Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm pretty much done.

Comments

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by drakaena

You are playing it wrong! 

But seriously, gear progression is ingrained into our nerdy DNA. Wasn't it cool when Bilbo discovered Sting in a Troll cave or The Ring in the escape from the Goblins by Golems lake. What about when Gandalf returned with White robes or Aragon forged the Kings sword. Those were all gear upgrades! And memorable ones at that. We like this sort of thing. We really do.

That, and social connections are what keep people playing these types of games longterm.

GW2 is sorely lacking in these two areas IMO. 

It has gear progression, just not tiered gear progression like most MMOs.

The only lack in social interaction is the lack of effort that people put into it themselves.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

GW2 is a good game, that should have been great, at least imho.

As it is, I agree with the disconnect with the world that others have written about. I am enjoying it immensely, but I am enjoying it not as an MMORPG, but basically as a LAN game I am playing with my wife and two RL friends. We have little need to interact with anyone else, we four man dungeons, and have a great time. But it does not feel like I am part of a world, or even having an effect on the world at all. All the hype about DEs involving your character in the world and being able to change the world is just the vaporware promises of a marketing department. Sure, they are better than PQs, but they are not significantly different in concept or execution, they are just more involved.

And WvWvW is fun, and I like to play for just fun, but it will not hold me the way DAOC did, not by a long shot.

Anet tried some new things, and for that I respect them. But in the end, I think the lack of trinity is not--at least anecdotally--looked upon as being well executed.  Everything feels to me like it almost succeded, but fell short.

I also agree that if this had been a P2P game, it would have suffered at least an equal fate to SWTOR. As it is, they can count it a success because they got their box sales. But if they do not get their shit together, it could be bad for them long term.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by SteeJanz
    Originally posted by eggy08

Lol, first point: so basically if you don't do any of these 3 things... your standing there doing nothing then? Not much else to do besides those 3 things, so I can imagine why you can't get through the first mobs of the dungeon.

I don't know if you can really call it a "heal, dps and control" trinity. dps and control fit, healing does not. Support I'd argue for, but even that is more or less not entirely necessary. Saying that a class is a support because it brings buffs isn't entirely true. Saying a person is a control since he has an interrupt/stun/knockdown in his bar that he uses occassionally, isn't entirely a control class. People are basically a mixup of all 3 things, or at least can be, not set to that specific role. If you only do one, then your not playing your class effectively.

And I have run many instances (including explorer) where these roles had no real bearing. I have never said nor has anyone really taken upon themselves to play only one specific role. Sometimes we have no roles at all and can still take down the dungeon. Control is a hard to master role for most. And saying that someone MUST be that role, is like saying that someone must always take the damage. Well of course people are going to take damage, but that doesn't mean that they are a control class. They aren't taking upon themselves to tank the boss, they are just trying to keep themselves alive. It's not a role, unless you specifically roll only tanking and cc abilities.

GW2 is a very soft trinity, but there are not specific roles that certain classes must abide to. Its bogus to say that a class must follow a certain role and that the group must abide to these roles exclussively. That will make the dungeon seem worse than it is. You don't play a specific role, you play them all. Thats what GW2 gave to you. If you want to force roles on people, then it's going to take the game back to every other MMO, where individuality is shunned and the only thing your going to be asking for all day is for "a control warrior or guardian". If everyone can properly play every "role" rather than only doing one, your group will work out 10x better than the latter.

I absolutely still stand by what I said.  All three of them are required.  I never said that the each of those must be provided by an individual.  On the contrary, what people struggle with is the fact that everyone has to actively participate in all three to be successful (enjoyable dungeon runs).  But I can absolutely say that if heals are not used, you won't make it through the dungeon.  I can absolutely say that if you don't dps, you won't make it through a dungeon.  I can absolutely say that if you don't find a way to control the boss, you may not make it through the dungeon.  If a group has all three and everybody actively participates in facilitating each one, then dungeons go much smoother.  The problem is that people don't do that and then complain.  The advantage to the Holy Trinity is that people understand what their role is and what is expected of them.  It is harder to determine that in GW2, especially when it happens on the fly.    It's a bit of a stretch on my part say that you wouldn't make it through the first mob but, it certainly wouldn't go as smoothly.  :)

more i play more game seems to rely on more of a dual role system as opposed to trinity.. if you can run good control and dps you can get by in most encounters I have been though unless you count your self heal as "support".. support obviously helps and makes things much easier but hasn't seemed to been a required component as much as dps and control are essential in most group conflicts I have experienced.. I haven't experienced a good portion of the dungeons though so support may be more necessary in others.

