Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - a single player game...

KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

-This is a comment i found here on forums and it describes exactly how me and the majority of my friends/guildies feel about the game-

<<GW2 is pretty much a single player game, converted into an MMO.  Everyone, every player is pretty much anonymous, outside of the people you see directly in front of you, or the folks in a localized chat window.  Even then with the people in front of you, it's impossible to inspect their gear or achievements.

It just lacks the social elements of other games .. /who command? inspect upgrade choices? .. for instance.

It's OK just to log into once in a while because it's B2P (and P2P would have been the death of this game).  But everything is focused around the individual player, and not other players.  Why would I care if I get a legendary armor set?  Who would notice?

As for the removal of the trinity, that might be OK for a light casual game, but not for an RPG.  Everyone has the same cookie cutter class .. everyone can tank, heal, and dps .. yay?  There is no importance to any role any longer .. nobody feels important in the end, they are just "another" player.

I feel for you too, because I also see GW2 as having an amazing graphics engine with core ideas that are simply the best.  I only wish I felt more a part of the GW2 world whenever I log in.  As it is, nobody knows I exist, and it's a lonely experience, even if I'm in a guild.  Do they even notice when I log on?  Since everything outside of dungeons is soloable it's just bland (with dungeons why care since you can get equal gear via solo) ... It's just such an empty empty game world ..>>

original owner <Karteli>

Comments

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    So instead of leaving it where it was, you plagarized it without sighting the source and made a new thread about it? Disrespectful.
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

if youre playing GW2 solo then you are doing so by choice. NO GAME can FORCE you to /invite or /join

L2Play L2Bsocial

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Kenze

if youre playing GW2 solo then you are doing so by choice. NO GAME can FORCE you to /invite or /join

L2Play L2Bsocial

Actually it is forcing you to solo by making solo exping faster than grouping. I tried grouping with my friends a few times and it was painful. Just move a few meters away from a group member and they disappear from the screen and map. Then we always have to wait for the slowest member to finish their heart to move on. And of course there is always someone who sucks at jumping puzzles, or forgot a poi and has to run back to get it. 

Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by Kenze

L2Play L2Bsocial

Actually it is forcing you to solo by making solo exping faster than grouping. I tried grouping with my friends a few times and it was painful. Just move a few meters away from a group member and they disappear from the screen and map. Then we always have to wait for the slowest member to finish their heart to move on. And of course there is always someone who sucks at jumping puzzles, or forgot a poi and has to run back to get it. 

Sorry, you're on the GW2 forum, not WoW. There are no experience losses for being a group. And having a set goal in your group and getting it done, rather than going off and doing it on your own should yield faster hearts and results. Not sure how you can mess that up. Specially since all hearts are shared and most things you smash/pickup are your own, and they can't effect that. If someone goes afk a lot, thats not the games fault. I suppose they should let everyone get experience and credit for doing nothing in the group to fix that...

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Woo thanks for the honorable mention :-)

But I think you'll get a lot of flack for creating a new thread with this.  You should add your own opinions too, or restate what was already said in your own words and use my post as a backup source :-)

All the same, I stand by what I say, so the OP post is 100% correct, to me LOL.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

But I think you'll get a lot of flack for creating a new thread with this.  You should add your own opinions too, or restate what was already said in your own words and use my post as a backup source :-)

All the same, I stand by what I say.

Don't let him do that. This is pure plagarism. You attack him, not give him english lessons. Geez. People today need to learn to be more like my idle, apple.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Okay...

I notice everyone with legendary sets passing by or fighting alongside me.

I think you totally missed out on how this game forces more cooperation / multiplayer feeling without having to use groups than any other game.

Everyone can heal, tank, and dps? Pretty obvious from playing the game with all of the classes, that certain classes are far better at specific roles than others. Sorta like heavy armor toughness / vitality spec are going to take a lot more hits than a light armor similiar spec. Rather simple stuff.

To continue refutting everything, on the contacts panel is a tab called followers, apparently I have several of these - so I must of impressed some folks along the way :)

Not my experience. How is gaining exp faster forcing you to play without friends? Perhaps have an end game rusher mentality, instead of someone who takes the time to enjoy the game and actually play with friends. Sounds about right.

Sounds like your lot would completely blow in a dungeon :D

Originally posted by eggy08

Don't let him do that. This is pure plagarism. You attack him, not give him english lessons. Geez. People today need to learn to be more like my idle, apple.

He quoted me as the author, so it's not plagarism.  This forum is non-profit (to posters) anyways, so it's all good.

He quoted me as the author, so it's not plagarism.  This forum is non-profit (to posters) anyways, so it's all good.

