Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's a Beautiful World

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

My mesmer :D. Mesmer all day~

Originally posted by TheIronLegion

nice sets:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

nice sets:)

thanks

/10charmanders

• AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124

I realy dont understand why everybody say this world is so beatiful. It realy isn't. Compared to other games the Gfx in GW2 is mediocre. Many of you say that Gfx is a matter of taste, but i tend to disagree on that. If you say that GW2 have better graphics than TSW then that is not a matter of taste, it is is simply wrong. Gw2 have nice Art direction, and the game look nice to some degree, but to say that it is the best MMO on the marked is just plain wrong and nothing but fanboiism. The GW2 world have good looking details and im sure it is created with love, but it is not as good as some of you say it is. Isnt it direct X 9 also? it is 2012 now. thats a bit old.

Originally posted by Andistotle

I realy dont understand why everybody say this world is so beatiful. It realy isn't. Compared to other games the Gfx in GW2 is mediocre. Many of you say that Gfx is a matter of taste, but i tend to disagree on that. If you say that GW2 have better graphics than TSW then that is not a matter of taste, it is is simply wrong. Gw2 have nice Art direction, and the game look nice to some degree, but to say that it is the best MMO on the marked is just plain wrong and nothing but fanboiism. The GW2 world have good looking details and im sure it is created with love, but it is not as good as some of you say it is. Isnt it direct X 9 also? it is 2012 now. thats a bit old.

You sound like you're making a point until you said the word "wrong". You basically just said everyones opinion is wrong. Guild Wars 2 is an incredible looking game. It doesnt matter if game X uses tesselation, or game Y has more bloom than GW2; the fact remains that it looks incredible. Just because The Secret world has some tesselated walk ways doesn't mean that "visually" it is more appealing. Personally, I found its graphics to be rather dull. The colour pallete and art style just didnt sit well with me. The kind of washed out greys and monochromatic environments tended to drain me. The art direction combined with the effects it achieves create some very nice visual effects.

The DX9 argument is old and moot. What you fail to realize is that DX9 is just as powerful as DX11. DX11 has a few nifty features, but with intelligent coding the same features can be achieved. There are already Direct X 9 tesselation shades created as mods for certain engines. This argument is like saying My car is better because it has a back up camera, It's the same exact car with the same gas mileage, but it has a Back up camera. DX11 did nothing more than take things developers wanted in DX9 and added them to the default library.

So yes, Guild wars 2 is most likely the best looking 'new' game on the market. It looks incredible both graphically and artistically.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

My, but you have an overinflated sense of self-importance. If you don't think it is the most beautiful world that you have encountered, then fine, but don't attempt to dictate to others what they can and can't find aesthetically pleasing. Personally, I find the likes of Ryzom with its ageing graphics to be better looking than most modern MMO's. That same mindset applies to Guild Wars 2. Art direction takes precedence over cutting-edge graphics ANY day for me, and there is nothing wrong with that. Arguing otherwise is futile because your opinion is only that - an opinion, which to me is as "simply wrong" as our opinions are to you. 

• NickcsNickcs Member UncommonPosts: 50

My lvl 80 Guardian in Lion's Arch.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Lornar's pass is simply amazing. It has such a wonderful sense of scale. It really feels like you are traversing mountains. Besides GW2 only Skyrim gave me this feeling.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    GW2 is, to me, one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful and detailled MMORPG world ever created.

I absolutely agree.  The attention to detail amazes me and this is the first game where I actually stop to take screenshots on a fairly regular basis.

You sound like you're making a point until you said the word "wrong". You basically just said everyones opinion is wrong. Guild Wars 2 is an incredible looking game. It doesnt matter if game X uses tesselation, or game Y has more bloom than GW2; the fact remains that it looks incredible. Just because The Secret world has some tesselated walk ways doesn't mean that "visually" it is more appealing. Personally, I found its graphics to be rather dull. The colour pallete and art style just didnt sit well with me. The kind of washed out greys and monochromatic environments tended to drain me. The art direction combined with the effects it achieves create some very nice visual effects.

The DX9 argument is old and moot. What you fail to realize is that DX9 is just as powerful as DX11. DX11 has a few nifty features, but with intelligent coding the same features can be achieved. There are already Direct X 9 tesselation shades created as mods for certain engines. This argument is like saying My car is better because it has a back up camera, It's the same exact car with the same gas mileage, but it has a Back up camera. DX11 did nothing more than take things developers wanted in DX9 and added them to the default library.

So yes, Guild wars 2 is most likely the best looking 'new' game on the market. It looks incredible both graphically and artistically.

