Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MoP sales really this low ?

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    The last expnsion was only 2 yers ago. I don't think digital vs box sales will be much different than the were in 2010. Seems as if it was only a week or two back people were all over the boards braging on how they had bought the collecters edition, now the same people are saying no no no me and everyonne I know bought digital, sureeeee....
    unlike Cata in 2010

MOP has a deluxe digital that includes all the ingame perks of CE for a cheaper price

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/07/25/mists-of-pandaria-digital-deluxe-edition-includes-both-pet-and-m/

the only way to get it is direct thru Blizzard

do they mail you the artbook, mousepad etc ?

don't get me wrong . I have nevver ordered a "ccollectors" edition of any game, waste of money in my opinion. I have been doing digita; for several years, just find it hillarious thet suddenly when it is annnonced that bos sales were low everyone is proclaiming that no one they know ordered the box edition anyway....almost as unny as the patch that ate the XFire numbers the day that GW2 released.

Nothing to see here folks move along...there are no American tanks within 500 miles of Baagdhad ...etc etc

I miss DAoC

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Wizardry

It makes you wonder about the 16 or so million subscribers.If they don't think Blizzaard  is capable of selling them good content,why are they supporting the game?They just like paying 15 bucks for no reason,or is it storage rental fees for the game assests?

I think it is that case of people just can't let go,no matter how bored or whatever reason.This makes me think the majority and a large one at that,just hang onto subs,but don't really play much anymore.In otherwords they are afraid to just leave behind their gear/items and players.It is sad imo,gaming should not garner that type of love for pixels,you can't take them with you ,they are NEVER yours to own,you are simply renting the use of the game assests.

People can say whatever they want,there is ONLY one way to tell the truth about how players really feel about a game.If Blizzard announced tommorrow all servers got wiped,how mnay players would still play Wow?I know it is only a guessing game,but imo it would be a VERY low number,like MAYBE 2 million tops.

personally i feel 700k is a really bad showing,you should see at least 50%,realistically more like 75+% of active subs.

I doubt that blizzard's PR can twist this around in any way to make appear positive.So it will be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

We can't even use recent game launches as an excuse becuase  a few million does not equal the 10+ million that are not buying to what Blizzard is selling.

if that were true then it would be, but as there are as yet no figures for how many copies of MoP have been purchased, but if your going to guess at sales figures, i'll guess too.. 8 million.. WoW once again dominates the MMO genre image

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I haven't played WoW since the mid-late WotlK, but even I can objectively look at this and say it's a load of worthless incomplete data.  The only number that means anything is the total number of sales, and unless we're given an additional variable, such as what percentage of total sales are retail copies, we simply cannot figure out that number.  We can't even reasonably estimate.  I mean, we CAN estimate by using, say, the % of total Cata sales that were digital copies or the % of total D3 sales that were digital copies as our low or high end ranges, but the range would be quite large and still largely meaningless as far as any arguments people would like to use that data for (such as, "I told you so I told you so, WoW's dead!" or "WoW's doing just fine, it probably sold 16 billion digital sales!.") 

Until we get the full data, I suppose this article has served its purpose: to excite ex-wow players or wow-haters and validate their choice to not play the game and to generate a lot of traffic on the website.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Stx11
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Psychow

I don't know anyone who bought a box version of the expansion instead of the digital version. The expansion is already downloaded. You wouldn't even have to insert the discs into the computer.

Yet they discount the relevence of the digital sales...yeah...ok...

So this little "story" is completely useless. 

Have to agree here. The shear number of digital delux/CE mounts that were running around when the MoP patch dropped a month ago says this could be their first expansion to have digitals outsell boxed copies.

I wouldn't be surprised if Digital Sales do outsell Boxed copies this time around, but there are two things I find "troubling" for Blizzard:

1) The very large number of Low and Medium Pop Servers - even on Launch Day in "Primetime" (every Server I used to play on stayed pegged at Medium)

2) X-Fire Number of Players - Last I checked it still hadn't broken 10k. That number is way down from where WoW used to be.

