Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is my pacing?

Jason1989Jason1989 Member Posts: 28

I am just below 80 hours played my main char. He is level 61. Is this normal?

Whats average played time to get to 80?

I feel like I am way behind a lot of people in my guild. At 80 hours I thought I'd be at cap right now. Not complaining about the pacing of the game per say. I am still enjoying the leveling process and havn't got bored yet. Just wanting to know if im slow or not.

Comments

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    You are not slow. In this game you should play exactly at the pace you feel suits you the best. At the end of the levelling curve you really only have Orr and its broken event chains and the various token grinds left in the pve department. I have been lvl 80 on 2 different professions for some time now, and I wish I had levelled with my mind on map completion and puzzles at the time I was actually in those zones for my general levelling. - So imo you are not missing out on anything. Take your time and enjoy the process.
  • PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Don't know what's normal and what's not, but to me this is the 1st MMO I haven't grinded to cap but rather played when felt like playing.

I have one char and he's about the same you have now and I've been exploring the world (63% done) and found that very entertaining.

I might be very wrong here, but to me this game is lovely because all areas are playable at any level. What I mean is that lowering the effective level according to the area is a great thing and should become an industry standard in every MMO.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I'm at more than 100 hours and I'm only just level 30 :P

But then I have spent alot of time chatting to guildies and exploring.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469
    I just recently hit 80 and I've spent about 103hours on that character in total. What I've done is explore maps and done some crafting and done events as they are quite fun! I'm sure you can get to 80 insanely fast but I prefer playing the game slowly instead of rushing to 80 (now that I'm 80 I can also explore any area I want with no restrictions which is one positive side to it)

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Around 50 hours in and just hit 40. Just one character. I explore every square inch of maps. Do all the map achivements. Try to complete the daily every time I log in.

Having a blast. Could not care less how slow or fast I'm leveling. You should not care either if your having fun.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    The average play time to 80 is probably 100-120 hours. So, you're not slow, but maybe your guildies play more or are really fast.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I played almost 180 hours and are just lvl 70. Relax and enjoy the ride, that your guildies are higher than you is no biggie. Still several dungeons you can do together and they surely have a zone or 2 not 100% they can play with you.

The downscaling makes things like this a lot easier.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    People here like to tell you to enjoy the ride but what they're really saying is delay endgame as long as you can. Orr(lv 80 area) was poorly done and easily the worst part of the game. Unfortunatly GW 2 is yet another game in the pile of "over when you hit max level" games out there.
  • TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Nilenya
    You are not slow. In this game you should play exactly at the pace you feel suits you the best. At the end of the levelling curve you really only have Orr and its broken event chains and the various token grinds left in the pve department. I have been lvl 80 on 2 different professions for some time now, and I wish I had levelled with my mind on map completion and puzzles at the time I was actually in those zones for my general levelling. - So imo you are not missing out on anything. Take your time and enjoy the process.

I'm level 80 as well and have just gotten to Orr. Spent all day looking for these broken events everyone keeps talking about and can't seem to find any. Either Arenanet has patched them up, or some people are full of crap =P. No insults intended, but everyone makes it sound as if nothing in Orr is playable, but I've explored and done several events, downed several bosses (Dwayna, Balthazar, Risen Giant...guy...thing, and many others. But I have yet to see one broken. I think people just went there, saw one or two events that were broken and cardedt he whole area. I know kessex hills has atleast 1 event that I've seen that is broken(The drunken skritt one). And that's the only broken event that i have personally seen in the game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Jason1989

I am just below 80 hours played my main char. He is level 61. Is this normal?

Whats average played time to get to 80?

I feel like I am way behind a lot of people in my guild. At 80 hours I thought I'd be at cap right now. Not complaining about the pacing of the game per say. I am still enjoying the leveling process and havn't got bored yet. Just wanting to know if im slow or not.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Rushing to 80 isn't the point of the game, and indeed a lot of people who have treated the game as such get burnt out. If you want to hit 80 quickly, though, you can do it through crafting fairly easily (provided you've been gathering the nodes you see).

