Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG...The Secret World is half-price this weekend...I'm conflicted

benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114

I played one of the free weekends, really loved the game, but the entry barrier for me was the box price --- I had already spent my game money on GW2 preorder.

Now at half-price --- do I go for it? I still haven't picked up Torchlight 2 because I have been spending my little free time on GW2. It's all just too much to process right now. Do I get TSW? Do I get TL2? Do I just play Guild Wars 2? How will all of this affect my College and NFL football addiction?

I should probably seek counseling.

Comments

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

If this is a serious question. Buy Torchlight 2.

If this is not, then I'll add the extra note that when I got the e-mail secret world was on sale my first reaction was to delete the e-mail. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

id pick football ......football and beer....yum.....

TSW will be free to play soon im quite sure id hold off for awhile and see where its going first. Tera for example after about a month was like 5 bucks to buy . Considering the posts here people saying the game is pretty dead atm so i would wait and hold off if you are trying to save money. I played TL2 and enjoyed it and its cheap also id almost say if you are dying for another game that would be fun.

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    It's a matter of saving money, but also of spreading myself so thin that I end up cheating myself out of experiencing them to some degree.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

TSW will eventually be FTP...so play all you want then.   My suggestion would be use your money for Hookers and blow

Forgot my smiley  it was a joke after all  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    I agree, wait until it goes F2P, will be more activity then anyways.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    If you are a quest reader, I would say yes, its absolutely worth the money, just for the quests alone.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Kilmar
    If you are a quest reader, I would say yes, its absolutely worth the money, just for the quests alone.

I agree the quests are great

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by benit59

I played one of the free weekends, really loved the game, but the entry barrier for me was the box price --- I had already spent my game money on GW2 preorder.

Now at half-price --- do I go for it? I still haven't picked up Torchlight 2 because I have been spending my little free time on GW2. It's all just too much to process right now. Do I get TSW? Do I get TL2? Do I just play Guild Wars 2? How will all of this affect my College and NFL football addiction?

I should probably seek counseling.

As a lifetimer wait till it goes freemium, its not worth it.

• BadLuckBrettBadLuckBrett Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Completely agree. There hasn't been one time where I started a quest and said to myself "yeah, yeah, just tell me what to kill".

Personally my favorite environment for PvE and RP, although PvP could use a little work.

Only major complaint I have is that the environment has tainted me on playing other fantasy mmos (Playing traditional fantasy feels a bit like Candy Land to me now) but that comes down to the individual.

If you like ez-mode straight-forward questing/leveling, you may hate this game. If you like quests that make you want to pay attention, you may like this. Plus there are always walkthrough sites if you get stuck on a quest objective.

I'd say 50% off is a pretty good deal.

Originally posted by BadLuckBrett

Completely agree. There hasn't been one time where I started a quest and said to myself "yeah, yeah, just tell me what to kill".

Personally my favorite environment for PvE and RP, although PvP could use a little work.

Only major complaint I have is that the environment has tainted me on playing other fantasy mmos (Playing traditional fantasy feels a bit like Candy Land to me now) but that comes down to the individual.

If you like ez-mode straight-forward questing/leveling, you may hate this game. If you like quests that make you want to pay attention, you may like this. Plus there are always walkthrough sites if you get stuck on a quest objective.

Um if the game was hard you are a bad player. The game is completely easy mode from start to finish

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    Originally posted by BadLuckBrett

Um if the game was hard you are a bad player. The game is completely easy mode from start to finish

LOL  are you joking, compared to wow or eq2 the game has some challenge to it for the better

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I would wait till f2p, its starting down that road.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

LOL  are you joking, compared to wow or eq2 the game has some challenge to it for the better

yea especially once you hit blue mountain difficulty ramps up a lot even in QL8 was getting rocked at parts of blue mountain.. where's icewhite at ? I liked the quote went something like "always amazes me how people feel the need to come to gaming forums and proclaim how elite they are"..  or something like that:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

If you don't look up the solutions online, a lot of the investigation quests are quite difficult.

