Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW retakes nr 1 spot on X-Fire

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Not surprisingly, after release of Mists of Pandaria, WoW is back at number 1 and GW 2 takes a 10% dip in number of players on XFire.

Will it last though? I was kind of expecting a bigger drop for GW 2 but the weekend is still ahead of us.

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    And? It's not like the people who still play GW2 are going to leave because of a drop in something that isn't exactly reliable.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    But but but but X-fire is irrelevant when our game is losing.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Well second to LOL, but I assume you mean in the MMO genre.

It was pretty obvious that MoP would overtake GW2.  I'm really curious how close they'll be in a month or two.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

It was pretty obvious that MoP would overtake GW2.  I'm really curious how close they'll be in a month or two.

Yes I wonder that too. WoW has proven that it can capture huge audience for a long time but GW 2 has not of yet. So the question is, will GW 2 go down the same route of SW:TOR, downward spiral towards F2P or will it grow like WoW once did?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    As I said back when people were talking about how xfire numbers showed GW2 as number one, Xfire numbers are highly unreliable.  The thing people need to remember is that since GW2 isn't a subscription game, players can come and go as they please.  It's not like a subscription game where after you pay your subscription, you're almost obliged to play it for that entire month.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Yamota

Yes I wonder that too. WoW has proven that it can capture huge audience for a long time but GW 2 has not of yet. So the question is, will GW 2 go down the same route of SW:TOR, downward spiral towards F2P or will it grow like WoW once did?

First off, how can GW2 go F2P? You buy the box, and you play afterwards with no sub fee.

Second, I get the feeling you're just looking for any reason to satiate your ego, and having GW2 fail is apparently the only way to do it. after all, I've seen your post history and the various arguments you have with people all around the forums on the subject matter.

Yes, Fully 100% maybe, No

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

If you're seriously interested in analysis, note that WoW has less than 1,000 more X-Fire players than GW2, even though WoW is in Launch Week and GW2 has been out for a month.

Also, GW2 just passed MoP on Amazon's Bestsellers List which is honestly something I didn't expect to see happen... at least not the Friday after MoP came out.

Although even cooler - EVE is #1 on Amazon right now!!! :O

Originally posted by Enigmatus

First off, how can GW2 go F2P? You buy the box, and you play afterwards with no sub fee.

Second, I get the feeling you're just looking for any reason to satiate your ego, and having GW2 fail is apparently the only way to do it. after all, I've seen your post history and the various arguments you have with people all around the forums on the subject matter.

If they give the client away its F2P and not B2P, simple really.

Originally posted by Calerxes

Not going to happen.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Didn't a large number of  X-Fire clients not work with Mists when they did the initial patches before the launch and is it not possible that many of the WoW players have not bothered to update their X-Fire client.

Originally posted by kitarad
    Didn't a large number of  X-Fire clients not work with Mists when they did the initial patches before the launch and is it not possible that many of the WoW players have not bothered to update their X-Fire client.

Um this seems to be the "official excuse" whenever any game comes out - GW2, WoW, SWTOR, TSW all had fans/supporters claiming this.

It's a great reason for why X-Fire numbers are silly and meaningless, but a lousy one for justifying why a specific game isn't "performing" on the service.

• XeoMatrix00XeoMatrix00 Member Posts: 39

Dude do you really think subs matter GW2 has none. Also, Xfire numbers have no real meening is not worthy to use to be considered real.

I play both WoW and GW2 guess what i installed Xfire and unsintalled the next day is not worth it. So you really think this numbers matter. 

Give me more accurate evidence than Xfire plz, im tired of ppl using this info whithout nothing else to back it up. Xfire numbers dont mean a lot.  

You want better info you have to wait the first month of the game for WoW and GW2 when both of them have matured more you will see better feedback.

Ppl will leave MOP and go back to GW2 and ppl will GW2 and go to MoP. Or anyother game of course. I have a sense of a WoW fanboy here. You want better feedback you have to wait more. I myself i play both games but playing GW2 more just go back to wow on certains times is doesnt matter how we see it we have to admint that wow numbers are getting lower for every new mmo that come in. Will be hard for new mmo to take millions of users in less than a month but each new mmo is taking a  chunk out of wow so give it time.  Myself hope Titan will be good replacement, will be very shameful if Titan doesnt capture the millions of subs from wow.

