Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertisement Blocking Banner Discussion and Feedback

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by gigat

You guys do a great job of making the content accessible.  There's always room for improvement though.  The basic layout and functionallity is great, but the site could use some new artwork.  Specifically the main navigation bar could use an update.  Something like RTSguru.com, but with the MMORPG.com colors.

Oh and the mobile version of MMORPG.com needs an update.  At the very least you gotta put the recent forum post tracker on there ;)

I think you'll really like the new site Evan is building... yes, just one guy.  :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Originally posted by MikeB

I don't even pay attention to the ads.  I was using an ad blocker recently because the ads themselves weren't displaying correctly.  Other than that, the ads have never bothered me to the point where it made me want to rage quit the website.

In a systems analysis class I took several years ago, MMORPG.com was used as an example of how to design a good interface (I showed MMORPG.com to my instructor because I was curious what he thought of it, and he later showed it to the class).  Regardless of the ads, it's a very well-built website.  It's attractive, good colors, easy to use, great content.  I approve of MMORPG.com, and the crazy amount of mostly-relevant ads :)

Wow! That's really awesome. Thanks for the kind words!

You guys do a great job of making the content accessible.  There's always room for improvement though.  The basic layout and functionallity is great, but the site could use some new artwork.  Specifically the main navigation bar could use an update.  Something like RTSguru.com, but with the MMORPG.com colors.

Oh and the mobile version of MMORPG.com needs an update.  At the very least you gotta put the recent forum post tracker on there ;)

I think our art wizard Evan is largely done with a new look/feel for MMORPG.com.  It should "moderize" things a bit without changing the current flow of the site.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

I don't mind the ads on this site, they are relevant to the content, some have pretty cool looking pics on them, they kinda look the part with he site, and I have actually found a couple of fun games to play by clicking on one or two of them.. 

At least they aren't depressing me by telling me how inadequate I am in bed with out buying their special little blue pill..

As long as they stay relevant to the content and site, they are fine wit me... and I am sure the mmorpg.com staff screens the adds first to make sure they don't have anything malicious in them.. 

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232
    I do spend much time here and appreciate the effort put into this site, so whitelisted you shall be!
    Originally posted by Draxonfly

I don't mind the ads on this site, they are relevant to the content, some have pretty cool looking pics on them, they kinda look the part with he site, and I have actually found a couple of fun games to play by clicking on one or two of them.. 

At least they aren't depressing me by telling me how inadequate I am in bed with out buying their special little blue pill..

As long as they stay relevant to the content and site, they are fine wit me... and I am sure the mmorpg.com staff screens the adds first to make sure they don't have anything malicious in them.. 

Thank you Draxonfly.  Since I started the site nearly a decade ago I always insisted that advertising be ultra relevant.  This means video games, game hardware, guides, guild hosting, etc.  I always looked back to the fact that in the days before the Internet boom I would buy gaming magazines almost exclusively to browse through the big glossy ads - it was the only way to really know what was coming out next or what might be waiting on the shelf at the local game shop.

I hope to keep this policy forever.  However, if we reach a point where we cannot support the site on this model we might have to consider other options or join larger ad networks that don't share these philosophies.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

While I dispise the constant strategic trolling, I will support the site and have whitelisted it with adblocker. This is really the only place I come to for MMO news and such.

I'll have to disagree with the comment from the admin about the potential downward spiral that could be caused by adblocking software. There are always up-and-comers and website hobbiests who would pop-up and give something away for free that another site may "one day" charge for.

I been playing online games since it was a pay service on AOL for 1.10$ an hour with games like Air Warriors 2 and warcraft orcs and humans. The internet has changed quite a bit since then and it will continue to change. How is anybodys guess.

**Edit** First time I'm seeing that MoP video ad since unblocking and its pretty cool, lol. Still aint buying that game though. tehehe

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

The ads themselves are not a problem at all actually, and I would gladly de-block them, if it would be only about the ads being displayed like an ad in the undergroud-station or wherever.

The reason I block everything is the related things like trackers and apis, and especially the security-issues with flash and gifs etc.

SO! If you can guarantee 100% safety for the ads that are displayed on your site and hold responsible, if any ad leads to isues, then I'll whitelist you.

This site alone, i.e. the reply-page, has 5 javascripts running (blocked in my case) and the front-page sports 7 javascripts not controlled by you. Just saying.

Originally posted by Deathenger

I'll have to disagree with the comment from the admin about the potential downward spiral that could be caused by adblocking software. There are always up-and-comers and website hobbiests who would pop-up and give something away for free that another site may "one day" charge for.

This is how I started - as a hobbiest that started a MMO site.  Next thing I knew the sole web server I was running the site was blowing up and my hosting bills and server were staggering.  Users want more content, more features, and more development - your forums get so big that you cannot depend on volunteer moderators - you need full time ones.  Before you know it you have to quit your full time job and convince the wife that you are not sending your family off a cliff by running a video game site for a living.  If people want a site that can capacitate 3,000,000+ users per month it will not be ran cheaply and it will need to be supported by some kind of revenue stream.  We have over 10 people working full time to make this site possible...this is their job and their livelihood.

I think we run this site as efficiently as possible.  We have no corporate office, no bloated executive staff, no sales people - just passionate gamers working from their homes all over the world.  We cannot get any leaner without sacrificing quality or stability.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Hi

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I will not remove any of my ad blockers

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    I run adblock plus and  noscript on my browser. I have no idea how to even whitelist a site. I have mmorpg.com "allowed" through noscript already but i guess that isnt enough.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

Originally posted by Kenze
    I run adblock plus and  noscript on my browser. I have no idea how to even whitelist a site. I have mmorpg.com "allowed" through noscript already but i guess that isnt enough.

I think we are revising the top banner to have a link to show users how to white list a site on AdBlock.  A quick search yeided this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/whitelist-makeuseof-adblock-plea-adblock-filter-developer/

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I don't really trust any ad service; have had too many problems. 

Sorry. 

a yo ho ho

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Admin
    Originally posted by saylorxi
    I regulary use this site for news, though I don't post much as you can see. I cannot stand ads and myself have an adblocker in place. What I actually wouldn't mind doing is throwing the site a few bucks in return for not having ads show up on my site. I am someone who has a disposable income that I don't mind supporting the sites I use but haven't really seen an option for something like this.Do you have a members plus option or something similar? I would much prefer this option over seeing my  window cluttered.

This is an option we are considering.  If we do this it will only be to disable ads - we won't give any special member benefits like other sites do with special access to beta keys, etc.  We really want to keep the site 100% free to all users.

I would greatly appreciate to have the option to just pay a fee to have an add free MMORPG.com experience.

I like you guys...really i do.  I, however, don't like ads but I do understand this is your main source of income. I will put you on my white list but I really would appreciate it if there was an option to make us both happy.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if the only benefit I received was knowing that you guys are making the money you need to run this place and I don't have to stare at the ads.

But for now I guess I'll swallow my pride ;)

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535
    Originally posted by Failings

I understand the reasons for your request but I respectfully decline.

I hate being subjected to publicity vigourously. On TV, when it's time for adds, I change the channel. In the street, when I see an add on a bus I look the other way. As much as I enjoy fooling around on these forums, I'm not going to change my habits.

Since I try to be a decent and integral fellow in life, I will stop logging onto the site and I will no longer post. (Not a huge loss, I'm mostly a troll anyways.)

Thanks for the many years of free service, this is the best MMORPG site around, imo, by a long shot.

I'd actually be willing to pay a small monthly sub to access an add free mmorpg.com, but until there is such an option, I guess it's adios and best of luck to all of you in your future adventures, online and off.

Wow way to be a drama queen...nobody said leave they simple just asked people to whitelist their site so they get ad revenue.

Anyhow I don't see why so many people are making a big fus over whitelisting the site. It's the best MMO site out there and I visit it almost everyday, if whitelisting helps them out then I'll gladly spend 2 minutes and do it.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Click the little down arrow near the ABP logo in your browser and hit 'Disable on mmorpg.com'. :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

As a regular user of these forums I don't block the ads, I understand they help pay the bill and I never want to be accused of being a freeloader, I pay for what I use.

Thanks for the great site, really the only one I bother with in the Internet.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Hi guys,

In a couple of minutes here we'll be pushing live a banner at the very top of the site that will only show to those who have not whitelisted us in their ad-blocking browser add-ons.

As you may know, our continued existence depends entirely on advertising revenue. Unfortunately, we've found that a significant portion of visitors are using advertisement blocking add-ons that end up blocking ads here on the site. The new banner will be launched alongside an ad policies page that clearly outlines our strict policy towards the types of ads and ad content we allow on the site.

Why are we doing this?

While we do depend on advertisement revenue, we understand (and also hate) disruptive and annoying web advertisements. This is why we've always taken extra care to only allow ads relevant to you while also restricting ourselves from utilizing some of the more annoying types of web ads you may have had the displeasure of experiencing elsewhere. Maintaining that balance between our need for ad revenue and our visitors' desire for a positive user experience is extremely important to us.

With that in mind, the new banner and policy page are being launched to educate adblocking visitors of the efforts we make to maintain this balance and how blocking ads may negatively impact our ability to provide you all with the free service and content you enjoy from us on a daily basis. With this information in hand, we're also asking these visitors to consider adding us to their whitelists.

This thread has been created to allow you the opportunity to discuss the new banner and provide us with constructive feedback. Discussion of this subject outside of this thread will be locked and redirected here.

TL;DR: We're not going to stop you from blocking our ads, but we'd greatly appreciate it if you didn't! Please go over our ad policies and consider putting us on your whitelist. :)

Thanks for your understanding!

I don't block your ads. My computer remains safe and I don't have any issues viewing the site while the ads are there. I do agree that really flashy ads may annoy occasionally but on a whole I barely notice them. Keep on doing what you're doing, I enjoy coming here.

Originally posted by Kilrane
    Originally posted by saylorxi
    I regulary use this site for news, though I don't post much as you can see. I cannot stand ads and myself have an adblocker in place. What I actually wouldn't mind doing is throwing the site a few bucks in return for not having ads show up on my site. I am someone who has a disposable income that I don't mind supporting the sites I use but haven't really seen an option for something like this.Do you have a members plus option or something similar? I would much prefer this option over seeing my  window cluttered.

This is an option we are considering.  If we do this it will only be to disable ads - we won't give any special member benefits like other sites do with special access to beta keys, etc.  We really want to keep the site 100% free to all users.

I would greatly appreciate to have the option to just pay a fee to have an add free MMORPG.com experience.

I like you guys...really i do.  I, however, don't like ads but I do understand this is your main source of income. I will put you on my white list but I really would appreciate it if there was an option to make us both happy.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if the only benefit I received was knowing that you guys are making the money you need to run this place and I don't have to stare at the ads.

But for now I guess I'll swallow my pride ;)

Thanks Kilrane,

We are seriously looking at a donation option to disable ads.  I don't like it to be honest because I don't like the thought of taking money from users - I always figured giving the site to the community for free and getting our revenue from the advertisers was the better way.  

We are seeing a lot of people asking for this and so this is very likely going to happen.  Thank you so much for your support of MMORPG.com and your feedback.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Click the little down arrow near the ABP logo in your browser and hit 'Disable on mmorpg.com'. :)

thanks. ok I clicked allow mmorpg.com for adblock.

So if the big red block at the top is gone then Im good with the site?  I dont have to allow through noscript or adblock all this other stuff like serving-sys.com, viglink.com, doubleclick.net, udmserve,net, quantserve.net, etc?

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by Worstluck
    I realize you guys make money from ads, however, I would not be clicking on said ads regardless so I block them for safety and just to make the page readable.  Now will I permanently have a big red bar accross the top of the page?

It does not matter if you click the ads.  We sell ads based on impressions, not clicks/results.  So even if you don't click the ads you hurt our entire site by running a blocker.  Running adblock on a site that supports itself with advertisements is no different than downloading pirated movies, music or video games.  You are in a sense stealing our content that we work hard to create and pay to an entire team to create.

I was halted by this before I got any further, yup there's another 5 pages at this time but whoa!

Either this is a really bad attempt at PR by a junior, or/and I just got insulted and labelled a theif.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I come here for the forums and "User" provided content.

Although I appreciate that you provide this service, I would hope that you realise that your income "based on impressions" is most probably provided by the very people who don't visit this site to read much other than the forums.

We, the users, provide this content that Google likes so much, pulling visitors and "impressions" - whether we're "adblock"ing or not.

Well go ahead, if you want to make me feel bad about visiting THIS site, when I'm running AdBlock everywhere else... you can see the outcome I'm sure.

thanks. ok I clicked allow mmorpg.com for adblock.

So if the big red block at the top is gone then Im good with the site?  I dont have to allow through noscript or adblock all this other stuff like serving-sys.com, viglink.com, doubleclick.net, udmserve,net, quantserve.net, etc?

I don't know much about AdBlock or NoScript but I think that if you white list us it will override the specific domain blocks.  A lot of our ads (like the SMITE ones) are coming from DoubleClick.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I don't mind advertisements, unfortunately a lot of these ads have become extremely disruptive on sites from making sounds to playing videos and over-all disruptive to my experience. Youtube for example has those commericials which completely annoy me. Banners though are fine. So long as I'm not seeing scroll over video or hearing sound effects or seeing insanely distratcting images, I'm good. Once that line is crossed though, it starts to really bother me. 
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I'll ask again. Who's responsible for any damages an ad or script on this site might cause?

If mmorpg.com can't guarantee that there won't be any issues caused by ads or scripts and can't be held responsible for them, then I don't see me whitelisting this site.

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

I always appreciate the way MMORPG.com runs their ads. I've never felt they've taken away from the site and I've actually clicked on a few because the offering appealed to me. :)

This discussion has been closed.