I have experienced most of the dungeons on explorable mode. For the most part its a zerg. And the need for combo fields is GREATLY exaggerated. A lot of times we didn't bother.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

You are playing it wrong! 

But seriously, gear progression is ingrained into our nerdy DNA. Wasn't it cool when Bilbo discovered Sting in a Troll cave or The Ring in the escape from the Goblins by Golems lake. What about when Gandalf returned with White robes or Aragon forged the Kings sword. Those were all gear upgrades! And memorable ones at that. We like this sort of thing. We really do.

That, and social connections are what keep people playing these types of games longterm.

GW2 is sorely lacking in these two areas IMO. 

The only lack in social interaction is the lack of effort that people put into it themselves.

I think that is partly true, but that said, the mechanics of the game do not require interaction. I have made the occasional effort to communicate with other players, and never gotten a response. I feel like I am playing with NPCs.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    GW2 is not for everyone. Still many peeps in-game have no clue how condition/damage and combos work. Asking for healer in /map won't help at all. Dungeons is about condition/damage, not 100% dps fest. The more coordinated the group the better. Once a player knows how her/his profession works, then the best thing I suggest is to group with peeps that use a voice comm.

• Snooze1989Snooze1989 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

In this case, the replacement is far FAR FAR FAR FAR stupider

Other things.  I'm actually a fairly intelligent guy, 

Seems Legit.

In reply to the repair costs, the simple answer is to not die often, it's a pretty easy game in all honesty and it's not hard to press your binded dodge key.

Most of your points OP I disagree on, and call them player faults rather than game faults. Each to thier own.

Also if you think Storm Legions going to save you, think again, Rifts already dying, if not dead, the Dev's do good work bringing out content as much as they do, but everything is too late.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Naral

I think that is partly true, but that said, the mechanics of the game do not require interaction. I have made the occasional effort to communicate with other players, and never gotten a response. I feel like I am playing with NPCs.

just find it odd when people say this in my about 170 hours /age so far I have yet to not get some sort of response if i said something to someone directly. Not saying I'm getting long lasting meaningfull bonds but people are almost always polite and have some sort of reply to whatever I say.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

just find it odd when people say this in my about 170 hours /age so far I have yet to not get some sort of response if i said something to someone. Not saying I'm getting long lasting meaningfull bonds but people are almost always polite and have some sort of reply to whatever I say.

It's not that we can't find people to chat with, it's theres not point. A month in and everything is on farm. No longer need vent to do the dance after seeing it enough times.

Has there ever been this complaint about an MMO before? I can't think of another example. Bad communities, yes. but no community? 

I still don't feel it's an MMO and being compared to one is part of the issue.

But how many  people have complained about this very issue, but it's still everyone else? Come on, man. 

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

GW2 is a good game, that should have been great, at least imho.

As it is, I agree with the disconnect with the world that others have written about. I am enjoying it immensely, but I am enjoying it not as an MMORPG, but basically as a LAN game I am playing with my wife and two RL friends. We have little need to interact with anyone else, we four man dungeons, and have a great time. But it does not feel like I am part of a world, or even having an effect on the world at all. All the hype about DEs involving your character in the world and being able to change the world is just the vaporware promises of a marketing department. Sure, they are better than PQs, but they are not significantly different in concept or execution, they are just more involved.

And WvWvW is fun, and I like to play for just fun, but it will not hold me the way DAOC did, not by a long shot.

Anet tried some new things, and for that I respect them. But in the end, I think the lack of trinity is not--at least anecdotally--looked upon as being well executed.  Everything feels to me like it almost succeded, but fell short.

