Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertisement Blocking Banner Discussion and Feedback

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I wouldn't pay, and no amount of other users stating they'd pay will change my mind.

The ads arent' so annoying to make paying worth it. And if they were, I'd abandon the site.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Yes, this site and many others have had issues with ads trying to distribute viruses and other malware. Thats a fact, sorry. If they need revenue of some kind charge a friggin monthly fee and I'll pay. It isn't about getting one over, to think otherwise is idiotic. It's about blocking these asinine ads that have and will cause issues of one kind or another. Whats funny is I whitelisted MMORPG.com and Boom my flash player crashed lol. Back to being blocked. 

I'll pay, but I'm not going to do so by viewing or allowing ads to show up on my computer.

I cannot answer without getting a bee up my bum. Do what ya gotta do.

[EDIT]
    Couldn't let this go.

Exactly, I mean they are setup to even encourage visitors to pay. Supporter forum tag is always welcomedPriority for Beta keysExtra "Tickets" for contestsAd FreeI'd pay for that, I'm pretty sure many would.
    See? You don't want ad-free. You want special consideration.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

This site goes a long way towards proving that no one is ever a villain from his own point of view.

From other people's viewpoints...not so much.  Fascinating social commentary.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i see alot of people want to pay for mmorpg but they dont want to pay for free ads they want to pay for increased odds at winning contests and special treatment (aka game keys first)  while that seems fair to them. i think thats a very bias and stupid reason to want to pay for a forum. 

if mmorpg was to sell "prem" accounts to remove ads they should be soly for that, you pay X amount and get banner/ad free browsing on the site, it no in no way gives you an instant win at the contests or any extra special treatment. nor should you recieve free game keys that others have no chance to get. 

not everyone can/will pay for a website. and making it that only people paying get game keys or can win contests is going to just drive more users away from the site.

paying for the site to remove ads is fine, paying to get special treatment is stupid.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    Yes, this site and many others have had issues with ads trying to distribute viruses and other malware. Thats a fact, sorry. If they need revenue of some kind charge a friggin monthly fee and I'll pay. It isn't about getting one over, to think otherwise is idiotic. It's about blocking these asinine ads that have and will cause issues of one kind or another. Whats funny is I whitelisted MMORPG.com and Boom my flash player crashed lol. Back to being blocked. I'll pay, but I'm not going to do so by viewing or allowing ads to show up on my computer.
    I cannot answer without getting a bee up my bum. Do what ya gotta do.[EDIT]
    Couldn't let this go.
    Exactly, I mean they are setup to even encourage visitors to pay. Supporter forum tag is always welcomedPriority for Beta keysExtra "Tickets" for contestsAd FreeI'd pay for that, I'm pretty sure many would.

It's Pay2Win man! It infects EVERYTHING, MAN!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Originally posted by Ichmen

paying for the site to remove ads is fine, paying to get special treatment is stupid.

Our whole team feels the same way so rest assured we will only have a nominal payment to remove ads, likely in a 1 or 12 month option via PayPal.

We don't want a "pay to win" website at all.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Icewhite

This site goes a long way towards proving that no one is ever a villain from his own point of view.

I agree completely.

So often today people think they are entitled to consume content for free. They never see themselves as villians (pirates if you will) when they get something for nothing, and blame someone else for not providing them the alternative they expect.

Fact is, visiting a web site with an ad blocker in place is stealing the content for free, no matter how much they don't want to accept it, it is still true.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    I even blocked the attention ho-ho red banner. Come up with a better solution.

lol yea, its rather easy but im afraid its a bit too... big and intrusive, for people who dont know how to do it.

It might easily backfire them, mind you. Its not like this is the only mmo site around, and in this age its relatively easy to promote totally new website, so id be careful with all this 'hey why u block our not so intrusive ads' thing.

