Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus for MoP... or not?

Comments

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Me and my whole guild left for MoP. And I must say I love the endgame on my monk. I feel lika a kid again. Gw2 wad a nice diversion, but WoW is still where it's at as far as I'm concerned.
  • UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Originally posted by Volkon

Actually one of the reasons I hate GW2 is it is, outside of a couple of hidden jump puzzles, 100% hand holding. GW2 guided me every step of the way and told me exactly what to do and where to go. It marked the map with the stuff I needed to go to. It walked me step by step on getting to my next story quest every time.

Sounds like someone spent his time following hearts rather than actually exploring. The hearts were added later in development when testing showed that most testers would simply wander about aimlessly and not actually join in dynamic events ("I didn't have a quest for that"). So hearts were added to the game/map to give those that need it somewhere to go and begin the acclimation process to dynamic events. The idea is to go to a heart, do the tasks and get drawn away by events.

Events will show up on the map if they're in your immediate area. Jumping puzzles, hidden chests and areas... these don't show up and require exploration. Every zone has at least one jumping puzzle and various hidden chests waiting for the worthy explorer.

GW2 wasn't holding your hand and guiding your every step... you refused to let go of the hand.

I know you love this game and can't accept the reality of the situation so all you ever do is attack others, which was my point to your first post and will be my point to this one.

I explored, I did secret jumping puzzles, I talked to NPCs to kick off the "dynamic" events. The game is a MASSIVE handholding game and to deny that is utter ridiculousness that can't even be measured. The funny thing is, you are the one that made handholding the bad thing. Then when it was pointed out how much handholding GW2 does, you had to struggle to defend that position.

Try playing games that actually don't hold your hand. I played Asheron's Call at release and still play it today. You know what they showed you? Nothing. They didn't highlight quest givers, they didn't show you where to go on the map, they didn't tell you where or even how to complete a quest. You didn't even know for sure if an NPC was telling you about a quest or was just telling you lore as there was no "Hey you just got assigned a quest" feature. You TRULY had to explore the world to find out. That is a game that does not hold hands. They've since added a bit more direction but it is a tiny fraction compared to most modern theme parks and especially GW2.

All you do in every thread is come up with some insult to people who don't like GW2 and throw out random non-facts like those who left GW2 must need a game that holds your hand when GW2 is one of the most hand holding games ever released.

They DID add in a command to give you the location of your corpse. See, I played it OLD SCHOOL, before Turbine had to put in such commands to hold your hand.

Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

[mod edit]

just got my 6th character slot of an extra bag slot just by trading gold for gems no real money needed:)

How much gold does that cost? I might be interested in doing that too.

I saw someone range it at between 2-4g, depending on the market.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by cahenderson

They DID add in a command to give you the location of your corpse. See, I played it OLD SCHOOL, before Turbine had to put in such commands to hold your hand.

Dude, no way, you're a total liar.   Stop spreading lies around.

I joke, I joke.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Talk about it on this forum all you want but the Results for MoP were HUGE without a doubt.  My realm went from borderline low pop to borderline high, ive never felt such a mass presence in this game since classic. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob
    Originally posted by Zezda

I know how fond everyone is of the xfire stats on this site :-p

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

Launch day for MoP and it's still behind. Not looking too good I would say.

That's pretty remarkable.

Sure WoW is only barely behind, but the fact that it's behind at all says a lot for how popular GW2 is.

We all know xfire doesnt mean much....but clicking on that link right now shows wow more than double GW2....stop quoting pre expansion lol

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Talk about it on this forum all you want but the Results for MoP were HUGE without a doubt.  My realm went from borderline low pop to borderline high, ive never felt such a mass presence in this game since classic. 

It's a good game. 

