Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus for MoP... or not?

Comments

• Xfire shows hours played.  Therefore it is a mix of retention(people leave = 0 hours) and people not playing as much because they are no linger pulling 36 hours play marathons.

I would guess that a large portion of the decline in hours for GW2 is due to a decline in length of play and we are probably somewhat stable by now on that.  Subsequent losses in GW2 will probably be more about retention although that is hard to say with a game that has no sub.

MoP is currently in the stage of exhuberence and there are certainly people doing the whole play for 36 hours straight thing.  After about a week or two the xfire hours will become more stable for wow as well.

Either way I would prefer if xfire reported number of players rather than hours.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by gestalt11

Xfire shows hours played.  Therefore it is a mix of retention(people leave = 0 hours) and people not playing as much because they are no linger pulling 36 hours play marathons.

I would guess that a large portion of the decline in hours for GW2 is due to a decline in length of play and we are probably somewhat stable by now on that.  Subsequent losses in GW2 will probably be more about retention although that is hard to say with a game that has no sub.

MoP is currently in the stage of exhuberence and there are certainly people doing the whole play for 36 hours straight thing.  After about a week or two the xfire hours will become more stable for wow as well.

Either way I would prefer if xfire reported number of players rather than hours.

Thanks for clarrification.

Xfire only report people who use it. If you don't have it installed, you don't count. To really compare, you would need to know how many people from a specific game use X-fire (needs to be randomized sample of people from game also). You would also need the times those people play, since that also may vary the number of X-fire players. WHat I am saying is just because X games has more X-fire players than Y game means nothing.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Actually one of the reasons I hate GW2 is it is, outside of a couple of hidden jump puzzles, 100% hand holding. GW2 guided me every step of the way and told me exactly what to do and where to go. It marked the map with the stuff I needed to go to. It walked me step by step on getting to my next story quest every time.

Sounds like someone spent his time following hearts rather than actually exploring. The hearts were added later in development when testing showed that most testers would simply wander about aimlessly and not actually join in dynamic events ("I didn't have a quest for that"). So hearts were added to the game/map to give those that need it somewhere to go and begin the acclimation process to dynamic events. The idea is to go to a heart, do the tasks and get drawn away by events.

Events will show up on the map if they're in your immediate area. Jumping puzzles, hidden chests and areas... these don't show up and require exploration. Every zone has at least one jumping puzzle and various hidden chests waiting for the worthy explorer.

GW2 wasn't holding your hand and guiding your every step... you refused to let go of the hand.

I know you love this game and can't accept the reality of the situation so all you ever do is attack others, which was my point to your first post and will be my point to this one.

I explored, I did secret jumping puzzles, I talked to NPCs to kick off the "dynamic" events. The game is a MASSIVE handholding game and to deny that is utter ridiculousness that can't even be measured. The funny thing is, you are the one that made handholding the bad thing. Then when it was pointed out how much handholding GW2 does, you had to struggle to defend that position.

Try playing games that actually don't hold your hand. I played Asheron's Call at release and still play it today. You know what they showed you? Nothing. They didn't highlight quest givers, they didn't show you where to go on the map, they didn't tell you where or even how to complete a quest. You didn't even know for sure if an NPC was telling you about a quest or was just telling you lore as there was no "Hey you just got assigned a quest" feature. You TRULY had to explore the world to find out. That is a game that does not hold hands. They've since added a bit more direction but it is a tiny fraction compared to most modern theme parks and especially GW2.

All you do in every thread is come up with some insult to people who don't like GW2 and throw out random non-facts like those who left GW2 must need a game that holds your hand when GW2 is one of the most hand holding games ever released.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Miklosan

Can't really see why there would be any exodus for mop.

I mean, gw2 players hate World of Warcraft and its success so why would the leave for that game? No, the 1-2 million gw2 players will either stick with gw2 or jump on another bandwagon-game and pray that That Game will downthrone WoW.

There will be no Exodus for World of Warcraft but there might be for other games....