At least until they get rid of ads like 'join our game and have an orgy' , or evony-like ads :P 

http://www.wartune.com/cGEx.action?ga=4&cam=Wartune-Test&agn=Good%20Online%20Games&lp=DivosagaG007&placement=adserver.mmo-champion.com&id=13528701861308222196

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I have disabled my ad blocker for this site only. If it weren't for this site I wouldn't have followed an ad link to eve online or world of tanks. I enjoy this site for news, information and to check out  games that may interest me. 

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

What can I do about the flashy ads? The moving ads and stuff are really annoying to me and if it means they're here to stay then I'll be gone.

I don't mind advertisements when they fit into a page nicely, but even without ads your front page is cluttered to the extreme.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Yes, this site and many others have had issues with ads trying to distribute viruses and other malware. Thats a fact, sorry. If they need revenue of some kind charge a friggin monthly fee and I'll pay. It isn't about getting one over, to think otherwise is idiotic. It's about blocking these asinine ads that have and will cause issues of one kind or another. Whats funny is I whitelisted MMORPG.com and Boom my flash player crashed lol. Back to being blocked. 

I'll pay, but I'm not going to do so by viewing or allowing ads to show up on my computer.

I cannot answer without getting a bee up my bum. Do what ya gotta do.

[EDIT]
    Couldn't let this go.

Exactly, I mean they are setup to even encourage visitors to pay.

Supporter forum tag is always welcomed

Priority for Beta keys

Extra "Tickets" for contests

Ad Free

I'd pay for that, I'm pretty sure many would.

Nah all I care about is ad free, I was simply pointing out if they are worried about revenue there are proven models for sites like this that work and allow ad free service.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Rather than describe people using legal services as pirates, why not configure your site to be unusable when adblocker is on, then your problem is solved, you only get those willing to have the ads that fund you, obviously this would mean that you would lose a proportion of the free content that drives people to your site.

*i do not use an adblocker.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I agree completely.

So often today people think they are entitled to consume content for free. They never see themselves as villians (pirates if you will) when they get something for nothing, and blame someone else for not providing them the alternative they expect.

Fact is, visiting a web site with an ad blocker in place is stealing the content for free, no matter how much they don't want to accept it, it is still true.

See here is the problem with this..  I'm not blocking ads so much as noscript is preventing all scripts from running. I could careless if ads were working.  Matter of fact all ad frames are still in place, just blank.  I never saw the banner people are talking about.  I turned off noscript briefly to see if that was what was stopping ads and it is.  I'm not leaving it off.  It's a first line of defense, not going to happen.  It would be absurd if I asked them to compensate me if I get infected from something on their site. It's just as absurd to call me a pirate for protecting myself.  

There is more than enough middle ground here to find a way that their ads work along side noscript without me having to turn off noscript.  I visit other sites which have ads that work just fine.  I don't know why those work and the ones here don't.  Never really thought about it or looked into it.

This site has been targeted a lot in the past as I mentioned in an earlier post. Literally one of the main reasons I switched browsers and started using noscript. Not so much through ads but through ActiveX malware ect.  Has it been lately?  I couldn't tell you. The sites got a bad track record though. It really was laughable at one point as to how often this site was being hit.  I'm sure you were around for that.  Seemed like every week maybe even every other day there was a new post pointing out that there was some malware (ActiveX bar) asking people to install it.

I completely allow sites like YouTube in noscript when TotalBiscuit asked because I trust YouTube to squash issues with their site pretty much as soon as they come up. In the past on MMORPG.com I have seen some questionable junk even those ActiveX popups sit around for a day or two before getting any attention. 

I get the Admins fustration but asking people to turn something like noscript off or you are a pirate is a bit much given all that.  There is more than enough middle ground here.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Admin

It does not matter if you click the ads.  We sell ads based on impressions, not clicks/results.  So even if you don't click the ads you hurt our entire site by running a blocker.  Running adblock on a site that supports itself with advertisements is no different than downloading pirated movies, music or video games.  You are in a sense stealing our content that we work hard to create and pay to an entire team to create.

I understand this is how you make your money, but let's be honest about some things here.

