Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why has ArenaNET downgraded reporting Selling Gold as a priority?

Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Or have they? Recently, I logged back into GW2 to get a little playtime in before my daily routine. My usual experience after logging in is quickly IDing the gold sellers/powerlevelers, putting them on my block list and promptly reporting them under the tag of Scamming. Before the lastest patch scanning the options on their list  included:

• Botting
  • Inappropriate Character Name
  • Spamming
  • Verbal Abuse
  • Scamming

They have quitely added Selling Gold to that list. And honestly I don't know the reason for a need to change what was already in place. Personally to me, selling gold IS scamming. But it could possibly mean one of several things:

• Data mining for an actual percentage of gold sellers reported
  • Downgrading the priority of gold selling reports
  • To seperate scammers (account farming) from gold sellers
  • Upgrading the priority of actual scamming reports

And what could be the reason for the concern now? Could it be that selling gold is undercutting the cash shop now? And by undercutting I mean players are skipping gems all together for purchasing gold directly because it's far cheaper than exchanging gems to gold. Or could it mean that account farming is a bigger issue that needs more attention for now? For me I just think that Scamming was a better fit for these gold sellers and powerlevelers, because both are basically scamming the system in place. And now that I think about it, you could see this in two ways:

1. The glass is half empty (ArenaNET is doing this for their own benefit)
  2. The glass is half full (ArenaNET is doing this to help their playerbase)

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

If I'm not mistaken, Anet said to report gold users as "Spamming" before.

Good thing they added a new category.

IMO Anet simply wasn't prepared to the level of attention the game would be attracting dispite all the talks of wanting to be number 1. Even after having 1 million beta signups in 48 hours and having 1 million pre-purchases, GW2 is most likely 2 to 3 times bigger than GW1 ever was.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Why would it be a downgrade to specify the type of reports given each week to plot trends? I don't see how relevant this topic is to the issue stated :|?
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    The reason they added it was because people were reporting it incorrectly just like you. Some one sending you in game mail and using map chat to advertise gold selling webistes is Spamming. They added "Gold Selling" so people would stop reporting them the wrong way. Also makes it easier for them to prioritise their tickets and shut them down as quickly as possible.
  • spitfire1064spitfire1064 Member Posts: 61

"A wise man has something to say, But a fool just has to say something." 

Practice what you preach.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I don't remember there being a scamming tab but whatever. I and many others (probably) weren't sure under which tab to report it. (spamming, botting?) It is smart they made a seperate gold seller tab.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

A lot of people were actually confused about what to list the goldselling as in their reports. Some said scamming thinking like you, others spamming, which is what it actually is, because they're spamming the messages over and over, and others thought botting, because they're likely not actual people sending the messages.

It's not exactly a scam because they're selling you something and actually following through. A scam would be them taking your money and giving you nothing in return.

Botting is just an assumption, and bottng is meant for people that are just leveling in one area non-stop witha program telling the character to shoot at stuff or whatever, while the actual player isn't playing.

But glad they cleared it up so more people will put it in the right category.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

How is selling gold a scam? 

Scam:n.
    A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.

tr.v., scammed, scam·ming, scams.
    To defraud; swindle.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I'd say they upgraded reporting selling gold as a priority by giving it its own easy to find and distinctive bucket.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by spitfire1064

+1

BTW I have noticed that when I get GS mails the names of the GS aren't the usual "ghfgf" and so on like at launch. They "seem" to be real names. Makes me wonder how many hacked accounts there really are out there. I ALMOST feel sorry reporting them.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

A little bit of both.

Of course they don't want third parties selling gold, that's just common sense. But also i don't think it's particularly why they added the gold sales option to the report feature (which I agree completely). Scamming can refer to two things, one is scamming for comercial gain (gold or account selling, poweleveling) or in-game scamming (receiving materials to craft something and running away, for example). Both could fall in the same category, but the severity and punishment are completely different, so it makes sense to put them on separate categories in the reporting tool.

