Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertisement Blocking Banner Discussion and Feedback

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    i've disabled ABP for this site in general, but im not seeing any adverts beyond the one in the background, so was kind of curious about what ads this was really about, it did get rid of the banner at least, that said i had an add blocker. but the before and after is like, no different. are the adverts dependant on the PC having flash installed? and does it include ghostery? which as far as i know only blocks trackers? image
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

My 2 cents - I don't mind the ads nor would I block them. Nothing is free in life, and the people who maintain this website need to feed thier families. Blocking ads and still participating in the discussions on this website is lame.

Either unblock the ads or find a new forum to discuss MMOs, blockers should be ashamed of themselves, but they won't, pirates ruin it all for everyone else and laugh about it.

Originally posted by Psychow

I think it's amusing that a simple thing like "Hey guys, can you turn off ad block here, it'll help us out" turns into a maga debate. 

Is it too much to ask of the community to just say "ok, no problem". Jeez... /rolls eyes

+1. It's like people think mmorpg.com is stealing from them or something.

omg I'm so offended, a site I visit everyday and enjoy wants to stay afloat...

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    I unblocked ads, but now I get all empty boxes as Ghostery blocks everything else... :/

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• DaNipperDaNipper Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Admin
    ... Running adblock on a site that supports itself with advertisements is no different than downloading pirated movies, music or video games.  You are in a sense stealing our content that we work hard to create and pay to an entire team to create.

Today I unsubscribe from your newsletter and stop visitng this site.

Originally posted by DaNipper
    ... Running adblock on a site that supports itself with advertisements is no different than downloading pirated movies, music or video games.  You are in a sense stealing our content that we work hard to create and pay to an entire team to create.

LOL, wow. Tell me how it is no different than piracy? Would you prefer that everyone blocked the ads and the website shut down?

I might quit visiting this site, not because of the ads, but because of all of the whiny crybabies that have no idea how the real world works. This whole thread is a complete embarrassment and it makes me ashamed to be a part of the MMO community.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

LOL, wow. Tell me how it is no different than piracy? Would you prefer that everyone blocked the ads and the website shut down?

I might quit visiting this site, not because of the ads, but because of all of the whiny crybabies that have no idea how the real world works. This whole thread is a complete embarrassment and it makes me ashamed to be a part of the MMO community.

Would seems more like you have no idea how the real world works. If you scoff at your customer base, in any field whatsoever, there will be a backlash that can lead to having to shutdown the company.

[mod edit]

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

You need to admit everyone involved in this topic has acted pretty poorly. What the admin said was severely inappropriate and it was a insult to everyone who visits this site. I side myself the people taking offense being called a pirate. It was something that shouldn't have been said and the fact he hasn't issued a apology speaks volumes. That's not to say that the community has acted maturely also. There have been quite a lot of drama queens in this topic saying they will leave the site over this. If this is even a factor in you leaving the site you didn't add anything to this community anyway.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i still refuse to whitelist you guys . the reason? because you already make up alot of money by taking bribes from mmo companies to write favor articles for them and make us do the wrong decision by buying a crapy game . how many times have you done this to us? swtor ? aion ? tabula rasa? diablo 3 ? the list will get pretty long . 
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I whitelist sites if they ask and they provide good content.

MMORPG provides good content (I don't agree with all of their reviews but that's expected) so I don't see an issue with whitelisting them.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

It does not matter if you click the ads.  We sell ads based on impressions, not clicks/results.  So even if you don't click the ads you hurt our entire site by running a blocker.  Running adblock on a site that supports itself with advertisements is no different than downloading pirated movies, music or video games.  You are in a sense stealing our content that we work hard to create and pay to an entire team to create.

This is a horrible comparison.  They are not the same at all. 

As stated by others, ads are about annoyance and security.  Nothing ever has to happen on your end for you to end up inadvertantly serving us malware/injection through a third party provider.

Personally, I run Adblock+ and Noscript with some extra filters.  I already made it so I'm not forced to see certain things you added for when people are not logged in.  I could easily do so for whatever you add in the future with a few seconds of element inspection and an added filter to catch and collapse it so I never see it.  I could do that for the background ads you use, but I do not.  I don't find them obtrusive as they are static and not garish.  It's all a fine line really.  I do not envy your situation and feel for your need to generate income.

