Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In my opinion, GW2 is what SWTOR shouldve been..........

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

Graphics (Wildlife, swimming, moving NPCS, etc)------------GW2 > SWTOR

I actually prefer SWTOR's art style and look more than GW2. As for life of the zones, yea GW2 takes it. I'd call it a tie here.

Sound (Voice acting, background noise, music)---------------GW2 > SWTOR

No. SWTOR trumps GW2 in sound in everything but background tracks. 

Basic (or more) MMO features at launch-------------------------GW2 > SWTOR

Depends. GW2 lacks player to player trading and raiding, if you'd call that a basic MMO feature.

Better Race (species) selection and Character Customization----------GW2 > SWTOR

Agree here. They made a big mistake not including less human races in SWTOR.

Non-crap AH with easy UI---------------------------------------------GW2 > SWTOR

Agree with this. Finding an item in SWTOR's GTN is a pain.

Loading screens that dont take forever----------------------------GW2 > SWTOR

Agree.

Better Guild and Social options and features--------------------GW2 > SWTOR

Agree.

Better CS support--------------------------------------------------------GW2 >  SWTOR

Disagree. I've contacted CS twice for GW2 already and didn't have a good experience to say the least. While for SWTOR I called there support at 3 AM EST, got an actual person and was in the game with issue fixed in 10 mins.

Comparing these really doesn't do much of anything though, the games are two different beasts. SWTOR is for the more traditional MMO player that enjoys endgame and such, while GW2 is for those that want a different play style with less focus on leveling. After putting around 40 hours in GW2, I can say for sure SWTOR feels more smooth when playing though. GW2 feels a bit like playing in mud, if there was a way to describe it, but it's good for what it is - a game I don't have to sub up for. Plan on buying every expansion they put out, if only to support Arena Net.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Originally posted by Phry

the OP's statements do however seem more than a little.. optimistic, GW2 and SW;TOR do however have something in common, crashing and burning after launch.. although GW2 seems to be trying to win that particular race.. and might even succeed beyond their own expectations image

GW2 hasn't even crashed or burned; it's barely the first month.

Seriously, it annoys me whenever people claim something should die just because it doesn't fit their tastes.

Exactly Phrys comments are a bit stupid given GW2 topped the boxed sales PC chart on the week ending the 15 th sepember selling 92,000 units ( this doesn't count the digital downloads which account for most sales these days ) .

Unlike Phrys I still play GW2 its packed . Even at the lower levels . So if selling millions of copys of a game in the first month and continue to shift vast numbers every week still is his definition of crashing and burning then hes got to be a troll .

Its far too soon to make such a comment . If you look at the WoW forums and go back to some of the earliest posts theres plenty of people like Phry saying the same thing of WoW 7 years ago .

What idiots they look now .

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Although GW2 seems to be better in most aspects of the game....the fun lasted longer for me in SWTOR. There i had something to do for 2-3 months. Here in GW2 i got bored after 3-4 weeks of endless zerging. Looks like its not so easy to determine fun.

I prefer a deep storyline in my games, and GW2 has just no story besides the personal one, which is also only descently written and full of clichees.

Hodor!

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by observer

Graphics (Wildlife, swimming, moving NPCS, etc)------------GW2 < SWTOR

Sound (Voice acting, background noise, music)---------------GW2 < SWTOR

Basic (or more) MMO features at launch-------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Better Race (species) selection and Character Customization----------GW2 < SWTOR

Non-crap AH with easy UI---------------------------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Loading screens that dont take forever----------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Better Guild and Social options and features--------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Better CS support--------------------------------------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

I disagree with the Voice Acting.  Swtor hired professionals to do them, and most of them have worked in Anime, Audiobooks, and Movies.

About the same with Basic Features.

Disagree with better CS support, but i never really need customer service.

About the same with Guild and Social options.