Also, if you check the oficial forums, the bots are one of the big things that people are complaining about, and bots are almost always associated with gold selling, so I guess they're trying to take a stronger stance against both.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Not worth voting on your silly loaded choices."Scamming" has to do with cons usually seen in 1:1 trading. "Spamming" is repetitive messages on chat channels or by email, some benign ("Guardian LFG TA Story") some annoying and some selling gold.

"Spamming" not "scaming" as you were misreporting, was the only option previously to report gold salales advertising in chat or emails. Now it has it's own clear option.

It's just a tweak and hardly even worth mentioning.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by bartoni33
    Originally posted by spitfire1064

+1

BTW I have noticed that when I get GS mails the names of the GS aren't the usual "ghfgf" and so on like at launch. They "seem" to be real names. Makes me wonder how many hacked accounts there really are out there. I ALMOST feel sorry reporting them.

Don't feel bad. If the person who's account it belongs to is lucky Anet will shut down the account before all of the items and money have been sold off of it.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Extreamly stupid poll. More options is always better...
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I meant no insult in my curiosity into why AernaNET added a new option under the reporting feature. Just playing devil's advocate a little and looking for a genuine discussion to boot.

Gaia_Hunter: I never heard of AernaNET's instructions to report gold selling as anything specific before.

SneakyRussian: Maybe they did it because other issues have more priority over it. It does happen you know.

Xzen: Selling something offered through a legitimate source to circumvent that legitimate source is scamming by both parties involved.

Spitfire1064: Promoting conversation that invites no one correct response is the whole point of having something to say. If I led with a closed ended statement about this topic I could then see your point.

Aviggin: Scamming the system in place is scamming just like scalping tickets in front of a ballpark is running a scam in the eyes of the establishment you are at.

Uhwop: It is NOT a legitimate business as outlined by the user agreement.

Volkon: That is one possiblity

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    maybe they are just trying ot improve the game, what a concept

I miss DAoC

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Wait.. you report people who power level. So do you auto report every 80 u see. Hope I'm not on your server.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I always reported gold sellers as "Spamming"
  • SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920
    This is actually a result of player feedback. A number of people on the official forums were asking for this to help ArenaNet separate gold sellers from other forms of spamming such as guild recruitment and that sort of thing.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

If I'm not mistaken, Anet said to report gold users as "Spamming" before.

Good thing they added a new category.

IMO Anet simply wasn't prepared to the level of attention the game would be attracting dispite all the talks of wanting to be number 1. Even after having 1 million beta signups in 48 hours and having 1 million pre-purchases, GW2 is most likely 2 to 3 times bigger than GW1 ever was.

I used 'scamming' because I look at it as a scam.  

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    You might be thinking too hard about this.They obviously want to do something about it. No company especially a B2P company wants bots eating up money they could be getting.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

I meant no insult in my curiosity into why AernaNET added a new option under the reporting feature. Just playing devil's advocate a little and looking for a genuine discussion to boot.

Gaia_Hunter: I never heard of AernaNET's instructions to report gold selling as anything specific before.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates/Archive_1

Thursday 6th.

And some tweets.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I reported it as spamming too.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I put people that send me gold buying ads on my blocked list and I report them for selling gold. I have noticed by looking at my blocked list some of those people are not bots sitting about in Orrs, they're running about grouping with everyone like anyone else. They're playing the game but sending us gold ads. I would ecourage everyone to start blocking those people that send you gold mail and then watch to see who you group with out there in Orrs, there's a lot of them that seem just like every other joe out there but they're spamming you. Don't group with them.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

The title and the contents of the thread make no sense at all.

They added a seperate option for "Selling Gold" to make it a HIGHER priority, not lower. Wether you used Spamming or Scamming as your method of reporting before, gold sellers are mixed in with people actually spamming and annoying other players, and people scamming eachother in trades. Lumping them all together makes it much harder to filter out the gold sellers and take care of them quickly. Having a seperate "Selling GOld" option puts them all in 1 seperate place where they can instantly confirm that it is a Gold Seller and ban them quickly.

• shane242shane242 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    to split them out, gives them better stats on the history of number or report, and also lets them focus the support. Why would it have to be a matter or importence?