should everyone be socializing about there daily and weekly lives?  What they had for lunch?  When they went to the restroom?  Is this facebook or a video game?  Should the chatbox always be scrolling every second?  No time to fight!  Be social people!

Despite your obvious intentions with that response, all it illustrates is that you've never experienced a MMO with a robust social/community element to it. And so, since you've never had that experience, and apparently can't fathom how it could be done in a very enjoyable and positive way, you mock the idea instead.

How unfortunate for you.

Here's a few hints for you to chew on:

Most of the MMOs with a strong social/community element existed prior to WoW. Everything since has pushed more and more and more toward solo play. Yes, even GW2. More "me"; less "we" - and no I'm not talking about "forced grouping".

Most of the people playing those MMOs were far more social/community-oriented people.

Socialization was never forced. It was quite natural.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Grouping wise, gw2 is better than these raid orientated games, as a guild we can just go WvW or orr and run stuff, there's no "sorry all 20 spots are taken", there's no "sorry but its not our problem you had to put the kids to he'd, you're half an hour late we got someone else"
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    I can play any MMO as a single player game but that is my choice. However, GW2 like any other MMO encourages players to team up. In the end it is upto the players.
  • CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49
    Yes, GW2 is good, but not so good that it can make a socially retarded person have friends.  If you choose to be the wall-flower and play by yourself, any game lets you - this is not unique to GW2.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I like the fact that I don't have to wait 30 mins in a dungeon finder, initiate roles and end up getting checked if I have the appropriate gear/achievement by some whizkid who goes total into emorage after 1 whipe and killing his family......

In GW2 there's no killstealing, spawncamping, just group up socialize (yes) and having fun....I grouped up more in GW2 then in all those years of MMO gaming which would require me to join a guild with a 'be here for your guild every free minute of your life' doctrine.

plus I see people reviving each other, healing each other, be friendly etc etc.

Guildwars 2 might be the first real actual friendly social MMO in a decade.  Shocking, isn't it?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"