Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inform me why Windows 8 is bad for PC gaming

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by hfztt Originally posted by bcbully Closed seems silly. What are the real issues?
    The real issue is that Apple and Google have shops on thier OS's that makes them 30% of all apps sold. MS wants to get the same. (At least on thier mobile devices.) In the case of Apple they do buisiness differently on MacOS and iOS, so they kinda have the right idea. MS needs to keep on the same road. What worries Valve, Blizzard and others are that MS with the style of Win 8 to be steering Win against a mobile only world. And that world is to use Win RT according to MS. I think people would be much more calm if Win 8 was a clear desktop OS and then Win RT for teh mobile world. But MS seems to have left the Desktop out in the cold with Win 8.
    Gotcha, An issue of priorities and resource allocation.

It's not the mobile only thing or it's not just the mobile focus.

It's that Microsoft would control the market as well as the platform. Right now, Valve and Blizzard control their own markets. Independent developers more or less control their own market. With Windows 8, the market will be Microsoft. If an indie developer can't pay Microsoft for access to the market, people will not download and install their application. It might be impossible to download and install that indie game without hacking your system. Things that compete directly with Microsoft may suddenly cease to exist because they'll never actually make it to the market.

This is both good and bad. Good, because it will be less likely (not impossible) for bad things to get into the ecosystem. It's bad because Microsoft has their own best interests in mind. They care about companies like Valve only so far as Valve makes them money, and that's it. Microsoft doesn't want people buying games that they don't make money on, they want people buying games for their game platform. Companies like Valve could be at a severe disadvantage in that scenario. That's what Valve is afraid of, being locked out of the ability to even get their product to their customers.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by hauptmann85

I don't really consider myself as a tech-smart guy. So I need to ask you guys who are why the hate for windows 8 is cirulating more so than anything good.

For example, I have no idea what "closed platform" means from this article.

"...concerned that Microsoft's move toward a closed platform will adversely affect game developers and publishers."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/27/valve-blizzard-wary-of-windows-8/

Thanks in advance : )

Have you played with Windows  8 yet?  It does not belong on a PC at all, it is a phone/Tablet OS and nothing more.  Its a piece of crap for regular PC use and even worst for Businesses.

WIndows 8 will like Vista, a very few people will switch to it.

Sooner or Later

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by TdogSkal
    Originally posted by hauptmann85

I don't really consider myself as a tech-smart guy. So I need to ask you guys who are why the hate for windows 8 is cirulating more so than anything good.

For example, I have no idea what "closed platform" means from this article.

"...concerned that Microsoft's move toward a closed platform will adversely affect game developers and publishers."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/27/valve-blizzard-wary-of-windows-8/

Thanks in advance : )

Have you played with Windows  8 yet?  It does not belong on a PC at all, it is a phone/Tablet OS and nothing more.  Its a piece of crap for regular PC use and even worst for Businesses.

WIndows 8 will like Vista, a very few people will switch to it.

Have you used Windows 8 yet?  I've been running RTM on my main PC for a month now.  Use it for production, games, etc.  No problems at all.  Runs everything I've tested as well as 7 did.  So it's not comparable to VIsta.

Please if you are going to criticize something, research it first.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Those saying this is store thing, just like steam - wrong

Steam takes a store cut for selling games, just like a physical store does

Microsoft is trying to take BOTH a store cut AND a platform cut. The platform cut would apply even if you bought a metro game in a box from amazon or whatever.

Console games cost more than pc games, because as well as a retail cut, Microsoft, Sony and nintendo also take a platform cut for the games running on their consoles. They sell their consoles as loss leaders knowing they will make the money back from games sales.

With metro Microsoft want to make the pc like an xbox, where they get a cut for games just running on it. But its not the same thing as a console as Microsoft don't build pcs and sell them on the cheap.

But hey if you want to pay £45 instead of £30 for your games in the future go ahead and support windows 8 with all the turkeys looking forwards to Christmas.
    The other thing with valve. Valve is basicly microsofts old games division. There is no love lost between Gabe Newell and Steve Balmer.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Microsoft wil not close off their desktop OS LOL.. they know its one of the main reasons they have been top of the pile for many years when it comes to desktop and server OS.. If they did it would be like shooting themselves in the head...

Look up Windows RT. They already did it.

Windows 8 RT is not a desktop platform... it is for tablets and phones..

Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by TdogSkal Originally posted by hauptmann85 I don't really consider myself as a tech-smart guy. So I need to ask you guys who are why the hate for windows 8 is cirulating more so than anything good. For example, I have no idea what "closed platform" means from this article. "...concerned that Microsoft's move toward a closed platform will adversely affect game developers and publishers." http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/27/valve-blizzard-wary-of-windows-8/ Thanks in advance : )
    Have you played with Windows  8 yet?  It does not belong on a PC at all, it is a phone/Tablet OS and nothing more.  Its a piece of crap for regular PC use and even worst for Businesses.   WIndows 8 will like Vista, a very few people will switch to it.
    Have you used Windows 8 yet?  I've been running RTM on my main PC for a month now.  Use it for production, games, etc.  No problems at all.  Runs everything I've tested as well as 7 did.  So it's not comparable to VIsta.

To be fair, Microsoft has a history of really screwing up alternating releases of Windows. One release is good, one release is really bad. They've been doing it for almost 20 years. They are well known for it. It may as well be their trademark. "Every other release is usable!"

The switching to Windows 8 thing though...it wouldn't matter if Windows 8 ran perfectly. There's very little incentive to switch systems when the one you have works. Windows 7 is only just now catching up to Windows XP, and Microsoft is going to "end of life" XP soon. If they weren't going to "end of life" XP, it would hang around even longer, because it works. Windows 8 adoption will be slow, unless Microsoft does something to force it along.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by TdogSkal

Originally posted by hauptmann85 I don't really consider myself as a tech-smart guy. So I need to ask you guys who are why the hate for windows 8 is cirulating more so than anything good. For example, I have no idea what "closed platform" means from this article. "...concerned that Microsoft's move toward a closed platform will adversely affect game developers and publishers." http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/27/valve-blizzard-wary-of-windows-8/ Thanks in advance : )
    Have you played with Windows  8 yet?  It does not belong on a PC at all, it is a phone/Tablet OS and nothing more.  Its a piece of crap for regular PC use and even worst for Businesses.   WIndows 8 will like Vista, a very few people will switch to it.

To be fair, Microsoft has a history of really screwing up alternating releases of Windows. One release is good, one release is really bad. They've been doing it for almost 20 years. They are well known for it. It may as well be their trademark. "Every other release is usable!"

The switching to Windows 8 thing though...it wouldn't matter if Windows 8 ran perfectly. There's very little incentive to switch systems when the one you have works. Windows 7 is only just now catching up to Windows XP, and Microsoft is going to "end of life" XP soon. If they weren't going to "end of life" XP, it would hang around even longer, because it works. Windows 8 adoption will be slow, unless Microsoft does something to force it along.

I think a lot of people may skip for this reason.  But this fast bootup time might be reason enough to sway people's decisions.  Especially in the business world.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Microsoft wil not close off their desktop OS LOL.. they know its one of the main reasons they have been top of the pile for many years when it comes to desktop and server OS.. If they did it would be like shooting themselves in the head...

Windows RT isn't a desktop OS.  It's nominally a tablet OS, but doesn't seem to have a point in any market that I'm aware of.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Windows RT is specifically for Tablets running ARM processors. So yes Windows RT has no desktop, only Metro interface and thus requires the Marketplace to install apps on it.

Windows RT is no different than iOS is for the iPad.  What's the problem here? 

Devs make a jitload of money on iOS! Eventho they have to pay 40% to Apple. You don't hear that Minecraft guy complaining there?  Hypocrit!

Windows 8 for PC still has a desktop and so will the tablets running the Pro version (with Intel chips). Which means you DO NOT need to use the marketplace to install apps.

Not to mention that pretty much all Windows 8 / RT tablets will have USB ports, so I am sure people find a way around the marketplace there as well.

So I do not see the problem, other than developers don't want to pay a fee to have their products end up in Microsoft Marketplace! But hypocritically have no issue with Apple's App Store!  /facepalm

Someone gets it. Before people ready their pitchforks and call to burn the witch, read closely what was said above. It is more accurate than any other post before it.

Bottomline: Win 8 will still run apps NOT from its marketplace.

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Caldrin Microsoft wil not close off their desktop OS LOL.. they know its one of the main reasons they have been top of the pile for many years when it comes to desktop and server OS.. If they did it would be like shooting themselves in the head...    
    Windows RT is specifically for Tablets running ARM processors.

So much mis information. WinRT is an api for the metro ui.

You should get your facts straight before claiming mis information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT

Windows RT is Windows 8 for ARM.

This hoopla is nothing more than knee jerk reactions to partial information, and 'what if' scenarios.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Still, if I wanted to refuse to use Windows 8, could I?  I mean is it possible to stay at Windows 7 forever?

Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Still, if I wanted to refuse to use Windows 8, could I?  I mean is it possible to stay at Windows 7 forever?

Sure you can.  There are still people using WIndows 95 somewhere.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

Sure you can.  There are still people using WIndows 95 somewhere.

haha true but no new software works on it...

For now.......
    What's to stop for instance, Microsoft making dx12 metro only, then with win 9 phasing out dx 9 support, then later dx 11.
    Or just dropping dx support in the desktop altogether, making some equivelent new thing for metro and having metro run dx games in compatabilty mode.

sure Microsoft aren't going to stop business software working through the desktop with all the bespoke and legacy systems out there, but there is nothing stopping them making new games metro only so that they have to fun on "their platform". Microsoft have long had ambitions to xboxify pc gaming.
  • marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

windows 8.. never ever! i will skip them like i skipped Vista and went directly from XP to W7 :)

Originally posted by Nevulus
    Originally posted by JeroKane Originally posted by hfztt Originally posted by Caldrin Microsoft wil not close off their desktop OS LOL.. they know its one of the main reasons they have been top of the pile for many years when it comes to desktop and server OS.. If they did it would be like shooting themselves in the head...    
    Windows RT is specifically for Tablets running ARM processors. So yes Windows RT has no desktop, only Metro interface and thus requires the Marketplace to install apps on it. Windows RT is no different than iOS is for the iPad.  What's the problem here?  Devs make a jitload of money on iOS! Eventho they have to pay 40% to Apple. You don't hear that Minecraft guy complaining there?  Hypocrit! Windows 8 for PC still has a desktop and so will the tablets running the Pro version (with Intel chips). Which means you DO NOT need to use the marketplace to install apps. Not to mention that pretty much all Windows 8 / RT tablets will have USB ports, so I am sure people find a way around the marketplace there as well. So I do not see the problem, other than developers don't want to pay a fee to have their products end up in Microsoft Marketplace! But hypocritically have no issue with Apple's App Store!  /facepalm
    Someone gets it. Before people ready their pitchforks and call to burn the witch, read closely what was said above. It is more accurate than any other post before it.

Bottomline: Win 8 will still run apps NOT from its marketplace.

Some actual, researched facts.
    • "Metro" apps must be signed with a registered developer certificate. It doesn't matter if you're installing that app on a phone, a tablet or a PC.
    • Side loading "Metro" apps on a PC requires the user to edit the registry to allow signed, side loaded apps to run.
    • Desktop apps will be installed the same way they always have and aren't treated any differently.

Given how slow new releases of Windows are adopted, it will be awhile before "Metro" style apps are the default. It may be forever. It really depends on how much things get pushed to the Metro style apps.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    What's to stop for instance, Microsoft making dx12 metro only, then with win 9 phasing out dx 9 support, then later dx 11. Or just dropping dx support in the desktop altogether, making some equivelent new thing for metro and having metro run dx games in compatabilty mode.sure Microsoft aren't going to stop business software working through the desktop with all the bespoke and legacy systems out there, but there is nothing stopping them making new games metro only so that they have to fun on "their platform". Microsoft have long had ambitions to xboxify pc gaming.

There isn't anything other than Microsoft that could stop Microsoft from closing their system off. I don't think it's likely to happen any time soon, mostly because of game developers. Game developers still have options, and they are generally pushing the edge of what can be done on systems. They could just jump to OpenGL for games. They could even just make the jump to Linux or Cross Platform development. Microsoft will restrict development on their game console to their tools, but they can't do this if the hardware platform itself remains open. If Microsoft loses major game developers, their system suddenly loses a large part of the market. I don't think they're ready to do that.

• SenkenshaSenkensha Member UncommonPosts: 14

I feel like all of the criticisms regarding Windows 8 comes from kids who aren't willing to actually TRY the new operating system and just look at screenshots and say "Wow, I don't have a touch screen, this must be a bad operating system.  I really like Windows 7 because I've used it for years and I don't like change."

Here's a thought.  TRY IT!!!  It's really not that bad.  I don't have a touch screen.  I use a mouse and keyboard.  I like VIDEO GAMES.  And I play them, a lot.  And they work well.

Just sayin', your criticisms make ZERO sense and sound like a whiny five year old who doesn't understand computers.  Thanks for playing.  Have a fantastic day.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Ikonis

Originally posted by Caldrin Microsoft wil not close off their desktop OS LOL.. they know its one of the main reasons they have been top of the pile for many years when it comes to desktop and server OS.. If they did it would be like shooting themselves in the head...    
    You should get your facts straight before claiming mis information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT

Windows RT is Windows 8 for ARM.