Wasn't like that before. He changed it. I would of already won cash for some of the quotes I've had on here by now if it was.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Looks like my thoughts are a response to you, more so than your clone, who bein from Greece may not have the best english and is use to all sorts of group interaction with those riots and all that :)

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Someone never did a dungeon or proper WvW it seems.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    What do players want then?  Forced socialization?  How would you go about it?  Group requirement to enter a zone?  Should all mobs be Veterans?  All Skill Points need 5 members minimum?  Should Vistas require us to be grouped?  What about Dynamic Events?  Should we wait for a full group to even start them?  Should everyone be socializing about there daily and weekly lives?  What they had for lunch?  When they went to the restroom?  Is this facebook or a video game?  Should the chatbox always be scrolling every second?  No time to fight!  Be social people!
  • ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by papardelios

-This is a comment i found here on forums and it describes exactly how me and the majority of my friends/guildies feel about the game-

<

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

It's the players playing it like a single player game, I'm glade it has that [choice] though, I personally play with the players in my server and guild. 

Eh well y'all be easy and peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    I agree for the most part. This game isn't that different from the rest of modern mmo's.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    So socializing is dependent on game classes and ability to see some random guy's equipment? You learn something new every day...
  • bendwc10bendwc10 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    The problem really is that there is very little down time, so the situations where you need to sit and med or recover hp allowing you to socialize a bit are non-existent.  That and teamspeak, ventrillo, etc is taking over text chat so it just seems like theres less chatting going on.  That's just what I think.  
  • krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Eluldor

Okay...

I notice everyone with legendary sets passing by or fighting alongside me.

I think you totally missed out on how this game forces more cooperation / multiplayer feeling without having to use groups than any other game.

Everyone can heal, tank, and dps? Pretty obvious from playing the game with all of the classes, that certain classes are far better at specific roles than others. Sorta like heavy armor toughness / vitality spec are going to take a lot more hits than a light armor similiar spec. Rather simple stuff.

To continue refutting everything, on the contacts panel is a tab called followers, apparently I have several of these - so I must of impressed some folks along the way :)

Not my experience. How is gaining exp faster forcing you to play without friends? Perhaps have an end game rusher mentality, instead of someone who takes the time to enjoy the game and actually play with friends. Sounds about right.

Sounds like your lot would completely blow in a dungeon :D

I would because dungeons make me fall asleep :)

Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    So socializing is dependent on game classes and ability to see some random guy's equipment? You learn something new every day...

Not per se, but inspecting others gear does lend to social aspects.  In WoW players would want to inspect for some sort of quality guantee that the recipient of the inspect wouldn't suck (At least in early WoW, nowadays anyone who breathes gets epics, so inspect in WoW is meaningless),

Inspecting in GW2 would be cool because you could see someones "awesome" legendaries and how they upgraded them.  Inspecting is touted as a non-feature in GW2, which is disappointing.  The spin to non-inspection is that it invades another players privacy.  This makes GW2 anti-social yes, to everyones claims?

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Not per se, but inspecting others gear does lend to social aspects.  In WoW players would want to inspect for some sort of quality guantee that the recipient of the inspect wouldn't suck (At least in early WoW, nowadays anyone who breathes gets epics, so inspect in WoW is meaningless),

Inspecting in GW2 would be cool because you could see someones "awesome" legendaries and how they upgraded them.  Inspecting is touted as a non-feature in GW2, which is disappointing.  The spin to non-inspection is that it invades another players privacy.  This makes GW2 anti-social yes, to everyones claims?

Ok I see what you want you dont want to chat you want to see everything a players done to there gear and what they have completed in game with a inspect character thing. The only games I have seen this in are gear grinder games and sorry but everyone knew months if not years gear was not the main goal in GW2 also achivements are nothing important unless its DCUO and there if you dont have 70+ sp most groups wont let you in. To me being social in a game means to chat and I do alot of it in GW2 infact more then most games I have played except EQ and EQOA even in WoW I hardly talked to anyone out side my guild. But I learned to use chat and to chat with others even in GW2 I chat in say and almost 100% of the time I and who ever I am chating with will chat and fight pretty easy even tho most things you cant sit a chat and fight. 

As for me and my guild we use voice chat and we talk on it cause its easier to use then typing in a game. Voice chat is used in alot of game even in WoW its built in and if  group in games that have it I use it over typing all the time.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Technically, you can ask the person a few questions about his gear, or ask him to link it for you, instead of him walking up to you, /inspect, /move on.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

It's kinda crazy to notice that people actually think that someone "notices" them if they can be inspected.

