Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'Bots overrun GW2' a very good read.

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Today alone I got three gold seller letters for one character. Not sure how bad that makes the problem as for botters well economy will definitely be an issue as real money is involved in the buying of gems. They need to address this problem as real money is involved and honestly will not be surprised they get into some legal problems if they do not as it affects real money people get upset and sue.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by kitarad
    Today alone I got three gold seller letters for one character. Not sure how bad that makes the problem as for botters well economy will definitely be an issue as real money is involved in the buying of gems. They need to address this problem as real money is involved and honestly will not be surprised they get into some legal problems if they do not as it affects real money people get upset and sue.

Just as a info since I assume because of your wording that you don't know that yet, when you receive a email, you will see it with any of your characters you login cause the email is account based when it comes to items that you sent or received or player emails. :)

Only emails from hearts, dungeons or exploration seems to be character based so far.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

NewsFlash: GW2 being a "BuyToPlay" product does not have the resources on hand to "deal with" and "track" hundreds of thousands of botters at once.

Oh, also the article doesn't clearly define "botting" as opposed to "multiboxers".

I've come across quite a few multiboxers who got their first account after launch to 80 in a couple days and wanted the challenge of multiboxing 5 toons at once. These are LEGAL accounts, but the automated chumpkins are the ones that need banning.

No and they never banned tens of thousands of bots in GW1 either, maybe had a 0 extra to the end even. But please, keep shitting on things you know nothing about.

I do know about it. Maybe they weren't banning them as fast as you would like but they did.

You know nothing about it and are just a hater. Your purile answer shows that.

Rift still has them when they can get in. GW2 is the next game they focused on and when the next big one comes out they will move on.

As I said, if people didn't buy the gold, they wouldn't be there in the first place

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Raekon

Oh great attitude there!

You are the one to talk ehh?

Do you even know that the trading post were indeed available even the first days or weeks to some?

And i did mention that TP was on for couple of hours a day and it used to go down again. it happened for a week or so and then it went down for good for another week. But if you are going to say it was continuously avilable to some for weeks while others had zero access to TP,  then you are just bull sh** me and i am not buying it.

Except if you are THAT full of yourself  thinking that only because it wasn't for you it wasn't for anyone.

No it has nothing to do with me being full of myself especially when Anet was annoucing it on twitter and facebook and even on official forums regularly about  TP being unavilable. This was something that was universal with ocassional one to two hours of uptime a day.

To answer your question: No, you don't need "my permission" to post here nor did I ever said so.

Good we made that clear.

There are also OTHER types of topics one can create but some people here tend to only jump in here and start negative threads 24/7 with straw arguments most of the time which is tiring in the meantime.

Topic was about 'botting' till you and the other genteleman tried to derial it into something it wasn't.

Most of all since we had all these types of topics constantly here and discussed the SAME things over and over and over again each and everyday.

It is very easy to ignore the topic you don't like and focus on somethign you like? i don't think anyone forced you to read this?

So if you want to offend only because you don't like to be corrected and acting all up saying others are in denial only because they didn't came across ANY bots for weeks anymore I can't assure you that  you are not the only person on this planet you know.

I have no problem if you didn't come across any bots, but in situtaions like this you look at the majority and not the experince of minority. Just like how people claim GW2 has no bugs and one just needs to have a look at BUG SECTION to see the whole picture. Fans like you will always deny everything. No surprise there.  But reality is that BOTTING is a serious issue. And i care because i like this game.

If you saw a bot somewhere then it's fine with me, I however didn't and the gold emails have nothing to do with it either.

That is exactly what i was trying to say.

I just mentioned gold spammers and the mail because it was the only form of a hacked account I came across recently and I already mentioned in my post that most of the bots AND gold spammers came through it.

Also mentioned it as one of the solutions that were added recently (selecting Gold Seller while reporting through mail) only because someone in this very topic said that "nothing has been done" which isn't true.

Thanks for "letting me know" that gold spammers are not bots but I already knew the difference.

Maybe the next time you read a reply you should consider that not the whole reply is directed to you?

Just for your info aswell:

Queensdale is outside of divinitys reach, I was there for hours yesterday and completed the area as also did a dungeon run after. So even I run through the whole area there were no bots around at all.

It might be the case that you have some on your server, I can't tell, overgeneralizing the whole situation because of that doesn't justify the whole thing cause there are definately more than one servers in game though.

And over simplification and just denying that you didn't see bots outside Divinity(s reach so it must be not a serious problem is also not a justification. And i am aware that this situtaion differs from server to server. Or could you be kind enough to show me where i generalised and said all servers will have same experince with bots?