I also agree that if this had been a P2P game, it would have suffered at least an equal fate to SWTOR. As it is, they can count it a success because they got their box sales. But if they do not get their shit together, it could be bad for them long term.

i think most of the players feel almost the same. but its B2P so they continue to play, even less every day.

you are right about what would happen if it was a P2P game. the game would be already sinked to bottom.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

just find it odd when people say this in my about 170 hours /age so far I have yet to not get some sort of response if i said something to someone. Not saying I'm getting long lasting meaningfull bonds but people are almost always polite and have some sort of reply to whatever I say.

It's not that we can't find people to chat with, it's theres not point. A month in and everything is on farm. No longer need vent to do the dance after seeing it enough times.

Has there ever been this complaint about an MMO before? I can't think of another example. Bad communities, yes. but no community? 

But how many  people have complained about this very issue, but it's still everyone else? Come on, man. 

It isn't an issue, people like to make things up or completely blow things out of proportion just to get their point across.

• radman9000radman9000 Member UncommonPosts: 17

Other things.  I'm actually a fairly intelligent guy, and i have mucho experience in MMO's as i've been playing them extensively for the last 13 years.  I've never had an MMO that had so much random stupid shit that you pretty much can't figure out without extensive googling.  Mystic Forge recipes for weapons, etc?  Ha.  I'm guessing the only reason people even had a slight idea what to do with it is because of GW1 players?  Anyways.

GW1 has nothing remotely similar to the mystic forge. Figuring out recipes in it (from what I can tell) is just trial and error, which is something a lot of people spent time with during the betas.

umm yea seen this complaint in every themepark MMO released since wow... doesn't mean it's true for any of them

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

just find it odd when people say this in my about 170 hours /age so far I have yet to not get some sort of response if i said something to someone directly. Not saying I'm getting long lasting meaningfull bonds but people are almost always polite and have some sort of reply to whatever I say.

All lies, I never respond to you.

All lies, I never respond to you.

haha such a liar! spent almost half those 170 hours talking to people:) that's actually probably pretty accurate honestly

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

For example.  The whole "we got rid of trinity" thing.  OK, we've well established lots of people hate Trinity, and i'm fine with getting rid of it IF you have something better to replace it with.  Or at least equal.  In this case, the replacement is far FAR FAR FAR FAR stupider.  The whole grouping dynamic in this game is just quirky and retarded and doesn't work for shit.  Its like replacing a steering wheel with an acceleration/brake lever and a joystick for steering.  Can it work? yes, is it better than a steering wheel and brake/gas pedals.  Not by a long shot.  I did story mode Arah with a surprisingly competent pug last night, and i was ready to start punching kittens by the time i was halfway through it.

Second thing.  I'm tired of being constantly on the verge of being broke.  This game has been a lesson in frustration on the aspect of money.  Everything in the game is designed to nickle and dime you to hell and back, and frankly its bullshit.  Repair costs, especially once you hit 80 and have rare or better armor, are through the friggin roof.  Transport costs are even more bullshit.  Let me give a point of reference.  Doing a level 80 event in one of the high end zones nets you something on the order of 1.75s.   In my current setup 1 death costs me 1s34c.  One port in the very same zone, if im super close to the node is about 1.5s but sometimes close to 2s.   Lets say i wanna go back to a city for some reason.  3s24c.

Now, you say, "oh well sell your blues and loot and crafting mats and you'll be fine!"  Well, thats partially true except the botters which are utterly rampant now, have saturated the market so much that things which you rarely see, like say orichalcum nodes, are basically worthless now.  2 weeks ago you would have netted 7-10s, now, its more like 1-2s for 3 orichalcum ores.  The game literally punishes you, or at least makes you feel like your being punished for trying to push harder and try more difficult stuff.  IMO its actually worse than a heavy XP penalty (and im an EQ vet so i know full well what im saying right now).  I would rather lose 1/5 of a level's worth of XP every death than have to spend 4-5s per death.

Harsh but fair criticism.