Only situation where I personally inspect anyone in a game where it is possible, is to check a gear piece I want. One minute later I have no idea who that character even was unless he was someone I know or "know". Then again, I guess it's just the human nature to seek attention even if it's towards a virtual avatar, who does not represent them really.

I have to derail this a bit since it's kinda interesting topic. I've heard people saying who has played WoW for years that they cant leave the game because they have a certain standing in their server community. It's kinda daunting thought to leave it all behind, completely evaporating everything into thin air since you cant take none of your ingame achievements with you when you quit. You miss your in game pals and you miss being someone of notice, or just someone, even if it's just a virtual world.

It's a great thing from business standpoint, and one of the reasons why games fail if they target WoW's audience, WoW players have their personal standing and pals in that game already, and they will move on only if they are bored to death with WoW, and in that case they'll notice in the new game that the game it self wasnt their primary source of addiction or fun, and the new game will fail.

Maybe not exactly like that, but I think the story goes very much like this for a large group of players. I know personally some gamers who went from WoW to SWTOR and said that they are going back to WoW just because they feel lonely in SWTOR. WoW is a very singleplayer themed game too, solo leveling to max, and only social interaction in instances is "Hi" and "Ty for the group" but if you have ingame pals and a community behind you, I guess that's enough to elevate the game into a multiplayer status? :)

Interesting topic though.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

GW2 a single player game? Whaaat? o.O

I guess it´s your choice to play that way if you want to...but GW2 has all tools to make u play with other players & socialize...

Actually it goes even further than other games since you can be in multiples guilds at the same time,u need to work as a perfect team in dungeons to susceed...etc

Even the game design is so social friendly because you can help another player at anytime and don´t steal any of his loot or exp....

Again it´s your choice to play how you like...

but GW2 is a MMORPG,a very good one actually.

Originally posted by Kuinn

It's kinda crazy to notice that people actually think that someone "notices" them if they can be inspected.

Only situation where I personally inspect anyone in a game where it is possible, is to check a gear piece I want. One minute later I have no idea who that character even was unless he was someone I know or "know". Then again, I guess it's just the human nature to seek attention even if it's towards a virtual avatar, who does not represent them really.

I have to derail this a bit since it's kinda interesting topic. I've heard people saying who has played WoW for years that they cant leave the game because they have a certain standing in their server community. It's kinda daunting thought to leave it all behind, completely evaporating everything into thin air since you cant take none of your ingame achievements with you when you quit. You miss your in game pals and you miss being someone of notice, or just someone, even if it's just a virtual world.

It's a great thing from business standpoint, and one of the reasons why games fail if they target WoW's audience, WoW players have their personal standing and pals in that game already, and they will move on only if they are bored to death with WoW, and in that case they'll notice in the new game that the game it self wasnt their primary source of addiction or fun, and the new game will fail.

Maybe not exactly like that, but I think the story goes very much like this for a large group of players. I know personally some gamers who went from WoW to SWTOR and said that they are going back to WoW just because they feel lonely in SWTOR. WoW is a very singleplayer themed game too, solo leveling to max, and only social interaction in instances is "Hi" and "Ty for the group" but if you have ingame pals and a community behind you, I guess that's enough to elevate the game into a multiplayer status? :)

Interesting topic though.

It wasn't always like that :(

Originally posted by nolic1

Ok I see what you want you dont want to chat you want to see everything a players done to there gear and what they have completed in game with a inspect character thing. The only games I have seen this in are gear grinder games and sorry but everyone knew months if not years gear was not the main goal in GW2 also achivements are nothing important unless its DCUO and there if you dont have 70+ sp most groups wont let you in. To me being social in a game means to chat and I do alot of it in GW2 infact more then most games I have played except EQ and EQOA even in WoW I hardly talked to anyone out side my guild. But I learned to use chat and to chat with others even in GW2 I chat in say and almost 100% of the time I and who ever I am chating with will chat and fight pretty easy even tho most things you cant sit a chat and fight. 

As for me and my guild we use voice chat and we talk on it cause its easier to use then typing in a game. Voice chat is used in alot of game even in WoW its built in and if  group in games that have it I use it over typing all the time.

I guess thre is a gap in our conversation.  Not being able to inspect is only one of my complaints.

All the major social tools available in other games are missing in GW2.  /who is a big one.  Simple tools allow other players to get  a familiarity with other players in a zone, maybe even recognize some names and ask if they would like to group.  Everytime I play GW2 it's cold turkey .. I know nothing about others currently logged on... outside of friends, but am I going to invite 2000 people to friends to know who is on my server?  Evern on a friends list, the information you can see is limited.  The current system screams lame, but thats my opinion.