Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World is 50% off this weekend From Funcom

Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Funcom announced that The Secret World is 50% off "this weekend only" directly from their site.   http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

If you don't have the game, now would be a good time to pick it up! 

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

Comments

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

I was able to download the client for free for the 3 day trial.

If I did decide to sub is Funcom actually going to try and charge me $60, (now $30)?

I certainly hope not because there is no way I am paying that for this game.

If so someone at Funcom needs to re-evaluate their pricing plan.

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Ghern

I was able to download the client for free for the 3 day trial.

If I did decide to sub is Funcom actually going to try and charge me $60, (now $30)?

I certainly hope not because there is no way I am paying that for this game.

If so someone at Funcom needs to re-evaluate their pricing plan.

And if not then Funcom's pricing plan is fine with you?

If you have the trial and an account, go ahead and try clicking on the purchase tab to see what price pops up.

IF it's 30$, then go for it.  If not, then well,...don't.   I cannot tell you what it wil do as I am not on trial and my options are obviously different than yours. 

Good luck!

Actually, it looks like it is 24.99$,..not 30.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

EDIT:  looks like it reads This WEEKEND only,...I take that to mean Saturday and Sunday? I will look further into it.

On the buy page it will still let you buy it, of course, but bear in mind the discount wont be till the Weekend I guess.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Why would you buy, the CEO has more or less said the game is going free to play.  Much better if you are on the fence about this game to sit and wait, see what happens.  No point spending money on a game you might get for free before the end of year.
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by gwei1984
    Originally posted by fallenlords
    Why would you buy, the CEO has more or less said the game is going free to play.  Much better if you are on the fence about this game to sit and wait, see what happens.  No point spending money on a game you might get for free before the end of year.

Is it really necessary, that you sit in front of the class computer every school break and try to troll this forum? You could just go outside and play some Yu-gi-Oh with your class mates in the yard. They wont be laughing at you, i swear.

I would say based on current evidence it's an accurate assessment of the fate of the game. CEO has stated the tools are there for it to go free to play, so it's not like they didn't see that as a contingency.  50% off now seems quite a desperate move rather than a sound deal.  What in effect are you buying? Something that everybody else will get free in a short time.   Now if the CEO has stated subscribers/owners of the game were in for a mega deal once it does go free to play, then it would be worth picking up.   But he didn't, and they probably won't be entitled to anything above and beyond what people will be able to buy.  So in essence buying now might be a waste of money.   If people are going to waste money donate it to a good cause or something, don't give it to Funcom.

• RockmonkeyRockmonkey Member Posts: 1

I play TSW on the three day trail as soon as it was re-enabled (i actually had 7 and a bit days before the account 'froze'), I went to my funcom accounts and the price is £19.00 (half price) which comes with 30 days play. So with the sub normally being £11.49 per months thats £8,51 for the digital down load.

This IS a good offer I would take it if I was you. It will be a while before the game goes F2P if it does and when games change from pay to play to free to play existing accounts always get some kind of bonus and would not expect TSW to be any different.

Bite the bullet, take the pain... get your credit card out ;)

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Finally....

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    I doubt many will buy it. People who have heard of it already call it a failure. Im not going to recomend it (lifetimer here) until the fix the countless bugs, re-vamp the horrible endgame, and actually add pvp.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Worth getting at that price even if you just play it a month. It's a really good rpg.
  • GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    Originally posted by Beacker
    Originally posted by Sigurd57

Funcom announced that The Secret World is 50% off "this weekend only" directly from their site.   http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

LOL Hope you're not holding your breath... transitioning to F2P ('Freemium' no doubt) would take a lot longer than 3 months.

Originally posted by GR3NDEL

LOL desperate is as desperate does..

Indeed f2p by xmas for sure

LOL Hope you're not holding your breath... transitioning to F2P ('Freemium' no doubt) would take a lot longer than 3 months.

They built f2p in the game from the gate as per several interviews. While it would not be an overnight flip the switch deal  it will be fast.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

They built f2p in the game from the gate as per several interviews. While it would not be an overnight flip the switch deal  it will be fast.

Ah.  So you *are* holding your breath.  Got it.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Anything Funcom does to get more players is good thing imho.  F2P needs to make them money somehow, so that remains to be seen how that's implemented when that happens.

Ah.  So you *are* holding your breath.  Got it.

Id be honestly surprised if they have 30k subs left how many sub based mmos survive on that?

Originally posted by jdnyc
    Anything Funcom does to get more players is good thing imho.  F2P needs to make them money somehow, so that remains to be seen how that's implemented when that happens.

Exactly f2p is not the end of the world look how it helped ddo and lotro

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

The dummies need to go B2P immediately and figure out how to properly reward the lifers.

If it was $20 with free leveling to the cap and no sub, I'd probably buy it.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

The dummies need to go B2P immediately and figure out how to properly reward the lifers.

If it was $20 with free leveling to the cap and no sub, I'd probably buy it.

They dont know how to. They gave lifers 30k bonus points to only say "oh btw they expire in 3 months and we will add new stuff to cash shop after they expire".

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

They dont know how to. They gave lifers 30k bonus points to only say "oh btw they expire in 3 months and we will add new stuff to cash shop after they expire".

The points were for beta testers not lifer's 

But they have also added new stuff to the cash shop during those 3 months + all the original items people could have bought ... So your point is moot