Re: Grouping

I think one of the biggest problems is that the solo part of the game--i.e. exploration and solo fights--is so easy that you can be ultra sloppy with your skill selections and still succeed, but the dungeons are pretty unforgiving. Can they be done? Of course. But you have to plan and readjust your thinking...not something PUGs are known for. The degree of difficulty in even story mode dungeons compared to PVE outside dungeons is at least 5X greater if not more. I think a lot of people in PUGs are surprised by the changes in play style forced on you by dungeons. I don't think it has anything to do with the trinity--it's simply a disconnect between outdoors and dungeon PVE difficulty.

Re: Nickle, Diming and the Economy:

I couldn't agree with you more. Porting and repair costs scale up at a much faster rate than rewards so that by end-game, it is a struggle to come out ahead--it's totally out of whack...I've started walking everywhere image What makes it worse is that what could just be a need for tuning that will come at some point (I think we all know that MMOs tune the lower areas to a much greater extent than the higher ones at launch and GW2 is no exception) leads to uneasy feelings about being scammed by Anet because they are also in the business of selling gold (indirectly through gems but that's not a significant difference) for cash. They should be ultra careful to not do anything that could be construed as a deliberate clamping of the economy to stimulate gem sales.

The other stuff you mention is trivial compared to these two. But your criticism of the grouping problems and  the economy at level 80 are two real problems with the game right now.

Sounds like the balance of good vs. bad just ain't cutting for you any more. I'm still having fun with alts but I hardly ever log my 80 Guardian to do any heavily-botted Orr events.

And yes I agree, a lot of the game is indeed brilliant.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Pro tip:

Orr is not solo friendly.

If you dying anywhere else well..

Now I'm waiting for the posts stating GW2 PvE is easy, waypoints make the world so small ans the game hand held you at every step.

And it is not botters - it is the difference between a TP of about 2 million vs a trade post of tens of thousands.

On the plus side equipment is cheap.

And going to a city is free. Returning not so much.

I keep seeing the haters post "you're not playing it right" well apparently it's true for some people. I have to admit there is a cost of living here but really it's only crazy high if you are constantly buying something (like with cooking) since I've reached level 50 i've noticed a big change in the number of coin i get from everything and i don't DE armor as much as i find ore all over the place. The only time i've ever needed help purchasing anything is when i bought the book for the Traits. The only reason i needed help was due to my crazy shopping sensabilities.  Keep buying things i don't need. Can't help but wonder if this isn't the problem here for the OP as well.

I only use a small number of higher salvage kits on leather and only if they are greens or higher quality the rest are salvaged with the 88c version. I get armor drops constantly that aren't whites, i get weapons all the time. I've reached the state that Veterans can be killed by just me (which surprisingly is hard for some people). And I've learned that when out killing things for gear, humanoids are the best shot at good drops, and wearing an armor set that provides basic protections while giving you a + to the % you need to get better magic drops is essential because those are the ones that bring in money.

As far as recipes go, guess no one here has heard of guildhead.com. pretty much cures any info issues accept where to farm leather or vanilla beans.

Sorry you feel that progression is the only reason people play mmo's  perhaps you'd be happier with multiple spRPGs? Not being snide just thinking what might make you a more happy player.

Finally I have to point out, the reason the number of posts in the TP is so high isn't because of farmers, it's because the TP isn't limited to a single server. I doubt very highly that they can have 600+k players on the same server at once. (the largest listing i've found so far in a single search).

I guess what I'm trying to say is this. There's a set of rules for every game. If you insist on not following them then of course there's going to be problems for you, but really this isn't an issue of the game is broken imo because I like many others on this board read alot about this game long before it came out compiled info to learn how to play. We're not perfect, by any means but we definitely found ways to work around problems using the basic rules of the game.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    The critique of the OP is in accordance of my own experience as well. Fully agree, though I am not entirely done yet, I can see that coming sooner or later.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

In my opinion dungeons in this game become a problem because the people who you group with are not trained in any group play before the dungeon. Everyone has been pretty much just winging it and since there are no real roles this makes random pugs in dungeons even worse. At least in a game with a trinity people are expected to perform a role so they take the right  skills and do it but in this case the groups are aimless and hence float into a train wreck. I am not saying the fault is the lack of a trinity it is not but it is caused by lack of grouping prior to the dungeon.