Here is a comparison on abilities my WoW Warlock and my GW2 necro

http://www.wowhead.com/class=9#abilities

Warlock  = 142 abilities across 3 specializations Affliction, Demonolgy, Destruction

Necro = 67 abilities 25 main abilities, 14 water abilites,  20 utilities, 8 down state (4/water, 4 land) 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_necromancer_skills

Take away the necro's the 18 water abilities, since 95% of the time you wont be able to use them The necro is left with about 50 abilities. OOOF which only 15 at a time can be used. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by bcbully

Warlock  = 142 abilities across 3 specializations Affliction, Demonolgy, Destruction

Necro = 67 abilities 25 main abilities, 14 water abilites,  20 utilities, 8 down state (4/water, 4 land) 

Take away the necro's the 18 water abilities, since 95% of the time you wont be able to use them The necro is left with about 50 abilities. OOOF which only 15 at a time can be used. 

Well it's not like one would ever use all 142 abilities that a Warlock has in WoW, since there is an optimal build and all. From my past experience in WoW, i've only ever needed to use about 5 - 10 abilities max, maybe about 5 more depending on whether it's PVP or PVE.

Also, what does this response have to do with the increase in the population of WoW servers?

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49
    What amazes me about Xfire stats is people's inability to see beyond the slopes of lines or pieces of pie.  Even with GW2 drop in hours played, they are still sitting higher on hours played than WoW was pre-MoP; with nearly the same sample population (i.e. Xfire users) and are not subtantially off WoW's post-launch numbers (two days in).
  • EscafandroEscafandro Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

It's a good game. 

Well, you're comparing a game with a game + 4 expansions.

And you might want do the math again, since you're counting on specializations you might throw traits in there too.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by Volkon

Actually one of the reasons I hate GW2 is it is, outside of a couple of hidden jump puzzles, 100% hand holding. GW2 guided me every step of the way and told me exactly what to do and where to go. It marked the map with the stuff I needed to go to. It walked me step by step on getting to my next story quest every time.

Sounds like someone spent his time following hearts rather than actually exploring. The hearts were added later in development when testing showed that most testers would simply wander about aimlessly and not actually join in dynamic events ("I didn't have a quest for that"). So hearts were added to the game/map to give those that need it somewhere to go and begin the acclimation process to dynamic events. The idea is to go to a heart, do the tasks and get drawn away by events.

Events will show up on the map if they're in your immediate area. Jumping puzzles, hidden chests and areas... these don't show up and require exploration. Every zone has at least one jumping puzzle and various hidden chests waiting for the worthy explorer.

GW2 wasn't holding your hand and guiding your every step... you refused to let go of the hand.

I know you love this game and can't accept the reality of the situation so all you ever do is attack others, which was my point to your first post and will be my point to this one.

I explored, I did secret jumping puzzles, I talked to NPCs to kick off the "dynamic" events. The game is a MASSIVE handholding game and to deny that is utter ridiculousness that can't even be measured. The funny thing is, you are the one that made handholding the bad thing. Then when it was pointed out how much handholding GW2 does, you had to struggle to defend that position.

Try playing games that actually don't hold your hand. I played Asheron's Call at release and still play it today. You know what they showed you? Nothing. They didn't highlight quest givers, they didn't show you where to go on the map, they didn't tell you where or even how to complete a quest. You didn't even know for sure if an NPC was telling you about a quest or was just telling you lore as there was no "Hey you just got assigned a quest" feature. You TRULY had to explore the world to find out. That is a game that does not hold hands. They've since added a bit more direction but it is a tiny fraction compared to most modern theme parks and especially GW2.

All you do in every thread is come up with some insult to people who don't like GW2 and throw out random non-facts like those who left GW2 must need a game that holds your hand when GW2 is one of the most hand holding games ever released.

Define handholding.

That tends to be a subjective.  Some people are most comfortable with the old form of quest. Something vague like "Something in the world needs doing, go do it" ^^  Others are not at all amused, or entertained by such.  The rise of clue sites on the internet, has demonstrated that reality. 

