Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW's slow death?

Comments

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Everything that has a beginning, has an end. Yes, WoW is past its zenith. But this is neither surprising , nor a bad sign or something. I would not call it "death" yet.  I guess, WoW will be around more many more years. 
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by david361107

So everyone knows, i'm not WOW bashing, did enough of that after CAT, and well deserved bashing i must say. But I played WOW for 6 years and had lots of fun. The point of the post is not numbers, it's what do you think is killing it? Is it blizzard or other MMO's?

Peace,

Lascer

Played Wow for 5 years and it's Blizzard who's killing the game.

They thought Zynga model is the way to go. They were wrong and now they reap what they sow.

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Aericyn

So everyone knows, i'm not WOW bashing, did enough of that after CAT, and well deserved bashing i must say. But I played WOW for 6 years and had lots of fun. The point of the post is not numbers, it's what do you think is killing it? Is it blizzard or other MMO's?

Peace,

Lascer

Age devours all. :)

You said yourself - played for six years, had lots of fun. Could you watch reruns of your favorite show for six years? Eat at your favorite fast food place over and over for that long. It is natural while people in general are stuck in and often prefer our routines, we need variety and a sense of "new".

Human nature is killing WoW, people interested have been there done that. It doesn't make WoW bad or in a position of failng to thrive. And I don't know if the saying "everything old is new again" applies to game expansions. Right now, I don't feel I can go back.

I have all seasons of "the big bang theory" and watch them over and over because there isn't anything good on tv anymore but that show :)

Originally posted by Stx11
    Originally posted by expresso
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    These are NOT official numbers from blizzard, if VentureBeat are a legit company with access to retail info then all this demonstrates is the death of PC retail, They have zero insight into the digital sales. 

did you bother reading the article? Those numbers were from this company, which is one of the worlds largest investment banks

http://www.lazard.com/

here try again

Sales of the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria expansion have been disappointing, according to investment bank Lazard Capital Markets. The fourth expansion for Blizzard Entertainment’s massively popular online game has sold between 600,000 and 700,000 copies at retail since its launch earlier this week, Lazard estimates.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#SyRsZkIcDTVs2l5v.99

now feel free to attack the source all you want but I serioly doubt that eitehr the site reporting this or the source have any sort of axe to grind

The source is not official, link it as much as you like it will NEVER be official, we don't know how they collected, supplied or indeed verified this data (if at all)- I might as well go ask Dave down the pub.

They even got Cata sales figued wrong.

Let's wait for Blizzards to release official numbers... assuming they do.

I can promise you one thing - if those figures aren't accurate Blizzard will be releasing figures and soon!

Stock prices and the company's reputation is at stake. The longer Blizzard is silent on this, the more sure you can be those estimates were either accurate or optimistic.

Agree

Originally posted by Psychow

So OP, you're relly sticking with the 650K retail and even LESS digital for a total of less than 1.25M? Really?

I have to say, even the most dedicated hater would dismiss your numbers flat out. I'm sure those that disklike WoW/Blizzard would love to see thos enumbers be true...but seriously...no...

Yes I'm going to stick with that, mostly because the hype was nowhere to be found on MoP. On this site and others there was no activity at all on MoP. I even remember looking weeks before and not seeing much at all anywhere, like nobody was talking about it really.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Peace,

Lascer

Grats on making the 10000 thread on WoW's demise. Age is the major factor really. The fact that it's still as successful as it is after all this time is amazing. I enjoyed my time playing it but finally got bored. It was just time to play something else.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I don't find it all that surprising that sales for MoP are low.  Before Blizzard stopped separating West (US & EU) subscriptions from East (Asia / China) accounts, The asian market always had the lead (post WoW-China version release early in WoW's history).

In 2011 WoW suffered 2 consecutive major quarter losses (combined in excess over 1 mil), while still reporting gains in China Game Room Passes.  The hit to the Western subscription market was immense last year.  Blizzard tried to change the trend, saying that more recent losses are attributed to China, but damage to the West was already done.  Gamers just did not see much value in Cataclysm, myself included.

