Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW's slow death?

david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Just seeing some numbers come out with box set sales of 650K and digital sales lower than that on MoP. Sub at 12 million then 11 million, almost under 10 million before MoP and im sure a little up from that for now. Is this Blizzard killing itself? or should it not try to release during the same time as AAA MMO's like GW2? Is WOW getting so outdated that it can't compete for new subs anymore? We all know that people come back when expansions hit but it seems they are lossing subs to all the new more updated games that are coming out. To me I can only see the subs going down down and down more from here.

So the question is, is Blizzard killiing WOW or is it other MMO's?

Peace

Lascer

Comments

• ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by david361107

Just seeing some numbers come out with box set sales of 650K and digital sales lower than that on MoP. Sub at 12 million then 11 million, almost under 10 million before MoP and im sure a little up from that for now. Is this Blizzard killing itself? or should it not try to release during the same time as AAA MMO's like GW2? Is WOW getting so outdated that it can't compete for new subs anymore? We all know that people come back when expansions hit but it seems they are lossing subs to all the new more updated games that are coming out. To me I can only see the subs going down down and down more from here.

Peace

Lascer

Please link where you read that the digital sales were lower than the box sales please.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Where did you see those box sale numbers? And where did you see those digital sale numbers? Can you provide a link?

My anecdotal experience is that WoW is crowded atm and GW2 has experienced a noticable drop in population this week. So I'd want to see some evidence that what I am seeing isn't true rather than taking the bait on:

'i heard from something from some guy somewhere , so does that mean the world is ending?'

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Gonna have to put this on a notepad so i can copy and paste it to all these threads lol.

I don't care what the numbers of sales are, but they aren't that low.  I have characters on 3 servers, all of which have had queues during primetime.  One of them hasn't had a queue since TBC.  One of them has a queue all the time.  I logged in last night at 2am central time, and there was a 22 player queue...at 2am central!  There's gotta people alot of people returning lol.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Just seeing some numbers come out with box set sales of 650K and digital sales lower than that on MoP. 

source?

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by shaddy33

Peace

Lascer

Please link where you read that the digital sales were lower than the box sales please.

I base it off this link, basicly no MMO ever in history has had digital sales be primary, ever, so if this is wrong it would be the first time in history this has happened. Cat sold like 3.3 Million it's first day, 4.7 after a month, MoP won't come close to that. After 2011 there was an increase in digital sales of around 57% from the base of digital sales which is much lower than box. Based off the low box sales and lack luster response on the expansion I'll bet my girlfriend they didn't sell more digital copies, plus she's a pain sometimes so even if i'm wrong i win :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.389561-Mists-of-Pandaria-Opening-Sales-Stumble

Peace

Lascer

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Yes, it is undergoing a slow death, however with such high numbers it will be a long long time before it fails, even then when the lights are turned out history will judge it a massive success.

*i have never played Warcraft.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

here is a interesting take

Historically, each new World of Warcraft expansion has outsold its predecessors, Lazard said, but sales of Pandaria are down 60 percent from the previous expansion pack, Cataclysm, which has sold 3.3 million units since its launch in December 2010. While these figures don’t take digital market performance into account, Lazard analyst Atul Bagga believes Pandaria’s digital sales won’t make up for its poor retail performance.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#0A2XAAGrdcF1ccWS.99

I doubt that digital sales have changed that much since Catacalism was released 2 years ago

Also doubt that Venturebeat being a investment site has any sort of axe to grind with Blizzard. Take it for whatever it is worth to you, but just my 2 cents worth is that WOW is getting long in the tooth design wise. Not many products of this sort go on forever, ask SOE. They thought EQ wuld always be king of the hiil

I miss DAoC

So everyone knows, i'm not WOW bashing, did enough of that after CAT, and well deserved bashing i must say. But I played WOW for 6 years and had lots of fun. The point of the post is not numbers, it's what do you think is killing it? Is it blizzard or other MMO's?

Peace,

Lascer

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Peace

Lascer

I base it off this link, basicly no MMO ever in history has had digital sales be primary, ever, so if this is wrong it would be the first time in history this has happened. Cat sold like 3.3 Million it's first day, 4.7 after a month, MoP won't come close to that. After 2011 there was an increase in digital sales of around 57% from the base of digital sales which is much lower than box. Based off the low box sales and lack luster response on the expansion I'll bet my girlfriend they didn't sell more digital copies, plus she's a pain sometimes so even if i'm wrong i win :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.389561-Mists-of-Pandaria-Opening-Sales-Stumble

Peace

Lascer

You're likely wrong. You can't just take MMOs into account, you should be looking at all of the most recent gaming titles. Diablo III sold more digital copies than boxed if I recall correctly.

That being said, the game is likely still going to see a steady decline as it succumbs to aging systems and graphics.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Move on.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    These are NOT official numbers from blizzard, if VentureBeat are a legit company with access to retail info then all this demonstrates is the death of PC retail, They have zero insight into the digital sales. 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I base it off this link, basicly no MMO ever in history has had digital sales be primary, ever, so if this is wrong it would be the first time in history this has happened. 

i dont have the sources

but  I believe both EQ and EQ2 had expansions where digital was greater than box sales

especially w EQ2 Destiny of Velious 2 years ago

Originally posted by rygard49

Peace

Lascer

Peace

Lascer

You're likely wrong. You can't just take MMOs into account, you should be looking at all of the most recent gaming titles. Diablo III sold more digital copies than boxed if I recall correctly.

That being said, the game is likely still going to see a steady decline as it succumbs to aging systems and graphics.

No sure if they will ever release the digital copies or not, you know how Blizzard is. But as it says, it would be the first time in history an MMO digital sales would pass box sales, just don't see MoP doing that.

