Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

really pissed off at arenanet

2»

Comments

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by birdycephon

Reusing username/password combos leads to hacked accounts.

You should check your other games, see which other ones you lost.

This right here. Dunno why people don't switch thier passwords and make them unique for every game they play. Maybe some day people will learn to stop being dumb and doing this...

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by rasiem
    thanks man now of they were smart they would have had the authenticater from release I new being a F2p game this was going to happen programmers were just waiting for the release lol I bet D3 is hacker free right now lol.

That just sounds ignorant. Battlenet accounts have been hacked since the dawn of gold selling. And since your D3 account is linked to your battlenet account if the main hub is compromised all the subordinates fall; WoW and D3. saying it's hacker free is just plain ignorant and laughable at best.

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Been hack for 4 days now with only 2 irrelavent responses I know they have had over 10k accounts hacked but come on this is rediculous. And no support number are you kidding me who do these people think they are I purchased 2 games and both keys got hacked and the email changed these fuckers are getting better and better.

Ive said it before it always seems to be on the users end when this happens in my experience. Either clicking on emails without actually checking where they lead to, useing same un/pass for other forums and gaming sites or just plan using downloaded bots and hacks/buying gold. Heard it all from my old guild in Rift and old friends in Aion but turned out they were using flight hacks ( in rift) and bots for Aion. So its hard to believe anyone that blames the company nowadays.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Emeraq
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Did you not have the email verification thing on?

This thing is a pain in the ass, as centurylink keeps deciding to change what city my internet is coming out of, so I have to validate every day it seems as the game detects a new ISP.

When you do the verification theres a check box to make sure it saves it. Are you checking it? If so then it's probably your ISP. Though your IP shouldn't change despite your ISP.

• nadrian3knadrian3k Member UncommonPosts: 101
    No offense but u must be the most unexperienced "mmo vet" i have ever seen. That tho' doesn't excuse ANets delay in solving your hand-made issue
  • wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172
    Sorry but OP has to be some kind of idiot. I read as much of the thread as possible but he is clearly one of those words we are not allowed to call people. That or he is unfathomably stupid. Either way, LOL.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Been hack for 4 days now with only 2 irrelavent responses I know they have had over 10k accounts hacked but come on this is rediculous. And no support number are you kidding me who do these people think they are I purchased 2 games and both keys got hacked and the email changed these fuckers are getting better and better.

The same thing happened to me a few weeks back.

This is one of the areas where Anet is really dropping the ball, and I'm kind of annoyed it doesn't get talked about more. Their CS isn't bad about handling issues, but their response times & the manner in which they respond are pretty bad for cases like this.

They really need a better system for dealing w/ cases like this, because it's a problem that won't go away. Currently, it seems to take them about a full week (7 days) to respond to, and resolve such issues. With the current system you won't even know your ticket is being looked at until it's been resolved, which basically leaves you in the dark for days at a time.

The best I can say for you is to make a ticket with the phrase 'HELP! HACKED ACCOUNT!' or something along those lines in the subjet heading. You can also try putting your ticket # on the gw2 reddit and see if they notice it. Sorry to hear you're having such trouble.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

idk, they seem pretty forefront about it, even mentioning that they're observing the hackers behavior.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/?utm_source=client

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Most people who get hacked, they have corrupted PC... If you got 2 accounts hacked its like 95% sure that u got some vicious program on your computer. I advice people to use this email authentication system they have. I have been tried to hack but they dont have my email its attachted to.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Thanes

idk, they seem pretty forefront about it, even mentioning that they're observing the hackers behavior.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/?utm_source=client

They are pretty good about acknowledging when they have a problem (usually).

However there's quite a big difference between 'ya, people are getitng their accounts hacked and we're working on it', and 'hey, we recieved your support ticket and will be looking into your specific case. Please be patient, we're trying to reolve the issue as fast as we can'.

It may seem like something small, but just that simple line of letting your customers know you are looking into their troubles, instead of issuing out blanket responses and posting on reddit that people are having problems goes quite a long way. Good customer service is as much about reassuring the customers as it is resolving issues. Atm, Anet isn't doing a bad job with resolving issues, but they are doing a pretty bad job w/ reassuring customers & responding to them in a timely manner.

When it happened to me I, myself, was getting close to just cancelling my account (and I've been w/ Anet since the launch of GW1). However, luckily I found posts on reddit explaining what was going on. Most players don't know about that and aren't going to resort to reddit to try and find out about support issues.

Not being able to talk to an actual person is bad enough. Having to wait upwards of a week just to find out if you're ticket's been looked at is unacceptable.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I agree with that its a very stupid idea but I made a saperate email for GW2. and dont you have to download somthing from your email for people to ge in.

Most of the people who got hacked used the same password for the mail as for the game and used it on not so safe forums as well so they search the databases of stolen passwords/mail adresses and when they find one that is used in GW2 (often when people buy gold) they try the old password. Or they just try password from sites at random, this site got hacked a few years back.

I use a specific mail for my NC soft games since my GW1 was hacked a few years back (yes, I stupidly had the same password and mail as I had here). No problems since.

And yes, NC softs policy to use the mailadress as accountname is not a good idea.

And even if you think securely they still can have a keylogger or something, but 99,99% of all accounthacks could be stopped if people were more paranoid about security.

And even more would go away if all scumbags stopped buying gold from suspicios goldsellers. Stealing accounts and robbing them is so much cheaper and easier than gold farming sweatshops or bots today, all larger games know that.

NC soft could have a better system but all major games are plauged by this, only way to really stop it is by stopping buying gold.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    You might want to turn your anger towards the person that made it possible. Yourself. It's always someone elses fault it seems.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

That's terrible! I personally went for a unique 20+ character long password (alfa+ALFA+NUM+common punctation) that would require about 100000000000000000000 years to brute force at 1000000000000 tries per second and guess what? I haven't been hacked so far, not on any of my accounts for that matter.

Use a different one for the actual E-mail account and have decent security on your systems so that keyloggers don't get much of a chance.

If you have both accounts hacked then you most probably have a security issue. Either a keylogger or your E-mail accounts have been compomised a long time ago. If you never got that confirmation E-mail and it didn't go in the Junk E-mail folder, then they probably accepted and deleted it faster than you could think of doing it. Go for longer passwords (20+ should be plenty) and make them unique once you clean out your system. Don't use the same password for different accounts, because the hackers will find those relatively fast.

I'm sorry you got hacked, but very few hackers brute-force these days. More often than not they know your E-mail adress and the passwords you use from another game. Unique and long passwords and you should be clear, only thing that can get you then is a keylogger or someone invading your system and getting the password list unless you keep it on paper only.

Don't count "WhateverYouWant001" and "WhateverYouWant002" etc as unique passwords. Hackers aren't dumb if they managed to steal two of your accounts.

I'm not sure this is ArenaNet's fault at all, but nothing is for sure these days. You can only be careful.

Good luck in getting everything sorted out. And you probably read this already, right?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/

imageimage
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Originally posted by Emeraq

This thing is a pain in the ass, as centurylink keeps deciding to change what city my internet is coming out of, so I have to validate every day it seems as the game detects a new ISP.

When you do the verification theres a check box to make sure it saves it. Are you checking it? If so then it's probably your ISP. Though your IP shouldn't change despite your ISP.

Well, with a dynamic IP he can get a new one everytime he turns on his computer, or he could have the same for months... It really depends on the ISP. 

Still, it is not something I would turn off myself.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    How the heck do you get both of your accounts hacked??! You should check for malware in your system, don't know what you use for passwords but I would also make sure those are better than pass123.

+1

quote sheldon cooper "ITS NOT HACKING... when you use the same pw for all your accounts."

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Do a google search man theres been over 10,000 players with this problem if they sink it will be because of this...

10,000 hacked accounts out of over 2million is less than 0.5% of their player base.

What on earth makes you think that will "sink them"?!

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    that would be awsome bro its 120927-003933 I dont have any friends that play atm.

Ok, just posted it here:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Tickets-for-Review-5-days-and-older-merged/page/31

keep an eye on your email, that thread and this other one to see if there's any answer:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Account-Issue-Updates-Posted-Daily

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

hang in m8..took me 7 days to get account back..also when you get account back there is a possibility that whoever took your account used it for  gold selling,well more than a chance that you will get banned afterwards..these low lifes dont give a shit.my advice..create a brand new e-mail and passowrd,do not use the newly created e-mail to surf the net,also DO check for malware on your system.since i got my account back i have had no probs with account..installed spyware software,malware software,everything really..oh and like one of the other posts stated check other gaming accounts m8..gl in getting your account back,but Anet do not have the best customer service,thats for sure.

p.s do not submit more than one ticket..each time you do you go to the back of the queue.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Nobody to blame but yourself I'm afraid.

Call yourself a 'MMO Vet' yet you're stupid enough to get hacked, figures.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Celusios

My question is how do you people get hacked so easily? I have never in my entire 6 years as a gamer been hacked or briefed except for when phishing came along (but I quickly changed my password and other information after). 

I can only guess that its not as much ArenaNet's fault as the person who gets hacked. Using basic passwords, same ones you use for other sites, never changing it, etc is your own fault in my eyes. ArenaNet can only protect you to an extent, as can any company.

I have no idea how people manage to get their stuff taken..

Not had a virus on my PC or an account breached in over 10/11 years since I started playing online games. What's funny though is pretty much everyone else I know has had their stuff hacked at one point or another barring the one guy who is about as security conscious as myself, he does go slightly overboard though I must admit.

All the other guys I know who have had their stuff taken use terrible passwords and use the same details on multiple sites/accounts, go figure.