For what it's worth, WarcraftRealms.com had a huge spike up to 1400 players average per server during peak hours when Cataclysm hit.  This time around for MoP it's around 600, with overall playtime not really changing much over the past year.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/weeklyfactionactivity.php?serverid=-1

Also, drifting on to another part of this discussion, I do see digital sales as rising .. but at some point it will just cap out.  Anecdotally, the only way for me to buy a digital download game is if I don't really care much about it .. it would just be a throwaway game title.  If I value the game and intend to play it for a good deal of time, I'll insist on having the physical box.  I'll admit though that if publishers / companies continue putting out these cheap boxes in recycled DVD cases with nothing inside but a disc, I may stop buying them, or just stop buying their games alltogether.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Oberholzer

Peace,

Lascer

Grats on making the 10000 thread on WoW's demise. Age is the major factor really. The fact that it's still as successful as it is after all this time is amazing. I enjoyed my time playing it but finally got bored. It was just time to play something else.

yeah seriously people on this site cannot stand wow and its success , they gotta make thread after thread about how its failing . Yet guild wars 2 is not even close right now to its actual numbers of people playing it. I play both games and can tell you right now that guild wars 2 is no where near as populated as wow is. There is server queues still on a lot of servers in wow and most are hitting high population still. Yes people leave because of its age and fact if you play anything for 2 or 3 years or more , you are going to burn out and try new things. Ive left wow about 6 or 7 times since 2003 beta and have played about every mmorpg out there. But i still buy blizzard games because they release quality , other then D3 that is. MOP is a solid expansion regardless of the hate on this forum about it. Yes there is things people dislike , but there is also plenty of things people do like. People on this forum need to grow up and learn to stop bashing success because they do not agree with the direction of the game they play.

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

Just seeing some numbers come out with box set sales of 650K and digital sales lower than that on MoP. Sub at 12 million then 11 million, almost under 10 million before MoP and im sure a little up from that for now. Is this Blizzard killing itself? or should it not try to release during the same time as AAA MMO's like GW2? Is WOW getting so outdated that it can't compete for new subs anymore? We all know that people come back when expansions hit but it seems they are lossing subs to all the new more updated games that are coming out. To me I can only see the subs going down down and down more from here.

So the question is, is Blizzard killiing WOW or is it other MMO's?

Peace

Lascer

LOL come on was this a shot at calling GW2 a wowkiller again?  Can you fanbois just move on already.  According to your almighty XFIRE GW2 numbers are way down. I dont play either WoW or GW2 but it seems like the GW2 fans are in desperation mode now that MOP has launched. 

• jnserenojnsereno Member UncommonPosts: 43

Why do people think that losing 2 million subs hurts Blizzard so much.

A game with 300k-500k subs is considered a successful MMO, so what does 10million tell you?

The game won't be dead even if they lose 9million subs.

• radagast777radagast777 Member Posts: 80
    I am enjoying the game, just becaue you do not like it doesnt mean its dead to everyone else. it certainly doesnt feel dead, especially with the new cross realm zones where if zones are too empty they bring in people from all different servers. just let it go... i know you are upset that you cant fall in with the popular crowd for some odd reason
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    the dumbing down of wow by wow is killing it.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by jnsereno

Why do people think that losing 2 million subs hurts Blizzard so much.

A game with 300k-500k subs is considered a successful MMO, so what does 10million tell you?

The game won't be dead even if they lose 9million subs.

Oh, for a game developer its not big, but a greedy publisher... yeah... they tend to go "OMG wtf" mode if massive profits drop to being very good profits. Sure, people go crazy as well but if you thinking people jump the gun... oh boy you would cry knowing how insane publishers get. You lose 10% of your population and I bet blizzard probably had people fired for it. 

Still, its slowly dwindling down but its got some time. As much as I feel its a steaming pile of garbage compared to its old self (Sorry, I know so bias and very over-dramatic but its destroyed the game that much) I have no expectations it will be dead anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, its dropping in numbers quite significantly % wise that other game companies would hit the red button for, but its not really that huge of a decline to warrent a closure anytime soon. 

