Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight II v Diablo III

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    I think Diablo is ok but not brilliant, and I am interested in tl2, so this review interested me, but i could not make head nor tail of how good the game was due to the bias. E.g. The story in tl2 is a mess but it's ok because the Diablo story is worse?! As I said I'm no super Diablo fan, but my 5 year old daughter coul understand the story in Diablo.

Actually, their review is here. And a meta-comparison here.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Before i say what I plan on saying, you should know that I used to be a massive Blizzard fan boy, i grew up with the diablo and warcraft series, and i got bored after torchlight 1 in about half a hour and never touched it again.

Regardless, with the hype around TL2 i pre-ordered it, and i do not regret it a single bit.

This game is better then Diablo 3 in every freaking way, it feels smoother, doesn't force online play, doesn't have a stupid money auctionhouse, is cheap to purchase, and arguebly looks better depending on your preferences.

On top of that, you actually get to select your difficulty rather then go through the boring as HELL difficulties in D3 before getting to anything challenging.

Used to love blizzard, after SC2's battlenet and Diablo 3's utter failure, It'll be very hard for them to ever get me to buy one of their games again.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

D3 has superior gameply. But there is so much other wrong with it.

From being unable to choose difficulty to lack of real replayability - and not to mention that game feels like a wessel for RMAH so Blizzard could make more buck.

T3 is more modest game. That doesnt dare much. But its cheap and well crafted.

So where is the problem?

Problem is that D3 came out while there was no much to play. T2 is launching in same day as Borderlands 2 , GW2 is in its heights , and ARPG players allready put down 60$ for another arpg (D3)

I think that they lost 80% of potential customers by launching now and this late.

I am dont have time even to play free demo.

Byt the time I will have wish to play another ARPG , T2 will be 5$ at steam sale ...

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

From being unable to choose difficulty to lack of real replayability - and not to mention that game feels like a wessel for RMAH so Blizzard could make more buck.

Yes. Far too modest for my personal taste so far, after about 6 hours of playing, the most positive thing i saw is the female berserkers starting attire (or the lack of it :) ).

I will continue to play a bit, but it has been much less appealing than the PoE beta, TL2 devs seem to got lost in the "free mmo" skill design, similar to  "+1% chance to slow the enemy by 3%, next level 3.25%", and the dilemma of occasionally ALL of the stats being positive for a character does not help.

The combat is too chaotic at times, 5 things proccing and spamming the area, and mobs and the character seem to be teleporting trough obstacles (or hitting walls trying to hit a thing behind them) far too much for a release and offline mode, but those are details.

We will see.

Flame on!

:)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I think Runic have shelved their plans for a mmo and started working on something else.

Read some article somewhere where they were on about mmo market being saturated and unless they get a very original mmo idea they won't bother.

i read otherwise - in an interview they gave this week

So Runic, What’s Next After Torchlight II?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/20/so-runic-whats-next-after-torchlight-ii/

“[An entirely new, non-Torchlight project] may actually be the thing we decide we want to do next, because we might be so tired of making Torchlight that we’re kind of burned out. Maybe we want to cleanse the system a little bit before we go back to Torchlight. Because, I mean, we’re gonna go back to the Torchlight franchise, obviously. But we may do something else in-between. That’s on the list of things that sound kind of cool, and we have to evaluate down the line.”

Specifically, Schaefer goes on to cite tablets as a big area of interest, as well as – more broadly – Minecraft. “I’ve played a lot of Minecraft over the last year,” he notes. “I’d love to infuse some sandbox-y mechanics into that style of universe.” However, he also adds that “we have 30 guys in the office. I’m sure we have 30 very distinct opinions on what the coolest next thing could be.”

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

So where is the problem?

Problem is that D3 came out while there was no much to play. T2 is launching in same day as Borderlands 2 , GW2 is in its heights , and ARPG players allready put down 60$ for another arpg (D3)

I think that they lost 80% of potential customers by launching now and this late.