I'm sure the expansion will turn a profit for Blizzard and sell millions of copies. Internally though I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard considers MoP a disappointment (at least initially) - people just aren't coming back to the game in close to the numbers that they wanted to see.

As much as I don't think xfire is a good indicator of a game's popularity the historical evidence here I believe is valid. There are a bunch of people on my server (Drenden) but I see that most of the are from Cross Realms. My personal observation is that MOP is a less popular release than CATA. I for one am about ready to quit. The game is no longer an MMO it is a themepark on rails. I feel like an observer rather than a player. The talent changes were bad enough but losing my beloved succubus was the end. I loved and subbed WOW for 7 years. Time to move on.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Jackdog find it hillarious thet suddenly when it is annnonced that bos sales were low everyone is proclaiming that no one they know ordered the box edition anyway

I base my speculation on what i saw on amazon during mid august

as of Aug 16th, MOP standard edition was missing from the amazon top 100

on that day -- both WOTLK and Cata were still selling in the top 100

GW2 outselling WoW:MoP on Amazon US!

that indirectly told me:

either amazon was not popular for MOP

or players were buying it direct from blizzard

Originally posted by tordurbar

As much as I don't think xfire is a good indicator of a game's popularity the historical evidence here I believe is valid. There are a bunch of people on my server (Drenden) but I see that most of the are from Cross Realms. My personal observation is that MOP is a less popular release than CATA. I for one am about ready to quit. The game is no longer an MMO it is a themepark on rails. I feel like an observer rather than a player. The talent changes were bad enough but losing my beloved succubus was the end. I loved and subbed WOW for 7 years. Time to move on.

heh jst a coincidence that blizzard supposidly broke xfire wih a patch at the same time GW2 released huh ? Looking at the chart now makesit look like MOP doubled the number of players overnight. Odd thing though is th the numbers are 1/2 what they were in January

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AimCXydAYDLYdHUwWGhfWXg2S3pVWFY5QjcxOWlLRUE#gid=0

I miss DAoC

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by escarreta
    People are starting to open their eyes...

and.....hell as frozen ove rbecause all the pokemon kids have grown up the last 8? years and maybe found other interesting things to do...maybe meet REAL girls rather then play a night elf.  :)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

This is probably an indication that the MoP numbers are down. Considering how many people have been complaining about it, not necessarally a surprise.

However, I bought my copy digitally from Blizzard so I wasn't counted. Until those digital downloads are counted we just  won't know for sure. But this is an indicator.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    The last expnsion was only 2 yers ago. I don't think digital vs box sales will be much different than the were in 2010. Seems as if it was only a week or two back people were all over the boards braging on how they had bought the collecters edition, now the same people are saying no no no me and everyonne I know bought digital, sureeeee....
    unlike Cata in 2010

MOP has a deluxe digital that includes all the ingame perks of CE for a cheaper price

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/07/25/mists-of-pandaria-digital-deluxe-edition-includes-both-pet-and-m/

don't get me wrong . I have nevver ordered a "ccollectors" edition of any game, waste of money in my opinion. I have been doing digita; for several years, just find it hillarious thet suddenly when it is annnonced that bos sales were low everyone is proclaiming that no one they know ordered the box edition anyway....almost as unny as the patch that ate the XFire numbers the day that GW2 released.

Nothing to see here folks move along...there are no American tanks within 500 miles of Baagdhad ...etc etc

Is it as funny as the hit gw2 xfire numbers took now that MoP is released?

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

This is probably an indication that the MoP numbers are down. Considering how many people have been complaining about it, not necessarally a surprise.

However, I bought my copy digitally from Blizzard so I wasn't counted. Until those digital downloads are counted we just  won't know for sure. But this is an indicator.

What people? where? internet is for complaining. I am still waiting for official sales numbers. If i start believing internet there is not one MMO that is worth playing.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    It was a wonderful franchise once..... Key word being once....
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    unlike Cata in 2010

only wow players use xfire to show off that their game is still alive and growing.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Zorgo

considering that MOP did not even get WoWs numbers back to where they were in January. Now that is funny...wonder what  WoWs numbers will be in a month

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AimCXydAYDLYdHUwWGhfWXg2S3pVWFY5QjcxOWlLRUE#gid=0

will 5 levels of content, 1 class, and 1 race stoop the masssive exodus from WoW ?