Thanks for derailing my topic though. How hard it is for you people not to read and just move on? you people try to down play everything that is troublesome with GW2 whether it is bugs or bots. And it is getting tiresome. If you can't handle crticism of GW2.... that is your problem not mine. This is not some 'GW2 sucks or fail' topic that you are getting all riled up.

OP wasn't even mine, i simply linked to the original post on official forums because i believe it is a good read on current botting problem.

• AshluraAshlura Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by halflife25

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Bots-Overrun-Guild-Wars-2/first#post258913

I really enjoyed this article and agree with the conclusion.

Clearly botting is just too easy in Guild Wars 2 and the only people it is hurting are the legit players who will quickly begin to lose interest in the game if ArenaNet does nothing to acknowledge this problem in a bigger, more aggressive way.

They dont care. Just quit. Dont accept mediocre service. If you walked into a car dealership and asked them to test drive a car you were interested in and they tell you "No, either buy it or dont" are you going to buy a car from them?

So why would you play a game that has bots over running it? Dont play.

The people have more power in this industry than they know. Play a different game. Give a different company your money from now on and never go back to a company that gave you shit service to begin with. If more gamers played like this and accepted nothing but the best, it would happen. Shit game companies would be placed out of business never to return.

Dont accept it, just quit. Your lack of presence kills a company.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Do you even know that the trading post were indeed available even the first days or weeks to some?Except if you are THAT full of yourself  thinking that only because it wasn't for you it wasn't for anyone.

Um... Arenanet actually said the TP was down for EVERYONE when it happened, it wasn't available to certain people, what BS.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Yes it was down and they acknowledged it. How come people are lying about that now ? Sure does not give them any credibility just mad fanboism.

Oh great attitude there!

Do you even know that the trading post were indeed available even the first days or weeks to some?

And i did mention that TP was on for couple of hours a day and it used to go down again. it happened for a week or so and then it went down for good for another week. But if you are going to say it was continuously avilable to some for weeks while others had zero access to TP,  then you are just bull sh** me and i am not buying it.

Except if you are THAT full of yourself  thinking that only because it wasn't for you it wasn't for anyone.

No it has nothing to do with me being full of myself especially when Anet was annoucing it on twitter and facebook and even on official forums regularly about  TP being unavilable. This was something that was universal with ocassional one to two hours of uptime a day.

To answer your question: No, you don't need "my permission" to post here nor did I ever said so.

Good we made that clear.

There are also OTHER types of topics one can create but some people here tend to only jump in here and start negative threads 24/7 with straw arguments most of the time which is tiring in the meantime.

Topic was about 'botting' till you and the other genteleman tried to derial it into something it wasn't.

Most of all since we had all these types of topics constantly here and discussed the SAME things over and over and over again each and everyday.

It is very easy to ignore the topic you don't like and focus on somethign you like? i don't think anyone forced you to read this?

So if you want to offend only because you don't like to be corrected and acting all up saying others are in denial only because they didn't came across ANY bots for weeks anymore I can't assure you that  you are not the only person on this planet you know.

I have no problem if you didn't come across any bots, but in situtaions like this you look at the majority and not the experince of minority. Just like how people claim GW2 has no bugs and one just needs to have a look at BUG SECTION to see the whole picture. Fans like you will always deny everything. No surprise there.  But reality is that BOTTING is a serious issue. And i care because i like this game.

If you saw a bot somewhere then it's fine with me, I however didn't and the gold emails have nothing to do with it either.

That is exactly what i was trying to say.

I just mentioned gold spammers and the mail because it was the only form of a hacked account I came across recently and I already mentioned in my post that most of the bots AND gold spammers came through it.

Also mentioned it as one of the solutions that were added recently (selecting Gold Seller while reporting through mail) only because someone in this very topic said that "nothing has been done" which isn't true.

Thanks for "letting me know" that gold spammers are not bots but I already knew the difference.

Maybe the next time you read a reply you should consider that not the whole reply is directed to you?

Just for your info aswell:

Queensdale is outside of divinitys reach, I was there for hours yesterday and completed the area as also did a dungeon run after. So even I run through the whole area there were no bots around at all.

It might be the case that you have some on your server, I can't tell, overgeneralizing the whole situation because of that doesn't justify the whole thing cause there are definately more than one servers in game though.

And over simplification and just denying that you didn't see bots outside Divinity(s reach so it must be not a serious problem is also not a justification. And i am aware that this situtaion differs from server to server. Or could you be kind enough to show me where i generalised and said all servers will have same experince with bots?

