Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Dynamic Events Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Firefall blog has been updated with a new post by Red 5's Bryan Malloroy. In it, Malloroy discusses the notion of dynamic world events and bringing the PvE world of Firefall to life. From there, he goes on to discuss how dynamic events are created and what players can expect from the system.

When designing a dynamic event for Firefall, we need to first make sure that our idea matches our own definition of “dynamic”. First and foremost, the event must be fun and should test the players’ skill in a variety of interesting ways. Beyond that, we also try to keep dynamic events relatively simple – we want players to be able to understand what they need to do as soon as they see that an event has popped near them. One trick that we use to help with this is to design the event’s mechanics without the use of any UI whatsoever. Once we’ve done that, we’ll add whatever we feel is absolutely necessary in terms of visual cues for what the player needs to do, but not much else.

Read the full post on the Firefall blog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    It's time to let the cat out of the bag everyone, this game is not really a game, its just red 5 wakes up everday and writes an article about the dream they just had.
  • 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168

I must be dreaming too then.

When I play Firefall and see that the features they talked about in the past are implemented in the game.

I must be dreaming.

I have one invitation to the beta to give, if someone wants to dream about playing the game like me...

• Phnx187Phnx187 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Meeee please :)
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    I loged in yesterday to gather my founders ingame items-and must of been a slow night, couse it took abt 5min or more to log into a pvp match- now keep in mind i was still in Tier1, due to not login into the game since new launch -much - but now with my xp boost, ill give it a go to prepare myself for official launch and to check out these new events. i really like 'shanty town'!
    Originally posted by Phnx187
    Meeee please :)

Send me a private message with a valid email address and you will get my last invitation :)

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    Hate cell shaded graphics. If there's a way to turn it off, like in Champions Online, I may look into it.
    Originally posted by nate1980
    Hate cell shaded graphics. If there's a way to turn it off, like in Champions Online, I may look into it.

You can't turn off cel (with only one L) shading in any game like that.

What you mean is turning off the black outline maybe ?

You can do that in Firefall, like in Champions Online, yes.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

So far, things do look interesting. I like many of the dynamics, but those who get invites should keep in mind that this IS *beta*. 

NOT the demo beta (to hype up word of mouth). that many companies use.  A REAL beta test. That means it has rough edges all over the place, and its a test bed for various design concepts. Some of which may not make the final cut.

At this point R5 has stated that there will be no more XP wipes.  So any XP thats generated will carry over.  Beyond that and names, things are up for grabs. 

Anyone who gets involved should keep in mind that this is beta, and you aren't just there to play. 

Firefall has a lot of potential, and if R5 can get all of the pieces of this 3D puzzle worked out, and smoothed together, its bound to be an entertaining game. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."