Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Patterns, from the creators of Second Life .. Sandbox MMO?

KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member

The creators of Second Life are making what appears to be a spin off Minecraft, in a game called Patterns.

Not a huge deal is known about this game apparently, but it does have a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJeD9nwm43o

It will be a sort of sandbox MMO, where players build portions of the "universe" from basic building blocks.  These building blocks are patterns used to create anything from structures to trees to what appears to be complex mechanically operated machinery, complete with physics as to how an object moves, rotates, or even falls/thrown (and is destroyed).  To the Minecraft Reference, Linden Lab seems to be trying to 1-Up Minecraft.

From their website (http://www.buildpatterns.com/)

It’s your universe to shape

Patterns is a 3D space, where you’ll construct simple and complex structures as you harvest substances and discover new shapes that can be used to enhance your creativity.

Create and Explore

Patterns starts with simple, basic shapes and allows you to create a universe from these shapes. In future versions you will be able to share your creations with each other, then learn from and build upon each other’s creations to create an entire universe of our shared imaginations.

Be careful!

Each substance contains different physical properties that can cause your creations to tumble, crumble or crash down to the ground. Will your creations withstand the power of gravity?

--

Patterns is still in a form of development, with "Founders" having access to it currently.  Seeing as how this is coming from the creators of Second Life, could this be turned into a social sandbox MMO?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

It looks suspiciously like Minecraft with Triangles instead of Cubes.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member

I think people are getting tired of block games at this point.  They should be concentrating on building sandbox games with more traditional settings and mechanics.  They are way late to this subset of games anyway.

What the hell is wrong with game devs?  They seem clueless these days.  They are constantly way behind player trends.

EDIT:  I know Linden Lab is into the full on sandbox thing.  I play around in SL once in a while, though it seems to have stagnated in evolution in the past few years.  It's not a game, it's a creative and social space.

So what are they trying to accomplish now?  I guess a more "safe" and watered down sandbox using Minecraft as a touchstone.  I suppose it will remain to be seen if there is any "game" in their game.

I'd prefer they took the tools they built for SL and put them in an actual sandbox MMO setting.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MetentsoMetentso BarcelonaPosts: 1,436Member Common
    Looks interesting. But i prefer the cubes.... i know triangles are more versatile, but...
  • TechleoTechleo Grants Pass, ORPosts: 1,984Member
    Oh there are cubes. There actually is pretty much any shape if you toy with the materials enough.
  • KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I think people are getting tired of block games at this point.  They should be concentrating on building sandbox games with more traditional settings and mechanics.  They are way late to this subset of games anyway.

What the hell is wrong with game devs?  They seem clueless these days.  They are constantly way behind player trends.

EDIT:  I know Linden Lab is into the full on sandbox thing.  I play around in SL once in a while, though it seems to have stagnated in evolution in the past few years.  It's not a game, it's a creative and social space.

So what are they trying to accomplish now?  I guess a more "safe" and watered down sandbox using Minecraft as a touchstone.  I suppose it will remain to be seen if there is any "game" in their game.

I'd prefer they took the tools they built for SL and put them in an actual sandbox MMO setting.

I supposed it depends on the creations.  I took fondness to this game when I saw the trailer because I saw some potential.

I may remind you that mindcraft is a very popular game with a huge playerbase.  Players who didn't just play a week or a month and throw the game away, looking for a new game.  They are still playing.

It's not huge, but Minecraft still holds #8 on XFire, which is saying something after knowing how non-complicated the game is and how long it's been out.

As of Sept 29, 2012:

Xfire Integration Title Hours Rank Developer Publisher

League of Legends
    103718 #1 Riot Games Riot Games

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    62604 #2 Infinity Ward Activision

World of Warcraft
    58682 #3 Blizzard Entertainment Blizzard Entertainment

Call of Duty 2
    33345 #4 Infinity Ward Activision

Guild Wars 2
    32616 #5 ArenaNet NCsoft

Borderlands 2
    14125 #6 Gearbox Software 2K Games

Diablo III
    11075 #7 Blizzard Entertainment Blizzard Entertainment

Minecraft
    10843 #8 Mojang Mojang

Battlefield 3
    10616 #9 Digital Illusions EA Games

World Of Tanks
    9313 #10 Wargaming Wargaming.net

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.