Thanks for derailing my topic though. How hard it is for you people not to read and just move on? you people try to down play everything that is troublesome with GW2 whether it is bugs or bots. And it is getting tiresome. If you can't handle crticism of GW2.... that is your problem not mine. This is not some 'GW2 sucks or fail' topic that you are getting all riled up.

OP wasn't even mine, i simply linked to the original post on official forums because i believe it is a good read on current botting problem.

- Yes, I'm the one to talk because you started it by being immediately offended only because I had a different opinion and because I said that its not entirely true that the "game" (yes you didn't say your server, you said the game) is filled with bots.

- Did I say anywhere that it was on the whole week?

the TP was indeed online in between but not everyone had access, I know it because I was wondering myself when I all of sudden had access and when I asked others in LA, they told me they didn't.

At a later point ANet indeed said that they are making it available to some for testing purposes for a few hours daily before they will be bringing it up again. So at times I had access some of the others didn't and when I didn't, they had access.

After that they started bringing it up for everyone for a few hours and taking it back down again.

- I also talked about botting and nothing else so why say I derailed the thread?

Wanna play the blame game now or what?

- I posted in other topics aswell and since you were offended by my question before asking if you needed my permission, I could go ahead and ask you the same question now after what you just wrote?

- Aha!  With other words me and others that didn't came across bots for the last few weeks are not worthy enough to share their experience with the game on their server cause our opinion is  "minor" while you and your opinion are "major"?

I guess that's why what I say is immediately surpressed by you saying I'm in denial and "oversimplify" things right?

Probably because your exaggeration wouldn't be as valid then anymore?

And over simplification and just denying that you didn't see bots outside Divinity(s reach so it must be not a serious problem is also not a justification.

- Good job on trying to turn my own words in my mouth while turning everything else the way it suited you so you can prove your point cause I'm such a "bad person" that denies and derails everything. Laughable to say the least.

Or did you miss that I had wrote the following: It might be the case that you have some on your server, I can't tell,

It's not oversimplification when one says I was at that place on my server and it was bots free so it might be your server as also that it's not the same on every server. It's the truth.

If you wanna exaggerate further then go ahead and do as if half of the servers population are bots like a other guy already did.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Ashlura

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Bots-Overrun-Guild-Wars-2/first#post258913

Clearly botting is just too easy in Guild Wars 2 and the only people it is hurting are the legit players who will quickly begin to lose interest in the game if ArenaNet does nothing to acknowledge this problem in a bigger, more aggressive way.

They dont care. Just quit. Dont accept mediocre service. If you walked into a car dealership and asked them to test drive a car you were interested in and they tell you "No, either buy it or dont" are you going to buy a car from them?

So why would you play a game that has bots over running it? Dont play.

The people have more power in this industry than they know. Play a different game. Give a different company your money from now on and never go back to a company that gave you shit service to begin with. If more gamers played like this and accepted nothing but the best, it would happen. Shit game companies would be placed out of business never to return.

Dont accept it, just quit. Your lack of presence kills a company.

That's some pretty hefty advice. Quit at the first sign of a problem. Do you play many games? [mod edit]

imageimage
  • VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Really? I have yet to see any botters but then maybe it is because I don't let them get in the way of enjoying the game. I am level 64, having a blast, fully immersed and loving the game :)

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

Originally posted by TeknoBug

Um... Arenanet actually said the TP was down for EVERYONE when it happened, it wasn't available to certain people, what BS.

Did I say that it was on the whole time?

If you don't understand something you read then ask first before you start blaming someone?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by kitarad
    Yes it was down and they acknowledged it. How come people are lying about that now ? Sure does not give them any credibility just mad fanboism.

No one is lying about anything, it was up for like 20 minutes at times and other times for several hours for testing purposes.

During that time some had access while others didn't, they even wrote about that so maybe you should first ask if you don't undrestand something instead calling others liars immediately.

Thanks!

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

This might come as a shock to people that haven't played past level 60 and think GW2 is the best thing since sliced bread.  But you'd be hard pressed to design a better system for botters.

From the completey insane legendary requirements, to the predicatable spawn and event timers, and down to the simplistiic and boring node gathering system.

Good luck getting rid of botting in GW2.  ANet had bigger issues to fix then catching bots.

- Yes, I'm the one to talk because you started it by being immediately offended only because I had a different opinion and because I said that its not entirely true that the "game" (yes you didn't say your server, you said the game) is filled with bots.

I am sorry but do you want me to break down every servers population for you? ofcourse i will say game has lots of bots. Even Anet acknowledged that. So what kind of proof you are looking for exactly? if botting problem wasn't sever Anet wouldn't take notice of it. I think they have better understanding of how many bots are running around in the game. However, players can only make opinion on basis of amount of complaints on forums and what they see in game.