This is why the lack of a trinity  worked better in City of Villains/Heroes because there most missions are 8 group parties so you are forced to learn to play together and play accommodatingly where if there is lack of a healer or tanker other classes compensate by adding more shields or debuffs or pets. Here we solo a lot even in events rezzing people does not count as group play or occasionally using another player's combo field is not particularly cooperative but rather opportunistic gameplay. This is why dungeons become the bad experience it is.

Chamber of Chains
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by kluu

what the hell?

Hahaa..exactly my thoughts after reading thtat un necessary long winded reply.

too bad you guys dont get it. have fun wiping in explorable dungeons 10x then ragequit. if you dont have the game then it wasnt meant for you anyway.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Im gonna put in a couple cents without responding to any particular post:

1.  The "you don't understand what the game is about / you don't *get* it" response is just getting tired and old.  It smacks of hipsterism and has literally no validity.  Trust me, i "get it", i just think its a shit system that doesnt belong in a real RPG.  But hey, thats just me i guess.

2. The whole "gear progression, x progression and y progression is "OLD" and ingrained into us and that means its bad, cus its old, and this is new, and new is good" load of crap.  You ever heard the phrase, if it ain't broke don't fix it? There is a reason that phrase exists.  BECAUSE ITS TRUE. New for the sake of new is flat out idiocy.  New because its better is fine.  For example, this new bullet proof vest will stop a .44 magnum, whereas the "old" vest would only stop up to a .357 magnum. There is a reason fantasy novels that feature a character who starts out as a nobody farmer/beggar/carpenter/whatever mundane job gets discovered by the local Lord/Magician/Master Blacksmith/whatever and goes on to become captain fuck-awesome and slay the big bad dragon/demon/evil douchebag and be the dude everyone thinks is kickass.  Its a theme that resonates with humanity.

What today's generation seems to want is a story about the dude who is already a noble's son, has a pretty sweet sword already, and then continues for 500 pages about how he goes on a quest to find a new sword that has a blue hilt, because his current one has a red hilt and he just isn't feeling red today.  So, he needs one thats a blue hilt.  Then later he gets sick of that but hears about some pointy ear dudes that might be able to make him a sword with a green hilt.   You know, because "lateral" progression is cool.  Can it cut through a wet paper bag? who cares, as long as it looks cool, thats all that matters.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

yah it gets bland fast ..yah its not one of those mmorpgs you play everyday...but 2 things you wont ever run into or need to do or use  is gear checking from mates and gear score...this is the core that has ruined mmo's..checking to see who can out dps who and who has the largest epeen...skill goes along way ..and most mmo's nowa days you need no skill  involved

im not saying gw2 is perfect in any way because its not

i play gw2 but im rly starting to miss a role to play..im glad its f2p cuz i would rly feel like im being shafted

now im starting to crawl back into the"omGAWD! will they ever bring out a good mmorpg" depression ..still have my fingers crossed for Arche age

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by odinsrath

yah it gets bland fast ..yah its not one of those mmorpgs you play everyday...but 2 things you wont ever run into or need to do or use  is gear checking from mates and gear score...this is the core that has ruined mmo's..checking to see who can out dps who and who has the largest epeen...skill goes along way ..and most mmo's nowa days you need no skill  involved

im not saying gw2 is perfect in any way because its not

i play gw2 but im rly starting to miss a role to play..im glad its f2p cuz i would rly feel like im being shafted

now im starting to crawl back into the"omGAWD! will they ever bring out a good mmorpg" depression ..still have my fingers crossed for Arche age

I wouldn't hold my breath for Archeage, it's the same old boring combat and rinse repeat quests with sandboxy elements. And it won't be out until late 2014 earliest.

By that time GW2 will have had 4 expansions and like 1000 content updates and no other game will be able to compete with it :P NOTSRS.

