Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason for GW2 Anti-Social aspects

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

(mod edit)

Many players stopped using chat and removed that  chat tab and focus 100% on guild chat.

Smart players join guilds and ignore the PUG crud.

Comments

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Im still wondering where this "NOONE IN GW2 IS BEING SOCIAL" rubbish is coming from. I've found no evidence of this while i've been playing.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

We see many more new threads started on why GW2 is anti-social and the mods here will create a sticky thread to fold this conversation up into.

But you're right, would be a contributing factor, but by no means the greatest or the only one.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Many players stopped using chat and removed that  chat tab and focus 100% on guild chat.

I take offence to the green statement. But I support your right to have this narrow minded view.

To me is sounds just like high-school and listening to a group of "we-are-better-than-you" snobs.

I also think it is this attitude promotes anti-social behavior.

My 2 cents, take it or leave it on the floor where it was found.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    They must be all playing it wrong, it can't be a fault in the game design.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I think Kylerans avatar is the perfect response to the OP. There's plenty of chatter in guild, plenty of chatter in towns and yes, there's not a whole lot out in the world, but then again I'm usually too busy to type.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by Four0Six

I take offence to the green statement. But I support your right to have this narrow minded view.

To me is sounds just like high-school and listening to a group of "we-are-better-than-you" snobs.

Gasp! Someone pointed out that in order to be social in an mmo, you join a social experience (guilds), and avoiding it while complaining that the game is anti-social is stupid. They are clearly an elitist snob.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Sciva
    Im still wondering where this "NOONE IN GW2 IS BEING SOCIAL" rubbish is coming from. I've found no evidence of this while i've been playing.

I am still working on 100% map completion with a side dabble of WvW and although my server Sanctum of Rall is in 3rd place in this weeks matchup all I ever see is friendly and informative socializing in /m chat.  From Orr to Metrica Province.  I took a break last night working on Orr completion and started at the other end of the map completion spectrum in the 1-15 zone and the same holds true there as well. I would also like to add that the Asuran is supposed to be one of the lowest populated races and the map was completely alive last night.

IMO GW2 is the most social and community conducive MMO in a long time.  I'd take the chat here anyday over the likes of "Barrens Chat" or Chuck Norris and Your Mom jokes seen littered WoW's chat since forever.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

It is not that GW2 is anti-social. 

It is more that it is not rewarding socializing and anything more than most basic cooperation in what is considered unique to mmorpg gameplay.

Propably most social and cooperation rewarding place in WvWvW. 

Of course cooperation is important in dungeons in same way like in any other mmorpg or co-op instanced game.

Arenas also reward cooperation but it is same like in any other MOBA games.

Other parts of GW2 those that are most unique to mmorpg's - economy, crafting, open world content, server communities just don't have much that reward cooperation and socialization.

It is NOT bad design.  It is ok.   Just it got flak from those people that expected socialization and long-term coopearation in areas that are rare outside of mmorpg games.  Only real gameplay that is a bit restircted to mmorpg's and that is encouragiong cooperation and socializaatioon in GW2 is WvWvW. 

Though because it is instanced and separated from rest of game and thus feel like separate mini-game - then games like M&B are getting dangerously close and in close future that type of gameplay if it is so separated from permanent world might not be exclusive or almost exclusive to mmorpg's.

GW2 will propably just good, some playerbase may leave.  Enough will stay though and maybe future expansion will bring more people.  

But it will be best when it will be more clear to general mmorpg playerbase what kind of gameplay GW2 offers.

It just got flak because hype and marketing was so huge, so many people projected diffrent expectations and not it is getting bit of flame.

EVERY single big release is getting flamed by some parts of players because it is advertised to all sorts of players and because of that it cannot cater to them all.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Gasp! Someone pointed out that in order to be social in an mmo, you join a social experience (guilds), and avoiding it while complaining that the game is anti-social is stupid. They are clearly an elitist snob.

"Pointing out" =/= calling people dumb.

Urging the participation in a guild to enhance the "social experiance" would be a better choice. When you approach it the way the OP does, you might just stick with "you are playing, this game ANet advertised as Play-How-You-Want, wrong".

Your statement seems to imply that the ONLY social aspect of MMOs comes through a guild. Again, arguably a "narrow minded" view.

I was not part of ANY of the cliques ot my high school. Not a "Jock", "Redneck", "Stoner", "Prep", or any of the other "guilds"...You know what it got me in the end of it all?.....I knew all my classmates, and they voted me "Most Original".

But I am old and come from a different time.

Meh

Edit: Furthermore, I would argue that the single most UN-social manuver, is to turn off chat, unless ofcourse you socialize through telepathy.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    GW2 could greatly benefit from integrated voice chat. EQ2 has a good one and if it was implemented in GW2 it may solve this problem some people have... Then again it may cause more problems.

The movement nature if GW2 combat and the way events unfold and continue it's no surprise people aren't taking time to chat. It's still up to the player however.

I am a group/guild/whisper window person. I will switch to general in towns, unless it's out of control or rapid fire, but in the field I still say thanks or even whisper a line or two with someone.

No, GW2 is not based around social interaction, most MMOs out right now aren't, but you can still be social on your own.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    They must be all playing it wrong, it can't be a fault in the game design.

I've decided that after all these years, I am definitely playing MMORPG's wrong, because so many people disagree with my theories on this subject.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Urging the participation in a guild to enhance the "social experiance" would be a better choice. When you approach it the way the OP does, you might just stick with "you are playing, this game ANet advertised as Play-How-You-Want, wrong".

Your statement seems to imply that the ONLY social aspect of MMOs comes through a guild. Again, arguably a "narrow minded" view.

I was not part of ANY of the cliques ot my high school. Not a "Jock", "Redneck", "Stoner", "Prep", or any of the other "guilds"...You know what it got me in the end of it all?.....I knew all my classmates, and they voted me "Most Original".

Meh

Edit: Furthermore, I would argue that the single most UN-social manuver, is to turn off chat, unless ofcourse you socialize through telepathy.

Arguable indeed since there's nothing narrow-minded about it. A fact is not narrow-minded, it exists regardless of whether you like it or not. This is not the day and age of Ultima or Everquest anymore, if you can't accept that, leave the MMOs alone. It's not going to change. Ever. Social interaction is no longer required, it is offered, that offering coming in the form of guilds and gatherings like it. If you want social interaction, you seek those forums out, and if you don't then you have no right to complain that no one is talking to you. Turning chat off is not merely a means of staying reclusive, it also means avoiding trolls, stupid world chat, drama and gold sellers. I would argue that it is your view that is the narrow one, and I'd do so effectively.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Meh

Arguable indeed since there's nothing narrow-minded about it. A fact is not narrow-minded, it exists regardless of whether you like it or not. This is not the day and age of Ultima or Everquest anymore, if you can't accept that, leave the MMOs alone. It's not going to change. Ever. Social interaction is no longer required, it is offered, that offering coming in the form of guilds and gatherings like it. If you want social interaction, you seek those forums out, and if you don't then you have no right to complain that no one is talking to you. Turning chat off is not merely a means of staying reclusive, it also means avoiding trolls, stupid world chat, drama and gold sellers. I would argue that it is your view that is the narrow one, and I'd do so effectively.

Come on, it's clearly not a "fact" that guilds are the only social outlets in an MMO, and you're incredibly obtuse for suggesting that.

And once again another person whose basic argument boils down to, "If you don't like this aspect of a game, GTFO of the genre entirely." Narrow-minded describes you perfectly.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This belongs in the original thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366075

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.