Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if you could carry over X from one game to another?

What if you could take your capped Night Elf Warrior from World of Warcraft and carry over that achievement into having a Dark Elf Guardian in EQ2? 

What if ou could take your millions of ISK from EVE Online and change it into GIL in Final Fantasy XIV?

I'm not proposing this as some sort of expected retro-fitted action for MMORPGs.

But what if MMORPGs and other social games had a certain exchange rate for in game achievements?

Be that levels, currency, item value, DPS ratings and such?

Would you participate? Protest? 

I think it's too far fetched to be implimented as freely as I'm discussing here, but what if we gained a certain gamer clout that could follow us from title to title?

I mean I'd have probably gave RIFT a more fair try if the game didn't feel like I was starting LotRO or WoW all over again. 

a yo ho ho

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Each game is a separate world. Leave it that way. If you want achievement bragging rights join Steam.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    I would not, but that's mainly because I think it makes sense to judge a game based on the experience that the creators intended. So, I don't want a high level character or a million gold because I want to play through the game from start to finish normally. Starting out as a level capped human warrior (just because I have a level capped human warrior in some other game) would mean missing out on the entire experience of progressing through the ranks of this new game as a human warrior, and would leave me unqualified to comment on what I think of the game as a whole.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

that would only work if the games are hosted by the same company... i cant see Eve's devs willing to allow their user base's data to be shared with EA for their games and visa versa... plus that just sounds stupid as hell.. think of the goldseller exploits with that... 

oh look i bought 999999 gabilzion golds from some gold seller in tooty fruity now ill copy it to wow and sell it to noobs for gigawatz of money... 

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Been there done that.  Bought college books with cash made on secondlife.   Sold character on WurmOnline and bought guildwars expansions.  (first case always allowed, second was allowed at time don't track game anymore).  

_______

Jokes aside this works against all developers involved.   The game you're leaving no longer has you achievement trapped, that recurring thought "this game is too similar, and I've already established characters, income, and friends elsewhere".   And the game you're going to can't "Pavlov dog" you into their carefully designed reward+addiction regimen.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."