Half price?  Go for it.  It's a lot of fun.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

The game is definatly worth it. it wont be F2P for quite awhile, If people are saying Soon that is the Soon (tm) version. all they have said so far is that while F2P is on the table they have no intention of jumping to it any time soon.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Rayshe

The game is definatly worth it. it wont be F2P for quite awhile, If people are saying Soon that is the Soon (tm) version. all they have said so far is that while F2P is on the table they have no intention of jumping to it any time soon.

They are bleeding, thats why its half price. They need to get some folks in there, we all know the fastest way is to go f2p. If they keep bleeding after they attempt to get some people with flash sales like this one they will go f2p no doubt.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

How much is the game half off?  30 dollars?  I don't know if it's worth that.  I enjoyed the beta weekends and bought it at full price, yet when I played the game at launch, I played it for like 2 days then never touched it again.  I just lost all will to play -- not really sure why.

I think Torchlight II will be the better investment.  

Originally posted by SuperXero89

How much is the game half off?  30 dollars?  I don't know if it's worth that.  I enjoyed the beta weekends and bought it at full price, yet when I played the game at launch, I played it for like 2 days then never touched it again.  I just lost all will to play -- not really sure why.

I think Torchlight II will be the better investment.  

not me... got bored of TL2 after one night.. just to typical dungeon crawler to me.. but i don't see the appeal in dungeon crawlers anymore I think as i have yet to find one that was fun for me for more than a few hours since titans quest... at least TSW you get a interesting story and good spookey settings to play in.. differn't strokes..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

TSW was worth the original price + sub (I'd still be playing it along with GW2 if it wasn't because of stupid venezuelan currency exchange laws). Personally I think that TSW is a very different game than both GW2 and torchlight 2, so whether it would be worth it to you can be debatable.

I'd say, if like the modern horror setting, enjoy a great story (that is still on going) and like to have your brain challenged as well (I loved the investigative missions), then TSW will be worth to you. Be aware of two things, though... replayability is low, and running dungeons to gear up so you can do more dungeons is basically what it's there to do once you finish with the quests, which depending on how much you play can 2 or 3 weeks (YMMV, I play very casually because of RL not leaving enough time and I still hadn't set foot on 2 of the 8 zones the game has after 2 months).

In short: for me, TSW was worth the regular price, is much more worth the half price, for you, depends on what you're looking for in a game.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by Aerowyn

yea especially once you hit blue mountain difficulty ramps up a lot even in QL8 was getting rocked at parts of blue mountain.. where's icewhite at ? I liked the quote went something like "always amazes me how people feel the need to come to gaming forums and proclaim how elite they are"..  or something like that:)

Um no its not tough then. BM is only hard if you are clueless as to how to build. If you dont build a NM build from the gate the game will be hard because only a couple specs that are cookie cutter are any good.

Um no its not tough then. BM is only hard if you are clueless as to how to build. If you dont build a NM build from the gate the game will be hard because only a couple specs that are cookie cutter are any good.

was using these builds http://wordpress.tswguides.com/tsw-build-page/ scroll down a little to the blue mountain specials builds... game is more difficult than most other standard themeparks imho

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Sod the stop-start-stop-start ultrapadded silly Rugby-clone (American football).

Get TL2 or better yet: Spend your money looking for a girlfriend and create your own secret world :-)

TSW: Still on my 6-month "FunCommed: Keep hands-in-pocket" cooldown. Slowly getting the feeling that TSW's biggest problem may be FunComs reputation after AoC. 

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Deivos

If this is a serious question. Buy Torchlight 2.

If this is not, then I'll add the extra note that when I got the e-mail secret world was on sale my first reaction was to delete the e-mail. :p

Hahaha!  Gee I hope Torchlight 2 has 100% more depth/challenge than the first one, what a bore.  I'm having difficulty finding any positive qualities with Torchlight or Diablo....after playing MMO's how the hell can you spend money on those shallow simple type games?

OP, I would finish with GW2 and snag TSW during the next sale they have on it.  Why sub when you are playing GW2?  They are sure to have another sale soon on TSW.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

was using these builds http://wordpress.tswguides.com/tsw-build-page/ scroll down a little to the blue mountain specials builds... game is more difficult than most other standard themeparks imho

[mod edit]

So you made up your l33t build yourself right?  

Originally posted by Mardukk

[mod edit]

So you made up your l33t build yourself right?  

I was the first glance tank from beta on, you can thank me for that build