However, I'm afraid that there won't be any EXODUS from World of Warcraft to gw2 either so those approximately 10 millions will stay there!! imageimageimage

I dont like WoW. I dont hate it for being a success though. Its huge success came  at an important time in MMO history. Its success has driven the genre forward in many ways.

Originally posted by botrytis

Xfire shows hours played.  Therefore it is a mix of retention(people leave = 0 hours) and people not playing as much because they are no linger pulling 36 hours play marathons.

Xfire only report people who use it. If you don't have it installed, you don't count. To really compare, you would need to know how many people from a specific game use X-fire (needs to be randomized sample of people from game also). You would also need the times those people play, since that also may vary the number of X-fire players. WHat I am saying is just because X games has more X-fire players than Y game means nothing.

Xfire shows hours played and number of players. So you can see how much of it is people playing less and how much of it is people leaving.

The time those people play is irrelevant because XFire isn't real time, it updates by day with how many people played that day and how many hours.

Games in the same genre will typically have similar percentage of players who use XFire. So where comparing LoLs XFire users to GW2 Xfire users wouldn't give you a definitive proof of who has more players (even though we know it is LoL because the game is a juggernaught right now). But when comparing two modern theme park MMOs it is a fair comparison.

It also helps when you've compared those games and then things change. So when GW2 released their XFire numbers went up and WoW's dropped. Now that MoP came up GW2 has dropped from the number 2 spot on XFire to 4 and WoW is back up to number 2.

But really the most interesting part is how happy all the GW2 players were when WoW's numbers dropped and claimed to be the WoW killer and now they all want to say WoW going back up means nothing and GW2 is not losing players etc etc.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Ghern
    Originally posted by goozmania
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Most games do not show you where anything is on the map. The last time I played Warcraft, it sure didn't

This sentence says it all. Another misinformation source detected.

Anyone playing WoW knows you're spewing nonsense, no matter if they like GW2 or not. Quest helpers, with big arrows on the map, have been in WoW for years and years. Built in, not addons.

I don't know why I'm bothering responding to an obvious troll... but

Last time I played WoW was in 2008, and there were none. If you were near quest giving/completing npc's, the marks would show up on your minimap, but that was all. People were downloading Questhelper or Carbonite Quest to see where to go for updates.

Same in EQ2; though SOE added some very limited helpful icons on the map, people all download an add-on called "EQ2 Maps" to show them all the quest update locations. No MMO I've played has mapped out exactly where players need to go like this one does.

You played 4 years ago and you posted something as a fact?

Go play today. WoW absolutely holds your hand on quests. They tell you exactly where to go via map icons and minimap arrows pointing you in the right direction.

Like someone else said, no addon needed. Blizz added this to the game some years back. It's a "feature".

How did he say it was a fact?  He said last time he played it.  These petty accusations are becoming a real smear campaign. 

• Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Originally posted by Volkon

Actually one of the reasons I hate GW2 is it is, outside of a couple of hidden jump puzzles, 100% hand holding. GW2 guided me every step of the way and told me exactly what to do and where to go. It marked the map with the stuff I needed to go to. It walked me step by step on getting to my next story quest every time.

Sounds like someone spent his time following hearts rather than actually exploring. The hearts were added later in development when testing showed that most testers would simply wander about aimlessly and not actually join in dynamic events ("I didn't have a quest for that"). So hearts were added to the game/map to give those that need it somewhere to go and begin the acclimation process to dynamic events. The idea is to go to a heart, do the tasks and get drawn away by events.

Events will show up on the map if they're in your immediate area. Jumping puzzles, hidden chests and areas... these don't show up and require exploration. Every zone has at least one jumping puzzle and various hidden chests waiting for the worthy explorer.

GW2 wasn't holding your hand and guiding your every step... you refused to let go of the hand.

I know you love this game and can't accept the reality of the situation so all you ever do is attack others, which was my point to your first post and will be my point to this one.