And I disagree with you. I listened to the SW:TOR voice overs. They were well done, yes but rather drab. It was like listening to Neo(from the matrix) reading from a phone book. Some scenes were very exciting, but most were just...conversation. The GW2 voice actors, while cheesey at times, are lively and active and generally a lot of fun to listen to. Listening to a farmer tell her cows to defend themselves and complain that she shouldve bought tougher cows never seems to get old. Or the small things your player says when getting certain buffs. "This rose has thorns; HERE THEY ARE!" or "GO ahead hit me, I dare you!" when you get retaliation. "I can outrun a centaur" when gaining swiftness... or even when you explore and discover something new "A new place to explore, I can't wait!" and your character sounds so excited to be there. Every time I hear my toons voice after discovering an area it makes me just want to delve in and see what's there.

Though I think my favorite is "Is it just me, or am I amaaaaazing" when getting achievements.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 is warhammer done right
    Tsw is swtor done right (well until endgame)
  • TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Draron
    *snip*

No. SWTOR trumps GW2 in sound in everything but background tracks. 

*snip*

*snip*

I have to disagree the sound design of the game is incredibly well done. Voices behind walls and around corners are muffled as well as gun shots and cannon fire(and other assorted sound effects). The music is incredible I will agree with you there. Jeremy Soule is a genious and has earned his reputation as a top notch composer. also there are a lot more voices in the game over all. SW:TOR had great scenes where you're making decisions and talking to NPC's, but beyond that it was the usual. GW2 has conversation EVERYWHERE. Even the little children in towns talk. "I saw Minister Caudecus beat up a centaur with his BARE HANDS!"

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

IMHO if SWG or SWtor would have had an active combat system similar to GW2 it would easily be number 1 right now..

For me personally i cant immerse myself into a SW based game that has mostly stand still and shoot/swing combat when the movies combat are so action oriented and active..

Its likely the missing link that is preventing lucas arts from having an amazing and ongoing success with this IP..

Combine a cool form of somewhat active action combat with an updated SWG style of galaxy and Starwars owns everything..

Playing GW2..

No the combat system was the least of swtor problems.

It's main problems were
    "corridoryness"
    Loneliness
    Shoehorning of fantasy mmo standards - I mean mail boxes in sci-fi ffs!
    Being too much like wow, but not doing those wow like things as well as wow
    Sterile barren lifeless environment
    Sound / voice /.music wise tsw beats them both

You can't go wrong with the star wars music though can you, but I would give gw2 the edge sound wise overall
  • PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by DMKano

Graphics (Wildlife, swimming, moving NPCS, etc)------------GW2 < SWTOR

Better Race (species) selection and Character Customization----------GW2 < SWTOR

Non-crap AH with easy UI---------------------------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Better CS support--------------------------------------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Umm so SWTOR > GW2 in every way?

With that statement I would agree LOL. besides lots of features were added in SWTOR that were not in 1st month. So maybe you should give a try:) and...

I absolutely love my characters :) nothing can beat them imho :) and a secret :) my chiss lady has red metalic eyes, red metalic lips and red metalic n*** guess what :) nothing can beat that EVER

Click on pics to enlarge /grin

imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimageimageimageimageimage

I really hope you realize those pics of your characters don't look that spectacular to those who have no emotional tie to them (aka. everyone else but you and Star Wars Fans).

Just to mention, GW2 and even old dog LoTRO beats SW:ToR in terms of vistas, so nothing to see there.

Depends. GW2 lacks player to player trading and raiding, if you'd call that a basic MMO feature.

It doesn't lack trading, don't speak against your better knowledge. It's called mailing in GW2, but it's still that same trading from one player to another. And you don't need to find a mailbox to mail things, just target player, right click and choose send mail. Faster, better and new way compared to WoW clones.

Comparing these really doesn't do much of anything though, the games are two different beasts. SWTOR is for the more traditional MMO player that enjoys endgame and such, while GW2 is for those that want a different play style with less focus on leveling. After putting around 40 hours in GW2, I can say for sure SWTOR feels more smooth when playing though. GW2 feels a bit like playing in mud, if there was a way to describe it, but it's good for what it is - a game I don't have to sub up for. Plan on buying every expansion they put out, if only to support Arena Net.