I've got an 80 necro, and while I find him a lot of fun still, I am really enjoying going back through the game on my alts with all the map completion icons turned off on the map. Makes it much easier to focus on the actual game world, instead of trying to fill up arbitrary icons.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Originally posted by Nilenya

I'm level 80 as well and have just gotten to Orr. Spent all day looking for these broken events everyone keeps talking about and can't seem to find any. Either Arenanet has patched them up, or some people are full of crap =P. No insults intended, but everyone makes it sound as if nothing in Orr is playable, but I've explored and done several events, downed several bosses (Dwayna, Balthazar, Risen Giant...guy...thing, and many others. But I have yet to see one broken. I think people just went there, saw one or two events that were broken and cardedt he whole area. I know kessex hills has atleast 1 event that I've seen that is broken(The drunken skritt one). And that's the only broken event that i have personally seen in the game.

can't speak for Orr since haven't reached that but I had 2 instances last night people thought an event was bugged and a skill point was bugged.. The DE was the gargantua(giant spider) in Harathi. The spider does a full rez 3 or 4 times and summons a bunch of tiny spiders.. after the 3rd rez I saw several people /say damn bugged event and left. i for a min thought it may be bugged but we pressed on and the spider fell and the event completed. For skill point I had one in Lornar's Pass people thought was bugged there's one in a cave but if you look at the map it seems to be inside a mountain. The mountain has two levels but neither has the skill point. I saw several people say they thought it was a bugged SP... I eventually found the SP entrance is down south towards the priory and you walk up to enter another cave where the SP is.

Now obviously there are bugged events I had one in Lornar's Pass that says to protect this girl but she just stands there and nothing came after her. Waitied like 10 min she didn't move either. But for the most part haven't really see to many bugs overall.

And for the OP your pacing i'd say is normal i have over 170 or so hours and not close to 80 but I do play lots of alts and some sPVP now and then

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

111 hours on my main, he's level 60 with 33% map completion.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    People here like to tell you to enjoy the ride but what they're really saying is delay endgame as long as you can. Orr(lv 80 area) was poorly done and easily the worst part of the game. Unfortunatly GW 2 is yet another game in the pile of "over when you hit max level" games out there.

No, we are just saying that there is no need to hurry, big difference.

The top zones launching in vanilla Wow november 2004 were not so amazing either you know.

But I have to be the first one that admit that I am looking forward to more zones with the first expansion.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

No, we are just saying that there is no need to hurry, big difference.

The top zones launching in vanilla Wow november 2004 were not so amazing either you know.

But I have to be the first one that admit that I am looking forward to more zones with the first expansion.

If they follow the GW1 concept they wont raise the leveling cap resulting in allot of high level zones (would be awesome !)

anyway:

I'm at 7*'ish hours played and only level 48 :D, looking forward to making level 50 tonight

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

@OP I am perturbed why you would even post a topic like this. If you are enjoying the game, then who cares what your leveling pace is. GW2 is actually a game worth slowing down to enjoy the content. Can't believe I'm saying that considering the trend MMOs have taken over the past 5 years, but it's true.

Have some fun.  :)

As for people saying the game ends at 80, I don't get it. I have 3 characters at 80, just maxed out all crafting professions, and JUST started messing around in WvWvW (when i can get in with the long queue).

I have yet to really get into WvWvW politics & battles

I have yet to do every dungeon (every path)

I have yet to complete the game 100% (currently my mesmer is at 80% world complete)

I have 2 80's and haven't even seen the Charr starting areas yet.

I have yet to kill all the world dragons

I have yet to get a legendary weapon, etc etc

Maybe for some people the game ended at 80, but for me the game just continued as normal, because I never bothered to worry about what level I was.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I hit ~200 hours before dinging 80 but then again I switched alts occasionally to mix it up a bit but once you hit level 70 it's a matter of a couple hours to get to 80 and my map % was 58%. A couple guildmates of mine hit 80 in roughly 60-70 hours which is pretty fast.

So just go as you please, if you want to explore the world then do so, if you want to WvW from level 2 to 80, then do so, if you want to rush to 80 and sit at the TP twiddling your thumbs wondering what gear to buy next, then do so.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Really depends on playstyle and things you like, I'm not just doing doing PVE but also SPVP and WvW and like exploration a lot so I'm very slow.

I'm level 77 (ele) and lvl 32 (engi) and have played since headstart, the first 2 weeks I've played 14-16 hrs. per day because I took holiday for launch :) So you're faster than me.

Someone I met in game was the same level as me when I had just reached 60, took him 3 days and me 3 weeks :D

• SchwaSchwa Member Posts: 29

You ask:  How is my pacing?

I ask:  Are you having fun?

I could care less when I reach 80 (although I am almost there)  What I do care about is the fact that I have been having a blast the whole way there.  And plan on continuing to do so once I reach it.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

I reached 80 purely by a happy accident. I think after I realized I was level 65 and hadn't seen as much as I had wanted to before 80 I kind of just said F**k it and kept pushing onward. The bridge between 65 and 80 was so short that I was shocked. I literally logged out for two days because I didn't know what to do with myself and I was upset that I had gotten there so fast. Then I logged back in and was back to my usual. I've logged more hours in this game in a few weeks than I've logged in Skyrim since it's release and I have over 100 hours.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Get to level 80 and then go " Dang I should go running around a map " .. Lol... Wooooah Silver!!