However.  I am appalled by your statement quoted above about theft.  To that end, I will not be reading or posting to this site ever again.  I will not be participating in what you liken to theft.  There are way better ways to go about this.

Feel free to delete my account.  Good luck with your site.

Originally posted by paroxysm

It does not matter if you click the ads.  We sell ads based on impressions, not clicks/results.  So even if you don't click the ads you hurt our entire site by running a blocker.  Running adblock on a site that supports itself with advertisements is no different than downloading pirated movies, music or video games.  You are in a sense stealing our content that we work hard to create and pay to an entire team to create.

As stated by others, ads are about annoyance and security.  Nothing ever has to happen on your end for you to end up inadvertantly serving us malware/injection through a third party provider.

Personally, I run Adblock+ and Noscript with some extra filters.  I already made it so I'm not forced to see certain things you added for when people are not logged in.  I could easily do so for whatever you add in the future with a few seconds of element inspection and an added filter to catch and collapse it so I never see it.  I could do that for the background ads you use, but I do not.  I don't find them obtrusive as they are static and not garish.  It's all a fine line really.  I do not envy your situation and feel for your need to generate income.

However.  I am appalled by your statement quoted above about theft.  To that end, I will not be reading or posting to this site ever again.  I will not be participating in what you liken to theft.  There are way better ways to go about this.

This pretty much sums up the 'entitlement' issue that we see everyday in the world.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

This pretty much sums up the 'entitlement' issue that we see everyday in the world.

It has nothing to do with entitlement and everything with respect and good manners. Which the Admin showed not.

• CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152
    whitelisted thanks guys for all the hard work you out into the site

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017
    Originally posted by Zetsuei

You need to admit everyone involved in this topic has acted pretty poorly. What the admin said was severely inappropriate and it was a insult to everyone who visits this site. I side myself the people taking offense being called a pirate. It was something that shouldn't have been said and the fact he hasn't issued a apology speaks volumes. That's not to say that the community has acted maturely also. There have been quite a lot of drama queens in this topic saying they will leave the site over this. If this is even a factor in you leaving the site you didn't add anything to this community anyway.

No not everyone...

A lot of people probably don't have a problem with ads.  The thing is they rely on flash ads which programs like noscript block for a reason.  They pose a risk.  With that said this sites had some big issues with malware in the past. Not so much related to ads but in general. Honestly, a few hours ago I wrote a really long post and just canceled it. Came off kind of rant'ish. I'm not a very good writer either. I will try again as well as try and keep it short.

Is MMORPG.com not in the advertisement business? Is this not their site? Why is their main source of income a 3rd party advertiser if they are advertisers themselves? Middle-man for the middle-man anyone? Why is it not just another source of income and it doesn't really matter if those flash ads get blocked or not.

Where is the donation feature for users who would like an ad free experience. I am not one of them but many have already stated they would participate in such a feature.   As long as it doesn't become something that posters can hold over other posters heads, where is the issue with this?  

Where are the referral links for companies who have such programs or would be interested? Put the links up on the overview page. Doesn't have to be anything flashy.  If someone clicks it and it takes them to the main game site to make a purchase and they do,  MMORPG.com gets a small fee.  

Companies ignoring this site because it does not have a large enough as well active user base? How much talent or good posters has this site cultivated from the current user base in an attempt to draw more people in?  Did the Admin even talk to that guy who did that 3D MMORPG.com graphic awhile back? I know some mod somewhere knows exactly what I am talking about.  The guy said that he basically just did it in his spare time.  It was really, really good.  No use for someone like that to help draw new visitors in?  Maybe short animations or something?

What about someone like Quizzical?  He breaks down fairly technical stuff into very easy to consume fashion.  He doesn't show a bias based on brand name.  He goes out of his way to help others with builds so that they know exactly what they are buying and why.  The staff here know that he is knowledgeable.  It's kind of freaking hard to miss. He creates well written posts. Let him do hardware news or something and give him a front page slot. See if he can help get discussion flowing. For that matter they can't see if any hardware vendors might be interested in a trial run for a couple of review articles done by him? With a referral link kind of deal.  As long as they don't mind that he can speak his mind freely, what would the problem with that be? Some company out there has to be interested. 

