Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't play World of Tanks.

After playing WOT for a year, i "UNINSTALLED"  it today for the 2nd time in the last month because its unrealistic. You will not be able to see "any" enemy tanks even if they are within visual range, right in front of you, at a few thousand yards or less, unless your crew is trained high enough to see them!

See all of those trees and buildings? Well there are tanks right next to them, but you can't see them, however they can see you, and thats why I quit. I just wish I could get my money back.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Games are not about reality, they are about making use of the game mechanics.  World of Tanks has a sophisticated detection system.  Although it would be lovely not to rely on the game engine to show detection and instead use your own eye-sight, its just not plausible for a game.  People will cheat and make the bushes invisible.

There are obvious problems with wargaming.net's implementation.  For instance if the server fails to properly tell you if you detect an enemy tank.  However, those cases are not too common. My suggestion is you learn to play the game rather then think you will learn to be a real tanker.

There are youtube videos that show how you can be an effective scout at detecting enemies in bushes.  You can use a camo net, binoculars, and coated optics with a light tank that has good visual range to see enemy tanks before they can see you.  Also when you do this you earn a portion of the exp your allies are making on vehicles you are detecting.

The primary things to remember are its a team game, and strategy always wins.  So don't rush out away from your team.  Also you should not camp to the detriment of your team.  Working with your team to win even if your team is full of a bunch of rushers is the key to winning and having fun.

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111

Yeah, I couldn't get past how arcadey everything was. The kicker for me was the point and click artillery with your all seeing eye. 

Though it doesn't try to hide what it is so you can't really fault them for that.

@Cleffy - Go check out WWIIOL (an MMOFSP). Armored combat in that game is all user input.. that is to say you must rely on your hearing, your eyesite and your sense of surrounding. So it is plausable to go a more  'realistic' approach.

Not to take away from your post, of course. Just referencing that bit about it not being plausable.

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(

I am pretty sure a client side hack for tank visibility would not work because detection is handled server side.  I know about WW2 Online, only problem I have with that game is its too open.  Red Orchestra does a good job simulating tanks aside from the AT Rifle.
  • ChrisxenonChrisxenon Member Posts: 6

Haha, oh my. The rage of someone who doesnt understand the games mechanics.

World of Tanks isnt meant to be realistic. If you cant be bothered to learn  the basics of spotting, camoflague and view distance  then yes, you'll be confused and frustrated.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I stopped reading after 'After playing WOT for a year, i "UNINSTALLED'

If it was worth playing for a whole year it must be a good game

Maybe.  If it was more realistic, you woud be engaging targets with a T29 from 10KM away.
  • Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    I played for about 9 months.  I really like the game and it's still on my computer.  I haven't played in a while mostly because I wanted to try some other games.  Eventually, I'll go back.
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Go try Mechwarrior Online when it's out. I have a feeling you'll like it.
  • Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372

It took me a week to work out everything that  OP worked out in a year, go figure....

also World of Tanks is a grind-fest and Play 2Win. Avoid.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    I am pretty sure a client side hack for tank visibility would not work because detection is handled server side.  I know about WW2 Online, only problem I have with that game is its too open.  Red Orchestra does a good job simulating tanks aside from the AT Rifle.

LOOOOVE that game!

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• bomenjohnbomenjohn Member Posts: 5
    Games are not made to be realistic; they are often made to give you some incredible kind of experience while playing them. For some real time fun, you need to first explore it and then enjoy playing it.

knitting needles

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    Ok. I will continue to not have played it. Problem solved.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by JackInMilwWI

After playing WOT for a year

That's an awful long time to play something before figuring out you don't like it. That's like saying 'after burning my finger on the stove 364 times in the last hour I've realised that some idiot forgot to turn it off today'