I personally still feel they are slowly dumbing down WoW purposely to barney level to grab the casualist of casual (shush, I can make up words and phrases) until they can't get any more to bite, then release titan after they don't think they can grab any more people to potentially peek on back for nostolgia value.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by shaddy33

Just seeing some numbers come out with box set sales of 650K and digital sales lower than that on MoP. Sub at 12 million then 11 million, almost under 10 million before MoP and im sure a little up from that for now. Is this Blizzard killing itself? or should it not try to release during the same time as AAA MMO's like GW2? Is WOW getting so outdated that it can't compete for new subs anymore? We all know that people come back when expansions hit but it seems they are lossing subs to all the new more updated games that are coming out. To me I can only see the subs going down down and down more from here.

So the question is, is Blizzard killiing WOW or is it other MMO's?

Peace

Lascer

Please link where you read that the digital sales were lower than the box sales please.

I base it off this link, basicly no MMO ever in history has had digital sales be primary, ever, so if this is wrong it would be the first time in history this has happened. Cat sold like 3.3 Million it's first day, 4.7 after a month, MoP won't come close to that. After 2011 there was an increase in digital sales of around 57% from the base of digital sales which is much lower than box. Based off the low box sales and lack luster response on the expansion I'll bet my girlfriend they didn't sell more digital copies, plus she's a pain sometimes so even if i'm wrong i win :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.389561-Mists-of-Pandaria-Opening-Sales-Stumble

Peace

Lascer

You're likely wrong. You can't just take MMOs into account, you should be looking at all of the most recent gaming titles. Diablo III sold more digital copies than boxed if I recall correctly.

That being said, the game is likely still going to see a steady decline as it succumbs to aging systems and graphics.

The point is, like the article says, even if you give the benefit of the doubt on digital sales, lets say they are 2x of what retail is, which is being very generous considering for cataclysm digital sales were only 57% of the sales, that puts them at around 2 million sales.  Whereas cataclysm did 3.3 million in the first day.  Its now been 3 or 4 days.

That is BAD news for blizzard.  VERY bad.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

Do all of you realize that 1 portal come up with the "news" out of some analysts opinion and the rest of portals just c/p it?

As I wrote before, wait for official numbers.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    While I no longer play wow and have no desire to ever play it again. The only way wow will ever die is if project titan wills it.
  • nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

It's just an estimate by some suits who can't really grasp the emotional aspect of people buying games... It's not like buying a new TV or a car, this is an artform we're talking about, after all.

I've seen analysts fall on their face too many times to bat an eye at this anyway.

The truth is, the actual numbers could be *much* higher, or inded, *much* lower - we just don't know!

Personally, I don't care, I got my money's worth from the starting area of the Pandaren alone - that's how good it is (in my eyes). Had to play on an alternate low pop server, seeing how there's 58(!) full servers in the EU atm and my main one with a 3k queue lockout...

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    These are NOT official numbers from blizzard, if VentureBeat are a legit company with access to retail info then all this demonstrates is the death of PC retail, They have zero insight into the digital sales. 

did you bother reading the article? Those numbers were from this company, which is one of the worlds largest investment banks

http://www.lazard.com/

here try again

Sales of the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria expansion have been disappointing, according to investment bank Lazard Capital Markets. The fourth expansion for Blizzard Entertainment’s massively popular online game has sold between 600,000 and 700,000 copies at retail since its launch earlier this week, Lazard estimates.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#SyRsZkIcDTVs2l5v.99

now feel free to attack the source all you want but I serioly doubt that eitehr the site reporting this or the source have any sort of axe to grind

The source is not official, link it as much as you like it will NEVER be official, we don't know how they collected, supplied or indeed verified this data (if at all)- I might as well go ask Dave down the pub.

They even got Cata sales figued wrong.