The point is that I dont think graphics quality is a matter of subjective tase. It is a matter of objective truth. There are many that say that the game they are playing are the best looking game on the marked, just because it's their favorite game. Because of fanboyism pepole wants their game to be the best no matter what, im not saying everyone does this, but I have a impression that many do. GW2 has very nice art direction, I do agree on that. I think the developers have hold back on the graphics so that the game would run on as many computers as possible.  A game can look artistically good, and at the same time have mediocre graphics.

• Brisky29Brisky29 Member Posts: 65

Very nice thread. Love all the pictures and seeing the adventures folks are having. I too am falling for the beautiful game world. The exploration factor alone will keep me coming back to GW2 for a long time.

Happy adventures all!

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

The point is that I dont think graphics quality is a matter of subjective tase. It is a matter of objective truth. There are many that say that the game they are playing are the best looking game on the marked, just because it's their favorite game. Because of fanboyism pepole wants their game to be the best no matter what, im not saying everyone does this, but I have a impression that many do. GW2 has very nice art direction, I do agree on that. I think the developers have hold back on the graphics so that the game would run on as many computers as possible.  A game can look artistically good, and at the same time have mediocre graphics.

Why is this guy arguing with himself? I'm so confused.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    GW2' world as seen in 3D Vision 2 is pretty much the only thing that keeps me in game. Props to devs for making beautiful game on such shitty engine
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

The game world is very beautiful and amazing looking I run my game a mid settings and it looks excellent here some of my screens.

imageimage

Hope you enjoy.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Your point still makes very little sense as does this paragraph. People don't think the game looks good, because it's their favorite. They think it is the best looking game out, because it is aesthetically pleasing to them. Their may be no super high end Crysis 3 effects going on, but the game presents itself very well. It is not an objective truth; Honestly there are people that think Crysis 1, 2, and 3 look like horse shit compared to Battlefield 3. Yes on a technical scale other games are more "advanced" than Guild Wars 2, but Guild Wars 2 is still a beautiful game.

Your argument is like saying that a painting in an art gallery is 'ugly' because it was painted with oils. Clearly the painting is a work of art and pure genious and the artist's knowledge of the use of oil far surpasses anyone elses, but because it's not watercolor(your favorite) then it's a pile of steaming poo.

Basically you are arguing that game's graphics are objective while giving a subjective opinion. Very strange.

Edit: by your logic this picture should have the best graphics ever:

The active effects are ScreenSpaceAmbientOcclusion(SSAO), Global Illumination, Subsurface Scattering, Realtime reflections, per pixel surface lighting, tesselation(though its not very visible), high cache texture filtering, crepuscular rays[god rays](though not visible either), and depth of field. I rendered this in CInema 4D and made it in like 5 minutes. These should be the best looking cubes ever, well by your logic anyhow.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Cital
    Tera's world is the prettiest I've came across so far :o

graphics and aesthetics are very differn't and obviously very subjective.. TERA has the higher polygon count and is very good looking but imho GW2 has a MUCH better put together world. I actually want to explore the world of Tyria and is actually one of my favorite things in the game

There are a few particular areas in Tera that just blow away anything in GW2 in my opinion, but I would agree that overall the total world design of GW2 is much better.

• MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60

Awesome nightmare armor with great lighting :).

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

GW2 is a stunning looking game, no doubt about that.

But I'm spoiled in that respect, all I see is low poly counts and heavy shader use - end result looks awesome in places, but isn't consistently so.

A given scene in WoW can have a higher poly count that GW2 - granted, WoW won't look as impressive, but I like more "busy" looking scenes.

Still, props to Arenanet for making a relatively hardware demanding game in a genre dominated by the lowest common denominator design philosophy. MMOs need a true breaktrough to single player level of gfx quality, badly.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Edit: by your logic this picture should have the best graphics ever:

The active effects are ScreenSpaceAmbientOcclusion(SSAO), Global Illumination, Subsurface Scattering, Realtime reflections, per pixel surface lighting, tesselation(though its not very visible), high cache texture filtering, crepuscular rays[god rays](though not visible either), and depth of field. I rendered this in CInema 4D and made it in like 5 minutes. These should be the best looking cubes ever, well by your logic anyhow.

That's a beautiful picture! :P

Joke aside, I think some people just mean "graphically most advanced" when they say "best looking". That'd make sense, then, as GW2 is probably not the most graphically advanced MMO out there (though I still think it does more in this regard than people give it credit for).

As for "beauty", well, that one is surely not only about high resolution, more detail or realism. Or else we'd have to call many classic paintings "ugly".

To me, yeah GW2 is a beautiful game, but not the one with "best graphics".

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    It truly is a beautiful game. now if only i had the experience to actually get my images to post here. odd.....