I do admit that I assume that he would be interested.  Sorry Quizzical if I am out of place saying so.

Matter of fact in general why is most of the staff so scarce on this site.  I see a lot of moderation but very little activity from the admin and staff within the community itself. I do admit MikeB pops his head in and out of threads from time to time but not very often. Amana seems like a pretty fair mod but never really says much. Is he or she not allowed to post on their official accounts?

What about that Steam community group or is that just a clique type thing. I joined it brieftly just to see what all if anything special was happening events or whatever and chat was dead. I didn't really see any event posts other than someone posting about trading games.. I mean really?

Those are just  a few instances that came to mind immediately.  There are a decent amount good quality posters and  talent that has stood out in the past.  I do have a bad memory however.  Quizzical just stands out.  So why not give the people that stand out a spot to promote themselves if they want to as well as help promote the site. If it starts drawing in more users wouldn't that help give this site  more opportunities. I forgot though it's all about posting pages of tits and ass photos when the staff  goes to a gaming convention. This site lists 100+ mmo's and the Admin can't figure out how to monetize that? Seems more like missed opportunity to me.   

"We're pirates because third party ads from a third party site for a third party site don't work on some peoples browser."  I think him saying it was a calculated move to try and put people on a guilt trip using the "P" word.  Not saying I have all the answers by any stretch.  But I don't need to be an expert to know that they aren't coming anywhere close to the potential that this site has and that's without driving away it's user base or insulting them.

Ahh f... it. tired and it's longer than I wanted and probably a bit rant'ish though not my intention.. :S Anway pretty much done posting in this topic.  It's all been said over and over.. I just think something is really wrong with the way this site opperates if those flash ads is this sites main source of income and not just another form of income.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Connmacart

It has nothing to do with entitlement and everything with respect and good manners. Which the Admin showed not.

There is also the malware side of things, adds from third parties, which the admins have already admitted, the adds are sourced from another location, they just 'display' them. Firefox is probably one of the most secure browsers, mostly down to the add-ons that increase the browser protection, from ad block plus, to ghostery, and of course, no script.  even on this page ghostery shows me that its blocked 4 trackers - google adsense/analytics quantcast and viglink.. which compared to other sites is actually very few i've seen ghostery report blocking over a dozen sometimes (newspapers websites can be terrible for that!). Well that may sound like paranoia level of browser security, but, you do hear a lot of how people were hacked via drive by malware, just from visiting a web page, so yeah, i also use web of trust... image

Part of the problem is that a good many web pages out there are just advertising 'land mines'  add ons like adblock and there are several varieties of it, exist to protect the user from, not just annoying adverts that try to dominate the web page your looking at, but pop ups pop  unders, and other slightly dodgy methods often more associated with malware than real advertising, its good that THIS website isnt one of those, but it also means that there will be people that don't feel comfortable with removing something that they consider to be protecting their computer, even if it isnt.. much. image

• kyrawolfkyrawolf Member UncommonPosts: 23

I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee, if it weren't too high.  But I won't stop blocking ads.  If your unblocking attempts get overly annoying or restrictive, I'll sadly remove mmorpg.com from my bookmarks.

Also, I have to wonder...how do you know?  How much personal information from my browser are you folks collecting?

This does not make me a  happy camper.

I didn't realize asking people to support contents that this site provide is 'not respectful or good manners'.

Respect and good manners goes both ways but then again, the 'entitlement' issue that gamer has is wide spread so I can understand if you don't see it.

Gdemami -

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

I don't mind the CEO/Admin calling me a Pirate. He is not lying, I am one! ;)

Yaarrrr! 

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation

I didn't realize asking people to support contents that this site provide is 'not respectful or good manners'.

Respect and good manners goes both ways but then again, the 'entitlement' issue that gamer has is wide spread so I can understand if you don't see it.