The phrase "hand holding" tends to be used by the "challenge" brigade, to look down on anyone who doesn't agree with their lofty definitions.  Its an all too human trait, to insist on pulling others down, to build oneself up. 

At least part of the hatred directed at WoW is due to some peoples need to do that, and their rose colored memories of games gone past.  I started these games with UO, so I've seen their evolution as they have gone main stream. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Carnafex
    What amazes me about Xfire stats is people's inability to see beyond the slopes of lines or pieces of pie.  Even with GW2 drop in hours played, they are still sitting higher on hours played than WoW was pre-MoP; with nearly the same sample population (i.e. Xfire users) and are not subtantially off WoW's post-launch numbers (two days in).

This is true but it's way too early. Don't forget: It's a marathon, not a 100 m sprint. Give it 2-3 weeks before we can analyze the results.

What amaizes me is the people that dont discount the folks bragging about GW2 being higher right before MoP launched...but then attack someone who points out that its not the case anymore....;)

But just to delve into your point for a moment, GW2 is the only high profile MMO to launch during a big down time in WoW. SWTOR sold as many copied as GW2, but launched at the same time as Dragon Soul. GW2 launched when there hadn't been new content released in wow for 10 months.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

Well it's not like one would ever use all 142 abilities that a Warlock has in WoW, since there is an optimal build and all. From my past experience in WoW, i've only ever needed to use about 5 - 10 abilities max, maybe about 5 more depending on whether it's PVP or PVE.

Also, what does this response have to do with the increase in the population of WoW servers?

He takes any opportunity to point out GW2's shortcomings. It's a welcome attitude, but most of the time he comes off as simply trying too hard. This skillset comparison is an example: making a "by-the-numbers" comparison of a vanilla and a 4-expansion game. He also didn't count traits from GW2.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by doodphace

What amaizes me is the people that dont discount the folks bragging about GW2 being higher right before MoP launched...but then attack someone who points out that its not the case anymore....;)

But just to delve into your point for a moment, GW2 is the only high profile MMO to launch during a big down time in WoW. SWTOR sold as many copied as GW2, but launched at the same time as Dragon Soul. GW2 launched when there hadn't been new content released in wow for 10 months.

Didn't RIFT do something similar? Release during Cata when the game took an arrow to the kneecap of their playerbase?

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

7 full 15 high 2 med....

What's interesting is that its past midnight :)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Zezda

I know how fond everyone is of the xfire stats on this site :-p

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

Launch day for MoP and it's still behind. Not looking too good I would say.

those figures would be reliable if everyone used xfire.....which they don't.

I'm gonna release a client named Y-fire....2000 out of what 6-7b? on this ball might use it......1 plays WOW...rest plays SWTOR.....does that make SWTOR the best MMO in the world?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Didn't RIFT do something similar? Release during Cata when the game took an arrow to the kneecap of their playerbase?

We are talking purely useless xfire numbers here. Fanboys decided to point out that GW2 had higher numbers than WoW before MoP launched, then jumped on me when i pointed out that WoW was now more than double GW2 on xfire. That in turn was met with the statement of GW2 completing some impossible feat of overtaking wow before MoP launched. I then had to point out that had SWTOR launched the exact same time instead of GW2, it prob would have as well.  Rift did not overtake WoW in xfire because Rift launched during the heart of WoW tier11, even though it sold similer number of coppies as GW2.

GW2 Launced during one of the biggest content down times in WoW's history (second only to ICC's 1year+ run, in which no high profile MMO launched), when many players wernt even logging in anymore (not necessarly cancelled their subs).

We literally went from GW2 fanboys thumipng their chests about xFire, to now creating Xfire doesnt matter threads left and right now that WoW has again dwarfed all other MMOs in tracked hours played.

All I am pointing out is how amusing it is :-)

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Why does it matter so much. If they like GW2 then they will come back after playing BL2, MoP etc. If they don't like it - no loss.
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    Why does it matter so much. If they like GW2 then they will come back after playing BL2, MoP etc. If they don't like it - no loss.