I am dont have time even to play free demo.

Byt the time I will have wish to play another ARPG , T2 will be 5$ at steam sale ...

I disagree with you, TL2 has superior gameplay to D3... to me. I love the old ARPGs and TL2 fits them better than D3 does.

The only thing that D3 really does right in my view is the skill combo + rune set up. The environments in D3 are also pretty cool and I like the interactivity with so many objects in each area. Oh and of course all of the dramatic, spectacular cutscenes.

Everything else, TL2 does better, not just filling the holes in D3 you mentioned in your post, but also I prefer the combat of TL2 to D3. Runic really cleaned up their ability system and it seems like the classes have multiple builds they can try out that are really varied. There are no forced synergies, which means that the player has more options on what to use. Just like in TL1, you get to choose between many skills in three different trees, and 4 spell scroll slots. The selection is huge!

There is a huge amount of randomization, chance, and choice. There are trapped areas, secret rooms (how could Blizz forget about secret rooms in D3?), dungeons within dungeons (phase beasts), tons of interesting loot, gambling, transmutation, random enchanting... things that Blizz did not add to D3 even though quite a bit of this was in D2. Ok, crafting in D3 is a bit like transmutation, except that D3's system is unfun because of all of the limitations, costs, and associated grind.

Runic concentrated on gameplay over theatrics, one reason why this game is cheaper than D3. Even though TL2's story is rehashed blah, D3's story is really bad and is forced to the forefront of the game. I was so disappointed when Diablo finally revealed its nature.

I would take Runic's conservatism of the genre over Blizzard's risktaking, because it seems to me the thing that was forgotten in D3's case, one of the main things that players reproach Blizzard for, is that it has lost the Diablo feel and some of the Diablo soul. To me it is because they did forget some of the simple elements that existed in D1 and D2 but do exist in TL2.

It would be a shame for someone to say, "hey I am not going to get this game because I already have D3". They are really not that similar in what they offer other than monster bashing.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Read the article. Don't know much about D3.  Played a Monk till level 7, and Wizard to level 2.  Then uninstalled it.  Just didn't enjoy the game.  Found it boring to say the least.  Better graphics then TL2? Yeah.  Better looks? Maybe, Maybe not.  Depends on preference.  TL2's look really doesn't bother me.  The textures are clean enough for my taste.  TL2 has definitely held my interest though, it's actually competing with Borderlands 2 for my free time.  Where as D3 I honestly haven't given a second thought about since uninstalling it.  Probably never go back to it either.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• insideout321insideout321 Member Posts: 71

If anyone could please tell me i read above there are no closed online servers?

So this means massive hacks ect for online play?

Im guessing this game is more about fun instead of trying to find an awesome end game item?

I loved diablo 2 and how end game was running bosses for sets ect.

Can you trade in this game?

Is there a lobby to find and join games?

I never played TL1 so if anyone could awnser these id appreciate it..

I only play online for the multiplayer but couldnt really get into d3 at the state it is in right now.

Thanks!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by firewater4176

There are no closed Runic run servers.  Your single player character can play online games

Quite possibly.  It just depends on who who play with and how you yourself play the game.

Im guessing this game is more about fun instead of trying to find an awesome end game item?

I don't know what the end game items are like.

Yes there are trades.

Yes, based on average level of the players in the game

I only play online for the multiplayer but couldnt really get into d3 at the state it is in right now.

Thanks!

• insideout321insideout321 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by firewater4176

There are no closed Runic run servers.  Your single player character can play online games

Quite possibly.  It just depends on who who play with and how you yourself play the game.

I don't know what the end game items are like.

Yes there are trades.

Yes, based on average level of the players in the game

Thanks!

Ok thanks .

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

No Real-Money Auction House

Diablo III: Want loot? Buy it! | Torchlight II: Want loot? Play the game!