I didn't realize calling people who run adblockers stealing pirtaes was respectful. Respect is given not demanded, but if someone isn't respectful in the first place, than don't expect respect back. I can understand if you don't understand that though, since you didn't see it that way in the first place.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Removed.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by JayBirdz
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Icewhite

This site goes a long way towards proving that no one is ever a villain from his own point of view.

From other people's viewpoints...not so much.  Fascinating social commentary.

I agree completely.

So often today people think they are entitled to consume content for free. They never see themselves as villians (pirates if you will) when they get something for nothing, and blame someone else for not providing them the alternative they expect.

Fact is, visiting a web site with an ad blocker in place is stealing the content for free, no matter how much they don't want to accept it, it is still true.

See here is the problem with this..  I'm not blocking ads so much as noscript is preventing all scripts from running. I could careless if ads were working.  Matter of fact all ad frames are still in place, just blank.  I never saw the banner people are talking about.  I turned off noscript briefly to see if that was what was stopping ads and it is.  I'm not leaving it off.  It's a first line of defense, not going to happen.  It would be absurd if I asked them to compensate me if I get infected from something on their site. It's just as absurd to call me a pirate for protecting myself.  

There is more than enough middle ground here to find a way that their ads work along side noscript without me having to turn off noscript.  I visit other sites which have ads that work just fine.  I don't know why those work and the ones here don't.  Never really thought about it or looked into it.

This site has been targeted a lot in the past as I mentioned in an earlier post. Literally one of the main reasons I switched browsers and started using noscript. Not so much through ads but through ActiveX malware ect.  Has it been lately?  I couldn't tell you. The sites got a bad track record though. It really was laughable at one point as to how often this site was being hit.  I'm sure you were around for that.  Seemed like every week maybe even every other day there was a new post pointing out that there was some malware (ActiveX bar) asking people to install it.

I completely allow sites like YouTube in noscript when TotalBiscuit asked because I trust YouTube to squash issues with their site pretty much as soon as they come up. In the past on MMORPG.com I have seen some questionable junk even those ActiveX popups sit around for a day or two before getting any attention. 

I get the Admins fustration but asking people to turn something like noscript off or you are a pirate is a bit much given all that.  There is more than enough middle ground here.

You are far too paranoid.

I've been visting this site for over 6 years, and as you can see from my post count it must be pretty freaking often. 

Not one single infection from an ad on this site, not one in 6 years. And I only have average anti-virus controls in place.

So how much of a guarentee are you looking for?

I'll grant you, visiting porn sites like [mod edit] probably gets you infected, but here is as safe as YouTube or anywhere else.

Take off the tin foil hat and white list the site, it's safe to go back into the water.

And to the folks with all the self righteous indigination over the comment by the Admin, to quote CCP, "Harden the F up!"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    i still refuse to whitelist you guys . the reason? because you already make up alot of money by taking bribes from mmo companies to write favor articles for them and make us do the wrong decision by buying a crapy game . how many times have you done this to us? swtor ? aion ? tabula rasa? diablo 3 ? the list will get pretty long . 

Sigh, unless you have proof of such allegations, you are committing libel against the operators of the site.

Just because you are hiding behind your computer doesn't give you the right to behave in an uncivil manner.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

My 2 cents - I don't mind the ads nor would I block them. Nothing is free in life, and the people who maintain this website need to feed thier families. Blocking ads and still participating in the discussions on this website is lame.

Either unblock the ads or find a new forum to discuss MMOs, blockers should be ashamed of themselves, but they won't, pirates ruin it all for everyone else and laugh about it.

I'm not unblocking the ads and I'm sticking around. A yo ho ho, a pirate's life for me.

But you know; for piracy to be piracy you have to steal something and then profit from it. Or at least use it. 

I'm looking at information. 

In other words.. 

Fucking idiots. Did I just pirate an image?! Nope. I hyperlinked to it. Honestly the vocabulary  used in this thread is disgusting.

a yo ho ho

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    first website that i browse everyday,so i unblock,i didnt know about all this..i like reading all the news about games and stuff..
This discussion has been closed.