I explored, I did secret jumping puzzles, I talked to NPCs to kick off the "dynamic" events. The game is a MASSIVE handholding game and to deny that is utter ridiculousness that can't even be measured. The funny thing is, you are the one that made handholding the bad thing. Then when it was pointed out how much handholding GW2 does, you had to struggle to defend that position.

Try playing games that actually don't hold your hand. I played Asheron's Call at release and still play it today. You know what they showed you? Nothing. They didn't highlight quest givers, they didn't show you where to go on the map, they didn't tell you where or even how to complete a quest. You didn't even know for sure if an NPC was telling you about a quest or was just telling you lore as there was no "Hey you just got assigned a quest" feature. You TRULY had to explore the world to find out. That is a game that does not hold hands. They've since added a bit more direction but it is a tiny fraction compared to most modern theme parks and especially GW2.

All you do in every thread is come up with some insult to people who don't like GW2 and throw out random non-facts like those who left GW2 must need a game that holds your hand when GW2 is one of the most hand holding games ever released.

Define handholding.

• Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Xfire shows hours played and number of players. So you can see how much of it is people playing less and how much of it is people leaving.

The time those people play is irrelevant because XFire isn't real time, it updates by day with how many people played that day and how many hours.

Games in the same genre will typically have similar percentage of players who use XFire. So where comparing LoLs XFire users to GW2 Xfire users wouldn't give you a definitive proof of who has more players (even though we know it is LoL because the game is a juggernaught right now). But when comparing two modern theme park MMOs it is a fair comparison.

It also helps when you've compared those games and then things change. So when GW2 released their XFire numbers went up and WoW's dropped. Now that MoP came up GW2 has dropped from the number 2 spot on XFire to 4 and WoW is back up to number 2.

But really the most interesting part is how happy all the GW2 players were when WoW's numbers dropped and claimed to be the WoW killer and now they all want to say WoW going back up means nothing and GW2 is not losing players etc etc.

It shows you players for that day, can you get it to graph players instead of hours?

It shows you players for that day, can you get it to graph players instead of hours?

No, but if it is something you are interested in you simply have to click on the game you're checking once a day and look. The same way people used to chart the numbers back when it didn't graph anything.

Most games do not show you where anything is on the map. The last time I played Warcraft, it sure didn't

Anyone playing WoW knows you're spewing nonsense, no matter if they like GW2 or not. Quest helpers, with big arrows on the map, have been in WoW for years and years. Built in, not addons.

Last time I played WoW was in 2008, and there were none. If you were near quest giving/completing npc's, the marks would show up on your minimap, but that was all. People were downloading Questhelper or Carbonite Quest to see where to go for updates.

Same in EQ2; though SOE added some very limited helpful icons on the map, people all download an add-on called "EQ2 Maps" to show them all the quest update locations. No MMO I've played has mapped out exactly where players need to go like this one does.

If WoW does so now, as you are currently indicating, then kudos to them? How does that play into the defense that GW2 doesn't "hold your hand"? Oh right, it doesn't... You're just trying to bicker and discredit people, as anyone with thousands of posts on any website often tries to do.

So you used information that was almost FIVE years old and he is the troll? Talk about just trolling for the sake of.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by grimal

Go play today. WoW absolutely holds your hand on quests. They tell you exactly where to go via map icons and minimap arrows pointing you in the right direction.

Like someone else said, no addon needed. Blizz added this to the game some years back. It's a "feature".

How did he say it was a fact?  He said last time he played it.  These petty accusations are becoming a real smear campaign. 

Guild Wars 2 is the most casual friendly, hand holding experience on the market, and I absolutely believe they intended it to be so.

Thats the quote I got out of it. If you plug your ears, close your eyes and hum loud enough, you can void yourself from the outside world. Then your opinion holds true. But once you start mixing facts with opinion is when your views get worse. If I never looked back on any game for a long period of time then looked at this one, I can assume a lot of things. Doesn't make them true since there are facts out there that can easily prove me wrong. This is one of them.

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

He made his first post. Someone corrected his statements.

Then he replies, not acknowledging that maybe his comment was in error but basically defends it in some round about way and calling someone a possible troll for his reply.

