Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In my opinion, GW2 is what SWTOR shouldve been..........

PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

I think GW2 is a fun game,  I cant play mmos as much as I use too due to my job and social so probably wont even do any raiding or endgame stuff like I did in Wow.   Even so, GW2 is pretty nice, the graphics/art/style are good, gameplay is smooth, sound/voice work are well done.      I did play SWTOR but I quit well before the 1st month came up due to the games so many problems and lack of even basic mmo features.   There is a reason SWTOR is going to F2P in less than 10 months with a $150-300 million budget but that is another topic. 

Graphics (Wildlife, swimming, moving NPCS, etc)------------GW2 > SWTOR

Sound (Voice acting, background noise, music)---------------GW2 > SWTOR

Basic (or more) MMO features at launch-------------------------GW2 > SWTOR

Better Race (species) selection and Character Customization----------GW2 > SWTOR

Non-crap AH with easy UI---------------------------------------------GW2 > SWTOR

Loading screens that dont take forever----------------------------GW2 > SWTOR

Better Guild and Social options and features--------------------GW2 > SWTOR

Better CS support--------------------------------------------------------GW2 >  SWTOR

As you can see, GW2 pretty much owns SWTOR in every way, except the SW lP.    The only way SW can make a comeback is maybe a diffferent company makes a new, more sandbox-ey SW MMO and doesnt let EA ruin it.  Or SoE can do a SWG reboot.    Even SWG is better than SWTOR.   And this is coming from someone who was a big SWTOR fanboy a year ago.   My 2 cents.  

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    A quality sandbox with lightsabres and a Star Wars-y feel to it, sounds good to me.
  • AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

Graphics (Wildlife, swimming, moving NPCS, etc)------------GW2 < SWTOR

Sound (Voice acting, background noise, music)---------------GW2 < SWTOR

Basic (or more) MMO features at launch-------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Better Race (species) selection and Character Customization----------GW2 < SWTOR

Non-crap AH with easy UI---------------------------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Loading screens that dont take forever----------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Better Guild and Social options and features--------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Better CS support--------------------------------------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

You do know that saying "GW2 < SWTOR" is equivalent to saying "SWTOR is greater than GW2"...

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

you got the sign "<" the other way around :P

should be:

Graphics (Wildlife, swimming, moving NPCS, etc)------------GW2 > SWTOR

just sayin´

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by DMKano

Better Race (species) selection and Character Customization----------GW2 < SWTOR

Non-crap AH with easy UI---------------------------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Better CS support--------------------------------------------------------GW2 < SWTOR

Umm so SWTOR > GW2 in every way?

With that statement I would agree LOL. besides lots of features were added in SWTOR that were not in 1st month. So maybe you should give a try:) and...

I absolutely love my characters :) nothing can beat them imho :) and a secret :) my chiss lady has red metalic eyes, red metalic lips and red metalic n*** guess what :) nothing can beat that EVER

Click on pics to enlarge /grin

imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I agree with many of your points but I wouldn't count SWTOR out quite yet.  Hopefully after they see GW2 doing well they'll start to borrow ideas from them instead of that panda game.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by AvsRock21

You do know that saying "GW2 < SWTOR" is equivalent to saying "SWTOR is greater than GW2"...

I think that he is saying that gw2 is less than SWTOR in every category  :)

Did you read the other parts of his post?

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

I think GW2 is a fun game,  I cant play mmos as much as I use too due to my job and social so probably wont even do any raiding or endgame stuff like I did in Wow.   Even so, GW2 is pretty nice, the graphics/art/style are good, gameplay is smooth, sound/voice work are well done.      I did play SWTOR but I quit well before the 1st month came up due to the games so many problems and lack of even basic mmo features.   There is a reason SWTOR is going to F2P in less than 10 months with a $150-300 million budget but that is another topic. 

As you can see, GW2 pretty much owns SWTOR in every way, except the SW lP.    The only way SW can make a comeback is maybe a diffferent company makes a new, more sandbox-ey SW MMO and doesnt let EA ruin it.  Or SoE can do a SWG reboot.    Even SWG is better than SWTOR.   And this is coming from someone who was a big SWTOR fanboy a year ago.   My 2 cents.  

Is only ur point of view. I get bored of gw2 after a week, im still playing swtor. So no thanks.

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

I think that he is saying that gw2 is less than SWTOR in every category  :)

Did you read the other parts of his post?

Yes, but what caught my eye was all the areas where gw2 < SWTOR, which is in complete contradiction with the rest of his post. Funny mistake.

OP obviously doesn't mean greater/lesser than with his arrows, he uses them to point to the game he thinks is better.