This ^

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I seriously don't think they are aiming for the same demographic. GW2 is for people who never cared for or are simply tired of WoW style game design. It is obvious that Arenanet is not trying to out WoW Blizzard when they declined to make yet another gear oriented raid centric end game.

People that enjoy that style game would not like GW2 and people who are tired of it  will love GW2. It ain't rocket science folks. Now people that do like thta style game will have plenty to choose from, LoTRO, SWToR, WoW, EQII etc and those of us who are tired of it and are ready for something different have a option also. I plan to never do a raid again, GW2's dungeons are a perfect fit for me as well as it's PvE and Pv. Maybe in a year or two there may be some other choices along the line of GW2's design but for now I would rather chew razor blades than go back to a quest hub gear grind raid end game style MMO. I have been playing those for ten years now and SWToR was my last.

Oh and for the record at 1:15 PM on a Friday afternoon, N America 5 servers at full, 17 at high. 2 at medium. Not much of a exodus if you ask me

I miss DAoC

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

We are talking purely useless xfire numbers here. Fanboys decided to point out that GW2 had higher numbers than WoW before MoP launched, then jumped on me when i pointed out that WoW was now more than double GW2 on xfire. That in turn was met with the statement of GW2 completing some impossible feat of overtaking wow before MoP launched. I then had to point out that had SWTOR launched the exact same time instead of GW2, it prob would have as well.  Rift did not overtake WoW in xfire because Rift launched during the heart of WoW tier11, even though it sold similer number of coppies as GW2.

GW2 Launced during one of the biggest content down times in WoW's history (second only to ICC's 1year+ run, in which no high profile MMO launched), when many players wernt even logging in anymore (not necessarly cancelled their subs).

We literally went from GW2 fanboys thumipng their chests about xFire, to now creating Xfire doesnt matter threads left and right now that WoW has again dwarfed all other MMOs in tracked hours played.

Based on the latest X-Fire figures we have, WoW has close to (but not more than) double the number of hours but less than 1,000 more players.

X-Fire numbers are pretty silly to look at, but will you come back and comment in a month if WoW's number of hours plummet again (as seems likely, since people simply don't play 10+ hours/day after the first few days)?

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Stx11

Based on the latest X-Fire figures we have, WoW has close to (but not more than) double the number of hours but less than 1,000 more players.

X-Fire numbers are pretty silly to look at, but will you come back and comment in a month if WoW's number of hours plummet again (as seems likely, since people simply don't play 10+ hours/day after the first few days)?

WoW's numbers will surely drop. The question is, will gw2 bounce back? I don't think it will unless they release a miracle patch, since it was in a steady decline even before MoP.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by krakra70

WoW's numbers will surely drop. The question is, will gw2 bounce back? I don't think it will unless they release a miracle patch, since it was in a steady decline even before MoP.

The Hours Played for GW2 are in decline, number of players has been holding up pretty well.

GW2 doesn't need a "miracle patch" as the Servers were overcrowded at launch and are pretty healthy right now.

Roughly 9,000 players playing an average of 4 hours a day for X-Fire extrapolates very well for GW2. Like I've already posted, unlike SWTOR you aren't seeing any posts about empty servers or the inability to get groups. Instead you are still seeing people complaining about WvW Queues. For now, things are quite good and I know for sure it will get a population boost next month as ANet is pretty famous for their Holiday Events (and Mad King looks awesome!)

Originally posted by Jackdog

I seriously don't think they are aiming for the same demographic. GW2 is for people who never cared for or are simply tired of WoW style game design. It is obvious that Arenanet is not trying to out WoW Blizzard when they declined to make yet another gear oriented raid centric end game.

You could've stopped right there.  We all sit here endlessly arguing about which is better and what's total fail and it comes down to the simple reality that we're all attracted to different things.

This discussion has been closed.