The way I interpeted that was he was presenting the information as a fact. My interpertation.

Originally posted by eggy08

Guild Wars 2 is the most casual friendly, hand holding experience on the market, and I absolutely believe they intended it to be so.

Thats the quote I got out of it. If you plug your ears, close your eyes and hum loud enough, you can void yourself from the outside world. Then your opinion holds true. But once you start mixing facts with opinion is when your views get worse. If I never looked back on any game for a long period of time then looked at this one, I can assume a lot of things. Doesn't make them true since there are facts out there that can easily prove me wrong. This is one of them.

I actually meant to respond to the part in red with my last post. 

He made his first post. Some corrected his statements.

Then he replies, not acknowledging that maybe his comment was in error but basically defends it in some round about way and calling someone a possible troll for his reply.

The way I interpeted that was he was presenting the information as a fact. My interpertation.

Where did he say it was fact in a prior post?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by eggy08

GW2 offers plenty of content for casual gamers for sure...but it most definitely is not "casual exclusive."

Just try going to an explorable dungeon, or a place called the Obsidian Sanctum in WvW ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Disclaimer: I put ZERO stock in xfire numbers. But for those that do: Here ya go.

Why, yes, I would indeed appear, like GW2 has peaked in Xfire . . . a while ago . . .

BELIEVERS!  gather round!  Your Metacritic efforts have NOT been enough!   You are failing the Masters!  Redouble your efforts.  More accounts!  More accounts!   More 10's  do not yield an inch, your Lords compel you!  (And in between breaks remember to spend more on the Black Lion Trading Company - Digital goods for all occasions! )

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Are you actually crying about the metacritic scores? Whats wrong cupcake did your game not get a good enough score?

You might want to actually look into the Black Lion Trading Company before spouting out tripe like this. You can play GW2 without ever spending real money in the store. Saying anything else is just lies and uninformed hatred. But your GW2 posting history is full of such educated posts this must have just been a one time thing for you.

just got my 6th character slot of an extra bag slot just by trading gold for gems no real money needed:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

[mod edit]

just got my 6th character slot of an extra bag slot just by trading gold for gems no real money needed:)

I expect nothing less from a well informed player and poster such as yourself.

[mod edit]

How much gold does that cost? I might be interested in doing that too.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

[mod edit]

I expect nothing less from a well informed player and poster such as yourself.

+1

(this is probably my shortest post of all,srry about that!

but just needed to agree ^^ )

a pic to compensate ;)

• GeevesGeeves Member UncommonPosts: 149

Colored the relevant bit for you. WoW not doing so in 2008 was cited as evidence which was rightly pointed out as stupid.

You're welcome.

Fact is most games DO show you where things are on the map.

MUNDO!!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

[mod edit]

How much gold does that cost? I might be interested in doing that too.

varies depending on exchange rate.. right now about 1 gold will net you little over 250 gems.. costs 800 gems for a new character slot and 400 gems for a bag slot.. not cheap but still not spending a dime in real cash if you don't want to.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Geeves

Colored the relevant bit for you. WoW not doing so in 2008 was cited as evidence which was rightly pointed out as stupid.

You're welcome.

Maybe his memory was off a bit?  He says in the yellow part that is how he remembered it.   I don't think it's fair to jump on a guy if his memory isn't 100% accurate after 4 years.   But have you guys shown that he is in fact wrong?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You're welcome.

Maybe his memory was off a bit?  He says in the yellow part that is how he remembered it.   I don't think it's fair to jump on a guy if his memory isn't 100% accurate after 4 years.   But have you guys shown that he is in fact wrong?

2008 WoW didn't show you where. All the quest said was "To the North. or "In the a cave to the south." You could get quest helper though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Disclaimer: I put ZERO stock in xfire numbers. But for those that do: Here ya go.

I'm more surprised that SWTOR has more hours played and Eve. 

Wait....

that can only mean....

OMG! EVE IS TOTAL FAIL AND GOING F2P TOMMORROW!!!!!'

/cries

This discussion has been closed.