PS. Im using GW2 as an example because i play both. Thats another benefit of having one sub and 2 mmo games. :)

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by XeoMatrix00

Dude do you really think subs matter GW2 has none. Also, Xfire numbers have no real meening is not worthy to use to be considered real.

Like it or not. GW2 is going to same direction in X-fire as most recent themeparks have done. X-fire does give a trend, but it does not represent whole MMO population or even a given population in that game. However, it has been fairly accurate predicting the trend that a game is going.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• JointmastaJointmasta Member Posts: 7
    you can put WOW number one on every list in the world and i still wont play it. i gave it 6 strait hours once and i have no desire to play it again.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Right, can I borrow your crystal globe?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

xfire numbers

MoP realesed wow jumped to 66364 hours

after a day it droped to 61675 hours

now MoP have only 58682 hours

for me its a drop of 8k hours in few days

• ohpowerohpower Member Posts: 72

Hum... since OP has looked at the number of players, he might also have seen that GW2 is played by 9063 players (after 1month) and MOP 9952 (after... 2 days, you know when GW2 had like 35000 players after day 2).

As always, numbers on Xfire are to be handled with caution, but we can certainly be sure that 10000 players isn't much... since it's the population the "ailing" GW2 has :p (the Anet people must be thinking: "as many players as WoW MoP on Xfire guys: we're dead! We have to give the game for free now!")

Originally posted by thexrated
    Originally posted by XeoMatrix00

Like it or not. GW2 is going to same direction in X-fire as most recent themeparks have done. X-fire does give a trend, but it does not represent whole MMO population or even a given population in that game. However, it has been fairly accurate predicting the trend that a game is going.

X-Fire could struggle with GW2. Unlike past MMOs GW2 is riding a wave of new people playing even as others leave. X-Fire honestly seems a horrible service for tracking that.

GW2 just overtook MoP on Amazon Sales so people are still buying and just starting to play the game. How many of those people are X-Fire Users? Probably a very, very small number (X-Fire is a pretty niche and more "hardcore" gaming service).

X-Fire can't account for them, and will only be able to track any X-Fire users that return to the game and considering how much GW2 caters to a more "casual" rather than "hardcore" (aka Progression-Based Raiding) playerbase I can see the disconnect between X-Fire and "reality" just growing and growing over time.

Originally posted by korent1991

Right, can I borrow your crystal globe?

Of course you can just get in line, but as ever you can quote me and throw it back in my face if I'm wrong at a future date, I'm a big boy I can take being wrong.

Originally posted by Stx11

Not going to happen.

Can I quote you on that?

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

If history is any indication, WoW will maintain it's population and GW2 will fall off

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

lol! I was thinking the same thing.

"Hmm.. XFire being used to show something not favorable to GW2... the responses will be about how irrelevant XFire is".

To be fair, though, it's not only GW2 where that happens. It's the same with any MMO on this site (and elsewhere I imagine).

Basically:

XFire stats are favorable to "your game" = Xfire is relevant

XFire stats are unfavorable to "your game" = Xfire is irrelevant

Best part is when you see the same people switching arguments to fit the scenario.

Originally posted by Stx11

Not going to happen.

Can I quote you on that?

Sure thing - I'm 100% confident on this based on ANet and GW1.

The game wasn't designed for F2P nor will it ever be. They have other ways to make money.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

lol! I was thinking the same thing.

"Hmm.. XFire being used to show something not favorable to GW2... the responses will be about how irrelevant XFire is".

To be fair, though, it's not only GW2 where that happens. It's the same with any MMO on this site (and elsewhere I imagine).

Basically:

XFire stats are favorable to "your game" = Xfire is relevant

XFire stats are unfavorable to "your game" = Xfire is irrelevant

Best part is when you see the same people switching arguments to fit the scenario.

So true and adds the overall entertainment of this forum, I think the saying "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" is relevant here.

This discussion has been closed.