Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Minecraft developer follows Blizzard and Valve in refusal to certify for Windows 8.

CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,273Member

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/notch-refuses-to-certify-minecraft-for-closed-windows-8-platfo/

This is the 3rd company that refuses to support Windows 8.

What this means in English is that the game might run on Windows 8 if you choose to do so, but the companies refuse to support Windows 8, nor support Metro or any form of Windows 8 store baked into the OS on the ground it's a closed OS.

lol at the tweet btw

«13456

Comments

  • TardcoreTardcore MinskPosts: 2,325Member
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/notch-refuses-to-certify-minecraft-for-closed-windows-8-platfo/

    This is the 3rd company that refuses to support Windows 8.

    What this means in English is that the game might run on Windows 8 if you choose to do so, but the companies refuse to support Windows 8, nor support Metro or any form of Windows 8 store baked into the OS on the ground it's a closed OS.

    lol at the tweet btw

    LOL! Classic! Thanks for sharing this.

    image

    "Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

  • TorlukTorluk EdinburghPosts: 162Member
    Gotta love Notch, he's a smart cookie.
  • V1kN1kV1kN1k AgarvePosts: 27Member
    Notch is amazing <3!

    DMC

  • BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member
    Does it really affect windows or will it just hurt them in the end?
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Oh I expected this from notch

    But didn't know blizzard had taken a stand against m$ trying to own the pc as a gaming platform like its a console.

    Well done blizzard I guess they aren't fully on their way to becoming an ea like evil empire. Still annoyed at diablo 3 "moneytizing" shenanigans though.
  • IchmenIchmen Winnipeg, MBPosts: 1,228Member
    i dont know why ANYONE would want to cert for win8.. if MS follows its typical OS launch win8 will be a pile of manure so you will have to wait for win8 SP2 for a stable OS or win9 or whatever number they use...

    CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.8GHz
    Evga GeForce 670 FTW
    Evga P55 SLI

    <image

  • CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,273Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh I expected this from notch

    But didn't know blizzard had taken a stand against m$ trying to own the pc as a gaming platform like its a console.

    Well done blizzard I guess they aren't fully on their way to becoming an ea like evil empire. Still annoyed at diablo 3 "moneytizing" shenanigans though.

    aye, here is the Blizzard tweet for the luls

  • grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,873Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ichmen
    i dont know why ANYONE would want to cert for win8.. if MS follows its typical OS launch win8 will be a pile of manure so you will have to wait for win8 SP2 for a stable OS or win9 or whatever number they use...

    Been running WIn8 release for several weeks now.  All games run fine on it so far.

    OS as a whole?  Nothing really sticks out....except it takes me 5 sec to boot up which is pretty remarkable since on 7 this PC used to take upwards of a minute (not using any SSDs)

    Edit: Article is a bit misleading but apparently supposed to be about the Windows 8 RT (OS for the tablets), not the Windows 8 you install on your laptop or desktop.

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh I expected this from notchBut didn't know blizzard had taken a stand against m$ trying to own the pc as a gaming platform like its a console.Well done blizzard I guess they aren't fully on their way to becoming an ea like evil empire. Still annoyed at diablo 3 "moneytizing" shenanigans though.

    Suppose if Microsoft moved to a metro style certification they wouldn't be to happy about that 30% revenue tax would they.

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • YakkinYakkin irvine, CAPosts: 919Member
    I have not been keeping up with the times regarding Windows 8, but what exactly is bad about it?
  • daemondaemon TimisoaraPosts: 680Member
    thank god!
  • spookydomspookydom BristolPosts: 1,782Member Uncommon
    Good for Notch! :)

    image

  • TorlukTorluk EdinburghPosts: 162Member
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    I have not been keeping up with the times regarding Windows 8, but what exactly is bad about it?

    I'm no expert on it but people are worrying that win 8 is the first step in a process which will end up with microsoft operating in the manner that apple does.  The worst case scenario that some are wary of is that eventually you'll only be able to buy and run programs from the windows shop.

  • GruntyGrunty Fort Worth, TXPosts: 7,034Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    I have not been keeping up with the times regarding Windows 8, but what exactly is bad about it?

    Microsoft is trying to move toward a closed platform operating system like Apple has and is also trying to turn their operating system into a paid monthly/annual subscription platform via a cloud based operating system.

  • CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,273Member
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    I have not been keeping up with the times regarding Windows 8, but what exactly is bad about it?

    It's complex but I'll try to explain it short.

    You can devide the reasons into 2 parts.

    -many people don't like it because it is basically the windows you know mashed together with a tablet OS, which is not very intuitive at times if you don't use a tablet, i.e. you use a PC

    -the reason Valve, Blizzard and Notch don't like it is another reason, it has to do with the baked in store Windows 8 has, part of the certification process of Windows 8 includes certifying your program for the store, a store where Microsoft asks a cut of the profits. So if Notch wants to certify for Windows 8, or any other company, MS asks for store certification, which means their game will be available in the Windows 8 baked in store, and MS is asking for 30% iirc of the profit margin (once you sell over a certain amount of units, this decreases). Up till now this was in the hands of the companies themselves, like Steam, Blizzard store and Minecraft download, if the Windows 8 store becomes popular, games will be bought through Microsoft, which will mean a significant cut in the profits of game developers.

  • grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,873Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    I have not been keeping up with the times regarding Windows 8, but what exactly is bad about it?

    Nothing so bad with the OS.  Just Microsoft trying to control the world again.  They should have been broken up back when they were ruled against.

  • HokieHokie Vancouver Wa.Posts: 1,063Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Good for Notch! :)

    Good for notch and more importantly good for us.

    "I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

  • YakkinYakkin irvine, CAPosts: 919Member

    Originally posted by grunty

    Microsoft is trying to move toward a closed platform operating system like Apple has and is also trying to turn their operating system into a paid monthly/annual subscription platform via a cloud based operating system.

    Originally posted by CalmOceans

    It's complex but I'll try to explain it short.

    You can devide the reasons into 2 parts.

    -many people don't like it because it is basically the windows you know mashed together with a tablet OS, which is not very intuitive at times if you don't use a tablet, i.e. you use a PC

    -the reason Valve, Blizzard and Notch don't like it is another reason, it has to do with the baked in store Windows 8 has, part of the certification process of Windows 8 includes certifying your program for the store, a store where Microsoft asks a cut of the profits. So if Notch wants to certify for Windows 8, or any other company, MS asks for store certification, which means their game will be available in the Windows 8 baked in store, and MS is asking for 30% iirc of the profit margin. Up till now this was in the hands of the companies themselves, like Steam, Blizzard store and Minecraft download, if the Windows 8 store becomes popular, games will be bought through Microsoft, which will mean a significant cut in the profits of game developers.

    Originally posted by grimal

    Nothing so bad with the OS.  Just Microsoft trying to control the world again.  They should have been broken up back when they were ruled against.

    @grunty EFF THAT! I am not paying more money just to access a computer I bought!

    @Calm Windows mashed with a tablet? I have a Kindle, I don't need my computer to be one too. Also sucks for the devs of the game industry.

    @grimal ruled against? got a link?

  • grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,873Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

    @grunty EFF THAT! I am not paying more money just to access a computer I bought!

    @Calm Windows mashed with a tablet? I have a Kindle, I don't need my computer to be one too. Also sucks for the devs of the game industry.

    @grimal ruled against? got a link?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

     

  • RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXPosts: 3,480Member Uncommon
    A monthly fee to use Windows 8? Can't wait to see the outcome of that.

    image

  • GruntyGrunty Fort Worth, TXPosts: 7,034Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    A monthly fee to use Windows 8? Can't wait to see the outcome of that.

    Not necessarily Windows 8 but somewhere down the line. I think their official line is that they are 'exploring' the concept of a subscription base operating system when/if they make it cloud based.

  • gigatgigat Minneapolis, MNPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Does it really affect windows or will it just hurt them in the end?

    From what I understand, Microsoft wants to sell other developers' software on the Microsoft app store.  I think this means Microsoft would make a percentage off each sale.

    This is probably the main reason most developers are upset about Windows 8.  The Microsoft app store would pretty much eliminate the need for Steam.  And it means Blizzard would have to share their profit with Microsoft.

     

    It's a pretty good deal for Microsoft, but it hurts the developers.

    "Lose the helmet sis, we can't prove that you're retarded." - Dennis Reynolds

  • YakkinYakkin irvine, CAPosts: 919Member
    Mildly offtopic, but is Bill Gates himself a control freak? He WAS the CEO before he stepped down from full time IIRC.
  • laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,937Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    A monthly fee to use Windows 8? Can't wait to see the outcome of that.

    It's amazing how people can act like cattle. Xbox user's will pay a monthly fee to play games online and put up with all that advertising to boot.  I wouldnt touch one with a 10ft pole because of this.

     

    "If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you." - Bruce Lee

  • ThebigthrillThebigthrill Eastpointe, MIPosts: 117Member
    I also read that this would all but eliminate small indie developers.

    "Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

    Saying invented by me.

«13456
Sign In or Register to comment.