I know one shouldn't talk bad about dead, but the only thing SW:ToR had well done was cloning the artstyle and sounds of the movies.

It was the U.S.S.R. of MMOs and I hope no one ever again experiments on that department.

Originally posted by Pelaaja

I really hope you realize those pics of your characters don't look that spectacular to those who have no emotional tie to them (aka. everyone else but you and Star Wars Fans).

Just to mention, GW2 and even old dog LoTRO beats SW:ToR in terms of vistas, so nothing to see there.

I really hope you realize your opinion =/= fact. I'm not looking at the game as a Star Wars fan, and I like SWTOR's art style and look more than GW2 and by far LoTRO. Can chock it up to a matter of taste, I guess. 

It doesn't lack trading, don't speak against your better knowledge. It's called mailing in GW2, but it's still that same trading from one player to another. And you don't need to find a mailbox to mail things, just target player, right click and choose send mail. Faster, better and new way compared to WoW clones.

If you really wanna call mailing the substitute for trading face to face, I don't know what to say. You don't have to try and make up for GW2's shortcomings. Mailing to trade is like placing blind trust in someone, it's not a substitute for it.

Originally posted by Pelaaja

I really hope you realize your opinion =/= fact. I'm not looking at the game as a Star Wars fan, and I like SWTOR's art style and look more than GW2 and by far LoTRO. Can chock it up to a matter of taste, I guess. 

Of course it's a matter of taste, otherwise we would be including sources in these conversations.

But you're not entirely sincere with your non-star-wars-fan-attitude. I happened to notice your sweet moment with Sevenstar61 at the SWTOR-forum.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    A quality sandbox with lightsabres and a Star Wars-y feel to it, sounds good to me.

SWG pre cu.

Didn't get any better than that game.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Gw2 is warhammer done right

Exactly what I thought after a few hours play; PQs were a great idea, but they actually work in GW2.

I bet WAR would pronounce 'Centaur' correctly though! :/

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Graphics (Wildlife, swimming, moving NPCS, etc)------------GW2 > SWTOR

The underwater combat is amazing but as for character animation and whatnot, SWTOR was better

Ah no I disagree, SWTOR's voice acting and cutscenes were far better, the story cutscenes in GW2 are meh, despite me being a spacebar junkie in SWTOR, I think they were better than GW2's.

SWTOR's content even 6 months later is sitll shallow.

Better Race (species) selection and Character Customization----------GW2 > SWTOR

I say they're about even between the two games
    [quote]
    Non-crap AH with easy UI---------------------------------------------GW2 > SWTOR
    Oh yes the BLTP is amazingly simple to use

Loading screens that dont take forever----------------------------GW2 > SWTOR

Actually GW2 load times has gotten longer over the patches, although Corellia and Voss took over 2 minutes to load.

Better Guild and Social options and features--------------------GW2 > SWTOR

This is why my guild is loving this game, we hated SWTOR because it gave no benefit as a guild.

Better CS support--------------------------------------------------------GW2 >  SWTOR

EA/BW's support were terrible, I've dealt with them numerous times, Anet's support are responsive (read their account/tech forums) and they ARE addressing issues and telling us about it.

Edit: lemme add another one

PvP (open and instanced) GW2 > SWTOR

Simply because world vs world offers endless fun (I will be playing that for years just like I did with FPS games) and tournament pvp is a blast. Ilum was a horrible fiasco and with just 15-20 people on the screen it lagged so badly, the warzones got stale very quickly and the balance was so far off.

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by DMKano

Graphics (Wildlife, swimming, moving NPCS, etc)------------GW2 < SWTOR

Umm so SWTOR > GW2 in every way?

With that statement I would agree LOL. besides lots of features were added in SWTOR that were not in 1st month. So maybe you should give a try:) and...