1.  You *CHOOSE* to provide your content free of charge, in the hopes that people will look at the ads.  There is no requirement whatsoever that anyone do so.  Nobody signed a contract with MMORPG.com that obligates them to look at the ads.  Therefore, no one can be stealing your content when you have decided, of your own free will, to give it away without charge.  Making that accusation is blatantly insulting.

2.  Since people have no obligation to you whatsoever to look at ads, they are entirely free to put whatever software on their computers they see fit and if that blocks your ads, that's your problem, not ours.  Most of us have made the decision to use ad-blockers because the ads are annoying and because we're not going to look at them regardless.  The same can be said of television.  I've got no obligation to look at any of the commercials, I can leave the room when they come on and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.  I'm not looking at your ads any more than I'm watching commercials.

3.  If your revenue stream isn't cutting it for you, then by all means make some changes to how you choose to do business.  It's your business model, you control it from your end.  We, as consumers, don't have to play the game you'd wish us to play, no matter how much you'd wish us to play it.  Either it works for you or it doesn't.  If it doesn't, change your  game to one that does.

So I'm going with the same sentiment that others have said, I'm not removing my ad blocker and if that costs me this site, so be it.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

I think it's amusing that a simple thing like "Hey guys, can you turn off ad block here, it'll help us out" turns into a maga debate. 

Is it too much to ask of the community to just say "ok, no problem". Jeez... /rolls eyes

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Psychow

I think it's amusing that a simple thing like "Hey guys, can you turn off ad block here, it'll help us out" turns into a maga debate. 

Is it too much to ask of the community to just say "ok, no problem". Jeez... /rolls eyes

I think it was the ill-judged post on the first page by Admin accusing people of piracy that helped things along.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by RefMinor

I think it was the ill-judged post on the first page by Admin accusing people of piracy that helped things along.

Not to mention the annoying penalty banner they impose on anyone who doesn't follow their "suggestion".  Yes, I saw your request.  Yes I saw your banner.  I am exercising my right to decline your request.  I have no obligation to do so.  So when do I get to turn off the annoying banner?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by Cephus404

Not to mention the annoying penalty banner they impose on anyone who doesn't follow their "suggestion".  Yes, I saw your request.  Yes I saw your banner.  I am exercising my right to decline your request.  I have no obligation to do so.  So when do I get to turn off the annoying banner?

I'm guessing when you comply with their simple request.

As for the CEO's statement, is it really that hard for people to look past and forgive when someone misspeaks? I mean seriously, how can some of these people even function in society if they are going to hang on every word and jump on anyone who uses a poor hyperbole? (note: I similarly dislike it when the media jumps all over some celebrity for some Tweet or comment he said in front of a reporter...it just seems mind boggling stupid to me)

• rivetman13rivetman13 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by RocSek
    Originally posted by RocSek
    Originally posted by Worstluck
    I realize you guys make money from ads, however, I would not be clicking on said ads regardless so I block them for safety and just to make the page readable.  Now will I permanently have a big red bar accross the top of the page?

It does not matter if you click the ads.  We sell ads based on impressions, not clicks/results.  So even if you don't click the ads you hurt our entire site by running a blocker.  Running adblock on a site that supports itself with advertisements is no different than downloading pirated movies, music or video games.  You are in a sense stealing our content that we work hard to create and pay to an entire team to create.

This is flat out wrong. If you want to "Stop people from stealing your content" then make all the infomation password protected, and charge people to access it. But to say we are stealing your content because we choose to block ads is ridiculous. And who ever typed this behind the anonymous "Admin" account should be fired.

The Admin account is not anonymous.  I am Craig McGregor the President/CEO of the company and the co-owner and founder of the site.  

Then you should be ashamed of yourself and how you represent your company. To make such a statement that calls, I would guess, a majority of your user base thieves and pirates is not a way to gain more support for this site.

I agree with this post and all the other posts about the calling us thieves and pirates. I would have no issues donating to your site or even whitelisting you but this is no way to go about it. Ill just get my info from other sources.

