Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Nexon & NCSoft Trying to Buy Valve?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to VentureBeat.com, Korean gaming giants, Nexon and NCSoft, have been participating in buy out talks with representatives of Valve. According to the report, the buy out would cost nearly $900 million.

Nexon spokesman Mike Crouch declined to comment. Valve’s spokesman hasn’t commented yet. If the talks are true, it shows the increasingly global nature of the video game business. China’s Tencent recently made an investment in U.S.-based Epic Games, the maker of the Unreal game engine and The Gears of War game series. Valve is another extremely influential game company, originally founded in 1996 by former Microsoft veterans Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington. They started out with a mega-hit, Half-Life, and have grown the company to more than 300 employees.

Reports throughout the day have indicated that both NCSoft & Nexon are denying buyout rumors. We'll keep you posted.

Read more at VentureBeat.com.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    In mean time Gabe stated that he will rather see Valve dissolved than sell it

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

I hope this doesn't happen.. I'm sure we'd never see a counter strike 2 if it did. 

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54

CS:GO is CS2 unfortunately....

As a side note, Valve being bought out by NCSoft or Nexon would be a deathblow to the online gaming market. Also, isn't the owner of Valve already a hundred+ millionare? What, is he shooting for billionare now?

If a buyout was confirmed I'll be stripping my valve accounts & selling my accounts on ebay or some such nonsense. I have no interest in either the two horrible companies Nexon or NCSoft controlling Steam.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yeah lets hope not..

I cant see it happennig really with Valve looking into hardware and so on.. to me it looks like they want to expand instead of sell..

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162
    If Valve really are worried about Win8 then making a strong offer now is a smart move from Nexon & NCSoft.
  • DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Steam alone is worth more than 900M, EA payed about as much for BW and Pandemic, if any one buys Valve i doubt we'll see somthing for less than 2-3B US.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    All 3 companys already disproved this rumour.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    The thought of Nexon or NCsoft buying out Valve terrifies me. I'm really hoping that's not true because a company like Nexon only cares about money. You can see that through their horrible customer service and the fact that they let hackers run freely in their games (besides the "occasnial" 1 day ban... a little slap on the hands from dad, eh?).

Smile

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    If they would buy it they would buy a dead concept. I like Steam and i like Valve.  If some other douchebag company gets in between that i wouldnt touch it ever again.
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I hope this doesn't happen.. I'm sure we'd never see a counter strike 2 if it did. 

You know, this is incredibly funny to me. 

Considering Nexon is developing Counter Strike 2 for asian countries right now

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Valve turned down over double that amount from EA once.
  • BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    Why would Valve want  to sell. They are making tons of money of Steam.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    This would instantly stop me from buying anything further from Steam.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I hope not Nexon, and NCsoft are idiot companies in my eyes, and my reasons are simple.

1. Cash Shop, Cash Shop, all they do is take money from you they don't even give you your monies worth. For example in Lineage 2, or any NCSoft game I could spend $100 in the cash shop in less than a day or two and in 1 month its already gone gotta deposit more money.

2. Nexon for that matter with Vindictus a failure of a game what could be better but buying the cheap way around instance making it peer 2 peer for the most part, aka host lag.

They don't want to pay for the servers Think I am going to spend $50 to customize my character the way I want it?

Better yet how about I pay $30 a month to nexon and they give me unlimited customization options instead of charge me PER change.

Tera/Enmasse same exact thing the reason their game has failed along with TSW.

Now Imagine STEAM is it was bought by PWI, Nexon, or NCsoft, it would be cash shop everywhere. Instead they should sell out to a U.S company with some brains on market and keep its consumers happy.

• GhostKrookGhostKrook Member Posts: 31

I'd have to add valve to the list of gaming companies to avoid if they did this. Valve hasn't let me down yet with a new release being riddled with bugs, and having that fix it later, we need to sell copies now attitude. The list is really short if you buy from companies that do not do that. I wish more players would.

Hopefully it's all just rumors, and we can continue to enjoy great games, and great service from Valve.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    I really, really, really hope not.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Whether the rumour is true or not, whoever buys valve EA, Blizzard, NCSoft to name a few, they will impliment new ways of making money and user agreements will be changed. Valve will never be the Valve you love anymore.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The bigger question is not why Valve would sell, but why valve would sell for only $900 million.  They are the biggest player in PC gaming and are worth more then the Nexon & NCSoft partnership.  Their offer is missing a zero to be the least bit plausible.
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Valve would be fools to sell out, steam is making them all the cash they'd ever need and if they need more, they can just release new portal or rehashed version of counter strike and get billions overnight.
  • pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    I think it would be funny to see how many people jump ship overnight.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Valve isnt for sale, and, this is venturebeat again so its probably just BS and NCSoft etc arent even interested even if Valve was for sale. Next thing you know, they'll be announcing that EA is buying Arenanet from NCSoft, and that they'll be taking over responsibility for GW2 image
  • HaradeasHaradeas Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Same,  I dont want anything to do with these F2P junk groups...... they killed so many games.... WTS: Steam account if valve sells
  • nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Not sure if that or being bought by EA would be worse.

• savedrsavedr Member UncommonPosts: 14

But... Valve doesn't have any MMOs that NCSoft can close!

This Zingerbrought to you by savedr

• oreal52oreal52 Member UncommonPosts: 79

GOD save us from that !

NCsoft and Nexon... NOOOOOOO! please NOOOOOO! image