So if i never come across a single bot or only say couple of bots in weeks doesn't mean i will go around telling people 'it is just a minor' problem. That is what you were trying to imply here. You didn't see a lot of bots on your server so problem isn't severe. Sorry but the world doesn't revolve around you.

- Did I say anywhere that it was on the whole week?

the TP was indeed online in between but not everyone had access, I know it because I was wondering myself when I all of sudden had access and when I asked others in LA, they told me they didn't.

At a later point ANet indeed said that they are making it available to some for testing purposes for a few hours daily before they will be bringing it up again. So at times I had access some of the others didn't and when I didn't, they had access.

After that they started bringing it up for everyone for a few hours and taking it back down again.

Once again, my topic isn't about TP. There is difference between saying TP didn't go down at all and saying that TP was down most of the day with ocassional 2 to 3 hours up time. Go back and re read the original post i quoted. There was no argument to begin with.

- I also talked about botting and nothing else so why say I derailed the thread?

Wanna play the blame game now or what?

You are more concerned about what i said about TP being down rather than my original topic which is about botting. Even accusing me for spreading negativity.

- I posted in other topics aswell and since you were offended by my question before asking if you needed my permission, I could go ahead and ask you the same question now after what you just wrote?

Dude..Stop saying word 'offended' oer and over again. I am not offended but i do grow tried of obnoxious attitude of fans who get up in arms moment something negative is posted about GW2 no matter how genuine and relevant.

- Aha!  With other words me and others that didn't came across bots for the last few weeks are not worthy enough to share their experience with the game on their server cause our opinion is  "minor" while you and your opinion are "major"?

I guess that's why what I say is immediately surpressed by you saying I'm in denial and "oversimplify" things right?

Probably because your exaggeration wouldn't be as valid then anymore?

Reading comprehension problems? when did i say your opinion is minor? didn't i made it clear that it is allright if you didn't come across any botters but why try to hold your experince as some objective truth and shrug of the problem saying it is 'minor' or that people are just exaggerating it? all the posts that people post regularly on official forums, screenshots and videos.are those all lies? if problem is not as server as you claim it to be Anet is not the company that would just acknowledge it for the fun. I am sure they have lot of serious issues to deal with right now.

And over simplification and just denying that you didn't see bots outside Divinity(s reach so it must be not a serious problem is also not a justification.

- Good job on trying to turn my own words in my mouth while turning everything else the way it suited you so you can prove your point cause I'm such a "bad person" that denies and derails everything. Laughable to say the least.

Or did you miss that I had wrote the following: It might be the case that you have some on your server, I can't tell,

It's not oversimplification when one says I was at that place on my server and it was bots free so it might be your server as also that it's not the same on every server. It's the truth.

The truth is that, i could give a damn about your server and your experince. Your experince against the experince of thousands and acknowledgement by Anet regarding boting is all the truth i need.

If you had simply come in to share your experince and say 'hey guys maybe i am lucky to be on server which has no bots.' i would understand but what  you are trying to do here is using your own personal experince to undermine the whole botting problem and simply labeling it as an 'exaggeration' or 'minor' problem.

If you wanna exaggerate further then go ahead and do as if half of the servers population are bots like a other guy already did.

I don't need to exaggerate anything. There is plenty of information about it on official forums and for those who are ready to acknowledge the problem with an open and un biased mind they would realise that botting is severe and not somethign to just shurg off.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I love ANet. I really love GW2.

Botting is a serious problem. However, the responsibility is shared between both ANet AND players.

Hackers are not stupid. For every defense someone makes, there will be a new attack. ANet will need to get on the ball in defending against the most rampant hacks. Right now, ANet has been using a tourniquet (anti-farm code) to stop the bleeding, but  keep a tourniquet on too long and the whole game starts to atrophy.

However, there is a reason botters bot: to make money. Players purchasing gold are equal in the blame.

As long as there is a market, botters will continue to attempt to hack. ANet is fighting a battle on two fronts: killing botters/sellers and perma-banning the buyers.

I'm assuming they will attempt to ban bots in one fell swoop to avoid them figuring out bot detection methods. However, something needs to be done soon.

And I mean SOON.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Vorch

I'm assuming they will attempt to ban bots in one fell swoop to avoid them figuring out bot detection methods. However, something needs to be done soon.