Originally posted by Nadia

I base it off this link, basicly no MMO ever in history has had digital sales be primary, ever, so if this is wrong it would be the first time in history this has happened. 

i dont have the sources

but  I believe both EQ and EQ2 had expansions where digital was greater than box sales

especially w EQ2 Destiny of Velious 2 years ago

Look at the link I posted and the source is pretty solid, don't think this statement of yours is correct but then again?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by expresso
    These are NOT official numbers from blizzard, if VentureBeat are a legit company with access to retail info then all this demonstrates is the death of PC retail, They have zero insight into the digital sales. 

did you bother reading the article? Those numbers were from this company, which is one of the worlds largest investment banks

http://www.lazard.com/

here try again

Sales of the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria expansion have been disappointing, according to investment bank Lazard Capital Markets. The fourth expansion for Blizzard Entertainment’s massively popular online game has sold between 600,000 and 700,000 copies at retail since its launch earlier this week, Lazard estimates.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#SyRsZkIcDTVs2l5v.99

now feel free to attack the source all you want but I serioly doubt that eitehr the site reporting this or the source have any sort of axe to grind

I miss DAoC

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Jackdog

did you bother reading the article? Those numbers were from this company, which is one of the worlds largest investment banks

here try again

Sales of the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria expansion have been disappointing, according to investment bank Lazard Capital Markets. The fourth expansion for Blizzard Entertainment’s massively popular online game has sold between 600,000 and 700,000 copies at retail since its launch earlier this week, Lazard estimates.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#SyRsZkIcDTVs2l5v.99

now feel free to attack the source all you want but I serioly doubt that eitehr the site reporting this or the source have any sort of axe to grind

The source is not official, link it as much as you like it will NEVER be official, we don't know how they collected, supplied or indeed verified this data (if at all)- I might as well go ask Dave down the pub.

They even got Cata sales figued wrong.

Let's wait for Blizzards to release official numbers... assuming they do.

here try again

Yes it's all over the Internet today about these numbers and the source is solid. Reading down the response it's funny how some are like "i'm on servers and there are people there all over the place and I have to que to get into bg's and stuff so those numbers have to be wrong"

I didn't want this post to be, are these number right? we all know for a fact that MoP sales are lower than anything expansion that Blizzard has put out. For the the fun of it, lets just say they sold 2 Million, nice round number. So do you think it's Blizzard killing WOW or all the new MMO's that are out?

Yes it's all over the Internet today about these numbers and the source is solid. Reading down the response it's funny how some are like "i'm on servers and there are people there all over the place and I have to que to get into bg's and stuff so those numbers have to be wrong"

The funny thing about your post is that GW2 fans have been using the same "evidence" for the past few days for why their game isn't seeing a mass exodus. Servers full, lots of people, etc.

You're right, it's not an indication of anything, and it doesn't prove whether sales are good or bad.

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

So everyone knows, i'm not WOW bashing, did enough of that after CAT, and well deserved bashing i must say. But I played WOW for 6 years and had lots of fun. The point of the post is not numbers, it's what do you think is killing it? Is it blizzard or other MMO's?

Peace,

Lascer

Age devours all. :)

You said yourself - played for six years, had lots of fun. Could you watch reruns of your favorite show for six years? Eat at your favorite fast food place over and over for that long. It is natural while people in general are stuck in and often prefer our routines, we need variety and a sense of "new".

Human nature is killing WoW, people interested have been there done that. It doesn't make WoW bad or in a position of failng to thrive. And I don't know if the saying "everything old is new again" applies to game expansions. Right now, I don't feel I can go back.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

jus cauyse it didnt sell as well as xpected doesnt mean it dyin after all no company can grow forever :)

only time will tell if wow is dyin or not.

i think tht its cause theyve given in to those tht wanna run thru the content thtll cause th downfall wen it happens.

since all is built round speed now for ex no keys or attunement is faster for the runners to get into the instances n thru em :),n now with the last move makin class trainers only train dual spec n after tht obsolete again help for speeders who doesnt need to go back to town to train :) well thts my opinnion of it anyway

Originally posted by rygard49

Peace

Lascer

Peace

Lascer

No sure if they will ever release the digital copies or not, you know how Blizzard is. But as it says, it would be the first time in history an MMO digital sales would pass box sales, just don't see MoP doing that.

It would also be the first time in history an MMO has ever been so easy to purchase digitally. I posted this in another thread as well, but the game was pre-downloaded and required just a few clicks to upgrade via the browser or the client itself. I'm surprised box sales are even that high.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

here try again

The source is not official, link it as much as you like it will NEVER be official, we don't know how they collected, supplied or indeed verified this data (if at all)- I might as well go ask Dave down the pub.

They even got Cata sales figued wrong.

Let's wait for Blizzards to release official numbers... assuming they do.

I can promise you one thing - if those figures aren't accurate Blizzard will be releasing figures and soon!

Stock prices and the company's reputation is at stake. The longer Blizzard is silent on this, the more sure you can be those estimates were either accurate or optimistic.

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    I never buy ANY mmo retail just sayin....whats the point with digital i can download it with my fast internet as soon as anything is released...only way i'd buy retail is if they had a very awesome collector's edition...
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

So OP, you're relly sticking with the 650K retail and even LESS digital for a total of less than 1.25M? Really?

I have to say, even the most dedicated hater would dismiss your numbers flat out. I'm sure those that disklike WoW/Blizzard would love to see thos enumbers be true...but seriously...no...

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Like it or not Blizzard and Sony are the industry standard. Investors want a return, not a gamers responce.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
This discussion has been closed.