I absolutely love my characters :) nothing can beat them imho :) and a secret :) my chiss lady has red metalic eyes, red metalic lips and red metalic n*** guess what :) nothing can beat that EVER

Click on pics to enlarge /grin

imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Honestly, I am not a fan of SWTOR Graphic, IMHO The model, Texture, VRays, Animation in SWTOR feels cheap for me.

• WendettaWendetta Member Posts: 30

There is a reason SWTOR is going to F2P in less than 10 months with a $150-300 million budget but that is another topic. 

So let me guess, the reason why GW2 is B2P (with a cash shop to boot) is because ANet knew well in advance that this game would not be able to hold onto subscribers, right? 

The way some people spin the F2P/P2P factor into their favour is moronically ingenious!

If a game that you dont like is going F2P = great joy that the game is failing.

If the game that you like is already somewhat F2P = great innovation in the entire MMO genre.

Double standards, Again, at its poorest. And if you dint want to post the bait, then you shouldnt have. Shows complete lack of wisdom to say some gibberish and THEN add a "but that is another topic." disclaimer to save face at the end of you rant.  

And your opinions are your own so feel more than welcome to post them in a civil manner here since everyone got an anus and all that, but you know...SWTOR wasnt any spectacular success that you need to feel the compulsion to compare it to GW2. What do you want to prove by comparing what "in your opinion" is a runaway success (your favourite GW2) to a quite underwhelming game (SWTOR)? Is it some form of gaining a sense of conceited smugness while picking faults to someone else's game with immature logic just because you can point and make fun of them? Or is it because you know that GW2 will fall flat on the face if you compare it to the real behemoths of the MMO industry (like WoW or EvE, "IMO")?

Some people like SWTOR and some like GW2 and then a few like both and then again some like neither...but oh yea we all gotta voice our hubris by belittling the competition since we all are unique little snowflakes, right? image

Proud Member of the A.F-D-A. [Anti Fanboy-Defense-Army]Association for a Better Tomorrow or [A.F-D-A.]AfaBT, in short.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

According to Xfire, Swtor looked a little better through one month, and almost identical after 1 month, with the slight edge going to swtor.

Swtor here.

GW2 here.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

OP is absolutely correct. This isn't some opinion poll it's the truth. Anyone who's played both games will notice the difference in everything. The quality rests with GW2 and they didn't spend 300 mil on it.

Secondly, SWTOR is going F2P not because of the economy (because that IP can usually sustain anything) but because the game was poorly done as noted by the countless number of people leaving the title and the endless devs either being fired or moving on to do "other" types of projects because they can't be hired back into the gaming companies anymore, that's how bad this title is, that it ruined careers in the gaming industry. The facts are there folks.

And finally, Any game releasing in the coming years with the current economy should not be subscription if they have economists with heads screwed on properly. Any Economist worth his weight in diamonds will tell you that this economy cannot sustain a sub. Look at WoW. Dwindling numbers after all this time. Even their expansion sales are down. The evidence is there. So Anet was smart about it and they are successful because of this.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

A GW2 type game with SW:TOR quality story would indeed be amazing.

Take everything from GW2 but the story and the setting - take those from SW:TOR. Ilum will be the Eternal Battleground, but done properly, with siege engines and all the stuff.

Instant winner game.

FFS, just give me a Divinity's Reach like designed Corruscant, and I buy the game just to visit it.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    my toons personal stories in GW2 are sooooo much better then anything I experienced in SWTOR. SWTOR was one of those bad sitcoms that didn't really have a plot just some random stories thrown together imo.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    my toons personal stories in GW2 are sooooo much better then anything I experienced in SWTOR. SWTOR was one of those bad sitcoms that didn't really have a plot just some random stories thrown together imo.

The SW:TOR cutscenes were better though in my opinion. I agree I loved my Norn's story like just as much as I liked my Jedi Shadow's one, but SW:TOR shined in the quality of cutscenes.

The background moving paintings in GW2 cutscenes are for most amazing works of art though.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Lol, you have no idea.