And I mean SOON.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366025/Anet-Speaks-on-Botting.html

/thread

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Stx11
    Originally posted by Vorch

And I mean SOON.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366025/Anet-Speaks-on-Botting.html

/thread

And now I love them even more. Took a bit longer than I would have liked, but they seem to have their shiz together.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• I really haven't seen that many bots.  Spamming yes, lots of it.  But I haven't seen many actual farming bots.  Not like Aion where they were everywhere the first month or two.
  • Originally posted by Sentime

This might come as a shock to people that haven't played past level 60 and think GW2 is the best thing since sliced bread.  But you'd be hard pressed to design a better system for botters.

From the completey insane legendary requirements, to the predicatable spawn and event timers, and down to the simplistiic and boring node gathering system.

Good luck getting rid of botting in GW2.  ANet had bigger issues to fix then catching bots.

Hold on are you saying botting in Orr would be easy?  Are you sure you made it past 75? 

Please describe to me an easy way to bot orichalum gathering.  I would like to know.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by moguy2
    It isnt the botters that are ruining it. It is the people that buy the currency from them that is ruining the game. Dont buy it and they have no reason to show up and bot. Viscious cycle huh?

I guess same can be said for those who sell drugs? they are not the one ruining people lives  it is the people who buy the drugs doing it to themselves. Drug dealers are after all just providing a service right?

The people who buy the drugs ARE doing it to themselves, no demand = no need for a supply.

You proved the other posters point with your poorly formed analogy.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Originally posted by Dragonantis

GW2 isnt the first game to suffer bots, and you can bet it wont be the last.

My recommendation is do your part as a player, dont buy gold, dont visit gold sites, and report any bot you see.

You know?, in the last 7 months a game like swtor didnt have a single bot or goldspammer, and you can find more games out there in the same situation, so having bots, hackers and goldspammers is not an excuse even worse when anet is doing nothing. 

If you dont see gold sellers it means the game is not worth them getting into. You are here spreading misinformation AGAIN. You dont like Gw2 and you are obvious about it.

Saying Anet is doing nothing is a blatant lie.

Originally posted by GolbezTheLion
    It isnt the botters that are ruining it. It is the people that buy the currency from them that is ruining the game. Dont buy it and they have no reason to show up and bot. Viscious cycle huh?

I guess same can be said for those who sell drugs? they are not the one ruining people lives  it is the people who buy the drugs doing it to themselves. Drug dealers are after all just providing a service right?

The people who buy the drugs ARE doing it to themselves, no demand = no need for a supply.

And you just proved ince again that how easy is it to always blame the players for everything.Anet must be out of their mind to waste all this time on bots and gold sellers right? and my analogy is a perfect example about deman and supply. Not that i agree with your views.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

All i can say is that i haven´t seen a single farming BoT since headstart in my EU Spanish server.

Just some gold spaming to my in-game mail...like in every other MMO i´ve played...nothing more...

But that´s just my experience so far...

I applaud ArenaNet for fighting them where ever they are though.

• PatsilverPatsilver Member UncommonPosts: 14

I'm on Devona's Rest server and it is over run with bots. Everywhere I go there are groups of bots. I've reported every bot /i see and they're still there. I think on this server there are more bots than actual players.

Has Anet said anything about fixing this?

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

And you just proved ince again that how easy is it to always blame the players for everything.Anet must be out of their mind to waste all this time on bots and gold sellers right? and my analogy is a perfect example about deman and supply. Not that i agree with your views.

But he has a valid point. If drugs are such a huge problem, like hackers and gold sellers, then why hasn't the government been able to get rid of each and every one of these? Becuase there are so many of them, and not enough people to help catch them all. Is it the governments fault that there are drug sellers out there? No, and they put the effort in to stop them.

BTW, the government can track each and every transaction and item that comes into this company, so if you think "well GW2 made the game, so they should be able to regulate it easier", you're dead wrong. It takes the same amount of consideration on how much you want to effect the current people with this whole problem in either case. If you raise the standards on drug smuggling and the government cracks down more, it puts more strain on the average person who has nothing to do with drug deals. Same with GW2, the more you stop the methods of gold selling, the more GW2 has to crack down on the playerbase. They could get rid of any gold transactions, then they have to go to the TP and sell it that way. Then they have to track the TP for suspicious items and the people who buy it. All these factors hurt the general population of the game and none of it might actually fix the problem. Stop acting like you know exactly how a company is run or a game is operated, because honestly I can assure you that it isn't as easy as pushing a "ban all the gold sellers" button.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174

I see a lot of people saying "I haven't seen any bots". Understandably, that may lead you to underestimate the problem. This video shows just how bad it can get:

Remember, each of those bots is keeping a real player from joining.