This hoopla is nothing more than knee jerk reactions to partial information, and 'what if' scenarios.

Wana Try that again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Runtime

I will admit that the definitions have become distorted, but now that everyone is on the same page..

With WinRT you can deploy in both(or all) environments so i don't see why the quoted posters tablet argument is relevant?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by Ikonis

You should get your facts straight before claiming mis information   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT   Windows RT is Windows 8 for ARM.   This hoopla is nothing more than knee jerk reactions to partial information, and 'what if' scenarios.

Actually he is right WinRT is one of the trade marketed names for Windows Runtime API, Windows 8 RT is a completely different thing.

There is Windows 8 which one of its versions is called Windows 8 RT which is the ARM only version, it comes with the Metro Interface but cannot run any Windows native code.

Tthere is also Windows Phone 8 which has nothing to do with Windows 8 which Windows 8 RT is based on for mobile phones.

The only reason why Windows 8 RT is "closed" is because it does not support native unmanaged code of normal windows applications due to its support for ARM based devices.

Currently the only device that will use Windows RT is the Microsoft Surface(the Surface Pro will use Windows 8 Pro), i actually highly doubt that we'll see many tables with Windows RT even tho its licenses for OEM's are insanely cheap(around 25$)  since Windows 8 RT cannot run any normal windows apps, and even Metro apps have to be specifically coded for Windows 8 RT due to a more limiting API.

Microsoft ATM has created a real mess for developers, Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, Metro Apps for Windows 8, Metro Apps for Window 8 RT(easier to port but still not the same), Windows Phone 8, and Windows Phone 7 all have to be developed for separately..

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

I've been running Windows 8 RP on a test laptop and I haven't had any issues with it.  Sure you're greeted with the Live Tiles upon login and everything else is a metro app, and there's a Marketplace where you can download free and paid for apps like on iOS or Android, but I haven't  had any issues installing and running anything that works with Windows 7.

Installed Diablo 3 and was able to run it (though the laptop itself couldn't handle it) as well as TERA and Guild Wars 2.  Both of which ran fine for the most part.  The laptop isn't really much of a gaming laptop.

The only move twoards a Closed Platform that I see is the inclusion of a Market Place.  I doubt Microsoft will do much more than that.  Would be pretty stupid on their part imo.

As for Linux as a rival.  Some of the distros like Ubuntu and its siblings are fairly user-friendly.  I believe the average computer user would be able to use them with minimal effort in comparison to the effort they would use to do the same thing in Windows.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

The PC is an open platform and should remain an open platform, Also Microsoft have stipulated that they will not give certification to any game that has an 18 rating.  Its not about whether the OS is good or not, its the direction its going and how its going to impact on the industry, and more importantly  how its going to impact on us as PC gamers.

Here is an interesting news item from the UK's BBC news site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19760977

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I deal with normal people and the issues they are having with their computers on a daily basis. These people range from the tech savy to the completely computer illiterate. The vast majority of these people will absolutely despise Windows 8. Why you ask? Because it is very different than what they have gotten comfortable with in a Windows PC. Buying a new computer with Windows 8 preinstalled will violently knock them out of their comfort zone. Windows 8 will be another ME/Vista in the traditional PC market for this reason.

Now in the Tablet and Smart Phone markets it will be well recieved however and people will love it. Why you ask? Because the new UI is taylor made for these devices. It basically takes the multi-desktop setup of Android and evolves it to the next level. This will be seen as a huge step in the right direction for the mobile markets.

As for gaming on Windows 8 you may want to wait awhile. As others have stated there will be some major issues for the first year after release as there always is with a new OS from Microsoft. Although Windows 8 does offer some gains in the resource management area they will not be really significant as far as gaming is concerned.

Microsoft really has their heads up their respective asses on this one. The new UI while very good on touch devices is going to cause a huge backlash from traditional mouse and keyboard users. This could be easily avoided by just enabling the traditional start menu on regular PC devices or by at least giving users their choice of interfaces but for whatever reason they have decided to force it on everyone equally. This is going to make Windows 8 one of the worst fiascos in Microsoft's history when it starts to come preinstalled on traditional PC setups. I sincerely hope that the guys and gals at Microsoft have some good heavy duty parkas to put on because they are going to get hit by one hell of a shit-storm here in a few months.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }