Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvE server for darkfall UW?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Have to agree with most others, a PVE server won't work for a title like DFUW, is contrary to the core design philosophy.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Oh look, it's this thread again.

It does pop up often, doesn't it?

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• ExzearExzear Member UncommonPosts: 65

yeah i have to agree, darkfall is a hardcore pvp game.. if that dosnt suit you then darkfall isnt a game for u anyway.. one of the best things about darkfall is never being/feeling safe.. 

Youtube.com/TheNorseGamer

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

pve server no, pve starter areas where the risk is lower in proportion to lower rewards - yes

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by googie23
    its a great way to bring alot of new players into the darkfall world and when they are ready they can  come to the PvP server and start a new character. never make an option to transfer from PvE to PvP.

If you dont like Mexican food, dont go to a Mexican restaurant and ask them to make you spaghetti.

There are a 1000 carebear games out there, why do you people insist on trying to change the few PVP ones?

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

The reason why there will be no pve server, is because we need your blood in order to enjoy everything about DF.

We dont want to hunt down wolfs only, we to hunt sheep mostly. Sheeps like the guy who created that thread.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Darkfall sorts the true pvper from the wanna be's. So many new people will try the game and be scared for life.

• TopherpunchTopherpunch Member UncommonPosts: 86

There are two very good sides to this arguement. Some people might think the creators of this game are "Hardcore" PvPers or some sort of cut throat group of people with no remorse. The truth is these Devs are old UO players. With that in mind they must have been addicted to Felucca which was a hardcore PvP environment where the rules didn't matter. This was somewhere you would go to live if you decided you wanted to. Also it was an outlet for reds. If you think about it though Felucca would have not survived if it was not for Britiannia, which was the PvE mirror of Felucca. That is how the game was so successful, the two meshed so well together. If you wanted to relax, farm and go do things you could, and you could also visit the dark side of UP too in Felucca. So before us hardcores look at the game and say it would be ruined, think of the potential of having a carebear community. Sure they would complain, but if the Devs kept to their hardcore mentality, the game would be amazing for both parties. The game could still be hardcore without killing people. Perhaps you had door lock and lock downs like in UO. Mythic had a really good system and if you look at Darkfall alot of their ideas are embedded into the game.

Don't just brush it off, from another stand point it could increase the sheer mass of the game and make our pockets fat. No one would force you to PvE and honestly this would not ruin the game. This is coming from someone who loves to PvP and enjoys the life as a red. You can have your cake and eat it two, just this way you can steal the cake from some fool who stumbles into "Felucca"

Come check out what I have to say on my blog http://civilgamer.com

Also check out http;//agonasylum.com for Darkfall player trading and stories forums

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

This ridiculous discussion again...

FFA PvP is the core of the game and they will not waste their time on a PvE server. 

Theres plenty of games with PvE servers for you to go play on already. Why would you insist on changing 1 of the only games that is different to be just like all the others? Nearly everything in the game revolves around the ability to kill whoever you want whenever you want. Its not as simple as "Hey lets add a PvP flagging option". The economy, sieges, village battles, etc would all need to be redesigned for it. It would no longer be the same game the rest of us are playing.

• Wizlock23Wizlock23 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

This ridiculous discussion again...FFA PvP is the core of the game and they will not waste their time on a PvE server. Theres plenty of games with PvE servers for you to go play on already. Why would you insist on changing 1 of the only games that is different to be just like all the others? Nearly everything in the game revolves around the ability to kill whoever you want whenever you want. Its not as simple as "Hey lets add a PvP flagging option". The economy, sieges, village battles, etc would all need to be redesigned for it. It would no longer be the same game the rest of us are playing.

This is the truth. This game is ment to be that hardcore game...its not ment to have a pve fluffy town people can run in and hide .this is one game out out thousands that is just PvP ..and people who want pve shouldn't play it. That simple . There is no middle ground, we play daekfal because we like the mechanics of the game and enjoy it for PvP. There are literally so many games to play that offer PvP and pve in the same game, why would anyone want to change this unique game to be more like the rest.....

The argument is just dumb to even have . It won't happen ...and asking for it is not having our cake an eating it too...it's giving up the one of very few pure PvP games and wanting it to be more like others so I no longer enjoy it , so someone else can .seems selfish .
  • AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    So does this mean all the people complaining about the open world pvp in wow, rift,gw2 etc. Can stfu and go play DF?
  • hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by Ausare
    So does this mean all the people complaining about the open world pvp in wow, rift,gw2 etc. Can stfu and go play DF?

in your dreams. There are already different games for the crowd that don't like this pointless pvp that wow and its followers provide. 

Also darkfall is not just world pvp... is a full loot game with no safezone and an IMENSE grind, also takes skill (or cheats) to play it and have fun with it.

So yeah... you'll still hear lots and lots of complain about those games you mentioned and also about Darkfall, people won't stand it and will cry rivers here.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    #1 reason this will always be a niche game with a low playerbase.  PVE is where the millions play.   Its ok though have your game when the population sucks youll move on and everyone will forget about DF.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by 123443211234

Sorry to burst your bubble but DF1 did not fail it is stil going.  People that seem to want to change the ruleset of DF just don't get we aren't looking for millions of players not even hundreds of thousands just.....thousands of like minded individuals that want to play in a harsh environment where it takes actual skill to survive and thrive.

We like our niche game, aren't looking to make bazillions of dollars just a ffa full loot niche game.

DF was barely scraping by.

The reason DF:UW is being made in the first place is because DF was broken beyond repair. Tasos has said that himself. There was so much that needed to be fixed that it was actually better/easier for them to just make a new game.

I personally applaud Tasos and AV for doing that. To be able to admit (however long it took them to) that your game is simply "too broken", and maintain the morale to say "you know what, we're gonna do it over, and do it right this time", when they could just as easily have bailed and saved everyone the time and effort is a great show of character, in my opinion. I wish them the best of luck with it and will certainly check it out. I liked the setting/theme of DF. It was just too screwed up in too many ways to be very enjoyable to me for very long.

I'm not arguing for a PvE server. I agree it would completely defeat the purpose of an open PvP game. But let's not kid ourselves. Saying "DF is still going" is like saying someone surviving on life-support is still breathing. It's technically correct, but doesn't change the fact that they're barely making it.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Topherpunch

There are two very good sides to this arguement. Some people might think the creators of this game are "Hardcore" PvPers or some sort of cut throat group of people with no remorse. The truth is these Devs are old UO players. With that in mind they must have been addicted to Felucca which was a hardcore PvP environment where the rules didn't matter. This was somewhere you would go to live if you decided you wanted to. Also it was an outlet for reds. If you think about it though Felucca would have not survived if it was not for Britiannia, which was the PvE mirror of Felucca. That is how the game was so successful, the two meshed so well together. If you wanted to relax, farm and go do things you could, and you could also visit the dark side of UP too in Felucca. So before us hardcores look at the game and say it would be ruined, think of the potential of having a carebear community. Sure they would complain, but if the Devs kept to their hardcore mentality, the game would be amazing for both parties. The game could still be hardcore without killing people. Perhaps you had door lock and lock downs like in UO. Mythic had a really good system and if you look at Darkfall alot of their ideas are embedded into the game.

Don't just brush it off, from another stand point it could increase the sheer mass of the game and make our pockets fat. No one would force you to PvE and honestly this would not ruin the game. This is coming from someone who loves to PvP and enjoys the life as a red. You can have your cake and eat it two, just this way you can steal the cake from some fool who stumbles into "Felucca"

One of the most hardcore Full loot PvP MMO's was Asherons Call.  AC did nicely and opened up alot player potential because it had a Red (PvP) and White (PvE) servers.  To sound liek the biased individual that I am though, there was only 1 red server and the rest were white which pretty much showed me that PvE centric servers make up the bulk of the playerbase.

I am of the opinion that a PvE server with optional PvP flagging (in the Asherons Call sense of the word and not the WoW sense) would do alot to open DF to a broarder playerbase (and economic stimulus).

Edit: Not that I care to look but I wonder how many here were saying the same thing about GW2 with them opening up a open PvP world.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Pffft, and deprive the 'PVPers' of their cherished ability to gank, grief, and steal from newbies? It'll never happen, more's the pity.
  • king0fmarsking0fmars Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Topherpunch

You are right but the developers do not need to make a huge safe NPC community. The tools to create safe communities need to be given to the clans. Once thriving communities can be sustained inside the game then you will have something special. Strength in numbers. Once the original darkfall died and the masses of players left there was even less left to fight for inside a broken game.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Sorry to burst your bubble but DF1 did not fail it is stil going.  People that seem to want to change the ruleset of DF just don't get we aren't looking for millions of players not even hundreds of thousands just.....thousands of like minded individuals that want to play in a harsh environment where it takes actual skill to survive and thrive.

We like our niche game, aren't looking to make bazillions of dollars just a ffa full loot niche game.

Who are you? You are a developer of the game?

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    I don't see the negative in PVE servers and heres why.  Any money at all that comes in is a plus and helps the games development.   Not wanting PVE servers is ignorant and short sighted.
  • LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by William12
    I don't see the negative in PVE servers and heres why.  Any money at all that comes in is a plus and helps the games development.   Not wanting PVE servers is ignorant and short sighted.

Meh I can see both sides. As a sandbox fan I find elements of Darkfall interesting, but the FFA just kills it for me personal, but I can see where this is the heart of the game for nearly all of the players so I can see where allowing a PvE server would be like offering olympic medals to the kiddie pool. That being said, I think most players should take it a compliment to all the game has to offer that people would like to see more of it in a form they are more comfortable with - PvE. That doesn't mean it should happen though. 

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    A PvE server would be pointless. Name one reason DFO would be fun to play PvE only? The entire core of the game is built around PvP. You would have to develope a completely different game to make PvE only viable. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by khameleon

DF1 was a fail, how they managed to keep it going despite having such low population is however, impressive. But im not entirely sure that it failed because it didnt have Pve areas, i do think though that having them would probably encourage more people to play the game, there are several things that need to be addressed though, and one of them is increasing the games security, as in the games code, the game was hacked too easily, and too often so much so that it became pretty much a standing joke. Then there is the necessity of afk skill grinding, where certain skills had to be increased to insane levels in order to compete with/against other players who were pretty much doing the exact same thing.  DF had a lot of potential but it never realised any of it, at the moment i don't see that DF;UW has even begun to address the issues that plagued DF1. So did DF1 fail.. utterly is the only way to describe it. image

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by xpiher
    A PvE server would be pointless. Name one reason DFO would be fun to play PvE only? The entire core of the game is built around PvP. You would have to develope a completely different game to make PvE only viable. 

I played for a week about a year after release and I enjoyed the open ended world, the random encampments and the different creatures to kill.  The only turn off to me was getting ganked repeatedly and losing my gear.  In and of itself, it wasnt hard to replace the gear but it sure seemed wierd having to regear up after every gank by jsut going to my bank and getting new stuff to wear.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by khameleon

DF1 was a fail, how they managed to keep it going despite having such low population is however, impressive. But im not entirely sure that it failed because it didnt have Pve areas, i do think though that having them would probably encourage more people to play the game, there are several things that need to be addressed though, and one of them is increasing the games security, as in the games code, the game was hacked too easily, and too often so much so that it became pretty much a standing joke. Then there is the necessity of afk skill grinding, where certain skills had to be increased to insane levels in order to compete with/against other players who were pretty much doing the exact same thing.  DF had a lot of potential but it never realised any of it, at the moment i don't see that DF;UW has even begun to address the issues that plagued DF1. So did DF1 fail.. utterly is the only way to describe it. image

One of the main reasons they are releasing DFUW as a seperate game is because they had to entirely recode it. If they did it well, then the easily hacked problem goes away. They already solved the grind issue in DFO, and the tempoary  class system they are putting in DFUW will further reduce the grind (its a very simplistic load out system, even more so than EvE)

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I'm sure the games developers would disagree with you.

What games company in their right mind would want to turn away money? I agree the game rules should not be changed as this changes the whole nature of the game, but don't for one minute think that this game isn't just for a handful of PvP players to be used as thier own personal gankfest, it's aimed at everyone who enjoys more meaningful PvP, you only have to look at EVE to see it can be done.

This discussion has been closed.