Deep inside you all know this, but since the only way you can make yourselves feel like you are more than the pathetic pile of a man that you actually are is by trying to make someone look like a fool, you ignore that and make yourselves look like complete tools instead.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Boldyn

OP obviously doesn't mean greater/lesser than with his arrows, he uses them to point to the game he thinks is better.

Deep inside you all know this, but since the only way you can make yourselves feel like you are more than the pathetic pile of a man that you actually are is by trying to make someone look like a fool, you ignore that and make yourselves look like complete tools instead.

Sorry no, those little symbols have a specific meaning.  and it isn't that they're mini arrows.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

Actually, gw2 is everything swtor is, its just already free to play. They're both single player experiences presneted as mmorpgs and they both have simplistic uninteresting content. One uses a traditional trinity, one did away with the trinity for a singularity, but neither game is that good. One uses mmorpg combat at least, the other uses annoying whack a mole actiony combat.

Both games are bad, swtor may actually be the better of the two though; next please.

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

Yea, I screwed up on my initial post, pretty tired tonight but what I meant earlier was:

GW2 > SWTOR

lol

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Sorry no, those little symbols have a specific meaning.  and it isn't that they're mini arrows.

LOL, it's bad when you have to explain that.  Although you can make a lil mini-arrow from them --> or

<--------kk

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Oh I am sorry, do you own the rights to them? What if I did like this :> I can't call that a smiley with an evil grin, it only means that : is greater than whatever I put after it?

Muppet...

• Originally posted by Paddyspub

I think the graphical style of SWTOR is better, but you are right about the mobs. Mobs in GW2 tend to move around more, whereas it could seem lifeless in SWTOR where so many were stationary. I'd say it's an even one here.

Sound is an easy win for SWTOR. Sound effects are much more snazzy, and the voice acting also better.

Basic MMO features seems a win for SWTOR as well. It didn't suffer the same early issues GW2 did in this respect. Another win for SWTOR.

Race selection - A matter of taste whether you like the races or not, but I agree GW2 has a wider selection. So I agree GW2 wins here.

Non-crap AH with easy UI. Didn't get a chance at the AH in GW2 so I'll take your word for it. The AH worked fine in SWTOR but the filtering was poorly done.

Loading screens that take forever - Yeah that was a big issue with SWTOR. Win for GW2.

CS Support reputedly was better for SWTOR, but I never needed it in either game, so I have no first-hand experience there.

I think you forget one important area which is the combat. Combat feels and plays considerably better in SWTOR, despite the occasional cast time/animation bug. Most of the time SWTOR feels very fluid and responsive, whereas GW2 always feels sluggish and awkward. Same for the camera controls which are much better in SWTOR.

Questing is also better in SWTOR imo because you get an interacive experience through dialogues, rather than having to sit thorugh something that hardly even qualifies for a cutscene.

I think SWTOR fails at feeling like an MMO world. That and the loading screens killed it for me. GW2 feels more open and more like an MMO in this way. I still think SWTOR is the better game overall than GW2 because it's actually fun to play for a good while. I feel GW2 is too obsessed about trying to do the same things in a different way and forgot that games are also about having fun.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Graphics (Wildlife, swimming, moving NPCS, etc)------------GW2 < SWTOR

I disagree with the Voice Acting.  Swtor hired professionals to do them, and most of them have worked in Anime, Audiobooks, and Movies.

About the same with Basic Features.

Disagree with better CS support, but i never really need customer service.

About the same with Guild and Social options.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

The games are just different. Its cool in my opinion that we have two games with two different focuses which are both good.

However, I do think that GW2 excels in more areas than SWTOR, maybe because it feels a little more fresh and less linear. In GW2, I really do feel like Im exploring. I tend to focus less on the levels themselves and more about just having fun. In SWTOR, the planets are huge but your progression on them feels completely linear.

The combat feels more alive in GW2 in that you can't just stand still and expect to be good, while in SWTOR you can. Things can miss more in GW2 making it feel more realistic plus the dodge.

The graphics or artistry in both feel good, but I have to give the nod to GW2, it just feels like some of the vistas and cities are breathtaking.

The sound, I think both games are great. No issues with either one.

Story, GW2 is cheesy and feels like an iphone app at times, SWTOR feels much more detailed, grown up, and interesting.

Voiceacting and facial movements, no contest, SWTOR.

Things to do, have to give the nod to GW2, feels like more variety here. Such a shame with this one as it would be so easy for SWTOR to at least implement the mini games in KOTOR1 and 2.