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Muke
    only wow players use xfire to show off that their game is still alive and growing.

You must be new around here then or just love selective reading.

will 5 levels of content, 1 class, and 1 race stoop the masssive exodus from WoW ?

What is your obsession with WOW and the exodus of players? seriously. You really despise WOW so much that you are so close minded to udnerstand that a lot of players are still enjoying it and having fun?

Why is that if you hate the game it must die or fail or should suffer from mass exodus? where does this all hate comes from?

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    It doesn't matter what features they add or change, many players have played WoW for years, they need to play something different. An expansion may introduce new features, but the gameplay is pretty much the same. This is why I feel Burning Crusade, the first expansion, was the best. After that expansion I didn't bother to play like I used to. The game is fun, but one will get tired of its toys at some point.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by halflife25

What is your obsession with WOW and the exodus of players? seriously. You really despise WOW so much that you are so close minded to udnerstand that a lot of players are still enjoying it and having fun?

Why is that if you hate the game it must die or fail or should suffer from mass exodus? where does this all hate comes from?

I think a lot of hate for WoW comes from people who once loved it. I hate an awful lot of what Blizzards done to the game . I still enjoy the instanced pvp battlegrounds but much of the "streamlining"  has robbed the game of much of its fun elements .

As I've said before the kiss of death for the PVP servers were the cross server finder tools . The majority of the PVE is far too easy now even for the casual gamer . When you cant fail at a quest of instance then the fun factor disapears . Its all but impossible to fail at any of the pve content while your leveling and its only when you get to the endgames theres a little challenging content .

Gamers generally speaking hate being spoonfed content ( and not only hardcore ones ) . My only assumption can be that Blizzard decided to aim it at very young gamers ( when I say that i'm not criticising adults that play it ) . I still play now and again for the PVP only . I still know a lot of people that play it ( all 18+ ) but they are far from happy the direction the game has taken in recent  years . They seem to play it more a social thing now so for them its more  of a virtual chat room than a game as such .

I would think if you are a young gamer coming to WoW now with no experiance of what it was once like you probably would find it amazing .

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220

Worthless article.  Even if this was a new game launch in this era of gaming retail sales estimates are poor with so many people buying digital, for a expansion it is uterly useless.  I would rather spend my time looking a xfire ratings they would be way more accurate then this article(and xfire ratings aren't all that accurate).  They also compare the 600,000 estimate to a statistic of 3.3M copies of Cata but don't tell what context that 3.3M copies of cata was.  Was that 3.3M total retail boxes of cata for the life of the expansion, 3.3M total copies of cata(digital and retail) for opening week, 3.3M copies of cata total?  Without knowing what the 3.3M copies of cata is referring to comparing it to the estimate of 600,000 retail boxes for MOP is impossible.

I don't think very many people buy retail boxes for expansions anymore and personally I'm suprised that the estimate for retail boxes is as high as 600,000

Edit:3.3M was total sales of Cata in the first 24 hours...there is no information I can find on how many of those cata sales were digital.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I'm not saying that Amazon is an accurate representation of WoW's sales compared to other games in the genre, but... just saying...

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Alot

I'm not saying that Amazon is an accurate representation of WoW's sales compared to other games in the genre, but... just saying...

Its not accurate at all.  All this Amazon information is telling us is that the only people that buy physical copies are the people that want the collectors edition.  Noone is buying the reg version box only digital sales.  That will be the majority of people.  Personally I hope Wow levels out and doesn't get a huge surge of people coming back.  I like Wow here at the 9M mark alot better then at the 12M sub mark.  Could just be me but it seems pugs and stuff are full of a lot less d-berries and aholes.  I'm sure some really good players left but they took a ton of incompetent idiots with them and I have no desire to see them return.

edit: I also am guessing sales for MOP will more widely spread out then Cata.  Everyone got Cata on day 1 cause well it was the only new major MMO content coming out in town for a long time.  Now you got GW2 just launching and some people are still playing SWTOR.  Of the percent of total people that are going to play MOP a larger % of them do not feel the need to go buy it on day 1 cause there is nothing else to do.  GW2 has already started to die down from its initital surge and between now and xmas I think we will see a trickle(how big or small who knows) of people from there buying and trying MOP.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by roo67

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/analysts-mists-of-pandaria-sales-disappointing/#comments

Just saw this on massively . I did think sales would be down but this is lot lower than I'd anticipated . To be honest I think its way too low to be accurate even if its doesn't include digital sales . Still it will be intersting to see the offical sales figures when they come out .

I sure hope it does not sell well, for the sake of the game. One of my fondest gaming memories are from WoW and it's sad to see the endless content recycling from Blizzard, eyes and ears stuffed full of community destroying x-realm crap and all that. Bad sales would make Blizzard work harder and come up with non ez-mode decisions about how to continue building their flagship.

They will never be able to restore server communities, that much is certain, because it would mean they would have to strip the game of most x-realm stuff (and they are adding only more, x-realm zones now), but at least with poor sales they might re-think the endless content recycling and come up with some brand new gameplay elements and content types and styles. Would be fun and worth to check in again :)

Pokemon and instanced farmville sure are nice little distractions but I wouldnt give those the full feature end-game stamp though.

Originally posted by Kuinn

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/analysts-mists-of-pandaria-sales-disappointing/#comments

Just saw this on massively . I did think sales would be down but this is lot lower than I'd anticipated . To be honest I think its way too low to be accurate even if its doesn't include digital sales . Still it will be intersting to see the offical sales figures when they come out .

I sure hope it does not sell well, for the sake of the game. One of my fondest gaming memories are from WoW and it's sad to see the endless content recycling from Blizzard, eyes and ears stuffed full of community destroying x-realm crap and all that. Bad sales would make Blizzard work harder and come up with non ez-mode decisions about how to continue building their flagship.

They will never be able to restore server communities, that much is certain, because it would mean they would have to strip the game of most x-realm stuff (and they are adding only more, x-realm zones now), but at least with poor sales they might re-think the endless content recycling and come up with some brand new gameplay elements and content types and styles. Would be fun and worth to check in again :)

Pokemon and instanced farmville sure are nice little distractions but I wouldnt give those the full feature end-game stamp though.

Another perfect example of 'if i dislike the game, it should fail'. I mean what are the chances that others are going to enjoy MOP. But no it must fail because Mr. kuinn dislikes it. This coming from someone who is such a die hard defender of GW2.

*rolls eyes*

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

There's no more succubus? Haven't checked my warlock in a while. Or is it just that your spec doesn't have it? Or you didn't choose the talent or something?

My rogue lost preparation (chose shadowstep), but I don't cry -I adapt. Whiners like you is what's killing WoW anyway - because Blizzard listens to you! Which is both good and amazingly bad, shockingly!

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Another perfect example of 'if i dislike the game, it should fail'. I mean what are the chances that others are going to enjoy MOP. But no it must fail because Mr. kuinn dislikes it. This coming from someone who is such a die hard defender of GW2.

*rolls eyes*

You should know that I was very sceptical of GW2 before it launched, and mostly just questioned things regarding the game before I actually started to play it, I expected it to be the same story as with any other themepark clone of recent years for me.

But you're right, I came out very wrong with my post. I should have just said that "I wish MoP fails because I'd personally like to see WoW taking a different direction in the future", as I personally find the direction of the game bad ever since halfway through TBC. Edit: I expect you to gather from what I said that I dont dislike the game, I dislike what it has become vs. what it could be.

That's my personal opinion about it, and you are welcome to yours. You may like the game in its current state if that's what you like ofcourse, I dont perceive people better or worse based on what kind of games they like or dont like. I've put a couple of years into WoW which I'm glad of, and I believe that's enough for my right to have an opinion about the game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by nsignific

The talent changes were bad enough but losing my beloved succubus was the end. 

There's no more succubus? Haven't checked my warlock in a while. Or is it just that your spec doesn't have it? Or you didn't choose the talent or something?

dont know what hes talking about

my level 20 warlock still has succubus pet  (demon spec)

This discussion has been closed.