• bound4hadesbound4hades Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I realize you guys make money from ads, however, I would not be clicking on said ads regardless so I block them for safety and just to make the page readable.  Now will I permanently have a big red bar accross the top of the page?

This comment right here pissed me off. I call BS and you should be raked over the coals for this. I'm not stealing by blocking ads, i'm protecting my investment and valuble data. YOU make this free to access, therefor I can't steal whats free. The very idea of you trying to compare this to pirated software is laughable at best. I get you need money to run your site, buy don't guilt me into it. I would rather donate......

If you want me to unblock the adds, then give me writen gauratee I will not get a virus and if I do, you will pay the costs of recovering my data.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

As for the CEO's statement, is it really that hard for people to look past and forgive when someone misspeaks? I mean seriously, how can some of these people even function in society if they are going to hang on every word and jump on anyone who uses a poor hyperbole? (note: I similarly dislike it when the media jumps all over some celebrity for some Tweet or comment he said in front of a reporter...it just seems mind boggling stupid to me)

im sorry but no. if i walk in to mcdonalds and the cashier looks at me and says im a cheap ass because i buy their fast food instead of making my own. i stop buying food from that shop.

also i dont use adblocker to cause issues for mmorpg. i like many others do not see the ads as a wise income choice for a site, but as i have posted a few times ideas i think they could look at that does not out right require me to risk my personal pcs safety for their personal monetary gains. 

i have been on this site for several long years. i have see the "oops we boobooed" ads from years ago. so no, calling me a pirate for using adblocker pissed me off. i see no reason to turn off my blocker without some sort of gurentee that doing so will not get my pc infected with malware from this site. (as i block facebook and youtube and a few browser games ad's as well)

the pirate comment many viewed as insulting as it came from the ceo of mmorpg. its not some snotnose "noob" so i wouldnt call it a misspeak or a booboo.

• bound4hadesbound4hades Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Ichmen

im sorry but no. if i walk in to mcdonalds and the cashier looks at me and says im a cheap ass because i buy their fast food instead of making my own. i stop buying food from that shop.

also i dont use adblocker to cause issues for mmorpg. i like many others do not see the ads as a wise income choice for a site, but as i have posted a few times ideas i think they could look at that does not out right require me to risk my personal pcs safety for their personal monetary gains. 

i have been on this site for several long years. i have see the "oops we boobooed" ads from years ago. so no, calling me a pirate for using adblocker pissed me off. i see no reason to turn off my blocker without some sort of gurentee that doing so will not get my pc infected with malware from this site. (as i block facebook and youtube and a few browser games ad's as well)

the pirate comment many viewed as insulting as it came from the ceo of mmorpg. its not some snotnose "noob" so i wouldnt call it a misspeak or a booboo.

The fact it came from the CEO puts into question his leadership in my view. Call us theives because we use a FREE site, but block ads, is not just a boo boo. Really?! How else do you feel about your audience?

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Well...I am not a pirate and I don't appreciate being called one by an admin.

Same felt that was a VERY inacurate and uncalled for comparison and comment. 

Oh and another thing you think your revenue is hurting now, wait until the mass exodus of users if you continue with this outrageous and abhorent behaviour.

It is my understanding ad revenue is valued on site traffic, so chase your users off and see where that leaves you.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Turn off Adblock? never going to happen on my pc, want me to pay to use this site? not going to happen.  As to the comment of being a pirate, I have downloaded and stolen nothing from this website.  In fact a lot of information that this site provides is taken from other sources outside of this website.

Your comment was very arrogant, and the attitude from the owners is extremely bullish

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195
    Originally posted by biggarfoot
    Turn off Adblock? never going to happen on my pc, want me to pay to use this site? not going to happen.  As to the comment of being a pirate, I have downloaded and stolen nothing from this website.  In fact a lot of information that this site provides is taken from other sources outside of this website.

LOL good point I see them steal posts from other resources all the time.

This discussion has been closed.