But time will tell, right now there's still alot of bugs, botters, hacks etc that has to be sorted out, once they got a grip on that who knows, they might be the fastest company in the world on getting out content patches and they said those patches would be more frequent and dense than even P2P MMO's. Here's hoping for a DF style dungeon, sPVP rankings and ladders with spec. mode.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Karteli

GW2 is pretty much a single player game, converted into an MMO.  Everyone, every player is pretty much anonymous, outside of the people you see directly in front of you, or the folks in a localized chat window.  Even then with the people in front of you, it's impossible to inspect their gear or achievements.

[ ... ]

Can people please stop saying that? It's hyperbolic rubbish and shouldn't count as an argument for anything. It doesn't even feel like an opinion anymore ... more like a figure of speech or a provoking catch-all-phrase that is used on every single MMO where the most menial content is plainly soloable.

I have never experienced an MMO where a player wasn't anonymous when he wasn't standing in front of me or talking in general chat (zone chat, map chat, it's all the same). I agree that I (should) miss gear-inspect. But that's just because I've gotten so very used to it in the past. I've never had the feeling I NEEDED it for anything useful. It's a nice gimmick to have like the group finder but its absence is not an indicator of a "single player game".

Personally, I feel this is the most multiplayer-scentric MMO I've ever played. BEcause people are able to gain something from it, they actually stop and help others even if not necessarily needed. In no other MMO (EVER) would I have been resurrected by a stranger. I don't get where this "singleplayer-MMO" bullsh*t comes from.

@OP:

Don't like it for the game it is and not for the game it's not ... well, at least you've given it an honest try. Just sit back and wait a couple of months maybe. You won't paying a sub until then so it will definitely be worth your while.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

*snip*

Anyways, i just can't bring myself to give a shit anymore.  I log and i don't actually feel like im progressing anything, and to me, thats what the point of an MMO is.  I've hit max level, so i cant progress levels.  Dungeon gear is the same stats as what im wearing so i just get some cool looking armor from it.  And i can't go make money because there is no viable way to do it.  Whether thats by design or just a result of botters fucking the game up, i dont know.

Either way all i can be is happy as hell that storm legion is coming out soon.

You should really stop coming up with BS reasons why you now longer want to play, it does not make you look like the fairly intelligent person that I'm sure you are.

Guild Wars 2 Gold Vid

was posted here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365953/page/1

Have fun on the RIFT gear threadmill.

imageimage
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Indrome
    Originally posted by Karteli

GW2 is pretty much a single player game, converted into an MMO.  Everyone, every player is pretty much anonymous, outside of the people you see directly in front of you, or the folks in a localized chat window.  Even then with the people in front of you, it's impossible to inspect their gear or achievements.

[ ... ]

Can people please stop saying that? It's hyperbolic rubbish and shouldn't count as an argument for anything. It doesn't even feel like an opinion anymore ... more like a figure of speech or a provoking catch-all-phrase that is used on every single MMO where the most menial content is plainly soloable.

I have never experienced an MMO where a player wasn't anonymous when he wasn't standing in front of me or talking in general chat (zone chat, map chat, it's all the same). I agree that I (should) miss gear-inspect. But that's just because I've gotten so very used to it in the past. I've never had the feeling I NEEDED it for anything useful. It's a nice gimmick to have like the group finder but its absence is not an indicator of a "single player game".

Personally, I feel this is the most multiplayer-scentric MMO I've ever played. BEcause people are able to gain something from it, they actually stop and help others even if not necessarily needed. In no other MMO (EVER) would I have been resurrected by a stranger. I don't get where this "singleplayer-MMO" bullsh*t comes from.

@OP:

Don't like it for the game it is and not for the game it's not ... well, at least you've given it an honest try. Just sit back and wait a couple of months maybe. You won't paying a sub until then so it will definitely be worth your while.

[mod edit]

The *most* multiplayer-centric mmo you've ever played?  This has to be the only MMO you've ever played, cus, literally every other MMO i've played was more multiplayer centric than this one.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche