Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minecraft???

ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

Ok I know I am going to get lots of flame for this but I have to ask a few questions:

1. Why isn’t Minecraft on MMORPG? Isn’t it kind of one?
  2. Why is it so darn popular?
    1. I don’t play it but my son does.  Everyone he knows plays it. Yes, it is for a younger crowd but not only young people play. I have also seen my son watching lots of YouTube videos of people making very extravagant things and most of those people sounded older.

Again, it’s not for me but am I missing something?

Z.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

1. I haven't played it so I can't answer.

2. Different people like different stuff. Not everyone is going to like what you like.

Why should older people not like something that younger people do?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

1: Because its not a mmorpg.  if Minecraft is a mmorpg then so is every other game that has a online feature. But still it should be on this website since there are enough games already that arent exactly mmorpgs. (not that it is a bad thing they should put whatever they want on here)

2: Because you can be creative, make friend, explore?

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I respond to one piece of your thing "On the videos the people sounded older".

Ever looked at legos and then seen some insanely complex lego structure? It wasn't built by a 10 year old. Adults like building stuff too. They just approach it in a more complex, can I do this crazy thing, approach. And plenty of adults use minecraft.

I don't think I would classify it as an MMO though.

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83
    Its a wonderful game, while i was still raiding in WoW a number years ago, if we were not raiding we were all playing minecraft together, its a really fun if you happen to be playing with a group of friends otherwise it does tend to get a little boring.
  • NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Minecraft is like a lego-based world in a way. You can make all kinds of things out of the materials at hand. If you can dream it up, you'll probably be able to build it. Within reason, of course.

On top of that you have different ways to play. You can play with others, either cooperatively or competitively. You can play survival mode where once you die, that's it. There are maps you can generate based on shared "seeds" that make the game much more challenging.

It's got a lot going for it.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    When things like diablo 3 ARE on this site, I get ops point.

Likewise terraria.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    When things like diablo 3 ARE on this site, I get ops point.

You've got to get in bed with the big boys so that you can get those "exclusives" on new releases to drive your viewer count.

• BorickBorick Member Posts: 38

I think that Minecraft is to future generations of MMO what the DIKU MUD was to the first generation.

It's only 'not MMO' to the folks who were looking to isolate and categorize what MMOs can be.

I run my own server.  I can have whatever game rules I want, with a rich selection of MODs.  I can play with upwards of 100 people at a time, which is more than I interact with in most MMOs anyway.

I can link my server to others through portals, creating instanced zones.

What minecraft brings to the genre is a re-acceptance that people want to build and create things that they can own themselves.  It allows people to build communities in the most practical fashion -- from the ground up.

Minecraft has become my family's MMO of choice because it allows me to do things like this: 

http://imgur.com/a/b6Bf2

No other MMO gives me this outlet.

Originally posted by Borick

It's only 'not MMO' to the folks who were looking to isolate and categorize what MMOs can be.

Really the term is what defines what it can be. Many games have the MO, multiplayer and online. It is the massively part that few achieve which is the ability to have thousands of people online all able to interact with each other in the world (not a lobby) at the same time.

This site is also MMORPG, so the RPG elements need to be there to. Although they seem very lax in that with some of their selections like PS1 and 2 which are not even close to RPGs.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

i played it for awhile the unlimited creativity is what draw people i think , plus the amount of mods for it are staggering. I tried it for awhile i liked it, but frankly it feels like lego's for adults with some not so great very repatative combat tacked on to make it game-like. I know they have plans to further expand the combat  down the road.

It is one of the few unique things out there in a sea of cooki-cutter games so i am not surpised it has caught on

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

1.) Its not an MMO. it ahs online but all the servers are player owned and well generally its all up to the user. Even still, its probably the best example of a sandbox out there that is an actual sandbox. If it was hosted by official servers, it would lose a lot of that appeal and feel much more stiff. 

2.) Simple: Freedom to do what you want, and plenty of mods to give you so much options. Its a creativity tool, but one that makes you WORK for it (unless your cheat creative moding it) and its ability to be modded only helps further its replay value (I'm heavily playing Minecraft for tekkit right now).

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Really the term is what defines what it can be. Many games have the MO, multiplayer and online. It is the massively part that few achieve which is the ability to have thousands of people online all able to interact with each other in the world (not a lobby) at the same time.

This site is also MMORPG, so the RPG elements need to be there to. Although they seem very lax in that with some of their selections like PS1 and 2 which are not even close to RPGs.

I understand your point, but the qualities defined by the term are flexible in how they are interpreted and implemented.

Minecraft is massive.  Perhaps not in a contiguous fashion where the servers are all linked up as zones, but I would argue that the servers are persistant in a fashion that lobby-based multiplayer games are not, and that the roleplay elements are integral with the design of the game mechanics -- it's not any sort of zero-sum 'game', but an actual world where people take on their own role, and therefore stands outside of the realm of mere 'games with online play'.

Minecraft is a massive online community.  The game is a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game, even if you want to get pedantic over semantics.  That all of the players are playing in the SAME world isn't even a claim made by the current crop of AAA giants.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Dampyre

i played it for awhile the unlimited creativity is what draw people i think , plus the amount of mods for it are staggering. I tried it for awhile i liked it, but frankly it feels like lego's for adults with some not so great very repatative combat tacked on to make it game-like. I know they have plans to further expand the combat  down the road.

It is one of the few unique things out there in a sea of cooki-cutter games so i am not surpised it has caught on

I agree.

When I bought it in alpha, the feature that excited me the most was the randomly generated worlds. However, I quickly realised the worlds maybe unique but there is nothing exciting to find in them.

I don't think I could play the game vanilla (without mods).

I understand your point, but the qualities defined by the term are flexible in how they are interpreted and implemented.

Minecraft is massive.  Perhaps not in a contiguous fashion where the servers are all linked up as zones, but I would argue that the servers are persistant in a fashion that lobby-based multiplayer games are not, and that the roleplay elements are integral with the design of the game mechanics -- it's not any sort of zero-sum 'game', but an actual world where people take on their own role, and therefore stands outside of the realm of mere 'games with online play'.

Minecraft is a massive online community.  The game is a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game, even if you want to get pedantic over semantics.  That all of the players are playing in the SAME world isn't even a claim made by the current crop of AAA giants.

Um.... no. It is not a massive multiplayer game and it is beyond simple to see that it isn't.

You can literally have millions of people playing CoD at the exact same time on different servers, it doesn't make it an MMO. Same thing with Minecraft. Having hundreds of servers with a handful of people on each does not equate to an MMO. Community size matters not.

Now if there were servers where at most times of the day 1000 people were playing together and could simultaneously all interact together on the same world, it would fit the definition.

Um.... no. It is not a massive multiplayer game and it is beyond simple to see that it isn't.

What's simple is your narrow point of view and lack of information.

There are numerous servers with population caps at 500-600 players with hundreds of players online at once and thousands stretched across linked servers.  Try Legendary Island, just to name one.   If you aren't seeing the numerous MMOs being designed using Minecraft, then you aren't looking.

I don't pretend to argue that Minecraft is Massively like WoW or Aion, but it's certainly as Massive as Global Agenda and far more massive in scope and player base than any server-based online RPG outside of WoW.