ROFL!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Very Biased article... but honeslty to me I prefered TL2 over D3. The only thing D3 has more of to me really is polish, it sacrifices a lot of the complexity of D2 in favor of trying to be more 'casual heavy'. Item wise its very iffy as well as the creators didn't seem to grasp the concept of itemization very well and seemed to think 'adding more' will make it better.

Really, its all up to the user if polish is there thing and if they are looking for a more casual geared experience or one thats less forgiving. In some ways you can take it like this.

Path of Exile > Torchlight 2 > Diablo 3

A pretty good link from most complex to the simplest.  Not a list of what is 'better' as its really opinion. Some will like PoE and its much more complex system  for skill tree and being a bit more 'planning' (granted skill refunds do change this, its not exactly the most user friendly to get). Torchlight 2 gives more choice in terms of stats and skills but its over-all an easier choice to make and more clear for the user once you figure out what each skill does. It does limit you in skill roll back but its not all that 'disasterous' either considering you can get a good idea of a skill and refund, and you can get a general idea how it will work relatively early on. Diablo 3 gives you all the glamor straight up with 'runes' to suppliment it, but it gives very little in terms of choice and customization. Its probably the least "Diablo 2" styled of the three despite having the name and familiar characters.

I decided to buy it yesterday and finished Act I on normal.  I chose a berserker as it looked like he was closest to the destroyer from TL1 that I liked.

The combat is very solid but not quite up to D3 standards imo.  It felt a bit less responsive to me and the attacks were much less interesting.  The skill choice so far is actually more limited than D3's partly based on picking one of three "trees".  Each tree seems very limiting so far, but discovered spells may be the solution to this.  I've only found two spells and haven't activated them yet.

The story is non existent and completely non immersive.  That's not a fun killer for this type of game but I always enjoyed the story aspect of D2.

The lobby system is mediocre.  I sorted it by the average level of the players and then looked at the actual level of the players in the game before joining.  This area of the game needs the MOST work.  I wasn't sure how to port to a player in the game, but based on the fact that someone seemed to port to me, it appears that functionality is in the game.

The music is good.  I had actually listened to the soundtrack they gave away before buying the game.  It's not up to D2 standards but it's better than the D3 soundtrack.

The lack of full respecs would have prevented me from buying the game if it used closed BNET like servers.  But since it will be easy to do with character editors it's not a huge deal.  Schaefer is very closed minded on this part of the game and things rerolling is good because it adds a grind to keep players playing.  That's a crappy design feature to be honest and only worked in D2 because of how easy it was to rush characters in that game.  I sure as hell don't want to reroll just to try the other trees of a class.  Stat allocation is the other area that will require rerolls or character editors.

The longevity of this game strikes me as very limited.  The fact that it's so easy to hack items to be the best possible pretty much guarantees this.  But I knew that when I bought it.  Single player mods are of no interest to me.  This is a good game to play in between other games and when your online games are offline.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Pretty much backwards in terms of quality and how many people will play each game.  POE is a piece of crap.

D2 > D3 > TQ > TL2 > TL1 > POE

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I like both. I'm glad I have both. I think D3 is better, but D3 does not cost $20.

Plus with the improvements made to D3, many of the complaints have been dealt with. So what D3 is now, and what TL2 is now, D3 is better, IMO.

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110

I am having fun when playing torchlight II so its 20 euros well spent. I didn't enjoy d3 during the beta so I never bought it. I felt like a guinea pig and the mad clicking made my hand hurt, which has never happened before.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174

The longevity of this game strikes me as very limited.  The fact that it's so easy to hack items to be the best possible pretty much guarantees this.  But I knew that when I bought it.  Single player mods are of no interest to me.  This is a good game to play in between other games and when your online games are offline.

Not that I'm putting down your playstyle, but the two sentences I highlighted are complementary. Part of the reason moddability is a desirable trait is because it increases longevity. With modding, you can look forward to entirely new spell sets, classes, items, dungeons, you name it.

Honestly, I'm not even sure TL2 has uniques. They'd be rather pointless in a game like this.

Remember, even the D3 team admintted: "While many people are playing co-op, it's still a minority of games. Ideally we would like players who want to play solo to be able to solo, and players who want to play co-op to play co-op. At the moment though playing solo is the clear choice"

Well, duh.

Torchlight and Diablo (and Borderlands) share two core mechanics - combat and loot upgrades. That's what these games are about. While there are tertiary mechanics (trading for D3 and modding for TL), the tiny dopamine rush of a new piece of gear is still what differentiates ARPGS from other types of games. The moddable core of TL2 will ensure that that loot rush never has to end or get stale.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Seelinnikoi
    Originally posted by Thralia can torchlight 2 sell 10m copies ?
    I see...

So we can assume that Justin Bieber is the best thing that ever happened to the music industry surely.

Because I pretty much doubt that any band/musician has the number of his fans and popularity.

Think you actually meant to say The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Madonna and Elton John are the best things that ever happened to the music industry, since they're the top 5 selling artists of all time.

And you know what? That actually doesn't sound quite so insane, does it?

Pretty much backwards in terms of quality and how many people will play each game.  POE is a piece of crap.

Where did the bad PoE touch you? :)

It just strikes me as odd that you would put D2 first and the game which is arguably closest to it in its gameplay and setup as last. 

Flame on!

Originally posted by Banaghran

It just strikes me as odd that you would put D2 first and the game which is arguably closest to it in its gameplay and setup as last. 

Flame on!

It's because POE gets it  more wrong than any of the listed games do.  POE literally has every element of the genre wrong or at least VERY poorly implemented.  Get the combat right, from the start and then improve the music and art/animations and they may have a chance.

People kept hijacking D3 threads claiming POE was the real deal and what D3 should have been.  I've tried it twice on free weekends and quit both times on the first free day.  I WANT a real successor to D2, but it sure as hell isn't POE.  My next hope is on Lineage Eternal as D3 and TL2 aren't the real deal either.

Why did they choose a "passive" skill tree and skill gems/runes?  Really, what a horrible design.  They also get tons of feedback and are VERY closed to altering the biggest problems.

They also haven't defined how their cash shop will work and if they will actually sell full respecs for cash.  If they do only make full respecs available for cash then good luck to them.

• cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Is Marvel Heroes going to have a better gameplay then TL2 and D3?

Flame on!

It's because POE gets it  more wrong than any of the listed games do.  POE literally has every element of the genre wrong or at least VERY poorly implemented.  Get the combat right, from the start and then improve the music and art/animations and they may have a chance.

People kept hijacking D3 threads claiming POE was the real deal and what D3 should have been.  I've tried it twice on free weekends and quit both times on the first free day.  I WANT a real successor to D2, but it sure as hell isn't POE.  My next hope is on Lineage Eternal as D3 and TL2 aren't the real deal either.

Why did they choose a "passive" skill tree and skill gems/runes?  Really, what a horrible design.  They also get tons of feedback and are VERY closed to altering the biggest problems.

They also haven't defined how their cash shop will work and if they will actually sell full respecs for cash.  If they do only make full respecs available for cash then good luck to them.

Way to use many words and say absolutely nothing.

I will stay at my original "he did not like it", ok? :)

Flame on!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Personally, I'm having more fun with TL2. Which is surprising because I was not a huge fan of the first TL game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Know what's also cool in tl2, the amount of randomness, I started all 4 classes, every run through of the first couple of hours was completely different.

Other goodies compared to d3 are
    Not constantly porting to town to sell stuff
    Not needing to use a bloody ah
    The faster pace
    Being able to start on higher difficulty
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

Flame on!

Way to use many words and say absolutely nothing.

I will stay at my original "he did not like it", ok? :)

Flame on!

Obversver POV: Obviously, you like it more than he does. His post actually had substance explaining his disdain for the game.  On the other hand, all you have to show are smiley faces for your lack of any thing relevant to say. :)

That said, I'm looking forward to POE. Its item customization actually holds more interest  to me than TL2's cookie-cutter formula.