Fun factor, this is so subjective, but I find myself wanting to log in more with GW2 like the days I was addicted when I first started WOW. I felt that way for a little bit with SWTOR, but once I got my light saber, it slowly started to decrease. Not so yet with GW2.

Love in GW2 that you can level down to help others and there is no god like feeling that I don't need when I go to a lower level.

Maps, much better in GW2.

Crafting and the way you could send off companions, liked SWTOR better.

Social, the fact that I can join with others at will is awesome as long as the population stays healthy. In SWTOR, the more I leveled the more solo it felt.

The world feeling alive, day night cycles, swimming, moving NPCs, sounds giving the illusion of busy cities, effects in the air, etc, GW2 has more soul.

There Is Always Hope!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by sapphen

I agree with many of your points but I wouldn't count SWTOR out quite yet.  Hopefully after they see GW2 doing well they'll start to borrow ideas from them instead of that panda game.

MMOs is a living thing so anything can happen. Hopefully will they focus the game less on cutscenes and more on playing together with other players and that could of course turn things around. 

OP: I think VOs is better in TOR and in many ways so is the story. But I also think that they are using those way too much.

Just taking away the cutscenes for every single ¤%& sidequest, adding a bit more life to the open world mobs and implementing more team work would do wonders for the game.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Star Wars should NEVER be about running around on a planet killing animals and random tribes of natives.

Thats just not STar Wars.

Star Wars only works as a sandbox with a combat system like Battlefront for ground fighting and X-Wing / TIE Fighter for Space Combat. And a direct focus on the Galactic Civil War.  The Galactic Empire vs the Rebel Alliance.  No Jedi. No Sith.

The formula is simple.  Yet, nobody is willing to do it.

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Loke666

MMOs is a living thing so anything can happen. Hopefully will they focus the game less on cutscenes and more on playing together with other players and that could of course turn things around. 

OP: I think VOs is better in TOR and in many ways so is the story. But I also think that they are using those way too much.

Just taking away the cutscenes for every single ¤%& sidequest, adding a bit more life to the open world mobs and implementing more team work would do wonders for the game.

They should implement more War into star WARS

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104
    Made the proper change to my initial post in regards to the arrows (GW2 > SWTOR).

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Loke666

This is wishful thinking and unfortunately does not reflect reality.

Even when fully staffed, Bioware could not implement timely updates to game engine and mechanics such as LFG, chat bubbles, engine optimization, loading screens, Auction house update etc. etc.

I agree with OP, to me, GW2 is what SWTOR should have been. SWTOR started with announcements of massive battles, hinting at no trinity, persistant worlds ie. many things that are not in SWTOR, but actually are in GW2.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Oh I am sorry, do you own the rights to them? What if I did like this :> I can't call that a smiley with an evil grin, it only means that : is greater than whatever I put after it?

Muppet...

Maths is obviously not a subject you did well at.. or you'd realise how daft that statement really was.. calling someone else names out of ignorance is..  highly amusing tbh..  muppet indeed..image

the OP's statements do however seem more than a little.. optimistic, GW2 and SW;TOR do however have something in common, crashing and burning after launch.. although GW2 seems to be trying to win that particular race.. and might even succeed beyond their own expectations image

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Phry

the OP's statements do however seem more than a little.. optimistic, GW2 and SW;TOR do however have something in common, crashing and burning after launch.. although GW2 seems to be trying to win that particular race.. and might even succeed beyond their own expectations image

GW2 hasn't even crashed or burned; it's barely the first month.

Seriously, it annoys me whenever people claim something should die just because it doesn't fit their tastes.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I think SWTOR wasn't as bad as some people say it was . One of the biggest problems for me playing it was it felt more like a single player rpg with some co-op elements . Which is fine but not something I look for in an mmo . Its certainly not something I wanted to subscribe to . It should have been buy to play like Guild Wars 2 . It would have been far better recieved generally speaking has it been as such .

I think most mmo developers and publishers should take a long hard look at the games they produce and be honest with themseleves ( and us ) as to whether they warrent a subscription fee . At the moment they seem to be of the lets create enough hype to sell as many units as possible , continue with a subscription for a maybe a year or two and then when they start to drop convert it to free to play .

The problem with that is freemium games dominate the market now ( WoW aside ) and even such a conversion is no longer a guaranteed success .

So far better to start as you mean to go on and offer the games as buy to play . Both the WarZ and Planet Side 2 seem to be doing this and I think both will do well because  of it I think .

I think upcoming games such a The Elder Scrolls Online will fail hard under a subscription model but will be glowing successes as a  B2P game . Sadly it will make the same mistake as ToR and fail because of it . Leaveing Bethezdas reputation slightly tarnished( as Biowares is now )