Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pet battle system is surprisingly deep

expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

just a shame blizzard didn't add in some kind of leader board like they have for dungeons.  

With over 100 pets all unique in same way in regards to attack speed,damage,dodge, family type and skills you'd be hard pressed come up against the same combo of pets from battle to battle.  It's kept me busy while I have waited for the rush over on Pandaria to be over, hopefuly this weekend I'll start leveling my actual character rather then flying around old azeroth finding new pets and leveling them up.

+1 to blizzard for adding this.

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Sounds pretty cool actually-

Now, is this including all the vanity Pets of old as well or only certain new pets? Not that I plan on returning to WOW, but I had suggested this on their Forums FOREVER during vanilla/BC that we be allowed to battle our Pets and train them.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Is the pet battle thing an endgame type thing or something that if I resub I could play on my level 60 characters?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• UmirshandUmirshand Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Now, is this including all the vanity Pets of old as well or only certain new pets? Not that I plan on returning to WOW, but I had suggested this on their Forums FOREVER during vanilla/BC that we be allowed to battle our Pets and train them.

All the vanity pets yes, but the kicker is, all pets are ACCOUNT bound, instead of that single character. this goes for mounts as well :)

"Look at me when I'm hitting you!"

Originally posted by Umirshand

All the vanity pets yes, but the kicker is, all pets are ACCOUNT bound, instead of that single character. this goes for mounts as well :)

Sweet, tyvm.

I remember grinding for HOURS to get the Dragon Pet (think it was a wyvern) and selling it on the AH for huge money. Had a pretty cool white bear too which Blizz gave out one year.

Damn- You guys suck for telling me this. I MIGHT have to resub for a month and check this out....

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Umirshand

My lvl 85 shadow priest on Skywall did not have the pets & mounts my level 85 shadow priest on Ysera has. I don't think they are shared. Not sure about captured pets.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Is the pet battle thing an endgame type thing or something that if I resub I could play on my level 60 characters?

It's came out with MOP but it's not a MOP exclusive, it avaliable to all players no need to have MOP or a high level character.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/feature/pet-battle

Originally posted by expresso
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

It's came out with MOP but it's not a MOP exclusive, it avaliable to all players no need to have MOP or a high level character.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/feature/pet-battle

Well, you twisted my arm... I am doing it.

I quit playing after buying WOTLK (which I hated) so there is probably a TON of stuff I have yet to see. BUT if I can experience the Pet system without having to do anything but resub- I am in.

I have been wanting something like this for years. Hell, I have alot of awesome pets (almost everything from Vanilla and BC plus a few limited Pets as well) and I always wanted them to do something other than follow me around.

-Man, I still hate you guys for telling me this. I promised myself I would NEVER go back to WOW and its been several years. I will be resubbing in a few hours and checking this out all weekend- Hell, HOW does WOW always keep bringing me back????

Damn you Blizz...Damn you...

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920
    My issue with it is that there is no opting out of the Battle System. Some of those vanity pets were ones I paid money for and it appears that you are locked out from them unless you pay the gold and train for Pet Battles, something I have no interest in.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I've tried to split my time between leveling, brewfest, and pet battles.  I have failed at this miserably lol.  My monk is only level 51, and haven't gotten to any of my 85s.  I've done one set of dailies for brewfest only.  Most of my time has been spent with pet battles.  This is very fun for me.  I have a team set up of about 20 regular pets that I use, most of them are rares that I have caught.  Rare pets make a big difference later on in the game.  I have alot of the battle pet achievements already done.  I beat all the trainers except the ones in pandaria.  I can't get enough of the pets.  I gotta catch 'em all lol

My only gripe about it is once you get into the 20s, the battles are really hard.  I lose all the time with my level 22 Beetle, level 22  Lava Crab, and level 25 Adder.  All are rares that I've caught.  The weakness and strengths play a huge role later on in battles.  If you don't have a strength against your opponent, you're going to lose, or it'll be very close.  If you are weak to them, you can forget about it lol.

Edit:  It could use some improvements.  Like if after you kill a pet, you should have the option to choose a pet without getting attacked next round while your opponent gets to switch out for a free turn.  And another thing, I wish you could catch more than 1 pet per battle.