Let's wait for Blizzards to release official numbers... assuming they do.

as long as Dave down at the pub is a top shelf investment banker with a Ivy league MBA  he would probably tell you the same thing as that article

Face it, WoW had a remarkable run but Blizzard at it's peak was the Blizzard of Diablo II and vanilla WoW. While it is no Funcom it's  spiraling down the bowl and unless they do some major changes wil be there soon

I won't hold my breath on anything official, game companies seldom make press releases saying their game is not selling nearly as well as they thought it would

I miss DAoC

• adis5005adis5005 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Just wait for the quarterly report, they'll release the numbers.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If MoP was a BIG succes we would already know it, the numbers would be there for the world to see it.

Its clearly MoP dint sell good enough for the net to know the 24 hour sales.

There is a major chnase MoP is already a failure sale wise.

I remember hearing TBC sales within 24 hours, it sold millions and millions of copy's and blizzard was very eager to bring out those numbers REAL fast.

Now not so much...

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    So where do you count the 1.2 million players that ponied up for a WoW annual agreement so they could digitally download Diablo 3? Do you think they might have digitally downloaded MoP as well? If not thar wouldn't make much sense. So if you take current box numbers +gaming 1.2 million annuals (that are very likely to upgrade) you have roughly 1.8 million in the first 24 hours. Not a bad start for a game damn near a decade old.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Mothanos

If MoP was a BIG succes we would already know it, the numbers would be there for the world to see it.

Its clearly MoP dint sell good enough for the net to know the 24 hour sales.

There is a major chnase MoP is already a failure sale wise.

I remember hearing TBC sales within 24 hours, it sold millions and millions of copy's and blizzard was very eager to bring out those numbers REAL fast.

Now not so much...

Well, for Cata which was the best selling of all of their expansions, they released the sales data a week after release, so I expect it to be similar for this one (not the best selling expansion part).

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Sorry OP: You made the mistake of writing "numbers" instead of your actual topic in your first paragraph: Derailment ensues...

Old age, top heavy pop and elitism is kiling WoW. I subbed for a few months around WotLK release and again for a month (played a few hours for 5-6 days) about 4 months into Cataclysm.

Not especially thin skinned, but saw NOTHING communitywise that would keep me ingame... Quite the opposite. (And that is on 6-7 different EU servers).

Total newcomers, seemingly needs to be masochists or total idiots to actually stay with this... Much friendlier communities ARE to be found  in other games. 

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Fact: Cataclysm sold more than 3.3 million total at release, announced 6 days after launch.

Let's see if Blizzard is quick to say how many MoP expacs sold in 2 more days. If they stay silent, you know it bombed, if they announce it big, you know that digital sales exceeded expectations, furthermore that the market has dynamically moved over to digital distribution over retail sales as a whole. Right now as it stands it is going to take a LOT of digital sales to make up for the 60% drop in box sales.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by rygard49

I base it off this link, basicly no MMO ever in history has had digital sales be primary, ever, so if this is wrong it would be the first time in history this has happened. Cat sold like 3.3 Million it's first day, 4.7 after a month, MoP won't come close to that. After 2011 there was an increase in digital sales of around 57% from the base of digital sales which is much lower than box. Based off the low box sales and lack luster response on the expansion I'll bet my girlfriend they didn't sell more digital copies, plus she's a pain sometimes so even if i'm wrong i win :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.389561-Mists-of-Pandaria-Opening-Sales-Stumble

Peace

Lascer

You're likely wrong. You can't just take MMOs into account, you should be looking at all of the most recent gaming titles. Diablo III sold more digital copies than boxed if I recall correctly.

That being said, the game is likely still going to see a steady decline as it succumbs to aging systems and graphics.

The point is, like the article says, even if you give the benefit of the doubt on digital sales, lets say they are 2x of what retail is, which is being very generous considering for cataclysm digital sales were only 57% of the sales, that puts them at around 2 million sales.  Whereas cataclysm did 3.3 million in the first day.  Its now been 3 or 4 days.

That is BAD news for blizzard.  VERY bad.

Blizzard made their first official announcement about Cataclysm sales on 12/13/10. Cataclysm was released 12/7/10. That's a difference of 6 days.

So what evidence are you using to support your claim that no released numbers within 4 days is VERY BAD news?

Edit: I miswrote the dates - corrected. Also, here's the link.

This discussion has been closed.